Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

Post subject: Random Encounter Table
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:00 pm

Explorer

We've used the random wilderness encounter tables in the books before, i'm sure. But how about we take a number and make a list of encounters not found in the books?

Anyone want to take #1?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:31 am

Adventurer

#1: You find a rifted furpile who invite you for a skritch.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:36 am

Explorer

#2: a band of Flooper gypsy wizard thiefs, they dance and fall over and amaze the characters for a while, but after they floop away the characters may be missing items... :twisted:

Last edited by Spyder on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:21 am

Explorer

#3 a phantasm (new west page#157) has no evil intetions and will just follow the group out of sight and make them go mad. Will leave after 1D4 days. Just out for a laugh.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:06 pm

Champion

#4 Slasher: an enhanced zombie with a penchant for Chainsaws, Machetes, Spiked Clubs Etc begins stalking the group and those around them. PS 50, Spd 3, PP 10, SDCMDC at least 500. Can regen points completely 1d4+1 times so just when they think theyve beaten "it" he rises 1d4 nights later
Modifiers:
1 Eats Brains for Increased Psionic Points (To use with SIS: SDC)
2 Eats Heart for Increased Magic for us with Armor of Ithan
3 Eats Heart for Increased SDC/MDC
4 Eats Brains for Telepathy to know what the victim knew
5 Eats face to Shape Change into victim for a time
6 Eats Heart for increased Strength

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Palladin

#5:
Your party comes upon the site of a battle between a group of mages and a Coalition Armoured Column.
There are a few survivors on both sides, all in need of serious medical attention.

GM rolls: (on percentile)
01-60- There are more mages than CS troops still alive.
61-00- there are more CS troops than mages still alive.

01-75- there is approximately 10,000 Credits worth of salvage (armour, weapons, etc)
76-00- there is 100,000 Credits worth of salvageable material.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:06 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
I started to make a table for each of the Major Regions in the world. Then I realized I would need to make generic stats for each OCC. I've been spending all my time doing just that.

As of late, I just take the wilderness encounter tables from Sourcbeook 2 and replace the mechanoid groups with something else.

BUT........
Since you did ask, my contribution is:

#6:
Two randomly rolled Dinosaurs from RMB being controlled by a randomly rolled Intelligent Predator from RMB.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:47 am

Explorer

#7 a tectonic entitiy conversion book page#178 Roll % to chose what they are possessing.
1-10%leave and rags
11-20%tin cans and/or rubbish
21-30%dirt and rock
31-40%metal alloys
41-50%MD debris
51-60% a skelebot thats computer was damaged, 1/4 of its armor is gone, has all of the standard weapons.
61-70% a golom that was built but possessed before the spell was finshed, cant regenerate like a true golom.
71-80% a small doll that looks cute and innocent is found on the path with a note that looks like a child wrote it saying to please return mister/misses insert childish name here if the PCs take the doll it wont move untill their asleep and then it'll attack.
81-90%a large borg that was possessed before brain installment
91-100% a large pile of acidic slime it has 500 SDC and can only be hurt by fire MD fire does = damage in SDC plasma does half damage. any thing that is touched by it takes damage just as if it had been hit by napalm-P GMG page#172.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:37 am

Wanderer

Shorty Lickens wrote:

Quote:
I started to make a table for each of the Major Regions in the world. Then I realized I would need to make generic stats for each OCC. I've been spending all my time doing just that.

Good luck Shorty Lickens :-) I have done that several years ago for all world book that I've got and I'm still updating it.

