Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: Re: Bad News
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Explorer

CaptRory wrote:
Ceizyk wrote:
I’ve been Playing for 11 years and been a Game Master for 5 of those years; worst game I’ve EVER played in was run by a guy who had a dragon ball Z obsession...

That has to be one of the most terrible games, if not in fact the very worst game, I've ever heard of.

:lol: Oh...sweet Baby Jesus, that was a WINNER. Ding ding ding ding! You win, Ceizyk! Ohman I am still laughing....a cyborg John Paul II as the party patron giving the party magical powers..."save points" in a paper and pencil RPG...the characters dejectedly killing themselves at the end...oh WOW!

THANK YOU FOR SHARING.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:01 pm

Champion

Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!
I can commiserate with the "my character got killed by a housecat" tales... after all, my very first character (a D&D thief) got killed, along with the 3 or 4 other party members, by a single bugbear... which I still find funny when I compare with some rather tougher monsters (like an average adult bull ogre) some other 1st level characters of mine managed to beat. Still, I later came to heartily despise the GM with whom I played that game, I can't stand a GM who feels entitled to mess up by fiat with what your character thinks and how he sees the world and himself (like by deciding to change your alignment, and even the deity you worship, without consulting with you and without your having done anything to warrant it)...

But that's definitely not my Nightmare game yet ...

As a player, that honour has to go to one of those GM/player BF/GF teams... that and the fact I think I was set up because the GM wanted to get back at me for having taken some of his characters down a few pegs in my notorious munchkin bashing games ... So one day, the guy tells me he's playing this campaign, and the group did not have a wizard, and would I like to play mine with them. I, unsuspecting, said yes.

So, I had that character (an AD&D mage) whom I had played up to level 12 in a single campaign, but the campaign had been dissolved because the DM was going back to the USA, and so the characters were free to travel to other worlds in search of power and adventure. That character was known around, as one of the very few I had managed to raise to a high level... most of the others had a tendency to die early. And it was known he was in search of a powerful artifact belonging to his clan (it was a sword and he could not use it, but he had a brother who could, and it was nice background). Here comes my introduction to the campaign. My wizard was quietly studying at home, when all ofa sudden, a dimensional rift opens above the High Cathedral of Arawn (the Celtic god of Death being the Official State Deity there, and the Cathedral the focal point of his cult on that world)... nothing too unusual yet, the world being highly subject to dimensional anomalies. Through comes something... a man sized skeletal being, with a red flame inside the left eye socket, but the right conspicuously empty, and the left hand missing... yep, Vecna himself. Whereuon Vecna starts disintegrating and otherwise demolishing the hell out of the Cathedral, the GM playing with a world that's not properly his to fiddle with in the first place, and refusing to take into account the fact that the God might not take kindly to the desacration, and is rather powerful in this focal point of his cult, or that the temple might be defended by several personages of lever 20+ and commensurate abilities... So my wizard gets out of his study, grabs his gear and gets out, if only to avoid getting crushed in the general destruction... and out of nowhere come a vision of the family sword, and Vecna starts promising me that I'll get it if I help him accomplish his purpose on another world... so I say yes, both to cooperate in getting into the adventure and to put a stop to the insanity... and there I go to another world...

Then I get introduced to the rest of the party, and I get like a nasty cold shower... my character is a lawful evil wizard, the kind with no qualms about membership in a cult that practices human sacrifice, having orcs in his army, or passing agreements with supremely evil beings to meet his goals... so, I knew that something was amiss from the start. The least objectionable character was the rogue... (or maybe bard) not evil, not really lawful, but at least somebody you could be reasonable with. Next comes a barbarian, Chaotic Good, worshipper and Chosen of Thor, and he loathed me as much as I him. Last of the PCs comes the GM's g/f's character : a cleric, Chosen of Athena, even more bigoted against non good characters than the barbarian was against wizard types... Of course, the party tended to follow her wishes a lot... and she managed, while I was there, to get away with a number of deeds that could not very well be described as either good or lawful, with no repercussions. The icing on the cake was the two NPCs that completed the party: one was the cleric's husband, and the GM's not even disguised surrogate PC : a 25th level paladin Demigod (and yeah, Us PCs were about level 10-13) by the name Sergei von Zarovich if that rings any bells with you... and their son, ac seeming baby by the name Ajrarn (borrowed from some demon lord in a Tanith Lee novel IIRC) who was as close to omnipotence as I ever saw a character with regular game presence and not officially of deity or assimilable status... I may add that even though my character was rather munchkinny (high stats, major psionics, good spellbook, tremendous equipment... had to, he had gone through, and survived adventures that he had no right to), he was semi weakish by comparison to those characters that were even of lower level than himself.

