Dragons and Gods vs Pantheons of the Megaverse

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

plata_knight
Wanderer
Comment: Extraordinary things are accomplished by ordinary people.

Dragons and Gods vs Pantheons of the Megaverse

Unread post by plata_knight »

Which is better?

Do they both contain notes on Godlings and Demi-Gods?

How about info on generating new gods?

Do they both (or either) list MDC and SDC stats?
Extraordinary things are accomplished by ordinary people.

Unread post by Guest »

This message has been moved to the GMs Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Re: Dragons and Gods vs Pantheons of the Megaverse

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

plata_knight wrote:Which is better?

Depends what you're playing. D&G is better for PF games, while PotM will be superior for most other settings. While PotM is almost exclusively gods (Earth gods, at that), D&G includes large sections on dragons, elementals, infernals, angels, and all that jazz. D&G is geared towards fantasy, while PotM is a bit more megaversal, and high powered.

Do they both contain notes on Godlings and Demi-Gods?

No. PotM has information and full character classes for creating Godling and Demi-God player characters, and using them as N.P.C.'s. D&G barely mentions them.

It is important to note that the terms "Godling" and "Demi-God" do not mean the same thing in PF as they do in RIFTS or elsewhere. In RIFTS, "Godling" means a low level god, usually in service to a more powerful one, and "Demi-God" means a half-mortal, half-deity. In PF, "Godling" is just a diminutive one ought to be careful using around the deity in question (no official distinction), and "demi-god" is a soi-dissant pretender to power, such as a mage worshipped by a group of goblins.

How about info on generating new gods?

Hmm, good question. Neither has a fully written out "god" character class, though upping the "godling" class in PotM might work. Whereas PotM has a class that can be modified, D&G provides more background on powers and abilities that are common to gods... in the PF world.

Do they both (or either) list MDC and SDC stats?

Yes. D&G is written for PF, and is S.D.C. with M.D.C. notes. PotM is written for RIFTS, and is M.D.C. with S.D.C. notes.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin

Unread post by Guest »

J. Lionheart wrote:
plata_knight wrote:How about info on generating new gods?

Hmm, good question. Neither has a fully written out "god" character class, though upping the "godling" class in PotM might work. Whereas PotM has a class that can be modified, D&G provides more background on powers and abilities that are common to gods... in the PF world.
Based on a note way back in the original Conversion Book 1, the stats for Supernatural Intelligences can "serve as a basis for designing specific mythical gods." (See page 205 under Supernatural Intelligences.) So, technically, D&G does have info on generating new gods.
plata_knight
Wanderer

Do they both cover the same deities?
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

No.
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Join me in Descent into Madness! <- now with actual updates!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

plata_knight wrote:Do they both cover the same deities?

Big NO on that one. D&G covers the gods of PF, while PotM covers gods of Earth. There is minimal overlap, and no repetition of specific deities that I'm aware of.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I think the only god overlap are the Egyptian gods, which are in D&G as well as Rifts Africa.
plata_knight
Wanderer

Talavar wrote:I think the only god overlap are the Egyptian gods, which are in D&G as well as Rifts Africa.

So they are in D&G, Rifts Africa, and PoM?
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

plata_knight wrote:
Talavar wrote:I think the only god overlap are the Egyptian gods, which are in D&G as well as Rifts Africa.

So they are in D&G, Rifts Africa, and PoM?

Egyptian gods are not in PotM.
plata_knight
Wanderer

Do the Egyptian Gods from D&G have the same notes and powers as those listed in Rifts Africa? My brother used to have that book, but can't find it anymore. Do I need that book just for those powers?
DrBeau
Wanderer

Unread post by DrBeau »

plata_knight wrote:Do the Egyptian Gods from D&G have the same notes and powers as those listed in Rifts Africa? My brother used to have that book, but can't find it anymore. Do I need that book just for those powers?

I believe so. If not, I think it's relatively close.
plata_knight
Wanderer

DrBeau wrote:
plata_knight wrote:Do the Egyptian Gods from D&G have the same notes and powers as those listed in Rifts Africa? My brother used to have that book, but can't find it anymore. Do I need that book just for those powers?

I believe so. If not, I think it's relatively close.

I'm most interested in Amon's Bio-Wizardry and the Egyptian's mastery of stone magic. I guess I could just buy Africa for that info, but there's not much else in the book I'm interested in.

Anyway, I think this answers my Questions, except to ask if anyone has a personal preference or if one is better written than the other.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

The D&G Egyptian gods are mostly the same as the Rifts Africa versions, but for a few OCC-type differences, and the odd stat. A lot of the material was clearly just cut & pasted in the glorious tradition of such.
plata_knight
Wanderer

Thanks.
plata_knight
Wanderer

Well, by an interesting series of events, I wound up with both copies. They are both pretty good, and have alot of useful information, but if I had to pick one, I'd say that D&G is slightly better written, and has more information relevant to priest abilities, spells and blessings, as well as more info on deific powers.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Which is better? D&G

Do they both contain notes on Godlings and Demi-Gods? only RCB2

How about info on generating new gods? D&G

Do they both (or either) list MDC and SDC stats? ??...(its been a while sence I looked @ eather)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

plata_knight wrote:Well, by an interesting series of events, I wound up with both copies. They are both pretty good, and have alot of useful information, but if I had to pick one, I'd say that D&G is slightly better written, and has more information relevant to priest abilities, spells and blessings, as well as more info on deific powers.
you may want to start supplementing your rifts (if that is your cup of tea) with some pfrpg books.

i'm on the rifts side of the megaverse, but the pfrpg side is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay richer....in terms of magical diversity, powers of the gods (look up horus for one example; in one day, he could almost completely eliminate the vampire kingdoms on rifts earth all by himself), rune artifacts, and stories.

just about everything.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Get them both. One has god like classes and the other has god spells. And while you are at it get the Old Ones
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”