Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:23 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 5182
I've come to a startling conclusion.
There are no good game masters around anymore.
Wait, ammend that thought; I should say there are VERY few game masters worth a toss that are actulay willing to game master.
What with the intercinine bickering, struggles to see who is alpha dog, and what-not between players...no WONDER why most of the good GM's have said "to heck with this" and just given up.

Most that are left, tend to be micro-managing misanthropes with no concept of what it means to run a good story AND have PC interaction.

I'll admit, I've had my "bad sessions" that I've run before, but I always try to keep the ball rolling.
Any time I've tried 'playing' in the games that have gone on here or in IRL; well...90% have all been snore fests.
Why?
Favoritsim!
On the part of the GM's..towards ONE player.
THIS will kill any game quicker than any munchkin glory hog.
That or rampant plot hammering that doesn't allow for ANY PC growth or motivations. The PC seems to be stuck in one slot and that's it..do not speak do not act do not blink unless the GM says so.

:? :x :P
Advice; don't do it..ever!
I speak from experience (15 years ago). It only ends in tears in the long run.

Let's make sure GOOD GM's don't become a dying breed.

_________________
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise


~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:34 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:50 pm
Posts: 598
Well, nobody has complained about my games since I ran my first few so, *crosses his fingers* here's hoping.

_________________
Image GM Geek Points: 200


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:22 pm
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:24 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Tucson, Arizona
I hear ya, i've been Role Playing for 11 years now, and GMing for 5, in that time i've has 8 GM's whos tryed their hands at games, most of them have great ideas but fail in the dilivery, make fatal mistakes do the "sins" of the GM to such a point the player quit or the GM is made fun of to the point they quit GMing and Playing all together. I'm crossing my fingers i've been GMing for 5 years had my up's and down's but as of yet I've had players refer to me and my games as better then the others ran around by other people and had players want to get in on the campaign, and even players who want me to run it more often, so i am still hopping.

And on the other hand i know all about favoritism, the GM who i've GMed with for years got married ... years back and she joined the gaming group and at first it wasn't bad, however living the the GM she had more readily acess to him and it showed. She always got what she wanted, and when it came to PVP, or rules despute if the GM said no ONLY to her would yell, scream and that would be the end of gaming for the night. She has no quams of killing other peoples character but if you dared attack or kill one of hers, it was accused of plotting, planning and had it out for it. So favortism is the bane of most campaigns, she dosn't play anymore, and most players pretty much ignore her these days.

_________________
Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:01 pm
Posts: 5361
Location: Desolation Row
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
Based on my own experience, I have to say that there are definitely plenty (alot) of good G.M.s around, both for Palladium and for other RPGs.

This is taking into account both RL GMs that I know, and internet GMs.

~ Josh

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:01 pm
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:05 pm
Posts: 218
Location: SW Missouri
i know at least two seriously awesome ones in Missouri ;) and i think i'm pretty decent, for just learning myself.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:24 pm
  

Champion

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:35 am
Posts: 2864
Location: Oregon, USA
From a long history of roleplaying, two generations of experience to draw from, and a whole lot of Knights of the Dinner Table, I'm under the impression that the lackluster GMing skills of today reflect the lackluster GMing skills historically available.
In short, in times like these, it helps to remember that there have always been times like these.

_________________
"Thank you girl, thank you girl, I'll love you 'til the end of the world, with your eyes black as coal and your long dark curls."
Ex-Megatokyo Member #3885
First gen Winter Forums
Myers-Briggs ENFP, "Threadkiller"


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:27 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 5182
Hey.. as I said... the majority seem to suck or make fatal errors in judgement; not ALL though ;)
For those who've replied today; keep up the good works then :ok:

_________________
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise


~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:24 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 846
Location: BC, Canada
methinks, it is a case of the errant PC's that join. they want a 'cuddleypoo session' .. or a simple 'hack'n'slash fest' .. or even at times 'showcase my "super cool awesome better than yours ever" character' .. and you got a recipe for disaster.