Then we start adventuring and do a few things, and I rather quickly grow dissatisfied... we're always following the goals of those infernal "goodies", the paladin, cleric and barbarian, and I do feel they resent me, and I can never do any of the things *I* am after... like looking for that sword, or even settling down for a few days of week to recuperate, analyze stuff, create some fresh potions and scrolls... and my supplies get dwindling, and I get tired of bowing down to those...

So one day I try banging the fist on the table and telling them that I have my agenda too and I'd like to see it addressed (I mean, I had had a major role in defeating an Arch devil and preventing his plans from coming to fruition on their world, I deserved some slack and humoring, didn't I?) so they decide to turn on me just then... guess I should not have admitted to low supplies and needing to replenish, they thought me weak. Well, my defensive measures protect me (god, I LOVE 1st ed Stoneskin) and since I know theirs, and know I can't hurt them seriously, I just use probability travel to pop out to some world they don'(t know... and that was the last time I played with those people.

PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:13 pm

Champion

Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!
As a GM, I have to top nightmares...

one was when I was GMing Rifts. Since the game is so suited to it, I tried to be accomodating as to what I let players have, even if tended to be Uberpowerful... Problem is there was that guy who was an Overmunchkin. his game was not playing a character, it was finding the most obscene ways to rape the rules and produce characters able to singlehandedly say "who's your daddy" to a dragonking and send it fleeing for his life... plus, he tired of them even quicker than I could find countermeasures. He dropped the first after ruining two sessions, lost interest in the second when he found out that being immune to energy attacks was not the same as being fully invulnerable, and that NPCs would not insist on using obviously useless methods of attack after noticing they didn't work... he found a third that ruined a fourth session, and then I quit in disgust.

My worst of all was another D&D 1 game, though... I was mastering the infamous Ravenloft adventure... you know, D&D, but real gothic horror, a game that needs atmosphere, the closest you can get to geal horror RPG while still playing D&D... well, all my players started smoking pot shortly after the game started, and I did not know what to do about it, and they started finding everything funny... and I guess the fumes did affect me too, as my memories of the session's end are rather blurred... They did not kill Strahd, but the game was a definite dud.

PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:25 pm

Wanderer

I used to play with some pot smokers, they where great players till the bongs came out. Then their characters became brain dead morons, and sadly when they started smoking it up. They started to want their characters to aswell thus, spawning a double layer of stupidity

I'll tell you a secret: When your number comes up, you're going to go. Well, every morning I get up, I change my number." ~Edward Chun~ Pearl Harbor Survivor

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:42 am

Champion

Gothic_Ronin wrote:
I used to play with some pot smokers, they where great players till the bongs came out. Then their characters became brain dead morons, and sadly when they started smoking it up. They started to want their characters to aswell thus, spawning a double layer of stupidity

Was GMing a game once when someone pulled a joint out while I was running the adventure and lit up then got all offended when I slapped it out of his mouth and crushed it.

The fact that we were in a FLGS game room didnt make a bit of difference to him, nor the fact that the store didnt even allow cigarette smoking, or the fact that there was a small group of kids playing D&D at the other table.

Just one of the reasons I stopped running "public" games. :nh:

Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Knight

Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
Nxla666 wrote:
Gothic_Ronin wrote:

Was GMing a game once when someone pulled a joint out while I was running the adventure and lit up then got all offended when I slapped it out of his mouth and crushed it.

The fact that we were in a FLGS game room didnt make a bit of difference to him, nor the fact that the store didnt even allow cigarette smoking, or the fact that there was a small group of kids playing D&D at the other table.

if that were to happen here...he would have been arrested...and banned from the store...

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:18 am

Dungeon Crawler

wow, smoking weed in a public place is a special kind of stupid...

