Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Hero

Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".
Just went through this thread for the first time. Funny stuff here, so I had to add a few of my own...

The Double-Oh Seven aka The Dr. Who
A reference to a particular type of player that invariably makes the same type of character regardless of the game being played, often with the only real differences being the character's appearance, minor attribute variances, (can only be blamed on the dice being so random) slightly different skill selections, (though roughly 50-80% of the skills will match previous incarnations) and possibly background/history, character name and alignment.
So named for the many different incarnations of the characters used to describe this player.

The Prime 3
A reference to the three skills most often taken by a large number of players of the Palladium games if the skills are available to the particular OCC the player chooses, specifically Acrobatics, Boxing and Gymnastics. See also The Prime 4.

The Prime 4
A list of skills identical to the previously noted The Prime 3 with the addition of Plyometrics from Rifter 7.

The Omega List
A term often used to described the drop dead last skills a player will take, specifically anything listed under the Domestic Skills table.

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:57 am

D-Bee

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
The Fourth Power:

According to some, the Fourth Power is Phase Energy, capable of both counteracting and interacting with Magic, Psionics, and the Laws of Physics, but which does not appear to truly belong to any of the other three categories of Energy Types used in Palladium Books Game Settings.

actually, Chi is the fourth power, Phase Power is the fifth.
Did Chi predate Phase Energy??

More importantly, doesn't Chi simply replace PPE/ISP in certain Palladium Gaming Systems??

Phase Energy interacts with the other Three Powers, yet appears to be almost completely separate from them..

yes, it predates them, no it doesn't replace them. in fact, the powers found in Rifts Japan and China in fact bear little resemblance to Chi power found in N&SS, and N&SS keeps the other powers mentioned

And theres also Bio-E used in TMNT as well as by Mutant Animals in HU and biotech in Splicers so if as drewkitty ~..~ says
"PPE is the energy of the body&spirit.

ISP is the power of the mind.

Chi is the power of the body"

Bio-E would be the power of Life. (Maybe that's what Zeds eat in DR)

"Think on the battle-cost; this time the wolf has lost. Beaten and broken and blind.
Better beware, my lord; better prepare, my lord; I was the least of my kind."
I was the Least of my Kind
Echos Children

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:02 am

D-Bee

One I've come across:

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies

"Just for that, your entire party falls into hell. Roll to see how painfully you die."
—Comic Book Guy, The Simpsons

This is what happens in role playing games when the Game Master gets utterly fed up with the players: he kills them all spectacularly.

Precisely what drives a GM to this extreme varies. Perhaps somebody was a Rules Lawyer once too often. Perhaps the gaming group mocked his plotting skills a bit too much. The players might have spent all their time going everywhere but where the plot wants them to. Maybe the group consisted entirely of Munchkins. Maybe they didn't like that "totally awesome" GMPC as much as the GM did and tried to kill him in his sleep. Or maybe the players are just Too Dumb to Live. Or maybe, just maybe, the GM is a sadistic bastard who's determined to see the players fail at any cost.

Regardless of the cause, if the GM goes as far as Rocks Fall Everyone Dies, the campaign has failed on a grand scale. Maybe it's time to stop the metagaming, time to let somebody else GM, or just to find a new gaming group altogether.

A lesser form of this trope can target just one particularly annoying player, often with a bolt of lightning. Since the GM is the local god, this works even if the target character is underground, in a Faraday cage and wearing a static discharge bracelet. Merely threatening players with lightning can also be effective in controlling players. The first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Masters' Guide even suggested using "blue bolts from the heavens" and "ethereal mummies" on PCs to keep their players in line.