Here my contribution:

#8:

A newly arrived Kremin cyborg into the world, he's searching a way to find out the way to use and old plastic toys water gun. He thing this is a weapon of great importance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:55 pm

D-Bee

#9: a tiny lizard that feeds on miniscule amounts of PPE begins following the group's magic user, resting happily on her shoe. Every hour after, 3d6 more show up. They do no damage, and mean no harm, they just follow her everywhere, pile on top of her when she sleeps, and are a general nuisance, especially when there are 200 of them following her around town.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:10 pm

Explorer

#10 an Adult Great Dream Snake (new west page#144): this Dream Snake is bored and upon seeing the party will offer to grant their wishes. A power that every one knows the snakes have. After the party has chosen whether or not to take him up on the offer he will let them go with out any trouble. He has no wish to harm the PCs and only wants to be entertained. If the party attacks he will fight back with all of his formidable strength, will only run if there is no hope of winning.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:18 pm

D-Bee

A while walking through a ley line, a large object falls from the sky. Within seconds, it impacts the ground and causes a large crunch and splatter. After the dust settles, it appears to be a large ocean going sea creature, possibly a sperm whale. An object read indicates no existance prior to falling.
The PC's may want to clean all thier clothing now.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:03 pm

Adventurer

#12: A large bowl of petunias. The bowl is smashed and looks slightly scorched. Object read indicates the petunias did not exist before falling from a great height.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Explorer

#13 A rugged man dressed in dusty leather pants and a leather jacket approaches the group. He's carrying a shotgun and a gasoline can. A mangy dog stands by his side and growls menacingly. The man is looking for "guzaline" and wants to know if the players have seen any of the precious "juice" anywhere.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:40 pm

Wanderer

14: A man dressed with a brown lather jacket and dusty leather pants. One of his arms is missing and replaced with a chainsaw and he has a shotgun in the other hand. The man said ‘’I’m not here again! Gotta get the hell out of here...’’ If anyone ask, he said ‘’my name is Ash’’ and then the man extends his chainsaw arm, pulling on the starter cord. The CHAINSAW ROARS to life. With his free arm the man raises the shotgun. With a fancy style western flip to the gun, the man saddles the shotgun in a makeshift holster, strapped to his back, he then leave the place.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:20 pm

Explorer

#15 The characters come upon a CS/Triax/insert opposing military unit here. the grunt has suffered head injuries and his/her armor is badly damaged. The grunt is actually suffering from amnesia and has no idea who he is or where he's from. Do the characters help? or take advantage of his predicament?

ooh, look it's sticky!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:51 am

Explorer

#16 A swarm of sentient used tissues the have been magicly animated attack the party. They will stick to any thing they touch and lift it no mater how heavy it is.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:55 am

Knight

Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
#17 The party comes across a perfectly laid out picnic lunch. There is enough food and liquid to feed a good four people, though there are no tracks either coming or going to indicate who might have set it up. The party first notices it after clearing some bushes and are a good ten feet away from it. It radiates neither magic nor evil, yet there is still something unsettling about the entire scene.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:01 am

Explorer

#18 a bored ancient dragon (guess what he want)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:23 am

Dungeon Crawler

#19 Animated Magic the Gathering cards attack and begin inflicting awful paper cuts

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:21 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

A skunk wanders into the characters camp in the wilderness, and falls asleep insidethe armour of a city slicker style character....

Unless there are any wilderness based characters the characters may not relise what the skunk is, or not handle it corectly and they get sprayed.:

Side effect: the sprayed character cannot wear body armour until the smell has been treated (too gagging inside EBA) and will probably have to be downwind of the party, and makes social interactions a little bit harder.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:16 am

Adventurer

A sleazy 20th century liquor store phase shifts to the party's location. The owner will gladly barter with the party for merchandise that he has on the shelves, or gaseline. If the party tries to rob him though, they get a nasty surprise... He's from the hero's unlimited universe, and he has superhuman endurance (MDC) & a few other powers or gadgets. He's a retired special forces guy, that's sunk his life savings into this store that he got for a great price. The store phase shifts away from the HU universe for a couple hours every full moon, so he always works that shift to protect his investment.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:56 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
For a while I thought this was going to be a 1d20 list!

It seems like we would probably need a percentile list like in SB2. It needs to be topical to the area and current campaign theme. Which means a butt-load of customized lists.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:19 am

Explorer

# 22 A man is out duck hunting mistakes the party for a flock ducks starts blasting away :lol: :eek: :shock: :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:18 am

D-Bee

#23 MIRROR MIRROR. Evil Copys of the current Characters.