However, i disagree with the general consensus that drug use *always* makes for bad gaming, because i had one GM who was always the best of story-tellers, but he got especially philosophical when...*ahem* chemically enhanced. Man, things got really deep then, and that was fun. When a loss of inhabitions equals MORE intelligence (i know, it's a rarity) in a session, then i am all for it.

On the other side, it is really distracting, not to mention obnoxious when a player (NOT the same guy mentioned above, though that probably goes without saying) can't stay focused on the game because he's too busy trying to call his dealer, and getting frustrated that he can't get him on the phone, and everyone in the room is frustrated that they can't get that guy OFF the phone. DOH!

So depending on the people, such elements can go either direction in a pretty extreme way.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:30 pm

Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:
Gothic_Ronin wrote:

if that were to happen here...he would have been arrested...and banned from the store...

He was.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:27 am

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: "...Nobody puts baby in a corner!"
Fortunately I havent had any miserable experiences involved with weed and gaming. One time I was running ATB2nd and one guy was playing a Texas Long Horn (he was high as a kite) with partial speech. During the game someone cracked an ingame joke and this guy responded by doing his best in character laugh, it came out like Mrrr Hrrr Hrrr...Mrrr Hrrr Hrrr Hrrr. Everyone was silent for about two seconds and then the room started to crack up.

Okay this next story was unfortunate. I was playing a Dwarven Ranger, the other characters rotated pretty quickly so I'll describe them as they come up.

The guy running the game had a rep as G.M.s go, for running deadly hard core tough games (I later learned that Deadly hard core meant uses realism and doesnt fudge the dice.).

So First session, the characters meet. They decide to head off to investigate a tower in the woods. The trip goes smoothly. No trouble so far. We spend like an hour casing this place before going in (thats how intense the G.M.s rep is).
We go in. No obvious threats on the first floor other than a trap that fires an arrow at you which we managed to deal with. Theres a large safe style door with what looks like a combination lock on it. Two wise ass players start messing with the door, which after playing with for ten minutes or so doesnt open + the G.M. is rolling dice every time they play with it.

So the end result is, some of us try to move on. But we end up quickly running back to find the cleric badly hurt and the elven wizard badly dead . What got them was a lightning bolt from the safe door (thus the dice rolling). Session ends.

It should be noted that the 3 hit point elven wizard took the brunt of the 6d6 lightning bolt which he failed his save against. Meaning we would have buried him if there was anything left to bury.
It should be noted that out of respect we tried not to inhale him after we figured out what happened.

Session two. (Fewer people show up this time.) I am now outside the tower of doom when the dead mages replacement character shows up.
He is a Human Paladin.
Me: Hey, this is our situation (explanation).
Him: I see, I will examine this tower to see if you need my assistance.
Me:Be careful and dont fight anything I'm going to keep watch on the cleric.
Him:Thats fine, I will be careful (he walks in to the tower).

About a minute later he walks out and collapses. I walk in for a closer look, and...

G.M.: His head gets up and walks away.
Me:I grab the cleric and book it back to town.

What happened? The Paladin went in, saw an abyssal crawler (its like a little mouth on legs). And fired his sling at it when he could easily have left it be. Soon more showed up...like FIVE of them! Did he leave then? No he kept fighting. When he finally died who's fault was it? Mine of course for failing so many listen checks. Whats more he didnt so much as hurt ONE of the monsters after like five rounds of combat.

So later that session I'm back in town standing at the well. When the mages/paladins players third replacement character a female elven rogue shows up...and immediately tries to rob me... :-x

G.M.:Roll your pick pocket. You roll your spot.
Elf: %#@!&% I got a four.
Me: I got an 18
G.M.: You feel a hand on your coin purse.
Me: I grab it.
Elf: Aw come on!
G.M.: You see the elf, elf describe your self.
Elf: (Lengthy description.)
Me: I wail her in the gut and proclaim loudly that she's a thief.
G.M.: Roll to hit
Me: Me uh got about a 16 here.
Elf: Thats got me.
G.M.: Do damage.
Me: yes! five subdual.
G.M.: Elf roll a fort save.
Elf: Why?
G.M.: Just do it.
Elf: Yes!! 18.
G.M. (to me) The slight female elf manages not to chunder all over you.
Elf:Can I go back and voluntarily fail that save?
G.M.:No
Me: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

The human fighter who joined us this session only sees the part where I hammer the elven female.
He screams his disaproval at me and charges for the attack...with a shovel (no joke,he pulled a shovel on me).