The webcomic Something Positive is generally credited with bringing the phrase to the public conciousness in this strip. The underlying concept is rather older, having been seen in the extremely deadly AD&D adventure Tomb Of Horrors in 1975 (and quite likely used by individual DMs even before that). This ending is a Tabletop Games form of Shoot the Shaggy Dog, or Kill 'Em All when premeditated. A subtrope of Total Party Kill. When the players decide to detonate the game instead of the GM, it's Off the Rails. A nigh-unbeatable Beef Gate used this way is sometimes referred to as a "Grudge Monster" or "Grudge NPC."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... eryoneDies

From the very awesome site Tv Tropes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tropes
You should all go there and lose hours of your life at a time. If my wife didn't love the site as much as I do she would have left me.

"Think on the battle-cost; this time the wolf has lost. Beaten and broken and blind.
Better beware, my lord; better prepare, my lord; I was the least of my kind."
I was the Least of my Kind
Echos Children

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Palladin

Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Tadrith wrote:
One I've come across:

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies

"Just for that, your entire party falls into hell. Roll to see how painfully you die."
—Comic Book Guy, The Simpsons

This is what happens in role playing games when the Game Master gets utterly fed up with the players: he kills them all spectacularly.

Precisely what drives a GM to this extreme varies. Perhaps somebody was a Rules Lawyer once too often. Perhaps the gaming group mocked his plotting skills a bit too much. The players might have spent all their time going everywhere but where the plot wants them to. Maybe the group consisted entirely of Munchkins. Maybe they didn't like that "totally awesome" GMPC as much as the GM did and tried to kill him in his sleep. Or maybe the players are just Too Dumb to Live. Or maybe, just maybe, the GM is a sadistic bastard who's determined to see the players fail at any cost.

Regardless of the cause, if the GM goes as far as Rocks Fall Everyone Dies, the campaign has failed on a grand scale. Maybe it's time to stop the metagaming, time to let somebody else GM, or just to find a new gaming group altogether.

A lesser form of this trope can target just one particularly annoying player, often with a bolt of lightning. Since the GM is the local god, this works even if the target character is underground, in a Faraday cage and wearing a static discharge bracelet. Merely threatening players with lightning can also be effective in controlling players. The first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Masters' Guide even suggested using "blue bolts from the heavens" and "ethereal mummies" on PCs to keep their players in line.

The webcomic Something Positive is generally credited with bringing the phrase to the public conciousness in this strip. The underlying concept is rather older, having been seen in the extremely deadly AD&D adventure Tomb Of Horrors in 1975 (and quite likely used by individual DMs even before that). This ending is a Tabletop Games form of Shoot the Shaggy Dog, or Kill 'Em All when premeditated. A subtrope of Total Party Kill. When the players decide to detonate the game instead of the GM, it's Off the Rails. A nigh-unbeatable Beef Gate used this way is sometimes referred to as a "Grudge Monster" or "Grudge NPC."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... eryoneDies

From the very awesome site Tv Tropes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tropes
You should all go there and lose hours of your life at a time. If my wife didn't love the site as much as I do she would have left me.
:ok:

The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:08 am

Champion

Comment: Kill it with Fire.
Gazebo Hunter
Someone who wasn't listening to the dm suddenly says i hit it without getting clarification on what it was that is about to be hit.
based off a funny story one of my players that told me about a gazebo and some guy attacking it.

Timmy the target - The mage, healer or scholar in the party that either
a. charges past the frontline fighters and tries to hit a bad guy, and is dressed in a robe and has a staff.
or
b. Fully annihilates an enemy with one (usually magical and spectacular) attack, and then wonders why every other enemy in the fight tries to destroy him.
taken from an adventure in the yin sloth jungles.

"ISP is the power of the mind." - Only if your a mind mage, if you are a first ed healer base isp goes off PE, which tends to point to power of the body.

I know this is from dnd but my players still use the terms. (im a loony/real roleplayer)
Real Man
Real Roleplayer
Loony
Munchkin
what category are you.
http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~leirbakk/rpg/ad ... dbook.html

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Palladin

Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.
Wouldn't Eyelor and Wormwood qualify for Lady of Pain syndrome too? Unlike Cormal and the Demon Planets, these two living planets are not given stats.