Can we "fix" boxing?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ghost2020
Adventurer

Can we "fix" boxing?

Unread post by ghost2020 »

Would anyone or has anyone thought of fixing the boxing skill?

Removing the +1 attack and just giving a parry, strike and increased SDC?

It makes pretty good game sense. I get that boxing makes one better at hth and what not, but there seems to be an issue with the occasional melee vs ranged attacks blah blah blah.

So removing that attack "fixes" the odd attack out, keeps the paper work easier to manage and just makes better sense.

Anyone? Anyone? :P
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

There's the actual Boxing hand to Hand that is in one of the Rifters. I'm at work so I don't have the book with me right now to be able to say which one it is though.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Aww. but that mean right hook helps me cast faster :(
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

-but I completly agree :ok:
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Re: Can we "fix" boxing?

Unread post by Razzinold »

ghost2020 wrote:So removing that attack "fixes" the odd attack out, keeps the paper work easier to manage and just makes better sense.

:P

Well for the odd attack out, the way our GM does it is, say you have a PC with 7 attacks, so your roll initiative, our gm breaks combat up into 5 rounds and if combat isn't done then we all roll initiative again. anyways 7 attacks, 5 rounds, i would get 2 attacks round (or turn) one, two on round two, then 1 for round 3 - 5. that's how he does it and it works, that way weaker people aren't waiting around for more combat heavy pc's.
eg

round 1 round 2 round 3 round 4 round5
pc1 shoots twice shoots twice shoots once shoots once shoots once
pc2 punches twice shoots once shoots once shoots once shoots once
pc3 shoots once shoots once shoots once shoots once shoots once
obviously npcs are in there as well and we take turns so pc1 gets his two shots, then pc2 goes then 3, etc, that way pc3 doesn't sit and wait will one and two go through their 7 attacks each, you notice in round two pc2 only shoots once ? one action to pull the gun and one to shoot, that keeps things interesting and fun for our group and we've been using that setup ever since we started playing.
ghost2020
Adventurer

I agree, the HTH choice should be the thing that sets up the attacks per melee.

Other skills sharpshooting for example, should only give a bonus to strike when aiming (above and beyond traditional aiming), and maybe a small bonus bonus for firearms in general (just for time spent learning the skill and handling weapons, etc.).
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

hi i have a question :)

if a character selects both the boxing skill and the kickboxing skill, do the bonus attacks per melee stack, so tat the character gets +2 attacks per melee?

BE
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

I just think I should get 1 automatic riposte instead of an additional APM. But my GM will never give that to me.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

One fix is to make that extra attack/action only count in H2H combat. This means that extra attack does not apply to psychic, magic or ranged combat.

Yeah the PC’s may moan and cry, but if you’re a good GM they’ll shut up.

Also I’ve made some physical skills cost more then one skill slot. Boxing Wrestling and Kickboxing all cost two skills, and Gymnastics and Acrobatics cost three skills. With limited skill selection this makes players think twice about picking Boxing and Gymnastics for every PC they make.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Basic Boxing: PS PP PE Spd+1 per 3 levels
SDC+5 per level
Stun at 20-1 per level
Punch Damage+1 per level
Expert Boxing:
1 A+2
2 SP+2
3 Stun 18+
4 R+2
5 A+1 Combo: 2 hits
6 SP+1
7 R+1
8 Punch Upgrade
9 A+1 SP+1 R+1
10 KO 16+ Combo: 4 hits
11 Dmg+4
12 R+3
13 A+1 SP+1 R+1
14 Combo: 6 hits
15 KO 15+
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

KillWatch wrote:Basic Boxing: PS PP PE Spd+1 per 3 levels
SDC+5 per level
Stun at 20-1 per level
Punch Damage+1 per level
Expert Boxing:
1 A+2
2 SP+2
3 Stun 18+
4 R+2
5 A+1 Combo: 2 hits
6 SP+1
7 R+1
8 Punch Upgrade
9 A+1 SP+1 R+1
10 KO 16+ Combo: 4 hits
11 Dmg+4
12 R+3
13 A+1 SP+1 R+1
14 Combo: 6 hits
15 KO 15+

What do "R" and "SP" mean? I understand that "A" means "attack," but can't figure out what the other two mean.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Lucky wrote:faster reflexes overall.

Although I do think it's kind of lame that 75% of everyone on rifts earth is an amateur boxer.

Only if adventurers comprise the entirety of Rifts Earth.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Rayven wrote:What do "R" and "SP" mean? I understand that "A" means "attack," but can't figure out what the other two mean.