I see him coming and brace for the attack (with my back to the well).
He misses. I grab him. He gets an attack of opportunity, he misses. I boost him down the well.

I quit the session after we fished him out of the well, and the village elders asked us to leave.

Weeks later I got an update on thier progress.
It seems without me there they nearly burned down a whole country. Some act of party treachery with the elven thief happened and another party member decided he would kill the elf as she slept. They were in a heavily wooded area (during the summer time) when during his watch he tries to assassinate her, with of all things...Alchemists Fire.

My hit points didnt so much as fluctuate once during that game, and in truth I was kind of bored.

In another game I played under a different G.M. (It was the guy who played the Mage/Paladin/Rogue)
My Cleric was standing near the shore of this small river.
G.M.: Your being attacked!
Me: By what?
G.M.: A frog.
Me: You serious? What kind of frog? How big is it?
G.M.:It's just a normal frog.
Me: Ha ha your funny Ray.
G.M. No seriously (rolls dice). Whats your AC?
Me:...its 15...can I attack back...?
G.M.: Yeah. They miss you by the way.
Me: Okay uh lets see I got an 11.
G.M.:You hit, and it dies.
Me: It dies?
G.M. They only have one hit point.
Me: They?
G.M. Yeah there's a swarm now.
Me: A swarm? How many is a swarm?
G.M: Like 30.
Me: Can I just say I kill them?
G.M. Yeah okay.
Me: Why did they attack me? I use Spellcraft, Knowledge:Arcana, Detect Magic.
G.M.: Dont bother.
Me: Well I wanna know.
G.M. Really?
Me: Yeah...
(With a straight face no less)
G.M. You were disturbing the water.

Sorry for the huge post, hope it was entertaining. :shock:

With delight in my heart (and shoes in my mouth) I will narrow my eyes and mutter under my breath one thing.
..so picky..
-Moi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:03 am

D-Bee

my experience was caused by me lol. beaing new to rifts at this time and havign a gm who lets a newbie play a glitter boy..... im guessing you can see this alreayd going badly.

so the first adventure is nearing a closing with a MASSIVE combat between us (GB cyber knight and a head hunter) and a group of CS samas. we took no losses in the combat and were winding down to make camp/ finsih the session. out of nowhere the headhunter and CK start a scuffle. ME not realising the radius of a boom gun blast decide is a good idea to try and make a called shot for 10 feet above there heads as a sort of "HEYYYYYYY stop that" i end up rolling a low number (1-5) and end up nuking both the other player (good time to roll 3 6's lol)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:47 am

Champion

Soverntear wrote:
my experience was caused by me lol. beaing new to rifts at this time and havign a gm who lets a newbie play a glitter boy..... im guessing you can see this alreayd going badly.

so the first adventure is nearing a closing with a MASSIVE combat between us (GB cyber knight and a head hunter) and a group of CS samas. we took no losses in the combat and were winding down to make camp/ finsih the session. out of nowhere the headhunter and CK start a scuffle. ME not realising the radius of a boom gun blast decide is a good idea to try and make a called shot for 10 feet above there heads as a sort of "HEYYYYYYY stop that" i end up rolling a low number (1-5) and end up nuking both the other player (good time to roll 3 6's lol)

Umm... the Boom Gun doesnt have a blast radius.

The only radius it has is the 300' sonic boom that causes deafness and a bit of property damage to SDC glass.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 am

Explorer

Location: Stuck in the middle, between the jokers and the clowns
OK, the Cosmic RoboPope is just classic. Absolutely gold, and I'm going to steal that shamelessly. (Hopefully to do a better job with it... :P )

One time, we were playing Star Wars. We were young teenagers at the time. One of the players was playing a Wookiee, and, as young teenagers are wont to be, he got rather bored with messing around with stormtroopers.

So, being bored and having his mind *ahem* elsewhere, he has his Wookiee do what young bored Wookiees do when they're lonely. While he's supposed to be manning (wooking?) the grapple gun in the back of a snowspeeder. I'll not spell it out, but google up former US Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders for clarification.