They are battle ready and blood thirsty...

GM Copy all current character sheets and you run the battle..

This can be very dangerous for party members, reroll if your a GM that doesn't kill players.

After they defeat the Evil Copies... A DB appears and will grant each of them one wish...

GM Be evil... but if a wish is worded well be kind...

HAVE FUN!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:17 pm

Explorer

#24 "Where the hell is my magic spoon!!!" A crazy pop out of nowhere and stars harassing the party, yelling incoherently about his lost magic spoon, his source of power, his secret weapon to battle the forces of the evil breakfast demon of cocopops.

After a few minutes of rambling, the ground will start to shake and the sky darken. a minute later the crazy screams "AAH Curse you Demon Of Cocopos!" A tectonic entity appears, made out of hundreds of cases of cocopops. Battle ensues...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:59 pm

D-Bee

Comment: Techniclarity@gmail.com is my gmail...
.:)

Sith hits this ****.

Four letters four words....
# 25 a very very bored lizard mage acompanied by two baalrog demons(the demons may or may not be friendly to the lizard: roll percentiles

00-25 they are his enemies and have not yet figured out that he is just toying with them.

26-55 they are his servants and seem almost brainwashed when dealing directly with him in fact you might call them downright docile-- until he gives an order.

56-90 they are associates of his and he owes them money

91-99 they are not in any way connected to the lizard and are as bored and confused by the circumstances as he is

suffice it to say that running into a trio of bored GREATER DEMONS is likely to ruin a perfectly crappy day in anyones life.

Post subject: #25 on the list
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:59 am

Wanderer

# 25 The party stumble across a six-inch splugorth that appears to be dazed and confused. An object read shows it did not exist until it fell from the sky only moments ago. :x

ps: I know object read wouldnt work

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Adventurer

Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

PC's come across a complete lawn patio set with deck chairs, tables, and umbrella. Lying back on one of the patio chairs is an attractive female human / atlantean / elf / etc. in skimpy beach attire, sipping on a very refreshing looking cold drink. (the drink also has a tiny umbrella)

What the PC's don't yet know is that the comely young lass is actually:
01-10 : A Succubus / D'arota or other similar demon in humanoid form. Feeding time!
11-20 : A adult Great Horned Dragon or other powerful dragon (alignment is GM's pick) in humanoid form.
21-30 : An illusionary trap set by mages from the Federation of Magic.
31-40 : An actual humanoid woman that was rifted here while napping, and doesn't realize where she is yet.
41-50 : An Amazon / Sea Titan / Undead Slayer or other powerful MDC humanoid that is simply taking a quick breather, and won't appreciate gawking.
51-60 : An Altaran Blind Warrior Woman being used as bait for a band of Splugorth Slavers very, very close by.
61-70 : A major Goddess of Love & Beauty in a from a powerful pantheon in a mischevious mood. Watch out!
71-80 : A Pre-rifts 3-D holographic billboard or ad, running on solar power, that is still functional. Could be worth a fortune or maybe there are ruins nearby.
81-90 : A wood Nymph coerced into helping other Faerie folk in setting up a really great practical joke.
91-00 : A local Noble or powerful Merchant, enjoying a refreshing drink, and the PC's have somehow wandered into her expansive back yard.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:01 pm

Rifter® Contributer

#27 - The character group suddenly encounters a road paved with yellow bricks. A small group of people approaches, singing and skipping as they go.

The first is a scarecrow.

The second is a mutant lion (full biped, full hands, full speech, no looks) with an irrational desire to prove his masculinity.

The third is a full conversion 'borg who hates any lifeform not belonging to his party.

The fourth is a succubus with a shoe fetish. She is flying her demonic superiors, but has not told her companions yet.

And that little dog?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:27 am

Wanderer

I think every one covered what I wanted, just wanted to add that I love these tables lol.

