Half breed characters/insanity

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thom001
Explorer

Half breed characters/insanity

Unread post by Thom001 »

Hey everyone, I see a lot of player try to make half breed characters often to make them stronger but have you or your players ever made a character that was half breed with as many negatives as positives or more that actually weakened the character? If so, please share. Thanks. Also in your opinions would there be any half and half combinations that would be more likely to have an insanity? Thanks.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Half breed characters/insanity

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

That term is generally considered to be offensive. You might instead go with the words hybrid or interspecies, particularly since this is meant in a fantasy context.

Taking a cue from some of the more common Earth hybrids, one could play around with designer plant people, who could quickly grow some marketable product like fruit, flowers, or pollen, but are left susceptible to disease, or barely able to move, or subject to having foreign plant stock grafted to their bodies. Alternatively, maybe canid humanoids underwent a time similar to the Victorian Era, where selective breeding led to all sorts of people with breathing problems or hip dysplasia or shorter lifespan as the result of generations of inbreeding, but were found cute or were optimised for a certain purpose. Perhaps felid humanoids are often forced into specific pairings by their dinosaurid overlords so as to create 2 infertile slave castes, with Ligerians prone to gigantism so as to be put to the use in the gladiatorial ring, while Pumapardites prone to dwarfism are sent to work as slaves in lunar mines.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

The general rule is, Palladium has NO half-breed or hybrid races. The rule is based on logic, the chances of two different species mating successfully is near zero. An elf and a human my be similar in appearance, but they evolved on different worlds. They're no more compatible than a horse and a spider.

That said, if you want a hybrid, why not design a race with the attributes you want, and describe the new race as having the appearance of the two races combined? Examples:

The Trelves, Tall, strong, and mean, the Trelves resemble nothing more than a nine foot tall elf with tusks. They live under wooden bridges, and are the most beautiful monsters you will ever see.

Dwargons, short, gruff, bearded, and scaled, these winged builders breathe fire and have elaborate underground lairs filled with gold and jewels they've dug up themselves.

Wolfenpucks, a race of tiny fuzzballs that resemble 3 foot tall wolfen with faerie wings. Friendly and playful, wolfenpucks are drawn to adventure and excitement!
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

ITWastrel wrote:They're no more compatible than a horse and a spider.

We've already got flying carnivorous horses (dragondactyls), so if we ever end up with 8 legged carnivorous subterranean horses, I now know exactly who would be to blame....
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ITWastrel wrote:The general rule is, Palladium has NO half-breed or hybrid races. The rule is based on logic, the chances of two different species mating successfully is near zero. An elf and a human my be similar in appearance, but they evolved on different worlds. ...snip

Except for the deific exception, it is specifically stated that there are no racial cross breeding within any gamebook written by PB. For the scientific reasons.
Side-note: the elvish race was created by the Old Ones and the Lizard Mage race.

Yes there are all those human sub-groups intermingling. These have bee discussed to green goo about four or five times in the past 20 years. you can probably find these discussions be sourcing these forums.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Thanks everyone. I was unaware half-breeds were not really a thing in palladium games. I guess that was just a house rule my group had. I did like the ideas shared though. Thanks.

I do want to address this and insert some logic.
Curbludgeon wrote:That term is generally considered to be offensive. You might instead go with the words hybrid or interspecies, particularly since this is meant in a fantasy context.

We are talking about imaginary characters in a fake setting. As none of these things actually exist, they cannot be offended. By this line of logic, using the term half-breeds to describe creatures or beings that don't actually exist is not offensive.
Curbludgeon
Hero

There's no need for insinuating my comment was illogical. The term "half breed" exists, and is consistently used in a derogatory context. Even the 19th century U.S. political faction of that name was derived as an insult. No one is suggesting that some fictional character, as a half elf, is offended on the behalf of all minotaurs or anything. If someone was publicly talking about dragons by way of crudely joking about their reproduction, a parent there with a small child could take issue with the language alone, independent of any referent.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Curbludgeon wrote:There's no need for insinuating my comment was illogical. The term "half breed" exists, and is consistently used in a derogatory context. Even the 19th century U.S. political faction of that name was derived as an insult. No one is suggesting that some fictional character, as a half elf, is offended on the behalf of all minotaurs or anything. If someone was publicly talking about dragons by way of crudely joking about their reproduction, a parent there with a small child could take issue with the language alone, independent of any referent.

I have to agree that some terms can be inherently offensive, no matter the context.

Half-breed may have once been a completely innocuous term, but since the 1800s it's been used by racists and to denigrate multiracial children.

My mother has described the horrid treatment she endured growing up biracial. To her, the term half-breed might as well be the N-word. If you ever want to see a tiny, very angry, septuagenarian, just say half-breed within earshot of my mama.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Since the discussion has turned toward one about offensive language....