Needless to say, we didn't really get much farther that night, though Darth Vader did personally show up to vent the GM's frustrations on the Wookiee with some *cough* anatomically difficult telekinetic Force-shoving up nostrils.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:55 am

Sosyourfacist

Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!
while one night over at a friends house making Werewolf characters for an upcoming game, some of the other guys, who I had just met this night, decided they wanted to do some roleplaying. Always up for a pickup game, I perk up and agree. Mistake numero uno. So after they talk it out for awhile, they come down to the desicision of Transformers home-brew system or Sliders, also home-brew, (that's the show with Jerry McConnel, whom I absolutely Hate for some bizarre reason). For some reason I don't immediately flee, Mistake Dos. I decide that maybe I'll just quietly finish my Werewolf character and then pack up and leave. Well they become over eargerly insistant that I stay and play with them. I fall for it, mistake Tres. I decide I'll humor them, but just finish my character and then do something suicidal in the game and go. Well they decide finally on Sliders and I openly groan. So everyone goes around real quick saying what they want to play. It gets to me, so with my head still buried in a Werewolf book, I say I'll play a big stupid dog, hoping that this would get them to notice I wasn't really interested. Unfortunately it's the greatest thing they've ever heard, then they start arguing over who's dog I'll be. So finally the dude who wants to play the Dominatrix/Stripper Computer Goddess, gets me. So the uber-dorks start their game, and it's bad, real bad, the kind of bad that makes you want to crawl inside yourself with a gun and end it all. So I just try to ignore them and flip through World of Darkness books, and give the occasional growl or bark when they ask me what I do. So a couple of hours later, they do something and something happens, frankly I couldn't have cared less, they meet up with the cast from Sliders, and it comes back to me and what does Big Stupid Dog do? Siezing the moment, I declare that I kill Jerry McConnell's character and defecate on the body. The GM, and I use the term loosely, allows it, and I grab my stuff, and the friend I came with and we left, never to see those dweebs again.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:38 am

Champion

My worst game was my first. I was 11 or 12, and it was a PF game at a Boy Scout camp. I'd never before seen a roleplaying game, and I asked if I could join in. One of the players gave me one of his backup characters, and I joined them.

Our party got hired to take care of some raiding gang that was being run by a summoner. We got a tip that the raiders would hit a certain town on a certain day, so we travelled there.

On our first night out, one of the players had a private conversation with the GM. He then offered to feed my character for the night. I thanked him. He made some chicken. Next thing I knew, I was rolling some percentile dice, and my character was dead from poison. The rest of the party divided up the character's belongings. The poisening character took my character's skeleton to sell (he was elvish, and those bones were worth a lot in the old edition, not sure about the new one).

Kids are mean.

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
Hotrod wrote:
My worst game was my first. I was 11 or 12, and it was a PF game at a Boy Scout camp. I'd never before seen a roleplaying game, and I asked if I could join in. One of the players gave me one of his backup characters, and I joined them.

Our party got hired to take care of some raiding gang that was being run by a summoner. We got a tip that the raiders would hit a certain town on a certain day, so we travelled there.

On our first night out, one of the players had a private conversation with the GM. He then offered to feed my character for the night. I thanked him. He made some chicken. Next thing I knew, I was rolling some percentile dice, and my character was dead from poison. The rest of the party divided up the character's belongings. The poisening character took my character's skeleton to sell (he was elvish, and those bones were worth a lot in the old edition, not sure about the new one).

Kids are mean.

Wow... what the hell.

Dude, I am amazed that you didn't swear off RPGs altogether after that (seeing as it was your first time).

