Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:16 pm
  

Wanderer

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 5:42 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Canada
Hello

I was just wondering if a SDC character (Coalition Grunt with a Vibro Sword) can Parry a supernatural creature (Monster Slayer with a Vibro sword)

Since swords are not impact weapons would it be possible


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:38 pm
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
AP78 wrote:
Hello

I was just wondering if a SDC character (Coalition Grunt with a Vibro Sword) can Parry a supernatural creature (Monster Slayer with a Vibro sword)

Since swords are not impact weapons would it be possible


Of course it would be possible.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:11 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:10 pm
Posts: 2244
Yep.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:39 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm
Posts: 1016
Location: Ina-Godda-Da-Vida
Sure can :)

_________________
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:
My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:16 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 12:14 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Joplin, Mo: Cenobite country
a well done parry does not require strength. Now a block however. ow!
'course palladium doesn't cover blocking really. They have kinda wrapped it under one term.
Parry is a go with the force defense. Which eliminates damage done to whatever your parrying with.

New hth technique? Free for all forms of combat.
Blocking: Instead of rolling with punch, when a parry fails, the character can choose to "throw their arms up in thier face" (use roll with punch/impact bounus). The roll works as per normal roll/impact. But instead of taking half damage to a specific target like to the head/face, it would go to the arms. Pulverized hands versus clean head shot. Half damage can still be pretty incredible in some situations. Its more of an oh *&%# block, because you probnably wouldn't want this to be the first option you go to since the character takes damage.
This is good for those of you who run with sdc by location for everything.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:29 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:08 pm
Posts: 386
Location: portland, or
i would say that the character can parry a supernatural attck, but that there would be knock-back involved to the sdc character. plus the character may ended up with a broken or damaged arm(s) and lose his weapon.

_________________
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
Image
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.


          Top  
 
Offline
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:02 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:33 pm
Posts: 457
Location: canaduh
Comment: nothing left and nothing right
i realize parry is a 'soft' move (deflection) as opposed to a direct force versus force blocking move, but i generally make people dodge melee attacks from extremely large or strong opponents (or guys with massive weapons) in my fantasy game. it gives a bit more realistic feeling to combat when you cant stand toe to toe with a guy 6 feet taller/400 lbs heavier than you IMO :)


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:09 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:10 pm
Posts: 2244
Yea sometimes you just have to dodge out of the way.

LIke the dragon stomp mentioned earlier.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:27 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: South of the Devil's Gate (St. Louis, MO)
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
I don't allow it. To me it just doesn't make sense to have a 98-pound weakling able to turn aside a godling's (or other suitable being that can lift vehicles) strike.

In instances where standard strength takes on supernatural, only dodges or rolls work in my games. Of course, that is different when the standard strength is high enough to be a rough equivalent to a low Supernatural strength.

_________________
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:19 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 8:21 pm
Posts: 2395
Location: Salem, Oregon
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.
jade von delioch wrote:
i would say that the character can parry a supernatural attck, but that there would be knock-back involved to the sdc character. plus the character may ended up with a broken or damaged arm(s) and lose his weapon.


We see this in movies all the time where one guy who is much more powerful then the other just knocks the little guy around.

_________________
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:04 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 4435
Location: Pits of Dyval
yes


but the cs soldier would be at the minimum bruised. and at worst a brocken bone.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:17 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:08 pm
Posts: 386
Location: portland, or
i agree that some attacks can not be parried, like the dragon stomp or a gaint doing the belly flop on your head..

however, using cinomatic action in a RPG hurts no one and the players enjoy this type of stories telling extremely, expecialy if they get to live. Even if they do walk/limp/carried away broken.

_________________
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
Image
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:00 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 am
Posts: 177
I will have to say thats a no as well, standard strength can't parry augmented imo.

Think of a human in body armor trying to parry superman when he hits the normal armored human with a lamp post or even a sword. Superman is going to cleave through him and kill him because his strength is on a different level. The same thing applies to rifts, Coalition human grunt with vibro sword vs. a Godling with a vibro-sword...Godlings strength overpowers the human and the godling deals damage to the humans armor. Only a dodge is possible when faced with someone with a different strength category.

At least thats the way it goes in the games I play. Standard strength can't parry robotic PS or supernatural but can parry people with normal strength. Robotic can parry normal strength and other robotic strength individuals but can't parry supernatural. Supernatural can parry anything...you could also have a difference in strength rule, if a characters strength that is in the same category but is significantly higher then they can overpower.

Its true that parrying an attack is more finess that power, but regardless you still need the strength to parry the incoming attack or else you'll be overpowered, the same thing would happen if you attempted to block an attack that is leveled against you with someone who had a greater strength than you.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:10 am
  

Adventurer

Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:32 am
Posts: 683
I would say that anything can be parried, if it isn't traveling too fast and you get your roll. Though depending of who or what you are parrying, you might get knocked back 10+ feet, disarmed, ect. A parry is not a full strength blow, so I would say that getting disarmed or breaking a wrist or both would be the most likely of scenarios. Getting knocked back... hmmm, maybe, but you would very likely be disarmed at the same time.

