Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:27 am

Adventurer

Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston
Oh, maybe I need to head back in there for a game sometime.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Adventurer

Sadly, I'd have to agree with the above statement regarding this thread. I been of unique fortune to have started my gaming career with some of the best GMs I will have ever met. The guys that I learned from were of the highest professional and moral caliber. Although fellow players fell very short of their expectations, they delt with US appropriately. Of course my opinion stems from my OWN requirements of a good/great GM. As some might assume, I've been "spoiled" by them. Anyone else who did not remotely practice their (my old GMs) style of GMing were branded as "wanna-bes". This makes my choices unfairly biased towards other GMs, and yes...I don't think that's fair.

As it stands, however, I've GMed/played in 8 different states, and 3 different countries. I've GMed for groups as small as (2) players to as large as 18. I've probably stood in front of around 100+ people as a GM over that time period. And I still have a PBP going on at this time (along with another table-top group). Over this time period, I've interacted with players as young as (10) years old to those reaching a ripe old maturity of (55). I've encounted maybe...(20+) GMs, and only (3) of them were worth their pounds in gold. Don't get me wrong, at least 3 others were "OK" and pretty fun to play under, but those are still some pretty bad stats.

I would gauge my own ability as mediocre. I can run, and I can keep a game going.

Where are those good GM's? I don't want to gauge their ability over a PbP or PCR, I want face-to-face interaction. That's when you discovery their true ability handle a person or player. That being said, Gadrin ran a KICK-BUTT PbP a while ago, and I've wanted to table-top with him every since.

Someone said it before in this thread..."good" (to my standards) GMs have always been in the minority.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Knight

ApocalypseZero wrote:

DhAkael, will you be at the Open House?

Not likely :-?
3 reasons (well only two really)
1- Little bit of past history / animosity with Maryann Siembiada (who's no longer extant, so it's a moot point right now).
2- Distance needed to be traveld (I live in Toronto), and the fact that the yanks are being pricks about passports and such. Once the border is ballanced and BOTH sides are required to show passposrts at BOTH ends..then I'll travel to the states again. Until the paranoia that Dum Fuq President George W. Bush has created is gone, or the door swings both ways, you won't catch me in the states...ever!
3- money...as in lack of.

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Dungeon Crawler

What advice would you guys give to a just starting GM? I'm going to try and put a game together, and I know at least two potential player's have NEVER role-played before. I've been wondering if I should start them out in and SDC setting (TMNT) or just go for the gusto and drop them into a Rifts game? Any advice would be great!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:53 pm

Adventurer

Ok. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is this: The entire point is to have fun. The GM and the players need to have a good time. If something isn't working, discard it, replace it, rework it, whatever.

On Settings:

I now own and have read most of the Palladium Settings. BtS2 seems the most tame and easy to use. So I strongly suggest you get a copy of that and a copy of Nightbane and work from there.

Use your own hometown area for the geographic setting and a lot of the work is done for you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:32 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Sounds like pretty common sense stuff. Thank's for the advice.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Adventurer

You're welcome. There's a ton of advice littering the boards here if you look around. Its easier to solve problems as they arise then to try and cram you full of information.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Hero

sometimes the posters that reply to questions will actually NOT treat you like a piece of **** on the bottom of their shoe. anyways i digress.

advice? .. lets see .. have an idea where the game SHOULD be headed ... try to think of about 4-6 angles .. cause not everyone will on the ball, or actually play in character.
*in one game right now where the mage that SHOULD be making lots of TW toys, is more interested in going shopping for clothes and holding hands and gigging with her current 'boytoy' ... which is kinda hopeles or hte rest of us. ..
*another person knows a lot of the Rifts genre of games ... and whatever HE knows ... ALL his characters know

try figuring out HOW to play in that game and stay in one piece ... its tough to NOT punch the two in the face and then carry on .. but hey .. its a learning experience

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:31 pm

Dungeon Crawler

that's where I get a little fuzzy...trying to think of enough ideas so that if your players really don't like to follow hints, you can still keep them entertained. It seems like having a really involved scenario is just asking to have the thing fall apart.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Adventurer

shiiv-a wrote:
sometimes the posters that reply to questions will actually NOT treat you like a piece of **** on the bottom of their shoe. anyways i digress.