~ Josh

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:07 am

Wanderer

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:
while one night over at a friends house making Werewolf characters for an upcoming game, some of the other guys, who I had just met this night, decided they wanted to do some roleplaying. Always up for a pickup game, I perk up and agree. Mistake numero uno. So after they talk it out for awhile, they come down to the desicision of Transformers home-brew system or Sliders, also home-brew, (that's the show with Jerry McConnel, whom I absolutely Hate for some bizarre reason). For some reason I don't immediately flee, Mistake Dos. I decide that maybe I'll just quietly finish my Werewolf character and then pack up and leave. Well they become over eargerly insistant that I stay and play with them. I fall for it, mistake Tres. I decide I'll humor them, but just finish my character and then do something suicidal in the game and go. Well they decide finally on Sliders and I openly groan. So everyone goes around real quick saying what they want to play. It gets to me, so with my head still buried in a Werewolf book, I say I'll play a big stupid dog, hoping that this would get them to notice I wasn't really interested. Unfortunately it's the greatest thing they've ever heard, then they start arguing over who's dog I'll be. So finally the dude who wants to play the Dominatrix/Stripper Computer Goddess, gets me. So the uber-dorks start their game, and it's bad, real bad, the kind of bad that makes you want to crawl inside yourself with a gun and end it all. So I just try to ignore them and flip through World of Darkness books, and give the occasional growl or bark when they ask me what I do. So a couple of hours later, they do something and something happens, frankly I couldn't have cared less, they meet up with the cast from Sliders, and it comes back to me and what does Big Stupid Dog do? Siezing the moment, I declare that I kill Jerry McConnell's character and defecate on the body. The GM, and I use the term loosely, allows it, and I grab my stuff, and the friend I came with and we left, never to see those dweebs again.

Thats one of those situations where one side of your brain looks at the other side and says. "Ya know, Maybe a embalism isnt so bad." :thwak:

I'll tell you a secret: When your number comes up, you're going to go. Well, every morning I get up, I change my number." ~Edward Chun~ Pearl Harbor Survivor

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
Only once did I get stuck with a group of people who had the "Final Fantasy" attitude toward role-playing.
They wanted to aquire a butt-load of super-powered items with every adventure, didnt believe in finite ammunition, and always fought me whenever a mage or psychic messed them up, because they were too dumb to have a mage or psychic of their own.

And it was totally my fault. They were big Final Fantasy/Diablo fans. The most on tabletop we had ever done before was Hero Quest. They had the same attitude there. Lots of goodies and no challenge. "Just give us toys!"

I tried to get them into D&D 1st edition with the Rules Cyclopedia. They never grasped the concept of just getting together and having fun. They all thought they would kill a dragon on their first adventure and make off with a bunch of instant-death swords and invincible armor.

After about three sessions (where I honestly tried to dumb it down for them each time) we finally broke apart the group. I sent them back to Final Fantasy and then found another group.

Everything else I have been able to deal with. The stoners and the pary animals, the drinkers and the eaters. Even managed to calm down a group story-tellers long enough to get a Rifts game going, (provided I allowed plenty of necromancers and shifters and supernatural PC's).

But the video game crowd never got it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:04 pm

Explorer

ah worst gaming experience... can their be more then one? haha. lets see at table top i would have to say it was with this fantasy game. The gm was a real @#$%!! he didn't believe in role playing a dispute. We were traveling across the plains when we ran smack into goblin territory ( we were on the edge, which just happened to be heavily patrolled in the plain, flat plains and missed the 120 goblins who were walking about).

So rather then fight them all (we were so going to die horribly) I mediated our passage across their lands with a gift and tribute to their tribe. which the gm agreed was a plausible way to get through the challenge. The goblin leader accepted my tribute and that i was a very wise human to respect them. So i didn't think their was any problem.

Turned out that the gm was really miffed that i had apparently " easily " solved the challenge he put infront of us and he gave my character a incurable illness, none of our magic would work, no roll on medical skills could determine what it was and how to treat it. We camped for the night and i woke up the next morning sick.

So i just died 3 days later, the gm refused to tell us what was going on so i chalked it up to the gm death curse. New character, we get into a scuffle in town with a pirate trying to book passage across the lake instead of walking around that would take a month (a month we didn't have, this tower we were headed too only appeared once a year for 5 days and we had 3 days to get to the site before the tower appeared).

The dispute goes south when Alan's character proposes we just kill them and take their ship. I tried to make peace with the pirate and laugh off what my companion had said and the gm goes hell no i am not letting you talk your way out of this one, the pirate kills you.

I go huh???? how does he just kill me out right? the gm goes he pulls his sword from its seath and slits your throat. I go wth man, no defense rolls its not like he can just draw his weapon and i am dead. the gm reply was your dead deal with it, roll up a new character or quite i do not care. he then had everyone roll inititive, me? i left.

A few month later the same gm calls me up and asks me about one of my characters that he killed off (he has this rule where your not allowed to keep any of your characters, he keeps them all) because one of his players from the same group wanted to play my dead character. He had tried it for a few sessions but could not understand how such a weak character could do anything (highest score was 14, with a 9-10 avg stats).

