Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
 Post subject: Super Weapon
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:25 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Quincy Ma
I am planning to create a magic item so powerful, its on the level of a certain famous glove from a certain famous comic book company that was featured in a miniseries in the 90's.

Any ideas of how to go about starting this? What storylines might develop if certain npc villains obtained it? or heroes?

so far some of my options have been

Hagan Lonovich
James T
Pharoah Rama Set
Dr. Desmond Bradford
Warlord Scaard
Nemo
One of the Proseks
Col. Isabella Cooper
One of the Atlantean Underground
Any god or powerful npc.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:36 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:12 pm
Posts: 1103
Location: Canada EH?!
1. I have no clue what you're talking about
2. It's a magic item, scrap the Proseks.
3. Nemo? You mean Nema? or are we talking about the fish?

_________________
Image
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points


          Top  
 
 Post subject: nemo
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:43 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Quincy Ma
the new navy character.

im talking about the gauntlet.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:49 pm
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
SkyeFyre wrote:
1. I have no clue what you're talking about
2. It's a magic item, scrap the Proseks.
3. Nemo? You mean Nema? or are we talking about the fish?


I sent you a PM.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
 Post subject: pm
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:10 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Quincy Ma
didnt get it


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: pm
Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:17 pm
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Hagan Lonovich wrote:
didnt get it


The PM?
That's because I sent it to Skyfire.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: nemo
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:43 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 7713
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Hagan Lonovich wrote:
the new navy character.

im talking about the gauntlet.
You already have an Infinity Gauntlet in the Palladium Megaverse.

It's called the Cosmic Forge.

Now, get off yer hiney and get over to your nearest Peddler Of Game Books, pronto!!! :D

Yer looking for "Phase World."

_________________
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!


Last edited by cornholioprime on Wed May 23, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: nemo
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:12 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:42 pm
Posts: 734
Location: Tucson,Az
Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
cornholioprime wrote:
Hagan Lonovich wrote:
the new navy character.

im talking about the gauntlet.
You already have an Infinity Gauntlet in the Palladium Megaverse.

It's called the Cosmic Forge.

Now, get off yer hiney and get over to your nearest Peddler Of Game Books, pronto!!! :D

Yer looking for "Phase World."


no kidding...good point :nh:

_________________
""Fear is power. And he who knows how to feed,stoke and direct that fear is master of the frightened. A wolf to whom the sheep turn for protection"
- Emperor Karl Prosek,"The Black Vault"


Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:34 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:49 pm
Posts: 868
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Comment: Fortune favors the bold.
SkyeFyre wrote:
It's a magic item, scrap the Proseks.



That could make for an interesting plot twist though....

_________________
Staff Sergeant of Marines
Semper Fi
0659


MaxxSterling wrote:
Lucky is my hero. The end.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:11 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 7713
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Hagan Lonovich wrote:
the new navy character.

im talking about the gauntlet.
You already have an Infinity Gauntlet in the Palladium Megaverse.

It's called the Cosmic Forge.

Now, get off yer hiney and get over to your nearest Peddler Of Game Books, pronto!!! :D

Yer looking for "Phase World."
****************************************************************

ADDENDUM TO THE ABOVE:

Quote:
Any ideas of how to go about starting this? What storylines might develop if certain npc villains obtained it? or heroes?

so far some of my options have been

Hagan Lonovich
James T
Pharoah Rama Set
Dr. Desmond Bradford
Warlord Scaard
Nemo
One of the Proseks
Col. Isabella Cooper
One of the Atlantean Underground
Any god or powerful npc.
If ANYBODY gets their hands on it...it's Game Over. Or Story Over, as the case may be.

Youve been reading too many Comic Books if you think that characters who get their hands on that much power will be defeated or even approachable.

In the comics, when they give characters Ultimate Power, they then proceed to make the Godlike Character in question do THE stupidest things ever in order to make them lose that power at story's end.

No way that that happens in the "real" world; 10 seconds after Prosek gets his hands on such power, the Splugorth vanish from the Megaverse and all D-Bees and monsters vanish from the face of Earth, if not follow the Splugorth into oblivion; 10 seconds after that, all remaining sentients on Earth become forever-loyal mind slaves.

You weren't thinking of sending an adventuring party after such a person, were you??

