Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: Question about Dragons?
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:53 pm

Explorer

Just wondering if you guys know if Dragons are considered reptiles and cold blooded?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:45 pm

Explorer

We were just running a campaign where 3 of the 5 party members went invis or shadow meld. Just wondering if the Dragon which could be cold blooded? May remain undetected if the dragon was cold blooded if the opponents were using heat sensors.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:13 pm

Palladin

Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Warm blooded.

Dragon Blood is not only poisonous but steaming (sometimes scalding) hot.

The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:21 pm

Palladin

Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
sawg138 wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Warm blooded.

Dragon Blood is not only poisonous but steaming (sometimes scalding) hot.

Isn't that just the fire dragon from RUE?
I don't have RUE (yet).

I was quoting readings from other texts including Palladium Books Presents Gods and Dragons (which includes conversion notes for Rifts™)....

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Hero

Definitely warm blooded.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:59 pm

Supreme Being

walross1978 wrote:
Just wondering if you guys know if Dragons are considered reptiles and cold blooded?

Nope, they're warm-blooded mammals.

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:28 am

Adventurer

Warm blooded and when wounded the blood is scalding hot for the few moments ( may be longer, I dont have the books in front of me ATM).

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:52 am

Knight

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
walross1978 wrote:

well if they have any possisile relation to dinosaurs (which has been hinted at a few times) then they are not mammals, but warm blooded archosaurs

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:53 am

Knight

Location: Using Shini's bake goods to take over the freelancers minds!!
Comment: Goodbye Cruel world.... Wait, I'm back.
Tinker Dragoon wrote:
walross1978 wrote:

I don't think a dragons a mammal, warm blooded ya but not a mammal. :-D

"I have a technique of my own to counter you lot! It's called 'radio comlink' SUMMON NINJABUNNY STEALTH GUNSHIP SQUADRON!"

I am a customer First and a Fan second.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
"The party IS over if Ninjabunny's not there."

Member of the Cabal of 24.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:07 pm

Supreme Being

They are specifically stated to be mammals in the books. Apparently, they're monotremes, like the platypus and echidna.

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:04 am

Adventurer

I'm not so sure a dragon would be a considered a mammal?

Isn't one of the main characteristics of being a mammal having body hair? Unless your speaking about the Wooly Dragon... I don't see much body hair on a dragon.

Also another main criteria is that the females have mammary glands(produce milk). So where are the dragon breasts? So does drinking dragon milk give you supernatural strength?

Dragons lay eggs & most mammals don't lay eggs.

(The platypus and echidna which are the only two mammals that lay eggs.) I personally think those two species are incorrectly classified. (Enchidna's don't have teeth, which is needed to be classified as a mammal.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:29 am

Explorer

I think the milk producing is the only mammal criteria and you don't need breast for this as milk oozing between skin joints (or in this case between scales) counts. I think the criteria for mammal couldn't be reached because dragons don't raise their young, instead imparting knowledge psychically and abandoning before birth.

The onlt other fixed criteria are a cerain type of joint for the jaw and a midle ear bone

Winston Churchill: The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Churchill again:You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:47 am

Adventurer

Yep...but all and all...a dragon is a supernatural creature like many other weird and stranger monsters in Palladium Fantasy and really don't qualify for any of the normal animal classifications.

I don't think science has even considered breathing fire, teleportation, or the number of other worldly abilities and powers for animal classifications.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:23 am

Adventurer

Lukterran wrote:

Isn't one of the main characteristics of being a mammal having body hair? Unless your speaking about the Wooly Dragon... I don't see much body hair on a dragon.

Also another main criteria is that the females have mammary glands(produce milk). So where are the dragon breasts? So does drinking dragon milk give you supernatural strength?

(The platypus and echidna which are the only two mammals that lay eggs.) I personally think those two species are incorrectly classified. (Enchidna's don't have teeth, which is needed to be classified as a mammal.)

They are stated to be mammals though, so if we're going by the books, then they're mammals, weird as it may be.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
Lukterran wrote:

regardless of logic, The book clearly states they are mamals.

Therefore, Mammals are something different in Rifts :)

Maybe humans are called reptiles...

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:43 pm

Monk

I would say that Dragons are nether mamale nor reptiles, they are Creatures of Magic, so don't folllow what bounderies mundains fall into.

