Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: PFRPG Campaign
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:57 am

D-Bee

I want to run a long term palladium fantasy campaign. what elemets are needed for a good long campaign that keeps the characters interested? I know absolutely nothing about palladium fantasy, only rifts. rifts is boring now so i wanted to try something different but using the same system and thought i would choose this.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:18 pm

Adventurer

A successful PF campaign will have the same ingredients as a successful campaign in any Setting or System.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:18 pm

Explorer

a involving story that keeps them wanting more for one thing. I would start them small and build up the story as they go. Let them go off and quest for things they want to find but always keep the main story their for them to pick up and resume at any time.

Have a dynamic world and not a static world. Meaning, events set in motion by the Villian(s) do not hold still just because the characters are not involved with that plot. What that does is the character will "hear" about whats going on in other parts of the world and decide for themselves if they want to get involved or not.

The villians plot may get to a point where it start to threaten more then just the area they are in and the characters have no choice now but to get involved before the evil fruit can be harvested. A living breathign world is much more fun to play in. Who knows a tale of their nemisis the dreaded necromancer may reach them to late.

They arrive at the site he was in to find that what ever he was doing has been completed and he is now long gone. They can try and pick up his trail again or see if he left any clues as to what he was doing and where he was going.

my 2cents anyways.

One day, One Hour or One Minute, Live this time well for it will not come again. But know those arround you shall remember that time. They will recall your words, your deeds and be comferted to know you await them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:18 pm

Champion

Ask the players what they would like to take a long time to achieve in game (by time, I mean in RL).

Post subject: Re: PFRPG Campaign
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:32 pm

Adventurer

apprentice04 wrote:
I want to run a long term palladium fantasy campaign. what elemets are needed for a good long campaign that keeps the characters interested? I know absolutely nothing about palladium fantasy, only rifts. rifts is boring now so i wanted to try something different but using the same system and thought i would choose this.

How does Rifts get boring?

:eek:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:48 pm

D-Bee

when the last four compaigns weve done, 2 have been based around the siege on tolkien and 2 have been the 4 horsemen of the apocolypse. ive been with the same group for like 7 years now. maybe we are doing rifts wrong. ive never ran a story before, aside from NERO, but it seems like theres just too much going on in rifts to really set any goals. everygame for us ends up being well what do we want to do first fellas? wanna go to mexico and hunt some vampurs? or do south america and kill some arkhans and sell their power armor for money so we can go to phase world to buy ei 50s and go hunt coalition troops and one shot hit them in their helments so we can sell their powerarmor minus the heads for money. or do you wanna go to africa and kill demons in the phoenix empire? or go to canada and hunt wishpoosh( i never actually got to do it but i wanted to more than i enjoy eating hot dogs) or hey lets go hunt splugorth and kill them in one hit with our naruni autopistol. but for some reason it always comes back to defending tolkein or killing the 4 horsemen. im just sick of it and want something fresh like pfrpg. i hate how some of the rifts books are underpower compared to others. like england is so underpower compared to other rifts books. it makes for weird partys of half power gamers with dragons and gliterboys and godlins who are the son of loki (which i dont understand fully) or other crap like that. AND OMG IVE GONE CROSSEYED

whew i need a tictac

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:39 am

Wanderer

apprentice04 wrote:

Introduce NPC's that interact with the characters every so often that offer hints of danger, information about the terrain, and trading of supplies, but at some point they may have to quarrel with em (Mercenaries are great for this, hey, it's part of the job this time it involves defeating the PC's), reoccuring villians are also good, just don't make them impossible to catch, kill, because PC's are an inventive bunch. Storytelling is also a good part of the game and makes it much more interesting. for example instead of saying;

"Your characters notice a couple of orcs heading down the road"

say something like

"Your characters can make out two figures approaching fast, but the glare of the sun keeps your eyes from identying what they are. But you do hear the sounds of unsheathing and the familiar glimmer of steel as they come forward screaming"

Just a little input, and another question, How does Rifts get boring? :shock:

"You say PYSCHO like its a bad thing"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:36 am

Explorer

apprentice04 their is no right or wrong way to running a table top role playing game. Only what is and isn't fun, clearly what your doing isn't fun for you guys. My suggestion would be to do as my mother always told me. Chew your food and stop trying to shove a whole horse down your gullet. Your choking on the game world.

From my understanding of what your saying the problem in your group isn't the game system or setting. Its the game scenarios that are being run are the problem. Try building your own rifts world instead of just following the story presented in the books.

Mix things up, scale things back don't let the power level characters into the game scenario your running. Try having them all start of as human and build up their power instead of throwing it at them from the get go.

Challenge them to actually play the game instead of having the most dice or the highest modifier to roll. If they like rolling the most dice play yahtzee or some other dice game where you roll 10d6 for a single result.

Get into the meat and bones of the rifts world, forget the world changing politics, forget the 4 horsemen and the rest. Play in the world, build an attachment to your npc's and the world where it actually matters that the town of clemport is being attacked by bandits.

One day, One Hour or One Minute, Live this time well for it will not come again. But know those arround you shall remember that time. They will recall your words, your deeds and be comferted to know you await them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:55 pm

Explorer

Evolve your world and keep notes. Every time you introduce a NPC, keep thier name, race, OCC and temperment and mindset written down. This will allow a sense of continuity in the world and allow the players to know you are on top of the details

if you care about the details and keep things consistent, the players will notice and stick around.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 am

D-Bee

One thing that has always worked for the group I play with. Sound out you players at char gen and every so often for their characters lifetime ambition. MY previous character 'Dresh' for whom the culmination of his 'lifetime' ambition was posted here (under a different name coz i forgot what that one was {that or my password}) a little over 5 years ago I know I'm old..... but as I was saying (even rambling like an old man) that one idea/goal helped pull an entire campain together because no matter what we were doing someone was striving for something.) I can't take credit for the idea but I always use it now with great results

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:53 am

Knight

Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
Syndicate wrote:
apprentice04 wrote:

How does Rifts get boring?

:eek:

Yeah if you find rifts and its associated dimensions (Phase world anyone?!?) boring then PF is not your gig.

That said.

The thing that I have had most fun with in low tech fantasy settings is taking a char from a know nothing pleeb to epic kingdom toppeling hero over the couse of a career. We are talking 3 year campaign (10 years in-game time) with a story line so convoluted and twisting that I cannot remember 1/4 of it.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:54 am

Adventurer

apprentice04 wrote:

I've converted the Horsemen of Apocalypse for PF. I've been writing that campaign for a couple of years now- on and off. It should make a pretty interresting campaign. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.