One game I GMed we rolled a gian worm like creature that breathed fire and had a weakness to fire :lol: needless to say that battle ended quickly keep up the good work 8)

Never kiss a girl whose brothers have knife scars.
-Mat Cauthon

When a woman says she will obey you, of her own will, it is time to sleep lightly and watch your back.
-Asmodean, to Rand al'Thor

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:50 pm

Dungeon Crawler

NPC: " Me and my friends here can help you out. Hell, we don't even need a reward."

Post subject: he he
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:02 pm

Adventurer

28: a 15th level vagabond full conversion borg from the upcoming vagabond uprising book demanding spare change while pointing the business end of a concealed plasma stoggie at the party

"i shall kill you until you die from it" hot shots part deux

glitterboy2098 wrote:

:lol: just imagine the Hamster Airforce, with the furballs flying ducted fan Scale F-86's....and providing air support for the Rodent Armored Cav, in RC tanks...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:37 pm

Hero

Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.
29: The party becomes aware of the sound of a baby crying. Following the noise leads to a farm house that looks abandoned. Searching the house will reveal an infant that looks to be suffering from mal-nutrition. The baby is bait for the vampires that live in the cellar! They will attack while the players are busy with the baby.

(Note: They baby is a vampire too. How evil is that?)

Let's keep this thread going people, this is cool!

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:22 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

While traveling along a Ley Line the party gets sucked into a random rift. They arrive in a building the size of a large hangar with no gear (GM option they can be totally naked) and all ISP & PPE has been drained by the rift. After a few short minutes of trying to figure out where they are to their horror they find evidence that they are on a Mechanoid controlled world. Objective: Survive until the mage has enough PPE recovered to Rift the party back home.

To make it harder the world itself is anti-magic and PPE recovery is a slow 1 PPE per day.

In the alternative the GM can have mercy on the group by
1) as each one dies s/he finds themselves back in front of the Rift watching the others struggle to survive. To the fallen PC the rift is now just the ultimate big screen tv.
OR
2) The PCs need to survive for only a few short (?) hours before the rift returns them to where it pulled them from fully clothed and with all PPE/ISP restored.

John 3:16 says it all

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Explorer

#31 - The PCs find themselves standing outside of a rundown building surrounded by junked Pre-Rifts automobiles. Before they can investigate further, the door to the building swings wide open and a short balding man in a very loud plaid jacket rushes out to greet them. This man will try anything to get the PCs to buy one of his cars, if the PCs inquire about what he has on his "lot" they discover...
01-50 - All of the cars are junk, barely more than a frame.
51-75 - One or two of the cars are in salvagable condition, they could be purchased cheaply and sold for higher prices as scrap or for useable parts.
75-90 - One of the cars is in fixable condition, if any of the PCs has skill in automotive mechanics, this car can live again!
91-00 - A single car on the lot is somehow, amazingly in mint condition! Further more, the car salesman seems to have a disdane for this make and model, and is willing to let it go for a steal! (rembmer, this is a pre-Rifts automobile, GM picks make and model.)

#32 - The PCs discover a crash site! A large saucer shaped vehicle of some kind is sticking out of the ground at an odd angle. The ground around the vehicle is cratered and blasted, as if the strange vessal fell from the sky and created a massive explosion when it "landed". The vehicle's hatch is hanging open, two smallish (about 4'5" tall) grey humanoid body's lay near the vessal. They have overly large heads with large black eyes but an otherwise featureless face. They wear strange metallic looking flight suits, and are very dead.
Searching the bodies reveals:
01-75 - A few small peices of straight metal engraved with strange symols attached to a keyring (the keys to the saucer?), several small strange coins.
76-00 - A black velvet portrait of Elvis, and a strange looking pistol reminiscent of 1950's sci-fi pulp novels/movies...(GM decides weapon's stats.)
Searching the vessal reveals:
01-50 - 10.000 credits worth of salvagable materials, the vessal is totally destroyed.
51-80 - 100.000 credits worth of salvaglable materials, the vessal is totally destroyed.
81-00 - 100,000 credits and the vessal could be repaired if there is a experienced operator in the party, or they bring a team to the crash site.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:10 pm

Explorer

#28...