I'll take a guess that "SP" is Strike and Parry, and "R" is Roll.

Deductive reasoning is such a great tool

I do like the "expert boxing" stuff Killwatch.

MrGiggles wrote:My personal favourite is when they learn that no hand to hand bonuses apply to psychic, magic and ranged combat. These are all based on action rather than attacks, or should be.

Well it makes sense.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
ghost2020
Adventurer

Yes, one of the things I had hoped would've been streamlined with the newer edition.
A unified actions per round (melee, ranged, etc) and some decent set of bonuses and penalties for skills and abilities to apply to those actions per round.

Still rather cludgy after all these years.
DrBeau
Wanderer

Unread post by DrBeau »

Blue Eyes wrote:hi i have a question :)

if a character selects both the boxing skill and the kickboxing skill, do the bonus attacks per melee stack, so tat the character gets +2 attacks per melee?

BE

Edit: I'm dumb.
Last edited by DrBeau on Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

DrBeau wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:hi i have a question :)

BE

I believe "kickboxing" has replaced "boxing"...not been added as a new skill.

Why would one replace the other? While they are both fighting styles that contain the name boxing in them they are different types of fighting styles.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

jedi078 wrote:One fix is to make that extra attack/action only count in H2H combat. This means that extra attack does not apply to psychic, magic or ranged combat.

That's how I do it.

I'm glad that most of my players do not automatically pick Boxing any more, unless it makes sense for their character.

In fact, my players (not me) have all decided that if you pick Hand to Hand Martial Arts or an advanced Martial Arts skill, that you should not (or rather cannot) pick Boxing.

I tend to agree, though (like them) do so on a case by case basis.

~ Josh
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:.

In fact, my players (not me) have all decided that if you pick Hand to Hand Martial Arts or an advanced Martial Arts skill, that you should not (or rather cannot) pick Boxing.

I tend to agree, though (like them) do so on a case by case basis.

~ Josh

I do pretty much the opposite. Since "boxing" is far and away the best physical skill in the book, and for some reason it helps you shoot guns faster, and that I really eschew complications (having PC's keep track of their H2H attacks vs their Ranged attacks etc, or whether H2H martial arts stacks with boxing....)..

I'll just give it to everyone as a 'hero' bonus. Saves trouble, saves time.

The skill is over-powerful... check that... actually no. I think it's just about the only physical skill worth taking, so I would *prefer* that ALL the skills be that powerful and effective, not just the one. So I suggest an alternat thought... not "how do we nerf boxing?' instead..

How do we "enhance" the other skills so that skill choice becomes a more fundamental part of character creation?
DrBeau
Wanderer

Unread post by DrBeau »

MASTERMIND wrote:Why would one replace the other? While they are both fighting styles that contain the name boxing in them they are different types of fighting styles.

Honestly, I don't know what was going through my head when I posted that. I made it go away (although it will live on forever in your quote).
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Lucky wrote:faster reflexes overall.

Although I do think it's kind of lame that 75% of everyone on rifts earth is an amateur boxer.

Really?
Strange.
Only 50% of my gaming group has that skill {current # of players os 14}.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Can we "fix" boxing?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

ghost2020 wrote:Would anyone or has anyone thought of fixing the boxing skill?

People have thought this, but the skill is not broken.

Removing the +1 attack and just giving a parry, strike and increased SDC?

It makes pretty good game sense. I get that boxing makes one better at hth and what not, but there seems to be an issue with the occasional melee vs ranged attacks blah blah blah.

So removing that attack "fixes" the odd attack out, keeps the paper work easier to manage and just makes better sense.

Anyone? Anyone? :P

In Palladium's system, ALL attacks are based on a character's hand to hand combat capabilities.
This is not completely realistic, but it's not a problem specifically with the Boxing skill.
If you try to "fix" just the Boxing skill, then you'll be creating just as many discrepencies as you cure.

Problem:
"But why should boxing help me shoot/cast faster? That doesn't make any sense?"

Solution:
"Ignore the attack from boxing (or have it only apply to HTH combat)"

New Problem:
"So.... training in punching and kicking fast is okay from HTH combat skills, but not from boxing..." That doesn't make any sense either!"

The Boxing skill makes sense for the overall combat system.
If you want to fix Boxing, you actually need to fix the entire combat system.

Good luck with that.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Palladium has fixed boxing by placing it in the occ related skill selections with the rest of the physical skills. This seriously curbs my instinct to pick boxing because it takes up one of thoes valuable selections. So now if you want boxing you pay for it.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”