Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
 Post subject: ? For my Madhaven game
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:04 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 4:29 pm
Posts: 1912
Location: My throne in Ferelden!
So I've run into a problem with my madhaven game. I'll give you a summary of what's going on, because my players are on here. Right now my two players are in a half torn down skyscraper trying to get to the top to get some information and help someone out. They are currently on the 12th floor. So I came up with this great idea for the 13th floor. Yeah I know I'm just full of cliches...I'm still new to GMing so I take what I can. So anyway I came up with this great idea, but as I was writing it all down I was at a loss as how to actually pull it off. What I was wondering was is it possible for there to be some kind of dimensional pocket or anything like that, that would take them to a whole new place. When they walk in the door they are no longer in some broken down building but what appears to be a town. They would have to complete certain tasks before being able to go back. My players are begging me to continue the campaign, but I'm not really sure how to run with this idea. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ways of pulling this off. I would like to be able to see if I can work it in before I scrap the idea and try to think of something else. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

_________________
Please donate or share... http://www.gofundme.com/47zrcs


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:12 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: South of the Devil's Gate (St. Louis, MO)
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
And what is the title of the game you are playing again? :P

Seriously though, you could have an invisible entrance to a pocket dimension attached (temporarily?) to that floor for whatever reason (Golden Age Science labs?) in a similar manner to the connection to the Yucatan Peninsula. Heck, it could even be a realm designed by an Astral Lord who anchored his gate to that floor for whatever reason. Then, it being a created Astral Realm, you could do whatever you wish with it. :)

_________________
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:13 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 12:14 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Joplin, Mo: Cenobite country
dude its rifts...... you can almost do anything your cliche heart desires. :P


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:32 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 4:29 pm
Posts: 1912
Location: My throne in Ferelden!
wolfsgrin wrote:
dude its rifts...... you can almost do anything your cliche heart desires. :P


Dude I'm a chick.... :lol:

I was thinking of doing something with the astral realm, but then Bunny said that cyborgs can't travel to the astral realm. Since one of the PC's is a cyborg if that's true it wouldn't work.

I guess another thing that I'm worried about is this idea I came up with is going to take two nights at least real time to play out, though game time won't nearly be as long, and this has nothing to do with the actual storyline or plot of the adventure they are currently on. It was just something I thought would be fun. So question is if your in a campaign do you mind doing side adventures in the middle of the story? I'm worried my one player is going to be like what the heck, what does this have to do with anything, this is stupid.

Thanks for the help guys! :D

_________________
Please donate or share... http://www.gofundme.com/47zrcs


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:26 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 12:14 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Joplin, Mo: Cenobite country
:oops: ms. dude :D
side plots can be fun, especially if it has a point: fun
I'd say go for it but try to tie it to what your running, course you could always chalk it up to "thats the world rifts for ya"


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:35 pm
  

D-Bee

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:15 pm
Posts: 15
The thing to remember is that unless the characters would some how know why some thing occurs there is no need to explain it.

Player: so how the heck did that happen?
GM: sorry you just have no idea, maybe you should seek out someone who would know and ask them.

Also on rifts there are "rifts" that open all the time and lead to other places. In addition its Madhaven, the place where no one who has been there for more then a day can really trust everything they see.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:54 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 4:29 pm
Posts: 1912
Location: My throne in Ferelden!
Thanks guys I appreciate all the help, I think I'm going to run with it since the idea just will not leave me alone. If you want to keep throwing ideas at me I could always use them.

Thanks!

_________________
Please donate or share... http://www.gofundme.com/47zrcs


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:50 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: South of the Devil's Gate (St. Louis, MO)
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
Shinitenshi wrote:
wolfsgrin wrote:
dude its rifts...... you can almost do anything your cliche heart desires. :P


I was thinking of doing something with the astral realm, but then Bunny said that cyborgs can't travel to the astral realm. Since one of the PC's is a cyborg if that's true it wouldn't work.


It's called a dimensional anomaly for a reason. if you want a cyborg in the Astral Realm then go for it. Not to mention, I don't recall anything saying that borgs can't go to the Astral Realm. :)

_________________
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:54 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:52 pm
Posts: 5650
Location: Using Shini's bake goods to take over the freelancers minds!!
Comment: Goodbye Cruel world.... Wait, I'm back.
Actual When I was asked the question I thought she meant Gonig to the astral planes via Psionics, I said "No cyborgs can't go to the Astral Planes." :lol:

_________________
taalismn wrote:

"I have a technique of my own to counter you lot! It's called 'radio comlink' SUMMON NINJABUNNY STEALTH GUNSHIP SQUADRON!"