been in too many that are that way. they all think the same thing, all the characters are the same. i could say the name of a 'player' .. and then tell you exactly WHAT kind of character they will run. and HOW they will run it.

predictability is sad. response playing is sadder still. when you turn about and tell someone that started gaming back in the 80's 'you should play the way i do, you'll have better games that way, and people will want to game with you' .. something is wrong.
either its ME - and the fact i DONT conform all my characters into one melting pot and run them all the same, just different names and looks ... *is guilty of allowing character's to be ... UNIQUE*
or its the system itself which, if it calls for 'conforming characters only', then the WHOLE system should be renamed to something more fitting.
[sadly i cannot SAY it aloud for fear of getting banned for .. foul language, but i'm sure you get the idea]

i'll just state for the record, then WHEN i GMt [game master in training], i inform the players of my guidelines. they work with them or they don't. most REFUSE to work with them as it 'confines THEIR creativity'
1 - NO arguements about rules. i HATE arguements, and yakking the rules to me about this or that does little more than bore me and as the gmt, if i get bored, the game is called and NO exp is dished out
2 - NO holding of PC hands. i will NEVER cater to one individual. the game is made up of MORE than one player, thus EVERYONE will get a turn in the spotlight.
3 - its YOUR game, i'm just steering it' .. this means 'DON'T nag me to interact with YOU'

if you can abide by these three rules, i usually allow just about anything as long as it fits the base power level. NO 11th level Shifters when everyone else is about 1-4 level.

i try to balance things out to fit the party. you start with 'rune weapon this or deific great grandparent that ... you know where the door is, cause i will suggest that the game is NOT suited to you

_________________
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:34 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 173
Location: interzone
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.
DhAkael wrote:
Hey.. as I said... the majority seem to suck or make fatal errors in judgement; not ALL though ;)
For those who've replied today; keep up the good works then :ok:


Huh? "The majority seem to suck"? On what sort of information or experience are you basing this, exactly? Are you saying the majority of GMs everywhere suck, or just the ones you've had the personal misfortune to have interacted with?

I look at a statement like the above or your initial post and those sorts of sweeping generalizations make me cringe. Maybe I'm reading a bit too far into your posts, but it seems to me you've had some bad luck finding decent GMs and you've transferred all the things you dislike about the GMs you've gamed with, or the poor way(s) in which they've run their games, and assumed most of the GMs you haven't had the pleasure of gaming with possess the same faults.

I mean, God forbid that you should think the majority of GMs suck because you personally have had one or two (or heck, I'll even spot you four or five) that sucked. It's a lousy assumption. Reading your first post, and the specifics of why the majority of GMs (apparently) suck, leads me to believe you're ranting about a particular GM or two. Because, let's be honest: you can't have been in more than--let's say, for the sake of argument--five groups that had such issues.

I've been gaming for more than 25 years and I've interacted with a lot of other players and GMs. At least a dozen different GMs (that I remember) in at least that many systems and settings. Some GMs were good, some needed work. A few were even great. But in my experience, the sucky GMs are a minority. It's a bit like natural selection: lousy GMs tend to not do it for long because they have trouble attracting and keeping players. Players who disrupt a good dynamic between the GM and other players tend to be dropped pretty quickly.

So give us some numbers: how many GMs have you gamed with? How many of them sucked? How many times have you been exposed to the situations you described in your first post?

Maybe I've been extremely lucky with the GMs and players I've gamed with. I'll go out on a limb and say that the experiences of a good number of the others who post to the Palladium forums are closer to positive than what you've experienced.

Ø

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:54 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 5182
count zero wrote:

Maybe I've been extremely lucky with the GMs and players I've gamed with. I'll go out on a limb and say that the experiences of a good number of the others who post to the Palladium forums are closer to positive than what you've experienced.

Ø


Prolly...
but going back 23 years...i'd say out of 15 DM's / GM's in general maybe 5 have been GOOD
so 1 out of 3...hmm..maybe I was being a bit harsh :D

_________________
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise


~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:16 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:50 pm
Posts: 598
Plus some of it is personal opinion. Seperating Objective Good from Personal Taste Good can be hard sometimes.