It's not a question about being able to parry, of course you can, it's being able to hold onto your weapon, and if you are, how tightly are you holding onto it? Too tight to be knocked out but not as tight as your can would prolly result in a broken wrist, as tight as you can(i.e. locking your wrists and bracing yourself) would prolly result in being pushed back a good number of feet.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:17 am
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Warwolf wrote:
I don't allow it. To me it just doesn't make sense to have a 98-pound weakling able to turn aside a godling's (or other suitable being that can lift vehicles) strike.

In instances where standard strength takes on supernatural, only dodges or rolls work in my games. Of course, that is different when the standard strength is high enough to be a rough equivalent to a low Supernatural strength.


So then your answer is actually, "Yes, I do allow it, in certain circumstances."

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:37 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:08 pm
Posts: 386
Location: portland, or
Ahulane wrote:
I will have to say thats a no as well, standard strength can't parry augmented imo.

Think of a human in body armor trying to parry superman when he hits the normal armored human with a lamp post or even a sword. Superman is going to cleave through him and kill him because his strength is on a different level. The same thing applies to rifts, Coalition human grunt with vibro sword vs. a Godling with a vibro-sword...Godlings strength overpowers the human and the godling deals damage to the humans armor. Only a dodge is possible when faced with someone with a different strength category.

At least thats the way it goes in the games I play. Standard strength can't parry robotic PS or supernatural but can parry people with normal strength. Robotic can parry normal strength and other robotic strength individuals but can't parry supernatural. Supernatural can parry anything...you could also have a difference in strength rule, if a characters strength that is in the same category but is significantly higher then they can overpower.

Its true that parrying an attack is more finess that power, but regardless you still need the strength to parry the incoming attack or else you'll be overpowered, the same thing would happen if you attempted to block an attack that is leveled against you with someone who had a greater strength than you.


yes. but even a superman comic or movie is done in just a way to inspire adventure. So the lamp post never cleves through the villian, but does knock him clear to next week in a full body cast...

_________________
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
Image
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:42 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 am
Posts: 177
Quote:
yes. but even a superman comic or movie is done in just a way to inspire adventure. So the lamp post never cleves through the villian, but does knock him clear to next week in a full body cast...


True, but those are just the unrealistic aspects of supermans retartedly high strength. Catching a person falling from a building while flying at full speed should snap them in half but never does.

In reality if you try to parry someone who has a baseball bat and he is doing an overhead vertical swing and you try to parry, you need to both have the strength to deflect part of the attack and have your weapon in a good enough angle that his attack slides off it instead of pounding into it, plus you'll need to have some amount of maneuverability incase he compensates and applies more pressure or force to his attack. Basically it means if you don't have the strength or training you can't properly parry someone who is stronger than you or better in combat. If you do try to parry then your opponent will overpower you and both you and your weapon will suffer.

If you want a fairly decent example of how it works since its really hard to explain it by typing and alot easier to explain it with some sort of visual reference, check out the anime Berserk and watch the episodes where Gatsu fights Griffith the 1st time when Griffith says "if you beat me in combat you can go free" and again near the end where Griffith makes the same proposition. Griffith in the beginning is both stronger at the time and more skilled, even when Gatsu is 100% Griffith is still at roughly the same level of strength but is more skilled than him. In the fight near the end of the series Gatsu has bulked up significantly to almost superhuman levels for both his strength and his fighting skill while Griffith hasn't really improved all that much.

1st fight, Griffith easily parries his attacks and repeatedly stabs Gatsu
last fight, Gatsu wins in 1 hit because Griffith is unable to overcome the sheer amount of power that Gatsu is hitting him with.

Quote:
It's not a question about being able to parry, of course you can, it's being able to hold onto your weapon, and if you are, how tightly are you holding onto it? Too tight to be knocked out but not as tight as your can would prolly result in a broken wrist, as tight as you can(i.e. locking your wrists and bracing yourself) would prolly result in being pushed back a good number of feet.


Grip strength only really applies to your ability to be disarmed both when you attack or someone activly tries to disarm you...bad grip will result in you dropping your weapon or possibly injuring yourself when you attack.

If someone with far greater strength than you hits your weapon and you lock your wrists and brace yourself, the person attacking is going to power right through your defense and a number of things will happen to you.

1) you risk injuring yourself if your unable to withstand and deflect the attack.
2) your weapon will either take the full force of the attack and then be knocked from your hands or it'll take as much punishment as it can before it breaks.
3) the attack simply crushes your defense and hits you with so much force that you can't withstand it and he hits you and your weapon resulting in severe pain and anguish.

The whole knockback thing is for effect...in real life you don't go flying 10 ft if someone like superman hits you with a lamp post...in real life you go splat and get wrapped around the post in a gooey mess while bits of you splatter. When someone hits you they don't stop right when they connect, they keep powering on through, if they were stop the second they hit you then ya you might get some air time depending on how hard they hit.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group