Was that in reference to my reply?

Anyhow, its ok to keep things obvious if they don't like following hints. And if the players get into the swing of the plot, you can throw curves in later and really mix things up.

"Wait, wait! All the signs pointed to X being the culprit!"
*The GM smirks evilly* "Didn't it seem a bit Too Obvious?"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:13 pm

Champion

CaptRory wrote:
That is so much fun.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:37 pm

Knight

lather wrote:
CaptRory wrote:
That is so much fun.

Been there, done that..have the pile of hair my players ripped out from their scalps in frustration to prove it ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:58 pm

Wanderer

Misfit KotLD wrote:
shiiv-a wrote:
*in one game right now where the mage that SHOULD be making lots of TW toys, is more interested in going shopping for clothes and holding hands and gigging with her current 'boytoy' ... which is kinda hopeles or hte rest of us. ..
What the character does and who she is need not be the same thing.

Agreed.

"They say that all the world is a stage. But obviously the play is unrehearsed and everyone is adlibbing their lines! Maybe that's why it's so hard to figure out if we're in a tragedy or a farce. We need more special effects and dance numbers." -- Calvin & Hobbes

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:52 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Misfit KotLD wrote:
:D Hell, Mig is deadly with guns, swords, and in unarmed combat. He'd much rather paint in his wife's garden. Is that bad role playing or good?

That depends entirely on Mig. i suppose only he could tell us.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Champion

DhAkael wrote:
lather wrote:
CaptRory wrote:
That is so much fun.

Been there, done that..have the pile of hair my players ripped out from their scalps in frustration to prove it ;)

Wow you save the hair? Awesome :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Hero

whatever .. it was a comment about a char i'm in a game with. about 2 of them actually .. and the topic went off into left field.

was in a game with someone else, and they wanted to be the only superstar character. their character had to be the ONLY one that could do fancy stuff .. the one with all the secrets and the one with all the fancy gadgets and gizmo's. the GM allowed the char to have them. in fact that gm allowed the char anything they wanted. whats the point n playing then?

there isn't .. thing is, as a gm you gotta avoid doing 'favoritism' .. its really easy to fall into, and you end up with the superstar. you want to avoid that, cause it really ruins the experience for everyone else in the game.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:35 am

Champion

I always allow each character the opportunity to shine.

Sometimes I write the campaign around the characters, but not too much since players are so unpredictable.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am

Adventurer

I like to keep it as modular as possible so I can easily keep up with my players without massive rewrites.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Hero

i don't GM much anymore. seems my way of running games isn't how people WANT it to be. thus if they get thwarted about doing a skill or casting spells when they aren't in the right area and need to travel about 10 paces up hill to get a view of whats going on, before getting involved into the fight.

i think the only time i GM'd for a mod, was when Asa joined in, and went along with the issue of getting trapped in a pit, and when everyone went walking about looking for his char [who waas calling out from the pit] .. one by one they basically fell in on top of him and mooshed him into the muck on the bottom of hte pit.

i think only ONE char didn't fall into the pit ... but it was funny. guess it went from finding out what went wrong to playing 'sardines' .. cause the other PC's did just that .. they had to get into the pit with the mod. before that, they actually had the answer. they were about 5 feet from the hidden door, and then went off to play 'sardines' .... go figure ... *shrugs*

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:03 pm

D-Bee

As a Player I try to adapt and think like my char. Make a mentally unstable char and bring them into the game where the gm is favoring a char. You witness this person in your group get everything they want while you get the shaft. How long before char start to get jealous of superstars? Jealously leads to betrayal, then you get there stuff too!! If you are getting pissed out of char imagine how pissed your char would be? I mean these are people who are cut above the rest and were probably looked up to where they came from and now they are being outdone. Just another idea to add to the role play fun. I had a game were all i did was play referee to the players. It was alot of fun they were really playing it well they didn't use there out of game knowledge (what they heard) just what there char knew. Had a blast Gm'ing that game

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:45 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
I will say that I an a decent GM for a few reasons:

Before we even start our first session, I ask all my players (over phone or email) what kind of campaign they want and then I try to make it happen.