BEES!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:05 am

D-Bee

# 33

PC's notice an obvious and intense shining coming from a diamond placed few meters from the road.. (best suited for rocky or forrest/jungle terrain)

as they are likely to approach it, more diamonds reveal to them in a line, with a 10-15 meter spread one from another, making a path to a cavern... or a hole, whatever.

alltough, it is obvious trap, it's very hard to resist... the question is, when to stop and say "we got enough" :x

what could really be behind it:

01-10: thief running from beasts had a hole in his pants... party finds his
body in a cavern half-eaten

11-66: somebody set up a bait, trying to get fresh souls to sacrifice them to his demon-god. the cavern may be an entrance to a huge underground/mountain halls (resembling Tolkien's Moria), holding a tribe of humans/d-bees in pact with a powerful demon.

67-84: a party of manhunters/raiders in search of healthy limbs and bionic implants set up a trap, using worthless, illusion stones

85-99: the diamonds are, in fact, batteries used by an ex-military AI robot in hiding from CS (in eg.)... batteries are filling in sunlight. he'll get them later. hehehe

00: party actually ran into a field of real, genuine diamonds, which are being somehow appearing monthly on ground surface for a long time now. the phenomenon is apparently connected with an ogre living near by. the party can freely reap the field once a month (GM's decision on price and quantity). the ogre willingly rapes all males in the party every single time. :oops:

damn, i like being a GM

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:34 am

Adventurer

Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet
#34: OMG! Zombies!! See article in Rifter #40.

Kelorin WINZ!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:03 pm

D-Bee

[quote="Ted Smythe"]#27 - The character group suddenly encounters a road paved with yellow bricks. A small group of people approaches, singing and skipping as they go..."quote]heh

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:41 am

Hero

#35 A little 8-year-old girl in a pretty pink dress asks for help to find her kittens.

Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:46 am

Hero

#36 Party comes upon an old raggedy beggar with begging bowl. "Alms for the poor..." he states holding his bowl up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:18 pm

D-Bee

#37: A flying saucer lands in front of the party group. Roll a die to figure out who the saucer targets.

When the door opens, a little alien will walk out and say "Excuse me, (character name)? You're a jerk." The alien will call him/her a few more names, get into the spaceship, and fly away.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:35 pm

Hero

#38 Come upon 1d4+1 bodies drained of blood.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Hero

#39 Come upon puddles of blood. Source is dripping from trees over head. Further investagation reveals 1d4+1 bodies skinned hanging upside down. If investiaged even more, skull and spine are missing.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)

a cs patrol comes across your party and it has wounded. the cs squad with perhaps superior training treats the wound and then drops on the party they either are looking for a reason to leave the cs 2. have already left the cs and need help in combating cs that will no doubt be in pursiut 3. stole something from the cs (maps,etc) to give to a resistance or make money on the side,or any combo of these ideas. i for one have used them and it has brought hours of conversation. the players are just waiting for a trick...maybe one comes maybe not. try it. :-)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:50 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

#41 - 3D6 alien robots (pick your fav PA from Phase World) come storming at the heroes with obvious intent to kill. They are tactically smart, work in teams, and obviously know what they are doing. However, the bots are all SDC and armed with SDC only weaponry. Once 1/3 are destroyed, the rest will flee.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:45 pm

Rifter® Contributer

#42 - A human boy on a bicycle approaches the group, grumbling over and over, "I want my two dollars."

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:54 pm

Hero

#43 “Telegram” says a well dressed Bell–hop all in red. He gives a random party member a telegram, tips his hat and leaves. It states: “Good luck in your next action. We suggest it be a Dodge. Signed; Best Wishes from the Luck & Improbability Guild.” You look around, a huge bladed pendulum is swing low to the ground in their direction. Save vs Dodge 20. Fail = 6d10 damage.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:58 pm

Hero

#44 A 12 foot deep, 6 foot wide hole opens up in front of you. There’s a ladder leading down. At the bottom is a colorfully clothed Gnome waving you down, “Quick, this way out…….” Do you go? If no, he says, “Oh well, I tried to help.” He and the hole vanishes. If yes, GM’s discretion as to what happens.