But if the book says they are mammals then they are warm blooded.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Post subject: coldblooded dragons
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:59 am

Adventurer

Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled
Dragons would in my opinion vary according to species in their body temperature. A fire dragon would have very hot blood, while an ice dragon's blood definitely be cold.(In a story in the Rifter, it mentions a temperature close to that of liquid nitrogen.) I'd make a great horned dragon just plain old ectothermic,but suffer no ill effects from cold. And as far as I'm concerned, they lay eggs and are similar to reptiles.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:35 am

Hero

First, dragon are creatures of magic, second a dragon is according to the books a mammal and third, cold blooded depends on the species like an Ice Dragon.

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:37 pm

Wanderer

"Cold-blooded" is kind of a misnomer. If the the OP meant cold-blooded as "does the dragon need to rely on external sources for it's internal body temperature", then I dragons are warm blooded. If the OP meant "is a dragon's blood physically cold", then I would say the answer varies (Ice dragon is cold, fire dragon is hot, etc.).

Warm and cold blooded don't really refer to the temperate of the blood, but to the body's ability to regulate it's own temperature. Mammals regulate their own temperature, reptiles do not. Dragon = mammal...dragon = warm-blooded.

Also, it's don't let the scales fool you into thinking it can't be a mammal.
Example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

This concludes our biology lesson for the day.

Also, they're Creatures of Magic...who cares how their bodies function?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:39 pm

Hero

And lots of things lay eggs and maintain a consistent body temperature - birds. As to platypus and echidnas being misclassfied, they aren't. They're mammals for a variety of reasons that separate them from reptiles, like fur and milk production for instance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:02 am

Knight

Lukterran wrote:

no it is having mamary glands aka breasts. which you listed, but that is the only requirment. hiar, teeth and live birth do not automatically exclude something from being a mammal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:09 am

Knight

heck lets agree to disagree. dragons are birds, therefore archosaurs like crocodiles and dinosaurs. most scientst to day consider birds to be archosaurs. Why do i say this. they are warmblooded (so are birds), they lay eggs (so do birds), they have scales (so do birds), and even though dragons dont have feathers, they are not a requirment to be a bird.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:55 am

Adventurer

We are all huge nerds.

:lol:

~Semi

Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:30 am

Champion

Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.
Tinker Dragoon wrote:
walross1978 wrote:

They are not mammals they do not feed their young milk.

They are warm blooded reptiles.

Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:34 pm

Knight

Greyaxe wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:
walross1978 wrote:

or birds :-D

Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Palladin

Well, mostly.....
duck-foot wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:
walross1978 wrote:

or birds :-D
None of the above...sort of.

They don't nurse their young (nor do they have mammaries in the first place), so they're not mammals.

They are not creatures specifically adapted for flight, nor do they have feathers, ultra-light endoskeletons nor even wings of sufficient size to keep aloft their massive bodies (in fact, canon states them as being at home even in a vacuum, which suggests magically propelled flight even thought they still do need functioning wings to do so), so they're not birds.

And nothing besides their general shape and scales even suggests that they're repitles; certainly they're not cold-blooded as we understand the term in the real world, nor are their brains hardwired or primitive (reptiles don't have things like pleasure centers or even the so-called Rat Brain).

In short, Dragons are cool creatures that serve only the purposes of Kevin introducing his version of the most "beloved/famous" monster in all of fantasy gaming....and like most things in Gaming in general and Palladium Books :D in particular, they fall short under real-world scientific scrutiny.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:27 am

Explorer

If you value your life and/or sanity you'll never ever refer to a Dragon as reptile, mammal, bird or whatever.
Usually "master", "oh great shiny glory" or "Most exquisite fiery death from above." will keep you alive.

:lol: :-D :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:16 pm

Palladin

Well, mostly.....
cutlass wrote:
If you value your life and/or sanity you'll never ever refer to a Dragon as reptile, mammal, bird or whatever.
Usually "master", "oh great shiny glory" or "Most exquisite fiery death from above." will keep you alive.

:lol: :-D :lol:
NOW you're talking.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 pm

Hero

Lukterran wrote:

Dragons fail the 'mammal' test at an even more fundamental level, since they're not even tetrapods. Three limb girdles does not a mammal make; of course, this also completely excludes them from being amphibians, reptiles, dinosaurs, and avians as well. :lol:

Now, canon (as of Palladium Fantasy at least) says they're mammals, which I assume to be a case of simplification on the part of the writers. It's easier to label them 'mammals' than 'warm-blooded, mammal-like supernatural creatures that resemble reptiles' or somesuch. :D Warm-bloodedness isn't a unique trait to mammals, anyway: the birds are warm blooded, as were (possibly) the dinosaurs, and some modern-day reptiles are part-time warm blooded (weird as that is).

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.