_________________
Image GM Geek Points: 200


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:38 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:07 pm
Posts: 215
Location: The Center for Mutant Management - Perth/Australia
As A GM for over ten years, I see the players as the GM's. I am only the master of events. What the PC's do is based upon how they decipher my environment. Sure, some nights are a total waste of time, but those that aren't - those times that I remember as times that everything clicked together. Those are the worthwhile memories that make me smile when I am alone.
A GM is always in training!
We take on board the responsibility of guiding our players/alter-egos through realms of character building in the school of hard knocks. WE choose what will happen from their actions. WE make it as fun, humourous, deadly, gritty, fantastic as we desire.

That is role playing!!!

Look at your life and tell me that every minute you are satisfied with it. You take the good with the bad, and if you can see it not heading where you want it - MAKE A CHANGE!
The desire to be someone you wish you could be is how most of us live. When you look from the seat of yourself and recognize what is effective, and what is bollocks, you garner a greater appreciation of those that attempt to put the reigns upon a group of maniacs, psychopathic killers, and just plain crazies!
We all have the crazy gene.
Live it and every gaming experience is awesome.

Players are the foundation of the game. It is their responsibility to help in the GM's delivery of a fun and unique experience.

_________________
The gate of hell lives inside us all. Pass through it and see it exists no more.

'Love says I am Everything. Wisdom says I am Nothing. Between the two my life flows.' Tao Te Ching

'The fear of god is the template of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.' Holy Bible


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:53 am
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:05 pm
Posts: 218
Location: SW Missouri
Misfit KotLD wrote:
hippie_mama wrote:
i know at least two seriously awesome ones in Missouri ;) and i think i'm pretty decent, for just learning myself.

*Makes a note to kill off Cerra* :P


Eek! That was a typo, it was supposed to say "i know at least two seriously awesome ones in Missouri, but they're nothing compared to Misfit, who is a GM God" ;)


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:42 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1577
Location: Land of Enchantment
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein
hippie_mama wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
hippie_mama wrote:
i know at least two seriously awesome ones in Missouri ;) and i think i'm pretty decent, for just learning myself.

*Makes a note to kill off Cerra* :P


Eek! That was a typo, it was supposed to say "i know at least two seriously awesome ones in Missouri, but they're nothing compared to Misfit, who is a GM God" ;)

Golden God.
It says so right in the title I gave him! :P :wink: :D

_________________
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Join me in Descent into Madness! <- now with actual updates!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:59 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 4435
Location: Pits of Dyval
every one tells me that im the best GM they have had. and these are experienced roleplayers. the problems with most gms is that they do not have the whole picture of the universe they are running, that and most dont know how to GM.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:39 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 3795
Location: The Free City of Worldgate
Comment: "Sometimes, I get paid in Pounds Sterling."
DhAkael wrote:

Let's make sure GOOD GM's don't become a dying breed.


You're right. I should start spreading my seed as far and wide as I can.

:quiet:

_________________
Braden, GMPhD
_______________________________________
Braden wrote:
Thundercloud Galaxy has a flock of ducks in it that can slag a Glitterboy in one melee.

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:29 am
  

Adventurer

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:50 pm
Posts: 598
Every good GM needs to take on two apprentices, be slain by the greedy apprentice, and have him slain at some distant date by the good apprentice who was always "Master's Favorite".

_________________
Image GM Geek Points: 200


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:50 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 5182
CaptRory wrote:
Every good GM needs to take on two apprentices, be slain by the greedy apprentice, and have him slain at some distant date by the good apprentice who was always "Master's Favorite".