I always have at least two ideas for complete campaigns at any given time, and am willing to switch between open-campaign, closed-campaign, and one-shot nights of fun at the whim of the players.

I take notes while we are gaming to give me ideas for the next evening of adventure. I try to understand what it is the players like and dislike about the current adventure and then apply it in the future. Sometimes they get bored with straight combat, or political intruige, or micro-managing or ancient powers or hi-tech toys. I vary it a little each session.

I ask them how they feel about things currently and see if they have suggestions.

Does anybody see a common element here?
COMMUNICATION!!
That and keeping track of all the info you are communicating. Communication (or lack of it) is the number one cause of failed marriages in America.
Why should you treat a gaming group any different.
Communicate people! Find out whats bugging them. Tell them whats bugging you. Get it out in the open instead of hating on each other all the time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:43 pm

Knight

Shorty Lickens wrote:
I will say that I an a decent GM for a few reasons:

Before we even start our first session, I ask all my players (over phone or email) what kind of campaign they want and then I try to make it happen.

I always have at least two ideas for complete campaigns at any given time, and am willing to switch between open-campaign, closed-campaign, and one-shot nights of fun at the whim of the players.

I take notes while we are gaming to give me ideas for the next evening of adventure. I try to understand what it is the players like and dislike about the current adventure and then apply it in the future. Sometimes they get bored with straight combat, or political intruige, or micro-managing or ancient powers or hi-tech toys. I vary it a little each session.

I ask them how they feel about things currently and see if they have suggestions.

Does anybody see a common element here?
COMMUNICATION!!
That and keeping track of all the info you are communicating. Communication (or lack of it) is the number one cause of failed marriages in America.
Communicate people! Find out whats bugging them. Tell them whats bugging you. Get it out in the open instead of hating on each other all the time.
:P True, but still :P

Leaves of the lotus rise

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:57 am

Knight

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Shorty Lickens wrote:
Communication (or lack of it) is the number one cause of failed marriages in America.

Because I am not marrying my gamer friends. EW!

Take one laugh point sir :lol:

Leaves of the lotus rise

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 pm

Champion

Misfit KotLD wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Shorty Lickens wrote:
Communication (or lack of it) is the number one cause of failed marriages in America.

Because I am not marrying my gamer friends. EW!

Take one laugh point sir :lol:

Only one? I guess it's better than a Snort Point. :D

It is, yes.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:16 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
i have been a dm for a long time,better part of 15 years so i think i have some insight. my problem here is,i can't seem to find people willing to put the time into gaming. dm's are plentiful but dm's who put significant time into the games are what seems to be lacking.the game does not end at the exact time your session ends. time must be put into things of the screen(so to speak) are the game completely revolves around the people that are putting time in or it just melts down into petty squabbling about who's in character and who is not. i don't have a problem finding "people" who game,i'm having problems finding"GAMERS"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:23 pm

Adventurer

I guess you can say that I, at least sometimes, put a lot of effort into a campaign. I was in NC a couple of years ago and there seemed to be a lack of gamers in my area- so I took advantage of that time and started writing a campaign. Well- 3 years later I was back in CO and had gamers, but none of my players are interrested in the BTS campaign that I worked on for those 3 years. :badbad: LOL!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Adventurer

There's nothing wrong with ending a game a little early. I'd rather break 15 or 20 minutes early at a Good Spot then wait to the deadline and stop in a Bad Place. Right before a big combat? Good. In the middle of a convoluted combat? Bad. When you're transitioning from one thing to the next? Good. When you're all in the middle of something that will be hard to just pick up next session? Bad.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:13 pm

Champion

CaptRory wrote:
There's nothing wrong with ending a game a little early. I'd rather break 15 or 20 minutes early at a Good Spot then wait to the deadline and stop in a Bad Place. Right before a big combat? Good. In the middle of a convoluted combat? Bad. When you're transitioning from one thing to the next? Good. When you're all in the middle of something that will be hard to just pick up next session? Bad.