That the term is " generally considered to be offensive" is the part I'd have to disagree with. Yes, it can be offensive when used in the context of trying to being insulting. Just like using the words infantile, and juvenile are not inherently offensive, except when they are being used to insult someone.

If taking the grumpy ones logic he should be complaining to himself for his own use offensive language. Since he is not, he is just being hypocritical in his own statements, since his deeds say it is alright to insult and troll others.

Side note: the slang word derived from name Nigeria in England has the meaning: goldbricker (my dad had a boss from England and he carried around a English dictionary with him to show people this), and in chinese it is their 'thinking sound' much like the American aaahhh (this was in the news in the early part of December).

Warning: Warning for the violation of Rule 2. Flaming/ Harrassment.
To identify someone by an incorrect pronoun is misgendering.
Misgendering is a form of flaming/flamebaiting. It is also a form of harassment.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote: If taking the grumpy ones logic he should be complaining to himself for his own use offensive language. Since he is not, he is just being hypocritical in his own statements, since his deeds say it is alright to insult and troll others.

Not to be a jerk, but "the grumpy one" identifies as a "They/Them". They have it in their personal information that pops up under their picture when they post.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Thom001 wrote:Thanks everyone. I was unaware half-breeds were not really a thing in palladium games. I guess that was just a house rule my group had. I did like the ideas shared though. Thanks.

I do want to address this and insert some logic.
Curbludgeon wrote:That term is generally considered to be offensive. You might instead go with the words hybrid or interspecies, particularly since this is meant in a fantasy context.

We are talking about imaginary characters in a fake setting. As none of these things actually exist, they cannot be offended. By this line of logic, using the term half-breeds to describe creatures or beings that don't actually exist is not offensive.

I agree, the politically correct need to take a breath.
The world was a better place when cry-babies weren't pandered to, including in fantasy and sci-fi settings. The episodes of STD I've seen are a prime example of what happens when things are allowed to go as far as they can.

That said, I can see why Palladium doesn't allow for half-breeds of various races. Sure in a lot of settings, half-elves are fairly integral, as are half-orcs; but Palladium went partially away from Tolkien with half-elves, and forged their own path. Of course they went along with the elves being a diminishing race, but whatever...
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

ITWastrel wrote:The general rule is, Palladium has NO half-breed or hybrid races. The rule is based on logic, the chances of two different species mating successfully is near zero. An elf and a human my be similar in appearance, but they evolved on different worlds. They're no more compatible than a horse and a spider.

Outside of specific cases (Deific or due to Licensed Property*) the result when two races that are compatible for breeding is that the off spring will be a full member of one race not some mix of the two.

*Licensed Property is forced on Palladium due to the properties setting calling for it (example Robotech and Macross 2 lines both had hybrid offspring characters) that did not follow the Palladium rule of the off spring being fully one race of the parent in terms of attributes and such. 1E Robotech treated Dana as a fluke (one-of-kind IIRC), but 2E did allow for it as did the Macross 2 line.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Captain_Nibbz wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote: If taking the grumpy ones logic he should be complaining to himself for his own use offensive language. Since he is not, he is just being hypocritical in his own statements, since his deeds say it is alright to insult and troll others.

Not to be a jerk, but "the grumpy one" identifies as a "They/Them". They have it in their personal information that pops up under their picture when they post.

If Curbludgeon don't want people 'not to care' if the pronoun use to short cut wording instead of Curbludgeon's screen name, then Curbludgeon shouldn't insult others left and right.

Curbludgeon has named Curbludgeon rightly. And earned a place on my foe list, due to Curbludgeon's Curbludgeony words here in this board. Curbludgeon has reaped what Curbludgeon sewed.

Maybe in a few years if Curbludgeon doesn't live out Curbludgeon's screen name....

Warning: Warning for a violation of rule 2. Flaming/ Harrassment, among other things. You reap what you sew.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

I am truly saddened by the people in this thread disregarding a person's pronouns, and those decrying respect for other people.

Respecting someone's pronouns is a simple way to say "I respect you as a person." You may not understand or even care about their journey, but as a human being it's paramount to respect each other.*

Being "politically correct" isn't about keeping "crybabies" happy, it's about giving literally everyone respect as a human being. Perhaps some of you forgot that part. Just because the redhat maga-morons were in charge of the US for a while doesn't mean the rest of the world must accept their racist, sexist, closed minded bigotry.

Don't mistake loud bigotry for allowed bigotry, please.

Sadly, I expected better here.

*Even if they're a bit grumpy.
Curbludgeon
Hero

I don't get why a "political correctness gone mad" spiel gets so often followed by spamming language previously recognized as being questionable. It's almost a form of verbal coal rolling; it's doesn't so much "own" another person as seem confusingly performative.

Even if the phrase in the thread title didn't have two centuries of well-known problematic use behind it, it's still not the accurate term for what's described in this thread. My intitial statement wasn't intended as contentious, or inventing something out of whole cloth.