Y'know...that's a death I can actualy feel would be worth-while ;)

_________________
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise


~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:01 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:18 pm
Posts: 147
Location: Firmly seated on the Throne of Geekdom
Hey! Misfit KotLD! I'M the one who wanted to learn Zen Gaming, not "Delwugor." Properly cite your quotes in your signature, Sir! :x :)

_________________
Infidels, you shall all burn in my Palladium Boards Jihad! Ohyallalalalalalalalalalala!!!! --dark brandon

Kupopo!!! Now I am forced to call down the Derisive Laughter of the Hundred Moogles upon you, kupo!! --Cornholioprime


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:01 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:50 pm
Posts: 598
But what sort of death would it be? Prolly bludgeoned to death by a bag of dice hahaha.

_________________
Image GM Geek Points: 200


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:09 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:29 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
i may not be the greatest GM to ever grace a gaming table, but my games are always fun and highly entertaining :D

_________________
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:14 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 5182
CaptRory wrote:
But what sort of death would it be? Prolly bludgeoned to death by a bag of dice hahaha.

But it would be a glourious death, preceeded by a T.P.K. adventure fueld by Jolt & Mnt. Dew :D

_________________
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise


~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:23 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 846
Location: BC, Canada
well ... IF you want the truth ... i'ld have to kill you

k .. kidding .. i doubt that i could kill anyone .. but, my answer most likely would be the same.

they've gone on to bigger and better things. IF .. they haven't decided to join the masses of the **** the other guy over faster than they can do me.

take a look at the "God Complex", he MIGHT have been a good GM once ... but that was once, and that was long long LONG ago. now? .. he's more intereste in being hte Primadonna of the game. his biggest thing is to out muscle the muscle, out think the thinkers .. and basically get the random gm's that allow him into their games to **** him just cause HE's there.

NOT my idea of how to game, but hey ... that appears to be the almost norm now. on digi, i've had the misfortune to have a ratio of 5:1 for bad gm's to good. and i've only seen about4? .. good ones? .. scary ... a 20% chance of getting a good GM? .. hope you guys like the odds, cause i dont

_________________
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:53 pm
  

Explorer

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:36 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Canada
My thoughts are simple on gming. Gaming is like any other skill in life, you get better at it the more you do it. Everyone has to start somewhere, their is no specific guide or how to when telling a story. Each person learns what works for them by trial and error.

Every gaming group is different, just like every gm. How they handle situations (or in this case what makes a "good" GM and i use that loosely.) is their experience with playing the game and past encounters with similar problems. I do not believe though that their is any "good" gm, just like their isn't any "good" player. besides like any magician a gm will distract you with his right hand while his left fumbles for a book to figure out how the heck that works when confronted with something new hahahah.

I have gamed with gms that just started and with gms that have 30 years of experience playing rpg's. What i remember the most is sitting down, having a good time and trying not to throttle players that have the: Hero always wins, never fails and is always right and just in their actions.

I love breaking them in to the harsh reality worlds i run. The look on their faces when they realises the person who has been helping them is unknowingly the monster terrorizing the town. Moral traps aah how i love them heheheh.

_________________
One day, One Hour or One Minute, Live this time well for it will not come again. But know those arround you shall remember that time. They will recall your words, your deeds and be comferted to know you await them.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:33 pm
  

Knight

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:18 pm
Posts: 3435
Braden, GMPhD wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

Let's make sure GOOD GM's don't become a dying breed.


You're right. I should start spreading my seed as far and wide as I can.

:quiet:


:shock:

:? :lol: :?


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:34 pm
  

Knight

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:18 pm
Posts: 3435
Game Mastering is much harder to do right than most players think.

:)


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:58 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:35 pm
Posts: 156
Location: 4 of the 11 dimensions in MTheory
count zero wrote:
DhAkael wrote:
Hey.. as I said... the majority seem to suck or make fatal errors in judgement; not ALL though ;)
For those who've replied today; keep up the good works then :ok:


Huh? "The majority seem to suck"? On what sort of information or experience are you basing this, exactly? Are you saying the majority of GMs everywhere suck, or just the ones you've had the personal misfortune to have interacted with?

