Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:38 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:27 am
Posts: 1
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Post up some of the weird things you do while creating characters like when you roll a 6 on a d6 you again and add that to your score, or like adding in the skill bonus of +5 when you create the character making it a 55% instead of 50%, or even things that you do while creating a character like watch a specific movie or play music. And even post things that you do while trying to create a campaign to run or even just a little mission.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:30 pm
  

User avatar
Supreme Being

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 2476
Location: On the threshold of a dream
This message has been moved to the GM's Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.

_________________
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:55 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Canada
KillerGuy wrote:
Post up some of the weird things you do while creating characters like when you roll a 6 on a d6 you again and add that to your score, or like adding in the skill bonus of +5 when you create the character making it a 55% instead of 50%, or even things that you do while creating a character like watch a specific movie or play music. And even post things that you do while trying to create a campaign to run or even just a little mission.


...generally we try not to cheat too much. The bonus we add AFTER 1st level. However, our GM has recently brought about a new rule for our upcoming campaign -- 1's count as 6's for human character generation. We don't use the RUE bonuses for low attributes but we do use the penalties.

_________________
Jesus saves, but the rest of you all take 5D20 damage.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:14 pm
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:15 am
Posts: 218
Location: Loganville,GA
Not for making characters, but before everyone game I roll the "Death" d100. If it comes up a 1 I have said that my Rifts Earth will have been torn asunder by the magic of the ley lines and will no longer run the game.


It has always put everyone in the mood to play. And of course so far has not happened, but everytime the suspense is maddening.


As to whether or not I would actually quit........(as none of my players are on here) I don't know if I would. I love Rifts too much.

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:50 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:01 am
Posts: 8916
Location: Port Eclipse
The Sovereign wrote:

...generally we try not to cheat too much. The bonus we add AFTER 1st level.



interesting, I kinda like that.

some people are snakebit dice-rolling wise, so I'd be willing to let them take the average rather than roll, so say they're playing a wizard who gets 3D6 PPE at the next level, they could roll and take their chances or take 10.

that might work with weapons and damage. never roll bad, but never roll good either.

_________________
"What the hell's an Aluminum Falcon ?" Papa Palpatine -- Robot Chicken, Star Wars Edition
Multiple Image
Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:00 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 8:21 pm
Posts: 2395
Location: Salem, Oregon
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.
Roll 3d8's for attributes, no re-rolling ones and no bonus roll for a 16 and above.

This gets you an attribute that is between 3 and 24. I also use the RUE low att rules.

_________________
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:45 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:32 am
Posts: 683
We roll three time for each stat and pick the best, usually.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:09 am
  

Adventurer

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:50 pm
Posts: 598
A weird way to create a campaign?

Randomly select things, could be OCCs or Super Powers or Locations or Terrain types, whatever. Then take the random pile of nouns and string a story together and see what develops.

_________________
Image GM Geek Points: 200


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:51 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 1999
Location: WI
never will use it for PCs unless I just give a (fecal matter) but Lee's Useless Superheroes does wonders to relieve some tension in a game

_________________
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:04 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:08 pm
Posts: 4
:-? I draw pictures of a character, then write up a personality then roll stats. I sometimes use a 2 flip rule where you can flip a stat with another but are limited to only flipping two.

I never exactly know what I'm going to draw so its an interesting way to create characters.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:48 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 4274
Location: chillicothe, ohio; usa
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
humans roll 8 stats as per the rules then place to taste all other races roll down the stat block.
exploding die rule applies to all races and all stats not just the ones that are 3d6.
skill limits are only applicable at character creation.
HP, SDC, PPE, & ISPall start at max.
MDC PCs must random die roll for MDC.

and of course all of these are subject to alteration based upon the needs of the preliminary plot...

_________________
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Chicago, IL
This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:57 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:26 am
Posts: 110
Location: Eagan, MN
New characters roll three sets of stats, and pick the one they like best. If they don't like any of them, they can roll a fourth set, but they must use that set. Stats are assigned down the sheet in the order rolled.

That said, overall I prefer systems that use build points during character creation (e.g. Champions) and leveling. Someday I'll have to figure out a set of house rules to do Rifts character creation/leveling with build points.

Brent


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:49 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 4274
Location: chillicothe, ohio; usa
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
the_robot wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.

_________________
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:45 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:02 am
Posts: 693
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Comment: Molon Labe
Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.


I swear this rule was actually printed in a Palladium published book. Maybe in the first printing of TMNT RPG, the one were skills were broken down by College, High School, and Street (self taugh).


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:49 pm
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:15 am
Posts: 218
Location: Loganville,GA
JTwig wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.


I swear this rule was actually printed in a Palladium published book. Maybe in the first printing of TMNT RPG, the one were skills were broken down by College, High School, and Street (self taugh).


Umm it is printed in a lot of them. Its not someones houserule someone wanted to know what it is.

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:42 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:02 am
Posts: 693
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Comment: Molon Labe
Nulsyn wrote:
JTwig wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.


I swear this rule was actually printed in a Palladium published book. Maybe in the first printing of TMNT RPG, the one were skills were broken down by College, High School, and Street (self taugh).


Umm it is printed in a lot of them. Its not someones houserule someone wanted to know what it is.


Ah, I understand. I was just thrown off by the post combined with the title of the thread. My bad!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:36 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Chicago, IL
Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.


Ah, ok. That is in RUE, I just wasn't aware of the name.

Also...

Damian Magecraft wrote:
humans roll 8 stats as per the rules then place to taste all other races roll down the stat block.
exploding die rule applies to all races and all stats not just the ones that are 3d6.
skill limits are only applicable at character creation.
HP, SDC, PPE, & ISPall start at max.
MDC PCs must random die roll for MDC.

and of course all of these are subject to alteration based upon the needs of the preliminary plot...


This is more or less exactly what I do. Except I re-roll all 11's...also, I tend to re-roll any numbers that repeat...superstitions...*shrug* The 11's comes from a character I rolled up for D&D, and ALL his stats were 11! Never saw play, obviously, but turned me off the number 11 forever...


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:46 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:52 pm
Posts: 1529
Location: Lehigh Valley, American Empire, Earth
Weird ways?
Well, on my very first Rifts game I had my players, who knew almost nothing at the time, point randomly at a map of Rifts Earth, then gave them some OCC/RCC options from the area they pointed at. The fun part was the one that pointed at that funny landmass in the Atlantic. Heh. From there I worked out what I could.

Actually kicked off my most recent campaign similarly, basicly said "Alright, pick whatever kind of character you want from anything Palladium, I'll figure out the rest." Fortunately I have relatively reasonable players, the most powerful character is very likely the Pleasure Bunny Barmaid. :lol: :quiet:

_________________
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:48 pm
  

D-Bee

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:18 pm
Posts: 18
I don't know if it's weird, but I start campaigns from a single NPC out rather than a story line. Approximately fifty "What if?" questions later I have the bones of a couple plot lines.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group