I'd be interested in a outer space setting with two sapient species diverging from a recent common ancestor that don't reproduce due to social reasons. An example of such might be the Badoon from Marvel Comics, where the male and female populations split long ago and reproduce with technology. Perhaps the long forgotten reason these groups don't intermingle is some trait such that a double recessive allele leads to some atavistic throwback only now remembered as a folkloric cryptid.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If Curbludgeon don't want people 'not to care' if the pronoun use to short cut wording instead of Curbludgeon's screen name, then Curbludgeon shouldn't insult others left and right.

Curbludgeon has named Curbludgeon rightly. And earned a place on my foe list, due to Curbludgeon's Curbludgeony words here in this board. Curbludgeon has reaped what Curbludgeon sewed.

Maybe in a few years if Curbludgeon doesn't live out Curbludgeon's screen name....

... ... ...

Okay, this is a disregard of forum rules. You've turned someone's screen name into an adjective used as an insult. Consider this my only warning. Next time I catch something like this, I will report it. I've used the report button only once in my years here, but this is getting ridiculous. Note: You may mistakenly be thinking of the word curmudgeon, which is not the same.

Curbludgeon didn't attack you as far as I can tell in this thread, so this is a personal grudge and inexcusable. Consider taking a break to calm down.

On a side note regarding offensive terms, I am often confused by people's refusal to use more acceptable terms. So, for example, the difference between half-breed and hybrid. If some people find one offensive and there's no issue with the other, why resist such a simple change? I get everyone may not be offended by it, but why fight for it when there are other non-offensive noptions? I honestly don't understand that mentality. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

What you quoted Pry was me just using his screen name each time I would of used it or a pronoun.

And no I didn't turn his screen name into a descriptor, that person chose a screen name that accurately describe himself. Don't try to put any blame on me, for his own choices.

And note, I didn't say he attacked me in this topic, but that he was being hypocritical in his claims that certain words are insulting (even if not intended to be), when he himself has used words on this board intending them to be insulting. That he was insulting me in the times I noticed him being insulting has no bering wether or not he did the insulting.

Warning: Warning for the violation of Rule 2. Flaming/ Harrassment.
To identify someone by an incorrect pronoun is misgendering.
Misgendering is a form of flaming/flamebaiting. It is also a form of harassment.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

ITWastrel wrote:I am truly saddened by the people in this thread disregarding a person's pronouns, and those decrying respect for other people.

Respecting someone's pronouns is a simple way to say "I respect you as a person." You may not understand or even care about their journey, but as a human being it's paramount to respect each other.*

Being "politically correct" isn't about keeping "crybabies" happy, it's about giving literally everyone respect as a human being. Perhaps some of you forgot that part. Just because the redhat maga-morons were in charge of the US for a while doesn't mean the rest of the world must accept their racist, sexist, closed minded bigotry.

Don't mistake loud bigotry for allowed bigotry, please.

Sadly, I expected better here.

*Even if they're a bit grumpy.

From what I've seen of the politically correct, it's about showing respect to people who agree with them fully.
Otherwise they're racist, sexist maga-morons, as you've said.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Fenris2020 wrote:
From what I've seen of the politically correct, it's about showing respect to people who agree with them fully.

So what you are saying is that it is alright to treat others as dirt if they don't agree with you? Cause that is how it reads to me.

Or were you being sardonic and meaning that 'it is all a big joke'?
Fenris2020
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

So what you are saying is that it is alright to treat others as dirt if they don't agree with you? Cause that is how it reads to me.

Or were you being sardonic and meaning that 'it is all a big joke'?

That's exactly how the politically correct treat people who don't agree with them 100%, yes.
And it is a joke. Just not a very funny one
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Fenris2020 wrote: Just not a very funny one

And here I agree with you.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

At this point we're treading pretty far into "Sound Off" territory, and very far from the original topic. If anyone actually wants to have this conversation I suggest posting a thread over there. Otherwise, it would seem that this topic has found a resolution to the original question.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Captain_Nibbz wrote:At this point we're treading pretty far into "Sound Off" territory, and very far from the original topic. If anyone actually wants to have this conversation I suggest posting a thread over there. Otherwise, it would seem that this topic has found a resolution to the original question.

Whatever the hell Sound Off is, sure
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Fenris2020 wrote:
Captain_Nibbz wrote:At this point we're treading pretty far into "Sound Off" territory, and very far from the original topic. If anyone actually wants to have this conversation I suggest posting a thread over there. Otherwise, it would seem that this topic has found a resolution to the original question.

Whatever the hell Sound Off is, sure

Sound Off is the off-topic political board on these forums. They have it set to hidden because there is a long history of fighting and trolling on it. You have to request access and be approved by a Mod. Check under your board settings on your profile to request access if your interested.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”