I told him to re-read all of his books and eventually he would figure out what a role playing game is and that having the highest bonus to your attack rolls doesn't count for much.

One day, One Hour or One Minute, Live this time well for it will not come again. But know those arround you shall remember that time. They will recall your words, your deeds and be comferted to know you await them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:04 pm

Champion

Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...
Zylo wrote:
Gothic_Ronin wrote:
I know that feeling, I played for years with a Gm who did the same with his girlfriend. She got everything she ever wanted and everyone else had to fight tooth and nail just to get the smallest things. It got really annoying after a while. But we (The other players) just started following her character. Since she never got hurt, and could take on anything and walk away unhurt. It was really sad, since he was a awsome GM when she wasnt there, but when she was it was like the games turned into a showcase for her characters......

Sounds familiar. Had a D&D GM who was decent, but would do the same thing for his wife.

In one situation, a red dragon breathed fire on three other characters, killing 2 out of 3 (my priest was crispy-crittered with a failed save), then turned to his wife's character and demanded something or he would hurt her. Then she, and another player following her agenda, managed to fight off the red dragon and his magic using rider by themselves. WHAT?!?! Needless to say, that game didn't last long. :lol:

I wonder if this is why everyone was so shocked waaaay back in my group's 3rd game, my wife did something silly with her character and the character died... is favouritism really such a common thing?
At any rate, the worst game I ever played in was with this fellow who was always changing every rule, even his own house-rules, as far as the rest of us could tell... when it suited him. We also never got to really keep anything. We bore it long enough to reach levels 6-8 in AD&D, and the half-elf fighter had a two-handed sword +1 {he was a Swashbuckler kit fighter) and a set of chainmail, the elf mage had never managed to find a spell-scroll or capture an enemy mage's spell-book and had a Wand of Magic Missiles (which he was almost afraid to use, it might have only had 5 charges or somesuch), the halfling thief (assassin kit) was lucky enough to have a dagger +2 AND a Ring of Jumping (wow!!!!), the finhead paladin had a battle-axe +2 and a set of bronze plate-mail, the dwarven cleric had a silver-coated mace and a small shield +1, and I was playing an ogre mage sellsword fighter... I still had the katana I started with, and a dagger +1. We had about 500 GP among us when we quit. No mounts, or pets, or henchmen... they always died, got eaten, whatever. We tried to start a base of operations in a town in the area we were operating in, and spent most of our money on it (and the mage's spell research), but then a huge ancient red dragon came along and destroyed everything, including the town, while we were away looking for a wyvern's lair.
Basically, the GM in question ignored the treasure tables and gave us what he wanted us to have most of the time, or managed to destroy/ make vanish anything really good we found when he did use the tables. All monsters were at maximum HP, the townspeople didn't respect us, and on and on and on... it turned a whole (admittedly small) group into rules lawyers from then on. There have been other GMs over the course of my gaming life about that bad (I'll never play in Ravenloft again, no matter WHAT edition it is, because of another GM), but that was the worst.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Explorer

Ok, the worst game expierence I've had was also one of the funniest in my sick demented GM mind

This Star Wars game started off as a one-shot...me and a good friend are both SW geeks and I'd never played the D20 system but was a god at KoTOR so I says "ok, we'll do a pickup game, I'll GM you rules crunch". Not even a big issue if it's a one shot and you'll probably screw the rules anyway...

The issue came in six months later when the one shot turned into a ever evolving campaign with a half dozen players. Some of the calls I made on that first night or two came back to bite me in the butt (made a few custom powers and abilities that were over-abused). I eventually had to start throwing them into harder and harder situations to even pose a slight challenge. All this culminated in one mission where they were raiding a desert-plannet (Ossus) that had been fortified by small contingent of sith (about 100 or so). I had invited an old friend into town to play an NPC who was actually a sith assasin posing as a republic officer. His job was to lead them into a trap.

