Chi-Town, mapped and described?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Re: Chi-Town, mapped and described?

Unread post by JTwig »

the_robot wrote:To the best of my knowledge, there is no stated information about Chi-Town proper. Am I correct on this? No maps, descriptions, population break-downs or anything like that?

I'm planning on running a Chi-Town burbs based campaign pretty soon, and I'd like the characters to eventually get access (see: sneak) into Chi-Town, and I'm wondering what its like inside the fortress walls. What info I could find breaks the city (and I can therefore assume all the other fortress cities) into levels, the higher up the more influential and prosperess the population. The highest levels are restricted to the most elite members of Coalition society, and the heads of the state and military leaders. That much I get, but what do these levels look like? Who can access which levels?

Has anyone set an adventure behind the walls of a fortress city? How'd you do it? I've got some ideas about it myself, I'm just looking for further input.

The only info I've seen on the inside of Chi-Town was in the short story name One in a Million (I think that was the title). It talks about some of the locations on the lower levels, but I'm sure that info is far from canon. Still you might want to check it out, as it might give you a feel for the envirnment and at the least some ideas.

Sorry I don't recall which Rifters it was in.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Yeah, those are really the only two sources I know of about the inside of Chi-Town, though Rifter #37 or #38 has some fan material on the defenses of the fortress cities. Kevin hinted at the fact that he has already developed ideas regarding the inside of Chi-Town, but that he simply doesn't have the time to sit and write the book for it. :-(
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I am utterly confused why there is not a Chi Town book considering it is the heart of the Coalition. I would think that would be the best selling World Book ever.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Spinachcat wrote:I am utterly confused why there is not a Chi Town book considering it is the heart of the Coalition. I would think that would be the best selling World Book ever.

Yup.

Back in the day, I kept expecting Chi-Town to be the next worldbook, but they just kept coming out with World Tour nonsense about places that our party will probably never go.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

My understanding was that Kevin was basically leaving it up to individual GMs to flesh it out to on their own.

However, I agree that it would be nice to have a common basis for the layout of the Chi-Town archology, the burbs, and the surrounding environs.

IMHO, such a book would sell like snow cones in Hades...:demon:
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Re: Chi-Town, mapped and described?

Unread post by jedi078 »

the_robot wrote:Has anyone set an adventure behind the walls of a fortress city? How'd you do it? I've got some ideas about it myself, I'm just looking for further input.

I just started a low powered game set within the walls of Chi-Town on www.rpol.net where the PC are dissidents during the Tolkeen war.

Most of the info we have on Chi-Town is in the RMB and RUE world overviews, which breaks down the levels. CS law and the ISS is in CWC.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Spinachcat wrote:I am utterly confused why there is not a Chi Town book considering it is the heart of the Coalition. I would think that would be the best selling World Book ever.
My personal theory, put forth in these Forums long ago (actually only a year or two ago by now), is that Kevin CAN'T make the inside of Chi-Town because

A]] It is probably impossible to design the fortress-city as impermeable to infiltration by magical creatures as canon says it is (in Rifts: Merctown, there was finally a canon infiltration by a vampire in mist form to get inside, scope out the city, and make it back out 'alive');

B]] It'd probably take a Sourcebook and a half to describe all of its levels and security features even if Kevin did try;

C]] Kevin may very well be doing his own version of the Lady of Pain Syndrome by not giving Chi-Town physical stats;

and

D]] There are 20+ years of expectations of what Chi-Town should be, and I'd bet good money that if there are a million Rifts fans in the world, there are a million different views of same; Kevin might very well be afraid to take on such a monumental quest and potentially disappoint all and sundry (although I'd bet good money that we'd all gladly rush out to buy a Rifts: Chi-Town Sourcebook even if it only had Doggie Doo between its covers).
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.

Back in the day, I kept expecting Chi-Town to be the next worldbook, but they just kept coming out with World Tour nonsense about places that our party will probably never go.

Agreed and seconded.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

EPIC wrote:
Darkly Dreaming Sureshot wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.

Agreed and seconded.

agreed and thirded

still waiting for that Lazlo and Tolkien books too.
Tolkeen Sourcebook, you say??

Cover: More awesome art by Zeleznik.
First page: A foreword by Kevin Siembieda and the usual warning to those idiots who believe that pen-and-paper RPGers secretly use such games as "gateway drugs" to learn how to summon Satan and the entire Infernal Host.
Second Page: A listing of Authors for the internal Source material and a secondary listing of the artists.
Third Page: A shot of Tolkeen rubble, painstakingly drawn by Ramon Perez.
Fourth Page: A shot of Tolkeen rubble, painstakingly drawn by Steve Dubisch.
Fifth page: A shot of Tolkeen rubble, painstakingly drawn by the awesome art skills of Wayne Breaux.
Sixth Page: A shot of Tolkeen rubble, painstakingly drawn by.....

256 pages of Tolkeen rubble, yours for only $34.95!!

Due to ship in August!!

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

the_robot wrote:Now, a Lazlo book would be great!

Hear, hear! Chi-town would be cool, but seeing as a lot of character types would never be able to ever go into it, I'd rather have Lazlo.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

the_robot wrote:Now, a Lazlo book would be great!

Carmen said something about taking a crack at that one at the OH. However, only time will tell. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Derelict wrote:I'm working on mapping the entire RIFTS North American continent right now, and once I get a general idea of the NC, I'll flesh out the major cities and my more specific, "special" GM areas. When I'm done, I may throw up some of the PDFs or images on the net. I'm simply expanding on the info/maps included in the GM's guide, mixing in info and locations of major sites in the world from the Ultimate Edition. This will include pretty specific maps of Chi-Town, Lazlo, what's left of Tolkeen, Old Bones, etc. Pretty much everywhere you want to go in North America, I'm gonna' try to do. After I finish the human inhabitable places of Canada and the former US, maybe I'll even tackle the Vamp Kingdoms down South.

Just chimin' in.
maybe if you make a decent enough map of Chi-Town's innards, Kevin Himself will be impressed enough to put it into a Rifter or even make it part of a whole Sourcebook of its own!

Hope springs eternal.

oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

Wasn't there an adventure book dealing with Chi-Town? I believe it was about breaking int othe Vault. I would believe it would have much info about the city itself and some maps.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

oni no won wrote:Wasn't there an adventure book dealing with Chi-Town? I believe it was about breaking int othe Vault. I would believe it would have much info about the city itself and some maps.
Nope, just the Vault itself.

No other information about Chi-Town whatsoever.

Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Ok so there is no official description of chi-town various levels and security forces. Then why we dont create that description?

I mean: Map all levels of Chi-town and then apply it here in the boards for evaluation.

I dont know how to draw but I know that several other people here in the boards do draw and quite good so why not make a internal map of Chi-town ourselves?

That is just a chalenge that I put forward.
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

...And so, the many voices were heard throughout out the realm...

...let them be heard by those of power and regard...

...prayers be granted...shall this hope come to pass...

...let a new worldbook be created...

:P
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."

Return to “G.M.s Forum”