I look at a statement like the above or your initial post and those sorts of sweeping generalizations make me cringe. Maybe I'm reading a bit too far into your posts, but it seems to me you've had some bad luck finding decent GMs and you've transferred all the things you dislike about the GMs you've gamed with, or the poor way(s) in which they've run their games, and assumed most of the GMs you haven't had the pleasure of gaming with possess the same faults.

I mean, God forbid that you should think the majority of GMs suck because you personally have had one or two (or heck, I'll even spot you four or five) that sucked. It's a lousy assumption. Reading your first post, and the specifics of why the majority of GMs (apparently) suck, leads me to believe you're ranting about a particular GM or two. Because, let's be honest: you can't have been in more than--let's say, for the sake of argument--five groups that had such issues.

I've been gaming for more than 25 years and I've interacted with a lot of other players and GMs. At least a dozen different GMs (that I remember) in at least that many systems and settings. Some GMs were good, some needed work. A few were even great. But in my experience, the sucky GMs are a minority. It's a bit like natural selection: lousy GMs tend to not do it for long because they have trouble attracting and keeping players. Players who disrupt a good dynamic between the GM and other players tend to be dropped pretty quickly.

So give us some numbers: how many GMs have you gamed with? How many of them sucked? How many times have you been exposed to the situations you described in your first post?

Maybe I've been extremely lucky with the GMs and players I've gamed with. I'll go out on a limb and say that the experiences of a good number of the others who post to the Palladium forums are closer to positive than what you've experienced.

Ø


Exactly my thoughts. :ok:
Only once have I said that a GM s***s out of 10 different GMs I've played with. It was this GMs first time and he stopped GMing afterwards because he hated it.

_________________
"It's impossible to be politically correct with an axe in your hands and a tactical nuke in your backpack." - Delwugor
"I must use the nukes I can't kill you all with my hands" GWAR, Bring Back the Bomb
"It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty." Lord Mhoram
Sounds like Stumpy has the right of it. Good going oh axemaster - cyber-yukongil


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:06 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:35 pm
Posts: 156
Location: 4 of the 11 dimensions in MTheory
Damned Leprechaun! wrote:
Hey! Misfit KotLD! I'M the one who wanted to learn Zen Gaming, not "Delwugor." Properly cite your quotes in your signature, Sir! :x :)


Yes! Delwugor doesn't have anything to do with Zen! He carries a battle axe! :D

_________________
"It's impossible to be politically correct with an axe in your hands and a tactical nuke in your backpack." - Delwugor
"I must use the nukes I can't kill you all with my hands" GWAR, Bring Back the Bomb
"It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty." Lord Mhoram
Sounds like Stumpy has the right of it. Good going oh axemaster - cyber-yukongil


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:10 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1577
Location: Land of Enchantment
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Novastar wrote:
hippie_mama wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
hippie_mama wrote:
i know at least two seriously awesome ones in Missouri ;) and i think i'm pretty decent, for just learning myself.

*Makes a note to kill off Cerra* :P


Eek! That was a typo, it was supposed to say "i know at least two seriously awesome ones in Missouri, but they're nothing compared to Misfit, who is a GM God" ;)

Golden God.
It says so right in the title I gave him! :P :wink: :D

Novastar the Wise.

Me likes! :D

_________________
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Join me in Descent into Madness! <- now with actual updates!


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:08 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 4435
Location: Pits of Dyval
I think we should make a Superb GM's Guild. Requiments: 10+ years og GMing, less than of five your campiagns have de-railed. You know the material well enough to not have to continually look at the books. (the ones pertaining to your game)


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:02 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: South of the Devil's Gate (St. Louis, MO)
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Braden, GMPhD wrote:
DhAkael wrote:

Let's make sure GOOD GM's don't become a dying breed.


You're right. I should start spreading my seed as far and wide as I can.

:quiet:


:shock:

:? :lol: :?


Someone call Canada's FAA, Braden's head is becoming a hazard to local air traffic again... :nh:

Anyway, I dislike trying to gauge my ability as a GM, especially comparing to other people. I try to keep my games fun, fair, interesting, directed, and whatnot. I remember not being so great when I started, but all my players were newbies too, and we've grown as a group.