:ok:

I imagined an ogrish James Hetfield reciting your post.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:20 pm

Adventurer

Misfit KotLD wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
I guess you can say that I, at least sometimes, put a lot of effort into a campaign. I was in NC a couple of years ago and there seemed to be a lack of gamers in my area- so I took advantage of that time and started writing a campaign. Well- 3 years later I was back in CO and had gamers, but none of my players are interrested in the BTS campaign that I worked on for those 3 years. :badbad: LOL!

Told you, Florida was going to be where I'm at. :P

But I'm in CO- that's one hell of a commute :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:24 pm

Champion

But a short telecommute.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Adventurer

Misfit KotLD wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:

Told you, Florida was going to be where I'm at. :P

But I'm in CO- that's one hell of a commute :lol:

Not my fault you moved in the wrong direction.

I guess we both just went home :ok:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Adventurer

lather wrote:
But a short telecommute.

True, but I'm one that prefers table top- I like to see the look on the face of my players when they roll that Nat. 1 :demon:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:48 pm

Champion

GreenGhost wrote:
lather wrote:
But a short telecommute.

True, but I'm one that prefers table top- I like to see the look on the face of my players when they roll that Nat. 1 :demon:

Yea, true that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:51 pm

Adventurer

lather wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
lather wrote:
But a short telecommute.

Yea, true that.

:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Wanderer

EPIC wrote:
Lorgan_Hegener wrote:
duck-foot wrote:
I think we should make a Superb GM's Guild. Requiments: 10+ years og GMing, less than of five your campiagns have de-railed. You know the material well enough to not have to continually look at the books. (the ones pertaining to your game)

Campaign derails are what makes a good GM.

... providing he learns and grows from the experience.

The art of GM'ing begins with losing your fear of making a fool of yourself in front of your friends.

You will fumble.

You will fail.

You will make bad calls.

You will fail to be a mind reader.

But, as with all things, we fall so that we can learn to stand back up. GM'ing isn't just a playtime whimsy. It's a life lesson.

don't forget about the accents you try to use for NPCs ... players will laugh at them.

I've had tons of players laugh at all of the accents and fully acted out NPCs I do but do to the fact that I stay with it they've all come to quite enjoy them. To the point of my players begging me to let them film me doing a particular NPC.

{Let them come, let them come in hoards, army hoards of the hundreds, NO thousands! They shal know my might and bow before the ever capable Felthric. For I have shaven my dogs buttucks an taught him to fart while walking backwards and as such their doom is evident. (The last recorded words of the first Ludicris Mage to enter the Land of the Damned.)}

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Wanderer

J. Lionheart wrote:
There are still plenty of good GM's around, but the issue (IMO) is that most aren't looking for new players. Good GM's get that way with practice, and most of them have solid groups that want to stick with them. They don't need or want more people, who'll throw their dynamic out of whack.

The Open House is a great place to get a chance to roll with some of these great GM's, where they show up and are willing to do a one-off with players they don't normally have. Occasionally one can get lucky with snooping around for a local group, or finding an experienced GM new to the area, but most good GM's are homegrown. Start with your group of friends, and develop over time. Don't expect them to fall out of trees.

Good GMs are looking for elite players to compliment their good or as good as they can get it group.

{Let them come, let them come in hoards, army hoards of the hundreds, NO thousands! They shal know my might and bow before the ever capable Felthric. For I have shaven my dogs buttucks an taught him to fart while walking backwards and as such their doom is evident. (The last recorded words of the first Ludicris Mage to enter the Land of the Damned.)}

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:52 pm

Hero

good GM's are looking for Elite players? ..... uhoh .... counts me out. i try to at least have a LITTLE fun in the game and keep it going. runningone char now that seems extremely greedy .. but hey .. NO ONE is talking to my char, so no one knows why she's theway she is.

been called numerous things as a player, and worse as a gm. only thing i can take away from the experience is this - if the game is no longer fun for an individual, something needs to be changed. sometimes its the palyer or the gm that needs to have a sleeve tug and a private chat about something. and things should change, hopefully for the better.

best of luck then.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:35 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts
The "Good" GMs are not gone...they're simply busy running adventures at explorersunlimited.com

9 Rifts: Merctown GMs

3 Phase World GMs

2 Heroes Unlimited GMs

2 Robotech GMs

2 Chaos Earth GMs

The Palladium Fantasy, Nightbane, and Beyond the Supernatural games each have their own GM as well.