I am a customer First and a Fan second.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
"The party IS over if Ninjabunny's not there."

Member of the Cabal of 24.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:37 am
  

Adventurer

Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:32 am
Posts: 683
I would have maybe halfway up the stairwell to the next floor a door that is basically a permanent rift then when you walk though you are wherever you want the PC to be. On the rift side, I would have them just walk through what looks to be a stone arch or doorway that will open when specific things are done (or maybe for a few minutes each time something is done, that way they can cut it short if then can get to the doorway quick enough. I can see so many different ideas for this. Sounds pretty cool IMO and I will definatly be stealing the base idea for my games. Let us know how it works out.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:13 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 4435
Location: Pits of Dyval
wolfsgrin wrote:
:oops: ms. dude :D
side plots can be fun, especially if it has a point: fun
I'd say go for it but try to tie it to what your running, course you could always chalk it up to "thats the world rifts for ya"


the proper term is dudette
now i say screw canon i do it all the time. one of fav villians was a psibernetic vampire. and a juicer werewolf, both of which are illegal. so what if a cyborge cant travel the astral realm. let him. its not like the rpg canon police are going to arrest you. and last, but not least only GMs can screw canon, players cannot.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:18 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 4435
Location: Pits of Dyval
wolfsgrin wrote:
:oops: ms. dude :D
side plots can be fun, especially if it has a point: fun
I'd say go for it but try to tie it to what your running, course you could always chalk it up to "thats the world rifts for ya"


the proper term is dudette
now i say screw canon i do it all the time. one of fav villians was a psibernetic vampire. and a juicer werewolf, both of which are illegal. so what if a cyborge cant travel the astral realm. let him. its not like the rpg canon police are going to arrest you. and last, but not least only GMs can screw canon, players cannot.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:45 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 12:14 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Joplin, Mo: Cenobite country
duck-foot wrote:
wolfsgrin wrote:
:oops: ms. dude :D
side plots can be fun, especially if it has a point: fun
I'd say go for it but try to tie it to what your running, course you could always chalk it up to "thats the world rifts for ya"


the proper term is dudette
now i say screw canon i do it all the time. one of fav villians was a psibernetic vampire. and a juicer werewolf, both of which are illegal. so what if a cyborge cant travel the astral realm. let him. its not like the rpg canon police are going to arrest you. and last, but not least only GMs can screw canon, players cannot.


yeah but dudette is corny lol :P
i agree with duck. keep in mind you bought the books, do what you want with the game. just keep your players in mind when you bend , smash, or break a rule.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:57 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 1784
Location: 60 Geek points and rising+25 Movie Geek Points
Sounds cool.

Give them a trip to the surreal, such as the step through a doorway of the ruined building into, say, a cornfield (or a a park). :shock:

Then have the only person capable of sending them back needs a favor. 8-)

_________________
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:44 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:09 pm
Posts: 114
Location: at a slow mosey from idle thought's to disturbed daydream
Make it a sub dimension with whatever rules you want it to have. Just say that on that floor was a lab of some sort that was experimenting with (insert dimensional time space warp thingy here) and they created a pocket dimension on that floor. Now the PC's have to appease the guys/gals who made it still alive in there after all this time but afraid to go out because of the rifts? Or maybe the whole dimension is based on the mind of someone in the project, and your players have to clear up some emotional baggage to get his/her energy/spirit/soul.... to dissipate and let them go?

_________________
hmmm...this must be the work of my nemisis


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:43 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:01 am
Posts: 1363
Location: Out of sight, Out of Mind
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel
Seems like a good place to use a Doppleganger Entity from Boxed Nightmares pg 35 & 36...if you have access to such a random product, OR if they are covered in any conversion book (?)

Just seems like a better match for Madhaven than Super Science or Super Psionics...


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:11 am
  

User avatar
Wanderer

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:07 am
Posts: 90
Location: Vienna Austria
I actually like the idea with the 13th floor ^^
nothing better then a good cliche...

I will "borrow" it if you dont care ;-)

Myself I will take them to some "Horrorflickdimension" like Hellraiser - but I will make it gradually become more and more Horrorlike....

to open the RIFT back they will have to go through some serious things :-D

thanks for the idea - I love those Forums... just browse and voila - enough material for the next few sessions ;-)

PS: sorry for my lacking english - I´m not a nativespeaker (should put that in my signature I ´spose ^^


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:42 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 4:29 pm
Posts: 1912
Location: My throne in Ferelden!
Tenclaw wrote:
I actually like the idea with the 13th floor ^^
nothing better then a good cliche...