I know that I'm doing some things right as I've had people from the four corners of the Earth wanting to join my games, and have gotten high praises from about 48 of the 50 people I've GM'ed for (and more from those I've shared stories with). That being said, I still have several things I could do better, so I strive to keep developing and honing my skills.

As far as my experiences with other GM's, the worst I've found is mediocre. However, I have heard some horror stories from other players. :shock:

So, I'd say that there are lots of good GM's out there as long as you know where to look. Then again, perhaps I'm not quite as stern in my judgement of others' abilities. :-?

_________________
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:57 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 122
Location: Stuck in the middle, between the jokers and the clowns
duck-foot wrote:
I think we should make a Superb GM's Guild. Requiments: 10+ years og GMing, less than of five your campiagns have de-railed. You know the material well enough to not have to continually look at the books. (the ones pertaining to your game)


Campaign derails are what makes a good GM.

... providing he learns and grows from the experience.


The art of GM'ing begins with losing your fear of making a fool of yourself in front of your friends.

You will fumble.

You will fail.

You will make bad calls.

You will fail to be a mind reader.



But, as with all things, we fall so that we can learn to stand back up. GM'ing isn't just a playtime whimsy. It's a life lesson.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:51 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:29 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Lorgan_Hegener wrote:
duck-foot wrote:
I think we should make a Superb GM's Guild. Requiments: 10+ years og GMing, less than of five your campiagns have de-railed. You know the material well enough to not have to continually look at the books. (the ones pertaining to your game)


Campaign derails are what makes a good GM.

... providing he learns and grows from the experience.


The art of GM'ing begins with losing your fear of making a fool of yourself in front of your friends.

You will fumble.

You will fail.

You will make bad calls.

You will fail to be a mind reader.



But, as with all things, we fall so that we can learn to stand back up. GM'ing isn't just a playtime whimsy. It's a life lesson.


don't forget about the accents you try to use for NPCs ... players will laugh at them.

_________________
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:18 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 4435
Location: Pits of Dyval
Done that. Always in a burly Scottish or German voice. or Japanese school-girls voice.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:28 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 1:16 am
Posts: 601
Location: Niceville, FL
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...
I am horrible at accents so I gave up a long time ago. When the NPC makes their appearance in the scene or speaks for the first time in a scene I say, "He says in a <insert name> accent, "Blah blah blah."


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:35 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 4435
Location: Pits of Dyval
Ya pranked phone called a few people with my voice acting. Oh it was soooo much fun. Never again will I mix liquor, dumb friends and phones.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:12 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:52 pm
Posts: 451
Location: The Bar
In my 11 years of gaming I have found quite a few good G.M's but most of them have one fault..... they can't hold a game for a extended period of time.

(Myself included, I get fedup with the bickering because a player dosn't know whats going on but thinks he does, so he is yelling at me about how I am doing it wrong :thwak: .)

_________________
Go Forth And Glorify Yourselves as Dogs Of War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4m-mPD_v4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqQhlip28kM
"Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort you failed to resort to enough of it." ~ CaptRory


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:56 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm
Posts: 3104
Location: South of the Devil's Gate (St. Louis, MO)
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
U.S.Advanced Recon wrote:
In my 11 years of gaming I have found quite a few good G.M's but most of them have one fault..... they can't hold a game for a extended period of time.

(Myself included, I get fed up with the bickering because a player doesn't know whats going on but thinks he does, so he is yelling at me about how I am doing it wrong :thwak: .)


I've personally had an ongoing Rifts campaign for seven years now...

Of course, I typically try and work through players' problems (and as a psych undergrad, it has given me experience in conflict resolution :lol: ). If an agreement can't be reached, I kindly show them the door. Seems simple enough (although as someone who typically has a short temper, I tend to avoid including known "problem players" unless I think I can reform them).

