Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:45 pm

Hero

Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel
For my HU game, i came up with the idea of using a Spirit of Light disguised as a human (specifically a Tharsis Avenger), as an extremely powerful NPC hero.

For some stupid reason, i thought it would be interesting to have her be Muslim. I know that similar things have been done in comics (by which i mean: make absolutely no sense). Did i forget to mention that i thought it would be kewl to have her be female? :oops:

Is there anyone out there that could offer an opinion on this?
Could a Spirit of Light come to believe that the Palladium "gods" are counterfeits and that Allah is the only true God? (and that Muhammad is his Prophet...etc?)

I thought her background could start something like this:
"Very little is known about the first ten-or-so-thousand years of her life. She comes from the Realm(s) of Light, as do all Spirits of Light. It is known that she has some hard feelings toward many other angels, and against “gods” as a whole. She has come to believe that Islam is the only true faith, and has dedicated her (immortal?) life to serving Allah. For now, that means living as a human and living exclusively on Earth."

I've done some research about what exactly women are forbidden to do, and is seems like being a superhero could actually work as long as she observes the holy days and is careful with her behavior and relationship toward men. Also travel is a big issue, but i'm not really sure how big (she would be zipping around the globe, ideally...not sure if that's allowed)

I'm pretty sure that angels (in Islam) are here serve "man", and could so be ordered to take the role of superhero, maybe? Would it be considered dishonest for an angel to pass one's self off as human? Is that allowed?

Anyway, anyone who has anything that might enlighten me, please let me know. Also, i hope i haven't inadvertently offended anyone, i admit i am ignorant about a great many things and would love to be corrected.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:08 am

Wanderer

Here's two articles from Wikipedia that might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Angels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houri

Interesting concept BTW. Which book catalogs the spirits of light? I'd like to read up on them some more.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:26 pm

Hero

belial.1980 wrote:
Interesting concept BTW. Which book catalogs the spirits of light? I'd like to read up on them some more.
They're from Dragons and Gods.

Maybe my question wasn't very clear, and probably too focused:

Could a member of a race whose very existence contradicts a certain religion's beliefs actually believe in/belong to said religion?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:00 pm

Champion

Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
acreRake wrote:
belial.1980 wrote:
They're from Dragons and Gods.

Also in CB1 IIRC.

Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Wanderer

Quote:
Could a member of a race whose very existence contradicts a certain religion's beliefs actually believe in/belong to said religion?

Certainly. You're the GM. Easy fix (maybe a cop-out lol) Have the angel greivously wounded in battle, and lose all her memories. I checked out CB1 fleetingly, and IIRC angels can get "stuck" in their physical form on earth??? Might have to double check the legitamacy.

Alternately a dimensional flux brought her to the stream of reality that she exists in, and she gets a case of amnesia, and believes herself to be a gifted human, touched by the divine and given great power.

Barring that, she somehow comes to believe in Islam, and believes her past life was a grand illusion to test her faith.

Or something else entirely. If you're the GM, then there's really no limits to what is plausible.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:08 pm

Hero

Comment: Fortune favors the bold.
Or...

Since the coming of the Rifts that religion may have grown to the point where it acknowledges such things. A friend and I were recently discussing what would have happened to Christianity after the Rifts as far as Revelations and such. There really is alot you can do in a situation like this, because no present-day religion I can think of even comes close to cataloguing changes so radical.

In Christianity it could mean a 3rd testament, with Islam... who knows. Its up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.

MaxxSterling wrote:
Lucky is my hero. The end.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:09 am

Dungeon Crawler

i have no help to offer, but i think it's a really cool idea. Give her a really cool back story, and the more accurate to the real faith it is, the more interesting for your players (they might even go home and research too). Of course, it's all the better if they have to figure out about her faith/pantheon themselves, only giving them the clues of what she says and how she acts, laws she follows, etc.