_________________
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:20 am
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:02 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Tempe, Az
cornholioprime wrote:
Hagan Lonovich wrote:
the new navy character.

im talking about the gauntlet.
You already have an Infinity Gauntlet in the Palladium Megaverse.

It's called the Cosmic Forge.

Now, get off yer hiney and get over to your nearest Peddler Of Game Books, pronto!!! :D

Yer looking for "Phase World."
****************************************************************

ADDENDUM TO THE ABOVE:

Quote:
Any ideas of how to go about starting this? What storylines might develop if certain npc villains obtained it? or heroes?

so far some of my options have been

Hagan Lonovich
James T
Pharoah Rama Set
Dr. Desmond Bradford
Warlord Scaard
Nemo
One of the Proseks
Col. Isabella Cooper
One of the Atlantean Underground
Any god or powerful npc.
If ANYBODY gets their hands on it...it's Game Over. Or Story Over, as the case may be.

Youve been reading too many Comic Books if you think that characters who get their hands on that much power will be defeated or even approachable.

In the comics, when they give characters Ultimate Power, they then proceed to make the Godlike Character in question do THE stupidest things ever in order to make them lose that power at story's end.

No way that that happens in the "real" world; 10 seconds after Prosek gets his hands on such power, the Splugorth vanish from the Megaverse and all D-Bees and monsters vanish from the face of Earth, if not follow the Splugorth into oblivion; 10 seconds after that, all remaining sentients on Earth become forever-loyal mind slaves.

You weren't thinking of sending an adventuring party after such a person, were you??


This is what Prosek would intend. However, there always is a how involved and the devil is in the details. He would probably manage to devastate humanity in the process of destroying his enemies. He just wouldn't have the intellect or the restraint to use that kind of power properly.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Super weapon
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:26 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Quincy Ma
I was thinking of harnessing the power of the forge to make something more powerful. Something that could be handheld or worn.

Since my campaign is more like a comicbook than a science fiction movie, I guess it could work. I agree with the Prosek and other humans not being able to use it correctly. I probably wouldnt have one of them acquire it, but another human like Hagan or Desmond Bradford or maybe something insane like Rama Set


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super weapon
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:24 am
  

Adventurer

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 682
Hagan Lonovich wrote:
I was thinking of harnessing the power of the forge to make something more powerful. Something that could be handheld or worn.

Since my campaign is more like a comicbook than a science fiction movie, I guess it could work. I agree with the Prosek and other humans not being able to use it correctly. I probably wouldnt have one of them acquire it, but another human like Hagan or Desmond Bradford or maybe something insane like Rama Set


Why not have an item that gives the "Matter creation" ability like that of The Nightlords?" Weren't they supposed to be the result of humans seeking omnipotence? matter creation, mind control, Telekinesis with infinite ISP, telepathy, those four together seem to be a combo which approximates omnipotence. And since Alistair Dunscon would love some of that, he seems a logical choice for it.

As for the item, how will you use it in your campaign? If it just makes you 'God', then PC's will get really frustrated since they will be powerless to stop the bad guy, him being 'God' and all.

In actuality, a Party fighting a truly all-powerful menace is both frustrating and angering. I would hold off on putting this thing in your campaign unless you have very concrete ideas on how to use it and how the party will interact with it without them walking out of your campaign.

No matter how you do it, you need to give the guy or the item a weakness (or The Party the ability to 'thwart' him). In fact, start with the weakness. What is the weakness you want to give it? Or how will the party stop the plan of the bad guy, etc.... If there are no answers to that, then the idea should stop there.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Super weapon
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:32 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Quincy Ma
Well there was a super powerful character that they fought once before. I was thinking of using the weapon he used and somehow adding the powers of the forge making it even more powerful.

I have been working on the idea and am just throwing it out here to find help or critics to better the story.


So far I have been toying with the idea that no one would know how to use this, except for Gods , maybe an ancient one like Thoth(old one)

At the same time many of the characters are high level 12 and up. Some of them run a delivery/transporter service. A rulian translator might run across an ancient spell book. The spells would be converted (thirteen deadly magicks from rifter) he would accidentally wake up the old ones.

The item would be lost or hidden and Thoth would activate it as he realized what was going on, in hopes that whoever had it could use it to destroy the old ones.

Ultimately whoever got it would either be corrupted by it or it would be a villain(like rama set) and want to be the only god, slaying them all except for a couple evil ones like Anubis or Loki or such, maybe a heroic one survies in hiding.