I will "borrow" it if you dont care ;-)


Borrow all you want :D

It's going to be a world with vampires, demons, werewolves and other creatures but they all look human, it's like their own little non human realm which is split in three separate sections ruled by three different Gods/Goddesses. The three "worlds are waring, to make it out alive they are going to have to choose sides and fight their way out.

These Vamps, demons werewolfs and such are not like normal ones in rifts as this is an alternate dimension of some sort.

_________________
Please donate or share... http://www.gofundme.com/47zrcs


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:38 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 2818
Location: Oshawa, Ontario. Canada
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.
Shinitenshi wrote:
wolfsgrin wrote:
dude its rifts...... you can almost do anything your cliche heart desires. :P


Dude I'm a chick.... :lol:


:lol:
Shinitenshi wrote:
I was thinking of doing something with the astral realm, but then Bunny said that cyborgs can't travel to the astral realm. Since one of the PC's is a cyborg if that's true it wouldn't work.

Borgs can not astrally project to the astral plane but if you open up a rift they can physically go there.


Shinitenshi wrote:
I guess another thing that I'm worried about is this idea I came up with is going to take two nights at least real time to play out, though game time won't nearly be as long, and this has nothing to do with the actual storyline or plot of the adventure they are currently on. It was just something I thought would be fun. So question is if your in a campaign do you mind doing side adventures in the middle of the story? I'm worried my one player is going to be like what the heck, what does this have to do with anything, this is stupid.

Thanks for the help guys! :D

Make it a quick visit, and easy for the players to backout if they arent interested.

_________________
Sureshot wrote:
Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:46 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 682
Shinitenshi wrote:
Borrow all you want :D

It's going to be a world with vampires, demons, werewolves and other creatures but they all look human, it's like their own little non human realm which is split in three separate sections ruled by three different Gods/Goddesses. The three "worlds are waring, to make it out alive they are going to have to choose sides and fight their way out.

These Vamps, demons werewolfs and such are not like normal ones in rifts as this is an alternate dimension of some sort.


I got a different vote. MAke the pocket dimension the 13th floor of the building.... except it's the way it was before the coming of the Rifts. Cubicles, office staff, the whole nine yards. It's the ghost of what was there before the apocalypse. Except.

1) The Party can't get off it (Except for a 'special way), so they go down the stairs, they end up on the 13th floor. Jump out a window, end up jumping into a window on the opposite side, etc.

2) The other people in the dimension seem to be able to navigate just fine. So Security can be called, others can run away, folks who get thrown out fall and quash, etc.

3) The Party needs to use unusual skills to navigate this "Pre-Rifts" World.

What happens? Does the party cause too much trouble, security robots are called and it's a big shootout as the party turns everything upside down to find the exit? Or does it become an excercise in modern bureacracy as the party has to make appointments etc. to get where they need to get (the portal exit in The Manager's office).


          Top  
 
Offline
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:25 am
  

User avatar
Rifter® Contributer

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 1225
Location: Columbia, MO, USA
Comment: J.V. Adams
DamonS wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:
Borrow all you want :D

It's going to be a world with vampires, demons, werewolves and other creatures but they all look human, it's like their own little non human realm which is split in three separate sections ruled by three different Gods/Goddesses. The three "worlds are waring, to make it out alive they are going to have to choose sides and fight their way out.

These Vamps, demons werewolfs and such are not like normal ones in rifts as this is an alternate dimension of some sort.


I got a different vote. MAke the pocket dimension the 13th floor of the building.... except it's the way it was before the coming of the Rifts. Cubicles, office staff, the whole nine yards. It's the ghost of what was there before the apocalypse. Except.

1) The Party can't get off it (Except for a 'special way), so they go down the stairs, they end up on the 13th floor. Jump out a window, end up jumping into a window on the opposite side, etc.

2) The other people in the dimension seem to be able to navigate just fine. So Security can be called, others can run away, folks who get thrown out fall and quash, etc.

3) The Party needs to use unusual skills to navigate this "Pre-Rifts" World.

What happens? Does the party cause too much trouble, security robots are called and it's a big shootout as the party turns everything upside down to find the exit? Or does it become an excercise in modern bureacracy as the party has to make appointments etc. to get where they need to get (the portal exit in The Manager's office).


Something as easy, yet esoteric as a couple of computer use skill rolls to get in to the Manager's execuative staff assistant's calendar to schedule their appointment...

_________________
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group