Best of all is figuring out what would happen to the world's religions after Rifts...would there even BE any religions as we know them to speak of? Just small cults? or would people, being creatures of habit, adapt and make it fit the current situation?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:44 pm

Hero

Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary
Marvel comic books .... had a mutant female super hero that was a hero for the entire nation. wore mostly white with some shy blue parts to the costume.

she was strong .. could fly ... and could do other things... well .. she was a mutant .. but could have been a Psi instead of super powers ... =p

cant recall WHO she was tho .. just that its been done

cheers

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Molon Labe
shiiv-a wrote:
Marvel comic books .... had a mutant female super hero that was a hero for the entire nation. wore mostly white with some shy blue parts to the costume.

she was strong .. could fly ... and could do other things... well .. she was a mutant .. but could have been a Psi instead of super powers ... =p

cant recall WHO she was tho .. just that its been done

cheers

I think I know who your talking about, but isn't she Jewish and the official heroine of Israel?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:45 pm

Champion

JTwig wrote:

I think I know who your talking about, but isn't she Jewish and the official heroine of Israel?

That would be Sabra.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ...not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Post Count +1

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:02 pm

Knight

Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!
acreRake wrote:

How does the existence of a Tharsis "angel" contradict Islamic beliefs? I mean, ok, technically, they are a Siembiedan creation and not one of the Classic varietis of angels from muslim folklore, but aren't they creatures of Allah and in His service? You can tweak folklore a little and decree that the Tharsis is an angel and that as such he serves whatever incarnation of the Highest you deem proper.

Then again, this is bordering on grounds of high theology, and not very easy, not to mention sensitive, in a real world setting game.

PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:45 pm

Wanderer

Well you're the GM but Spirits of Light don't serve any God or Religion, so all the other Sprits would try to cure her delusions. Besides why would a Spirit of light be so stupid as to follow the orders of some God? They KNOW how the Universe works. They're hip to the REAL TRUTH, and not whatever selfserving crap the Gods or God tells. Ie: Creation Myths, Afterlife etc.
Palladium Spirits are NOT Angels. The are beings of ABSOLUTE PURITY not a God's flunky. Cause Gods are NOT to be trusted.
Plus I don't know much about Allah or Islam, but I seriouly doubt that they have any Female angels in that particular religion. Also true angels are neither male or female, or at least lack the ....uuh parts.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:10 pm

Hero

Allan Rictman wrote:
I'm as anatomically correct as a Ken doll

What might work though is an orphaned Xy fragment that somehow survived the identity change to Thoth and lost it's connection to the collective intelligence.

What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Hero

Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary
yeah .. thats the name .. i remembered it like 3 days ago .. then went looking on the wrong forums for this link.

and while nothing is wrong with running a char with a different background, be it religious and/or cultural .. youshould remember .. not EVERYONE is gonna know the same info you do.

i've run into the 'closed minded' types too often. what with a native american in HU .. she didn't mesh with the game, but i did try to get her to change to adapt to the japanese culture. the other pc's made it nigh impossible for anything to be accepted. ..
then my attempt to run a arabian girl, well .. lets say THAT went over like a ton of bricks. she figured it was better off on her own in a strange world than to continue with the gamers .. and now? .. she's in phaseworld .. someplace .. on her lonesome with her robo horse for company

so be careful is all the advice i can give you. but enjoy the game.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:50 am

Hero

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I think svartalf is right, i've just changed the religion of the game-world to reflect the abilities of the angel(s) that exists in it.

I don't know why i thought this was such a touchy subject when i consider what people (and i) have done to other religions for a game!

Post subject: Islamic Angels
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:47 am

Adventurer

Angels are not subject to the laws of man because they are the servents of the gods or God or Allah or whatever. So your angel would be following a different code of conduct. The Koran and the Bible are written for Humans to understand and obey so the rules in them do not apply to angels. There are also examples of angels incognito in both. Hope this helps you a little

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:24 am

Explorer

I own a book called: Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels. It is a must if you plan to use these kind of angel/spirits. Tons of inspirational material here. Do an internet search and you'll see what I mean...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.