_________________
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:04 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:52 pm
Posts: 451
Location: The Bar
I was running a special forces (homebrew O.C.C.) campain for two years, and I had finaly started to run the group up against some "heavy" oposition. One guy in the group couldn't let the fact that things he was trying weren't working. Then again he was fighting a 10th lvl battle magus Vampire by the name of the crypt lord :D

_________________
Go Forth And Glorify Yourselves as Dogs Of War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4m-mPD_v4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqQhlip28kM
"Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort you failed to resort to enough of it." ~ CaptRory


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:40 am
  

User avatar
Rifter® Contributer

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:01 am
Posts: 1647
Location: Arlington, VA
There are still plenty of good GM's around, but the issue (IMO) is that most aren't looking for new players. Good GM's get that way with practice, and most of them have solid groups that want to stick with them. They don't need or want more people, who'll throw their dynamic out of whack.

The Open House is a great place to get a chance to roll with some of these great GM's, where they show up and are willing to do a one-off with players they don't normally have. Occasionally one can get lucky with snooping around for a local group, or finding an experienced GM new to the area, but most good GM's are homegrown. Start with your group of friends, and develop over time. Don't expect them to fall out of trees.

_________________
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Image
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:27 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 5182
Warwolf wrote:
U.S.Advanced Recon wrote:
In my 11 years of gaming I have found quite a few good G.M's but most of them have one fault..... they can't hold a game for a extended period of time.

(Myself included, I get fed up with the bickering because a player doesn't know whats going on but thinks he does, so he is yelling at me about how I am doing it wrong :thwak: .)


I've personally had an ongoing Rifts campaign for seven years now...

Of course, I typically try and work through players' problems (and as a psych undergrad, it has given me experience in conflict resolution :lol: ). If an agreement can't be reached, I kindly show them the door. Seems simple enough (although as someone who typically has a short temper, I tend to avoid including known "problem players" unless I think I can reform them).


Um..how long has rifts been out?
THAT's how long my campaign has been running; different groups mind you, but the same plot threads are all from the original game I started way back when the FIRST edition FIRST printing of Rifts came out.

_________________
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise


~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:45 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 122
Location: Stuck in the middle, between the jokers and the clowns
EPIC wrote:
don't forget about the accents you try to use for NPCs ... players will laugh at them.



Heck yes they will! And it's a great way to get their ears hanging on what you're trying to explain.

Actually, I've been trying to figure out how a Cosmic RoboPope (from the worst game ever thread) would sound... :P


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:41 am
  

Hero

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:29 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Lorgan_Hegener wrote:
EPIC wrote:
don't forget about the accents you try to use for NPCs ... players will laugh at them.



Heck yes they will! And it's a great way to get their ears hanging on what you're trying to explain.

Actually, I've been trying to figure out how a Cosmic RoboPope (from the worst game ever thread) would sound... :P


the robopope should talk just like that clergyman in The Princess Bride.

The Impressive Clergyman:
"Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam ... And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva ... So tweasure your wuv."

Prince Humperdinck:
"Skip to the end."

The Impressive Clergyman:
"Have you the wing? ... and do you,Pwincess Buwwercup ..."

_________________
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:16 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:11 pm
Posts: 122
Location: Stuck in the middle, between the jokers and the clowns
Actually, that's not bad... about half of what I was thinking though.

See, the party gets caught in a psycotropic gas trap, and....


They encounter the RoboPope. To start off with, he has the John personality... the Princess Bride talking guy. He gives them a blessing and sends them on their way.

As soon as they walk past him, his head spins around and they see the Paul personality, which is a lot more like Starscream. He calls up a color-coded Kamen team of breakdancing Breetais, who proceed to attack.

When the party thinks they have the breakin' Breetais beat, they get a cut scene where they summon giant color-coded mecha.