Right now I need an achilles heel. with him it may be easier because of his love to bask in destruction so perhaps he would unleash wormwood on earth or bring back the horsemen and watch.

I havent ironed out all the details as my characters are still wrapped up in the republican/archie battles but still I like to plan ahead.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super weapon
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:16 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 682
Hagan Lonovich wrote:

Right now I need an achilles heel. with him it may be easier because of his love to bask in destruction so perhaps he would unleash wormwood on earth or bring back the horsemen and watch.



Items like these are defined by their Achilles heel. Either they are "Seemingly all powerful but not nearly as useful as one would think", "All powerful with one unfortunate weakness to be exploited", or "not powerful in the way one would think." Don't think about it as "What ingredients make for an all powerful item", we all can think of a million Mega-damage, absolute invulnerability, etc.... Instead think of it in a "How do I use it in the story" way, and design the item around its purpose in the story. You're the GM, you don't have to follow any sort of item creation rules.

Storyline #1. I've always wanted to run this one. Where an NPC Rogue Scholar gets the item like this. He's not a *bad* guy (and the characters know this), but he's not the best, and he uses the item badly causing a lot of trouble, and needs to be stopped. He's not evil, it's just that the power is in the wrong hands. Luckily, he's not the smartest guy in the world either, so outwitting him is possible.

Storyline #2. I did play this one. The Item was All-powerful... at the time it was made.... but not right now. I ran a Supers game where a general obtained a 3000 year old scroll granting him an all-powerful army. And yes, the army was 5000 terra cotta warriors, and 3000 years ago it *Would* have been all powerful, but nowadays it's not as good (but still useful).

Storyline #3. The all powerful Item McGuffin. This one works well for Post-apocalyptic settings. A giant Scavanger hunt for an item of epic power! The CS is involved, the Fed of Magic, EVERYONE! And when the party actually finds it... the "Legends" turn out to be false... mostly due to the fact that they come from the notes from an ancient TV show about a "Gun that could destroy mountains". Everyone has been searching for a toy from an old TV show.

Storyline #4 (Another game module did this concept). The party hunts for All-Powerful item. Only to open the box and find it has been destroyed/decayed/fraud.. etc. Ok, no worries there... EXCEPT the other folks who wanted the item NOW think the party has it! And the party is hunted as a result.

Storyline #5. A bad guy gets the item, and now everything is bad with a capital B. It's everything the legends say.

Now you base it around some science fiction concept. Lets say it gives emotional control (A-La The Mule in the Foundation Series). Does this mean the party needs to somehow be immune to their emotions in order to fight him?

Lets say, instead, it gives near infinite physical power (matter control, telekinesis, force fields, etc), Does it have some other kink to it? Like the user has an addiction that can be taken advantage of?

Storyline #6. Bad guy has the item, and The Party is, for one reason or another, the ONLY group of people who are immune to it (the mind control doesn't work, or they have the only gun that can pierce the shield). Now it's up to them to save the world.

Focus on what the party is going to do concerning the item, then the abilities of the item define themselves. After all, in the end, this item, it's not a sword, shield, forge, robot, gun, computer, or hyper-magitech World Killing system..... it's merely a plot device.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super weapon
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:18 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 7713
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
DamonS wrote:
Hagan Lonovich wrote:

Right now I need an achilles heel. with him it may be easier because of his love to bask in destruction so perhaps he would unleash wormwood on earth or bring back the horsemen and watch.



Items like these are defined by their Achilles heel. Either they are "Seemingly all powerful but not nearly as useful as one would think", "All powerful with one unfortunate weakness to be exploited", or "not powerful in the way one would think." Don't think about it as "What ingredients make for an all powerful item", we all can think of a million Mega-damage, absolute invulnerability, etc.... Instead think of it in a "How do I use it in the story" way, and design the item around its purpose in the story. You're the GM, you don't have to follow any sort of item creation rules.

Storyline #1. I've always wanted to run this one. Where an NPC Rogue Scholar gets the item like this. He's not a *bad* guy (and the characters know this), but he's not the best, and he uses the item badly causing a lot of trouble, and needs to be stopped. He's not evil, it's just that the power is in the wrong hands. Luckily, he's not the smartest guy in the world either, so outwitting him is possible.

