Anything you don't allow...?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Anything you don't allow...?

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

I'm a pretty lenient GM, so as long as it's legal, I'll generally allow my players to choose what they want to play. Naturally, full Cosmo-Knights and Godlings might be too powerful but that depends on the player...
But, one thing I don't allow is Floopers. In fact, in my game they're a dying race (the TGE found their home-world and obliterated it... kind of like the Tribbles of Rifts, only more irritating).
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Anything you don't allow...?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

The first time I really had a problem with what to allow was after Conversion Book One. Super powers, new magic, new races and man did the Hatchling Dragon in the group get WAYYYYY more powerful.

At that point I basically allowed everything but it was with the understanding that if it seriously disrupted the game that they would loose it. I personally loved allowing the characters to become more powerful because it allowed me to use tougher villains.

I also allow almost any character to be run but the players as a group have to decide what kind of campaign they want first so if the PG wants to run a group that can blend in CS territory then one of the PCs should not be an AbM Mechanoid or a Zebuloid from the Three Galaxies.

Fenris2020 wrote:But, one thing I don't allow is Floopers. In fact, in my game they're a dying race (the TGE found their home-world and obliterated it... kind of like the Tribbles of Rifts, only more irritating).

You only think the Floopers are dying in your game because that is what they want you to think. There day will come when the great Flooper hordes will dominate all games and I for one will welcome out new Flooper overlords.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

G.D.C.
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Mr. Jays wrote:G.D.C.

No GDC? Sounds like a killer GM to me.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Sohisohi
Explorer

Unread post by Sohisohi »

Usually anything that requires immediate GM ruling in the initial character pitch gets that players booted and blocked. I basically ask myself this, "what is the player trying to accomplish here and is there a better way to go about it"? If there is indeed a better (often simpler) way to go about it, and you believe the player in question is proficient in the system, then they are most definitely trying to pull a fast-one over on you and it is your duty as the GM to repay them in kind. I also have a list of secret combinations which I know are used by munchkins, I don't make it public in my games because someone will just use the second best version of what I ban to grief the game (one of which, I might not have experience with).

I hate to say it but I've slowly grown to hate the Rifts community, because unlike non-niche games (where meta builds are so public) you basically have to accept that your first few games will be ruined until you can accurately identity what you hate most in the system. It's why I feel bad for those above who try to make the most out of this gonzo kitchen sink system, your good-will WILL be taken advantage of by the WORST garbage-tier humans this game attracts. Show no mercy, ban any and everything you have to.
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Warshield73 wrote:
Mr. Jays wrote:G.D.C.

No GDC? Sounds like a killer GM to me.

That I am. Muwah ha ha ha
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

G.D.C. and G.D. were presented in the Rifter 9.5 issue.
1 G.D. - 1,000,000 M.D.
1 G.D.C. - 1,000,000 M.D.C.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Sohisohi wrote:Usually anything that requires immediate GM ruling in the initial character pitch gets that players booted and blocked. I basically ask myself this, "what is the player trying to accomplish here and is there a better way to go about it"? If there is indeed a better (often simpler) way to go about it, and you believe the player in question is proficient in the system, then they are most definitely trying to pull a fast-one over on you and it is your duty as the GM to repay them in kind. I also have a list of secret combinations which I know are used by munchkins, I don't make it public in my games because someone will just use the second best version of what I ban to grief the game (one of which, I might not have experience with).

I hate to say it but I've slowly grown to hate the Rifts community, because unlike non-niche games (where meta builds are so public) you basically have to accept that your first few games will be ruined until you can accurately identity what you hate most in the system. It's why I feel bad for those above who try to make the most out of this gonzo kitchen sink system, your good-will WILL be taken advantage of by the WORST garbage-tier humans this game attracts. Show no mercy, ban any and everything you have to.

I haven't encountered that, really.
I also don't keep any secrets about what is/ isn't allowed. That's running a game on false pretenses.
I don't just boot people out of hand... if a player is a munchkin, there's often a (bad past GM) reason for it. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt; if they insist on playing a character that's intentionally over-powered, that's a different thing than just making a character that they think will be fun to play. Yes, I've encountered some combinations that seem pretty powerful, but I have no problems with making some enemy to present the player's character a sufficient challenge.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Fenris2020
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:G.D.C. and G.D. were presented in the Rifter 9.5 issue.
1 G.D. - 1,000,000 M.D.

I don't have many Rifters… this is why.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Fenris2020 wrote:
1 G.D. - 1,000,000 M.D.

To be fair to the Rifters that issue was a joke issue. About the only things from that issue that should be taken seriously are the two magic classes from it.
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Fenris2020 wrote:I'm a pretty lenient GM, so as long as it's legal, I'll generally allow my players to choose what they want to play. Naturally, full Cosmo-Knights and Godlings might be too powerful but that depends on the player...
But, one thing I don't allow is Floopers. In fact, in my game they're a dying race (the TGE found their home-world and obliterated it... kind of like the Tribbles of Rifts, only more irritating).

For me, it's more about telling players not to be jerks in character creation. If we're playing a CS Centered game for example, don't go creating a Dragon Hatchling. It's just going to cause hurt feelings around the table and be disruptive. Create something you think is cool that still fits within the group for that game. You can play an anti-social character. You can play an anti-hero character. You can even play a cowardly character. I won't let you play an anti-social, anti-hero who is a coward. If that's what you really want to play, if that's the only way you can have fun (at the expense of the other players) this is not the group for you.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Beast wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
1 G.D. - 1,000,000 M.D.

To be fair to the Rifters that issue was a joke issue. About the only things from that issue that should be taken seriously are the two magic classes from it.

Not only was this the April Fools issue but some of the artwork under Giga-Damage was worth the price of the issue all on its own.

I have been a subscriber to the Rifter since issue one. I have them all and I'm really going to miss it especially the adventure and scenario ideas.

torjones wrote:For me, it's more about telling players not to be jerks in character creation. If we're playing a CS Centered game for example, don't go creating a Dragon Hatchling. It's just going to cause hurt feelings around the table and be disruptive. Create something you think is cool that still fits within the group for that game. You can play an anti-social character. You can play an anti-hero character. You can even play a cowardly character. I won't let you play an anti-social, anti-hero who is a coward. If that's what you really want to play, if that's the only way you can have fun (at the expense of the other players) this is not the group for you.

I think this is what its all about. The players and GM should work together one what kind of campaign it is and then it is the player's responsibility to create a character that fits in that campaign.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

The Beast wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
1 G.D. - 1,000,000 M.D.

Well, one of the Rifters I have made Chi-town to be invulnerable to magic with tech even the Three Galaxies cant approach.
After I got that one, I kind of lost interest.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Fenris2020 wrote:
The Beast wrote:To be fair to the Rifters that issue was a joke issue. About the only things from that issue that should be taken seriously are the two magic classes from it.

Well, one of the Rifters I have made Chi-town to be invulnerable to magic with tech even the Three Galaxies cant approach.

I must have missed this one? Do you know the article or at least an issue?
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
The Beast wrote:To be fair to the Rifters that issue was a joke issue. About the only things from that issue that should be taken seriously are the two magic classes from it.

I must have missed this one? Do you know the article or at least an issue?

I can answer that question when I get them unpacked.
It was an earlier issue, though, probably in the teens.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”