Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:38 am

D-Bee

Post up some of the weird things you do while creating characters like when you roll a 6 on a d6 you again and add that to your score, or like adding in the skill bonus of +5 when you create the character making it a 55% instead of 50%, or even things that you do while creating a character like watch a specific movie or play music. And even post things that you do while trying to create a campaign to run or even just a little mission.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Supreme Being

This message has been moved to the GM's Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Adventurer

KillerGuy wrote:
Post up some of the weird things you do while creating characters like when you roll a 6 on a d6 you again and add that to your score, or like adding in the skill bonus of +5 when you create the character making it a 55% instead of 50%, or even things that you do while creating a character like watch a specific movie or play music. And even post things that you do while trying to create a campaign to run or even just a little mission.

...generally we try not to cheat too much. The bonus we add AFTER 1st level. However, our GM has recently brought about a new rule for our upcoming campaign -- 1's count as 6's for human character generation. We don't use the RUE bonuses for low attributes but we do use the penalties.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:14 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Not for making characters, but before everyone game I roll the "Death" d100. If it comes up a 1 I have said that my Rifts Earth will have been torn asunder by the magic of the ley lines and will no longer run the game.

It has always put everyone in the mood to play. And of course so far has not happened, but everytime the suspense is maddening.

As to whether or not I would actually quit........(as none of my players are on here) I don't know if I would. I love Rifts too much.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:50 pm

Palladin

The Sovereign wrote:

...generally we try not to cheat too much. The bonus we add AFTER 1st level.

interesting, I kinda like that.

some people are snakebit dice-rolling wise, so I'd be willing to let them take the average rather than roll, so say they're playing a wizard who gets 3D6 PPE at the next level, they could roll and take their chances or take 10.

that might work with weapons and damage. never roll bad, but never roll good either.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:00 pm

Champion

Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.
Roll 3d8's for attributes, no re-rolling ones and no bonus roll for a 16 and above.

This gets you an attribute that is between 3 and 24. I also use the RUE low att rules.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:45 pm

Adventurer

We roll three time for each stat and pick the best, usually.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:09 am

Adventurer

A weird way to create a campaign?

Randomly select things, could be OCCs or Super Powers or Locations or Terrain types, whatever. Then take the random pile of nouns and string a story together and see what develops.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:51 am

Champion

never will use it for PCs unless I just give a (fecal matter) but Lee's Useless Superheroes does wonders to relieve some tension in a game

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:04 am

D-Bee

:-? I draw pictures of a character, then write up a personality then roll stats. I sometimes use a 2 flip rule where you can flip a stat with another but are limited to only flipping two.

I never exactly know what I'm going to draw so its an interesting way to create characters.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:48 am

Knight

Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
humans roll 8 stats as per the rules then place to taste all other races roll down the stat block.
exploding die rule applies to all races and all stats not just the ones that are 3d6.
skill limits are only applicable at character creation.
HP, SDC, PPE, & ISPall start at max.
MDC PCs must random die roll for MDC.

and of course all of these are subject to alteration based upon the needs of the preliminary plot...

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 pm

Explorer

This might be a stupid question, but what is the exploding dice rule?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:57 pm

Explorer

New characters roll three sets of stats, and pick the one they like best. If they don't like any of them, they can roll a fourth set, but they must use that set. Stats are assigned down the sheet in the order rolled.

That said, overall I prefer systems that use build points during character creation (e.g. Champions) and leveling. Someday I'll have to figure out a set of house rules to do Rifts character creation/leveling with build points.

Brent

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:49 pm

Knight

Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
the_robot wrote:
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:45 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Molon Labe
Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:
When rolling 3d6 if a 16-18 is rolled you roll an addtional d6; if that roll is a 6 roll one addtional d6 again; a maximum of 2 addtional dice may be rolled in this manner, thus creating a possibility for a score of 3 to 30.

I swear this rule was actually printed in a Palladium published book. Maybe in the first printing of TMNT RPG, the one were skills were broken down by College, High School, and Street (self taugh).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Dungeon Crawler

JTwig wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:

I swear this rule was actually printed in a Palladium published book. Maybe in the first printing of TMNT RPG, the one were skills were broken down by College, High School, and Street (self taugh).

Umm it is printed in a lot of them. Its not someones houserule someone wanted to know what it is.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:42 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Molon Labe
Nulsyn wrote:
JTwig wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:

Umm it is printed in a lot of them. Its not someones houserule someone wanted to know what it is.

Ah, I understand. I was just thrown off by the post combined with the title of the thread. My bad!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:36 pm

Explorer

Damian Magecraft wrote:
the_robot wrote:

Ah, ok. That is in RUE, I just wasn't aware of the name.

Also...

Damian Magecraft wrote:
humans roll 8 stats as per the rules then place to taste all other races roll down the stat block.
exploding die rule applies to all races and all stats not just the ones that are 3d6.
skill limits are only applicable at character creation.
HP, SDC, PPE, & ISPall start at max.
MDC PCs must random die roll for MDC.

and of course all of these are subject to alteration based upon the needs of the preliminary plot...

This is more or less exactly what I do. Except I re-roll all 11's...also, I tend to re-roll any numbers that repeat...superstitions...*shrug* The 11's comes from a character I rolled up for D&D, and ALL his stats were 11! Never saw play, obviously, but turned me off the number 11 forever...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:46 pm

Hero

Weird ways?
Well, on my very first Rifts game I had my players, who knew almost nothing at the time, point randomly at a map of Rifts Earth, then gave them some OCC/RCC options from the area they pointed at. The fun part was the one that pointed at that funny landmass in the Atlantic. Heh. From there I worked out what I could.

Actually kicked off my most recent campaign similarly, basicly said "Alright, pick whatever kind of character you want from anything Palladium, I'll figure out the rest." Fortunately I have relatively reasonable players, the most powerful character is very likely the Pleasure Bunny Barmaid. :lol: :quiet:

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:48 pm

D-Bee

I don't know if it's weird, but I start campaigns from a single NPC out rather than a story line. Approximately fifty "What if?" questions later I have the bones of a couple plot lines.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.