That's right...count it!

20 GAME MASTERS ARE ON EU RIGHT NOW!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm

Knight

Location: Using Shini's bake goods to take over the freelancers minds!!
Comment: Goodbye Cruel world.... Wait, I'm back.
I wouldn't call us dead just endangered. :lol:

"I have a technique of my own to counter you lot! It's called 'radio comlink' SUMMON NINJABUNNY STEALTH GUNSHIP SQUADRON!"

I am a customer First and a Fan second.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
"The party IS over if Ninjabunny's not there."

Member of the Cabal of 24.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:49 am

Explorer

Well I myself have never been much good at GMing, I get sidetracked way to easy from the game at hand into bull sessions. I always ended up being the GM 'cause all my lazy players couldn't be bothered running the game and didn't really want to learn the rules. I'm starting up a group with my wife and a few friends, all newbies so i'm gonna mentally start from scratch.

When I was a player in my brother's group that was different. He was superb, had the answers for everything (even a ruley like me), played fair and hard (but made sure that everyone wasn't wiped out too soon if it was heading that way so the session was complete, unless we really deserved it). He had designed worlds to play on to every hex of the globe so that if the adventure he planned didn't happen due to players whims he always seemed to know what to do next and didn't fumble his improv when he didn't. He had great confidence in every move he made and every decision he made and noone argued the toss (ever so important) because they really knew who was the arbiter in all things. Plus he could tell a good joke.

Now he doesn't play roleplaying games, like me in his 30's he has discovered the wonder of computer games at home, sports in his spare time (he always played a multitude of sports) and works the rest of it. He isn't at all interested in gaming even though out of the 6 or 7 gms i've tried he was a runaway best, he just can't be bothered. For him the slide started years ago when we stopped using the rolemaster/MERP system, starting with less and less sessions and then eventually a complete stop probably 7 years ago (with him anyway) when we finished on battletech (not much more than a board game). So for me the best gamesmaster I ever had is finished, but i'm sure there's still plenty of other great GM's out there.

If only 1 in 7 gms are great and there are thousands out there (which there must be) then hundreds will be pretty damn good. So GM's aren't dying, but the numbers of good GM's is probably shrinking in relation to the amount of people who have chucked it all in for the mighty computer. The advance of hollywood and computer games has probably shut down the power of imagination too, how many times have you thought "that would be an awesome campaign" just to realise it's a TV rip off (or the other way round???). I mean who in there right mind would play the Angel or Buffy RPGs, I just wouldn't be able to untypecast the game as a function of the TV series. Not saying the TV is a bad thing, but certainly staring at it too long must dull the imagination somewhat.

Winston Churchill: The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Churchill again:You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:12 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts
sawg138 wrote:
The Game Master wrote:
The "Good" GMs are not gone...they're simply busy running adventures at explorersunlimited.com

9 Rifts: Merctown GMs

3 Phase World GMs

2 Heroes Unlimited GMs

2 Robotech GMs

2 Chaos Earth GMs

The Palladium Fantasy, Nightbane, and Beyond the Supernatural games each have their own GM as well.

That's right...count it!

20 GAME MASTERS ARE SELLING CRACK RIGHT NOW!

Just kidding, nothing but love for EU, it just isn't my style. I prefer Chat based, I'm too impatient for PbP. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious and not TOO overstated...once you get a real taste you're hooked.

Seriously though folks, new gamers really are appearing to take our places as we get older.