Storyline #2. I did play this one. The Item was All-powerful... at the time it was made.... but not right now. I ran a Supers game where a general obtained a 3000 year old scroll granting him an all-powerful army. And yes, the army was 5000 terra cotta warriors, and 3000 years ago it *Would* have been all powerful, but nowadays it's not as good (but still useful).

Storyline #3. The all powerful Item McGuffin. This one works well for Post-apocalyptic settings. A giant Scavanger hunt for an item of epic power! The CS is involved, the Fed of Magic, EVERYONE! And when the party actually finds it... the "Legends" turn out to be false... mostly due to the fact that they come from the notes from an ancient TV show about a "Gun that could destroy mountains". Everyone has been searching for a toy from an old TV show.

Storyline #4 (Another game module did this concept). The party hunts for All-Powerful item. Only to open the box and find it has been destroyed/decayed/fraud.. etc. Ok, no worries there... EXCEPT the other folks who wanted the item NOW think the party has it! And the party is hunted as a result.

Storyline #5. A bad guy gets the item, and now everything is bad with a capital B. It's everything the legends say.

Now you base it around some science fiction concept. Lets say it gives emotional control (A-La The Mule in the Foundation Series). Does this mean the party needs to somehow be immune to their emotions in order to fight him?

Lets say, instead, it gives near infinite physical power (matter control, telekinesis, force fields, etc), Does it have some other kink to it? Like the user has an addiction that can be taken advantage of?

Storyline #6. Bad guy has the item, and The Party is, for one reason or another, the ONLY group of people who are immune to it (the mind control doesn't work, or they have the only gun that can pierce the shield). Now it's up to them to save the world.

Focus on what the party is going to do concerning the item, then the abilities of the item define themselves. After all, in the end, this item, it's not a sword, shield, forge, robot, gun, computer, or hyper-magitech World Killing system..... it's merely a plot device.
Not a bad list of ideas. Not bad at all.

But you forgot one: The "Weapon WILL be all-powerful in a few hours/days/months with the right mix of planetary alignments/charge times/upon the sacrifice and death of the Chosen One or Chaste Maiden UNLESS the party can stop it in time" Plot. :D

_________________
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!


          Top  
 
 Post subject: superweapon
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:04 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Quincy Ma
of course its centered around the party. I am just looking to create a great plot device that the party will enjoy. Several of them have been hinting at a thirst for this type of adventure since we've done the coalition wars, the archie vs republicans, Splynn market adventures, they are looking to get back to the megaverse in danger style fighting of world book 4. That and I think this is the perfect way to crossover threads between my online and paper and pen groups now up to 3 groups with 20 total pcs.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Super weapon
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:28 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 3793
Location: The Free City of Worldgate
Comment: "Sometimes, I get paid in Pounds Sterling."
Hagan Lonovich wrote:
I was thinking of harnessing the power of the forge to make something more powerful. Something that could be handheld or worn.


:shock:
As the resident Phase World Continuity Expert, I have to tell you that what you are proposing is like harnessing the power of Almighty God, and using Him to make a more powerful, man-portable God.

Only one creature has ever been able to get their hands on the Forge, and that was The One... in a nanosecond he was able to revise the entire history of the universe to erase the First Race from all existence. So, any NPC Rifts villain whom you allow to do the same simply WILL NOT BE DEFEATED. Instead, they will create an entirely new reality based on whatever physical laws they deem fit.

The Cosmic Forge will simply not tolerate such abuse of its power or itself.

_________________
Braden, GMPhD
_______________________________________
Braden wrote:
Thundercloud Galaxy has a flock of ducks in it that can slag a Glitterboy in one melee.

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: superweapon
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Quincy Ma
I am using gm's discretion to create an item that has taken the power of the forge and eliminating its "will", expanding it and being useful to my campaign.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:04 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 3793
Location: The Free City of Worldgate
Comment: "Sometimes, I get paid in Pounds Sterling."
OK.

Just sayin' my piece, is all...

_________________
Braden, GMPhD
_______________________________________
Braden wrote:
Thundercloud Galaxy has a flock of ducks in it that can slag a Glitterboy in one melee.

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: superweapon
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:23 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Quincy Ma
Thanks for your information. I am not a huge phaseworld fan thats why I am not suing the forge itself. The plot calls for a weapon that can be harnessed and controlled. To eliminate the intervention of someone or something using the forge, it needs to be destroyed or removed from the story in some way.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group