They fell for it. They set off every booby trap, walked into every ambush, and none survived. I gave plenty of chances to go back, turn around, NOT TRUST THE NEW PLAYER WHOM THEY KNEW WOULD ONLY BE THERE FOR ONE GAME, but none of the group of 6 players who had been gaming for more than 10 years each was able to figgure out just how they died (big explosion in a tunnel after they tripped yet another trap with plasma mines)

They were all pissed. I laughed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:27 pm

Explorer

Worst game/group/DM, was in college, roommate and I invited join a D&D game, I started out 5thief/5mage, they had been playing for a while, got wand of lightning to start as well, was drow female( because made others go " wha..") , should have realized things would not go we when asked the other players what their characters looked like and they had to look at their character sheets ( always bad sign), so playing little drow ( looked like normal elf, had mask) who had personality of Klingon warrior.
First night players all complain the need some experience, so random giant lizard attacks, a stands still so they can kill it from hiding, then went town, they didn't under stand what i was doing when lured man into alley Charmed him , had him give me his valuables, and strip naked and go dance around town square to prove his love to me. The rest of players are like " wha..." which it turned out was a common phrase .
DM allowed one of noob's change his character personality and appearance every session, would hide and rush out to claim his share when monster was dead. After my fourth death, and resurrection, told them not bring me back again, so we attack a dragon. I die first attack, the rest fight dragon, who never takes wing, or uses magic, just stands fights to death. Killed almost single handedly by dwarf with fling boots, and crazy powerful weapons and armor.
Dm , would not allow any type of wall spells( no walls of stone/metal, etc.), as some one earlier had killed his major villain by dropping wall on him. His world, each city was exactly one days travel from the next, and each had the same 'tard' of a gnome alchemist, was actually happy when dragon killed me.
I had actually figures that I would Die, so had even went to trouble of writing up a event my death would trigger when, Lloth came to claim my soul, what was thwarted as it wass sworn to a god of nature. Dm read the event as if reading the back of cereal box.
Was happy to leave, found out a few weeks later, that flying dwarf died when pissed off red dragon, then tried to hid in forest which dragon proceeded to burn down, player apparently actually had temper tantrum for 10 minutes when character died. Glad I missed that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:32 pm

D-Bee

Let's see...

One game where the predators (yes, from the movie) were looking for one of their experiments on humanity (an NPC who could kick major ass) that for one reason or another we had to protect. I knew it was a cheesy campaign when guards burst into our hotel room. Before me or the other 'bodyguard' could take ONE action, the NPC had completely destroyed a squad of troops. After the hotel manager came up and asked what happened, I said "Oh, he knows karate"

Another had us in mexico fighting vamps. Only thing was I was a star child from England. Radiating pure sun light was aparently against the rules in that campaign, so that feature was promptly removed.

Another had our GM, desperate for time to shine in the spotlight giving people anything they wanted. First session - sword of atlantis.

I actually have a fairly good track record for GMing, except my very first try - essentially the zerg attack Rifts earth, and the players have to join with the protoss secret forces to help defeat them. Aside from the rediculousness of that situation, I was railroading players, narrating what they did and skipping huge portions of the campaighn. I had no idea what I was doing and it was probably one of the worst games ever for the two guinea pigs involved. These days I actually run a decent game :p

PC: Well, can a juicer do THIS? *Starts flying*
NPC: *Begins shooting at character and calling for backup*

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Hero

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but the post about a GM having a chair thrown at him withing the first few minutes of play compelled me to post.
The first group I ever played Rifts with had a long standing GM (I was the new guy to a group of 4). One of the players and the GM apparently had a long time rivalry going that would spill into more often then not. At the start of every game session, they both swore to behave but that never lasted.
The player would thwart the GM's story and the GM would always blitz that one player first and hardest. More then a few times they threw dice at each other. Me and the other two just stepped back and watched. More then once we would quietly gather our gear and leave the house with those two shouting.
Then one day, they actually got into a fist fight over something stupid, i dont even remember what. We never played as a group again and the GM and that player never spoke again (10yrs known eachother), not even after the GM's little brother was struck and killed by a car.

The good side is the other players and I continued to play together and we managed to attract a few other players and never had a serious disagreement between us. Never let unstable players continue to play, even if they GM.

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:28 pm

D-Bee

I keep reading these bf/gf combo horor stories. I've managed to avoid those. I actually feel like i over compinsate by not giving my gf enough credit. I've been gming with our group for a lonm time and she's a new addition. I'm overly careful not to give her special treatment to the point where i think sometimes i don't give her enough. Oh well...the caualties of love and rifts i guess.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.