There is a whole generation of geeks out there sick of the 2D verse of MMORPGs that want to get to know their PC and see how he thrives in a contextual setting. Trust me on this, I see them every now and then on EU stating "I just bought RUE and want to know how to really game..."

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:48 am

Adventurer

You got that right Misfit :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:49 am

Champion

sawg138 wrote:
There really is more to gaming than killing the monster and taking his treasure.

Yea. Henchmen.

:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:52 am

Champion

sawg138 wrote:
lather wrote:
sawg138 wrote:
There really is more to gaming than killing the monster and taking his treasure.

Yea. Henchmen.

:lol:

:lol: Exactly. Getting high enough level you can have your hirelings kill the monster and bring you the treasure.

:D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:34 am

Wanderer

Funny - I once mastered a Palladium Fantasy Game.
The setting was the Timiro Kingdom...
After 2 years, the players (well the characters) where rich and highlevel and everything, suddenly one asked exactly the question "I have so much money, I´ll buy me someone doing all the herostuff..." so he and the other did... Made new characters under employ of their old characters... (one player played her own daughter ^^)...

Eventually they betrayed their old characters with their new and the old chars hunted the new...

That really was fun... a bit schizophreniac but fun... ^^

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:41 am

Champion

yay for betrayal!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:11 pm

D-Bee

Ceizyk wrote:
I hear ya, i've been Role Playing for 11 years now, and GMing for 5, in that time i've has 8 GM's whos tryed their hands at games, most of them have great ideas but fail in the dilivery, make fatal mistakes do the "sins" of the GM to such a point the player quit or the GM is made fun of to the point they quit GMing and Playing all together. I'm crossing my fingers i've been GMing for 5 years had my up's and down's but as of yet I've had players refer to me and my games as better then the others ran around by other people and had players want to get in on the campaign, and even players who want me to run it more often, so i am still hopping.

And on the other hand i know all about favoritism, the GM who i've GMed with for years got married ... years back and she joined the gaming group and at first it wasn't bad, however living the the GM she had more readily acess to him and it showed. She always got what she wanted, and when it came to PVP, or rules despute if the GM said no ONLY to her would yell, scream and that would be the end of gaming for the night. She has no quams of killing other peoples character but if you dared attack or kill one of hers, it was accused of plotting, planning and had it out for it. So favortism is the bane of most campaigns, she dosn't play anymore, and most players pretty much ignore her these days.

Ceizyk,
It is a shame you felt this way. It is also a shame that your observation of my game were as such and you could not see the full story. I will lay it out for you now.

When my wife first joined the Rifts game she was still new to RPG as she had never done it before. Her first character was very group orientated if you remember. After she became accustomed to the game I turned her loose with the caveat that I would not be able to give her any leeway as it would be viewed as favoritism. What she did after that was playing in character. Her following characters were all juicer women with a chip on their shoulders. I never favored her character over anyone else's. She did have access to me but I never told her anymore then i told the rest of you. I agree her characters were not team players. Although in the last game I convinced her to play something to aid the team. This did not work out because everyone already had a negative view of her. hence she fell back on what she knew best (chip on her shoulder).

So i purpose a question. If you thought my games were so horrible why have you continued to attend them for almost 10 years now? Why do I have to keep beating off people who want to play in my games with a stick?

Also if your games are so perfect why do they not last very long before imploding? Have you told them about your Midgardian race you created using the random rules to create your character. Quite amazing that you managed to roll the max in every field. Perhaps you are right maybe it is time to shake up my group a little bit and get rid of some of the chafe. I think I may just do that when the next Rifts game starts.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:51 pm

Republican

Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.
Wow....

A little interpersonal drama, eh?

Just so ya'll know, a role playing game is not worth ruining a friendship over. Just some food for thought. :-?

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Adventurer

Sometimes Gm's just get burnt out. It is much more work and effort being a game master than a player. I often get asked to GM adventures, however most of the time I would rather just take it easy and be a player.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:53 pm

Republican

Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.
I would LOVE to find a Rifts GM for tabletop, but I'm forever cursed to be a GM amidst PC's who refuse to take the reigns!

Such is life I'm afraid :?

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.