Eventually they beat the Breetais and the John personalty frees them from the head-trip and they're on their way.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:53 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 4435
Location: Pits of Dyval
No were alive. Were all huddled in a small shack in the middle of Ontario. Poor rat_bastard he went for supplies to feed us ge*uhm cough* i mean nerds and got eaten by a polar bear. oh well more for me :demon:


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:00 pm
  

Champion

Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:35 am
Posts: 2864
Location: Oregon, USA
Yeah, to answer the title question, my mother's alive and well. The issue is that she moved to Australia.

_________________
"Thank you girl, thank you girl, I'll love you 'til the end of the world, with your eyes black as coal and your long dark curls."
Ex-Megatokyo Member #3885
First gen Winter Forums
Myers-Briggs ENFP, "Threadkiller"


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:07 am
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:07 pm
Posts: 215
Location: The Center for Mutant Management - Perth/Australia
Good place that Australia. Ya mum's in good hands :D

_________________
The gate of hell lives inside us all. Pass through it and see it exists no more.

'Love says I am Everything. Wisdom says I am Nothing. Between the two my life flows.' Tao Te Ching

'The fear of god is the template of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.' Holy Bible


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:24 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:29 am
Posts: 572
Location: East Indianapolis
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston
It may not be a fault of a 'Good GM', but perhaps you may have less than stellar Players. Or a combination of both.

Myself, if you'd asked me 6 months ago, I'd be telling you I was a great GM. Now, I have little doubts that I can GM at all. Funny in a way. I feel that part of GMing is also good Player interaction. Something more than, "Kill, Kill, Kill". Sadly, my group of late has degenerated into this sort of mindframe a bit. But as I sit here and type about it, I also realize that it's a apart of my 'loss of control' of the situation. I run combats to pull the group out of off-game conversations (at least I keep the combats 'story-centric'), but I feel that I'm dumbing things down.

It could be GM/Player expectations, where Players want _____ (mystery, combat, save the world/girl, etc) and the GM wants _____ . And then, even beyond that, it could just be people, place of playing, or a list of other things.

_________________
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:30 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:38 pm
Posts: 5182
ApocalypseZero wrote:
It may not be a fault of a 'Good GM', but perhaps you may have less than stellar Players. Or a combination of both.

Myself, if you'd asked me 6 months ago, I'd be telling you I was a great GM. Now, I have little doubts that I can GM at all. Funny in a way. I feel that part of GMing is also good Player interaction. Something more than, "Kill, Kill, Kill". Sadly, my group of late has degenerated into this sort of mindframe a bit. But as I sit here and type about it, I also realize that it's a apart of my 'loss of control' of the situation. I run combats to pull the group out of off-game conversations (at least I keep the combats 'story-centric'), but I feel that I'm dumbing things down.

It could be GM/Player expectations, where Players want _____ (mystery, combat, save the world/girl, etc) and the GM wants _____ . And then, even beyond that, it could just be people, place of playing, or a list of other things.


You make good points...but really... I've yet to encounter a "new" decent GM who is worth the title. Players can make things hard, but GM's should be able to adapt to MOST player B/S and just wing-it.
My primary complaint is, and always will be 'Favoritism'.
The GM should spread both the love AND the pain equaly among their players. No ONE PC should get all attention, be it good or bad.

On the PCR I've yet to play in any game that hasn't had 'favortism' as a major factor (and no..not a hypocrite here; I don't want 'limelight' constantly..maybe once every third session ;) ).

_________________
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise


~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:29 am
Posts: 572
Location: East Indianapolis
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston
New Term: PCR, explain?

As for Favoritism, I don't see myself doing it in games too much. I do actively try to 'spread the love' in my games. Sadly, when I see my players 'talking' more than 'playing', it causes me to want to just shy away from them, especially when their topics can become less than desirable for me. Which does float attention towards the one player that does not talk. For me, I don't feel like I've done my job unless EVERYONE is involved. I like to see the whole group interact and not just a portion. I try to include something to every character: Combat for the Men-at-Arms, Puzzle or Research for the Scholars & Adventurer, etc. And I love when the players react as much in character as they can get.

DhAkael, will you be at the Open House?

_________________
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group