I don't understand maybe I'm doing it wrong

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

csyphrett
Adventurer

I don't understand maybe I'm doing it wrong

Unread post by csyphrett »

I have got into with this guy on another forum. he keeps telling me that you can't call critical strikes even though the HU book clearly says any type of flying attack is a critical strike and gets triple damage if you roll a 20.

If you can't call a strike, then why is it listed that any leap attack does critical damage? I'm breaking the book down and going over it. I'm pretty sure that if you can't call a critical or a knockout, they wouldn't give you the damage potential in the roll a damage section of the combat rules.

I mean right under the boxing listing it says you can call for a KO in a fight. So why wouldn't you be able to call for a knee to the face? i don't get where this guy is coming from and he will not let it go.

Just had to vent because it's driving me crazy
CES
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: I don't understand maybe I'm doing it wrong

Unread post by jaymz »

You are both right.

As I understand it you have to declare the attempt for a ko but stil have roll accordingly.
As for leap attack it does double damage only but you still have to hit unlike a natural 20 which is both a critical hit and and automatic success.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

csyphrett wrote:I have got into with this guy on another forum. he keeps telling me that you can't call critical strikes even though the HU book clearly says any type of flying attack is a critical strike and gets triple damage if you roll a 20.

If you can't call a strike, then why is it listed that any leap attack does critical damage? I'm breaking the book down and going over it. I'm pretty sure that if you can't call a critical or a knockout, they wouldn't give you the damage potential in the roll a damage section of the combat rules.

I mean right under the boxing listing it says you can call for a KO in a fight. So why wouldn't you be able to call for a knee to the face? i don't get where this guy is coming from and he will not let it go.

Just had to vent because it's driving me crazy
CES

I'm confused as to what you're asking. Are you asking if you can do called shots in melee, or are you asking if you can declare a strike is critical when you go to roll it?

jaymz wrote:You are both right.

As I understand it you have to declare the attempt for a ko but stil have roll accordingly.
As for leap attack it does double damage only but you still have to hit unlike a natural 20 which is both a critical hit and and automatic success.

Point of correction: Natural 20 is not an automatic success because the defender's still allowed to make a parry/dodge attempt. Granted it's a 1 in 20 chance they'll be successful in their attempt in defending, but the mere fact that their chances are more than zero means the attacker's attempt isn't automatically successful.
csyphrett
Adventurer

Thanks guys. I'm just venting because I don't want to violate the board rules and just snap. This guy has plain out stated that you cannot call a critical strike at all. You can only get a critical if you roll a natural number.

So basically any move like Tony Jaa's flying knee, Goldberg's spear, or Walker's flying roundhouse aren't really criticals and can't be called.
CES
The Beast

csyphrett wrote:Thanks guys. I'm just venting because I don't want to violate the board rules and just snap. This guy has plain out stated that you cannot call a critical strike at all. You can only get a critical if you roll a natural number.

So basically any move like Tony Jaa's flying knee, Goldberg's spear, or Walker's flying roundhouse aren't really criticals and can't be called.
CES

Okay, that clarifies things.

Your GM is correct, you can't call that your attack is a critical strike. It has to be the (usually natural) number required by your HtH form. However, if you have a special move (like Goldberg's spear) and the result of that move is a critical strike, you can announce that you're doing that move before rolling the die.

So using Ninjas and Superspies as the source for the following examples:

The Ninja HtH form (page 99) gives the Dedicated Martial Artist Critical Strike on Natural 18 or better at level 8. This means from that level on the DMA will always do a critical strike with zero need to announce it beforehand as long as the natural roll of the d20 is 18, 19, or 20 (barring the defender defending or the DMA wanting to do a pulled punch of course).

However that HtH form starts with the Leap Attack as a special attack. That means a first level DMA with Ninjitsu can start off their melee with a leap attack (this special move must be done as the first attack of the round) and they will do a critical strike if successful. The player just has to announce the move as his first attack that round before rolling their die, and be willing to sacrifice the rest of their attacks for that round (since that attack uses all available attacks/actions that round).
The Beast

Oh, important note. The above only applies if your GM is playing RAW. If he has some sort of house rule going on then you both need to work that out between the two of you, and your GM's a donkeyclown for not point out his house rules sooner.
csyphrett
Adventurer

The Beast wrote:
csyphrett wrote:Thanks guys. I'm just venting because I don't want to violate the board rules and just snap. This guy has plain out stated that you cannot call a critical strike at all. You can only get a critical if you roll a natural number.

CES

Okay, that clarifies things.

Your GM is correct, you can't call that your attack is a critical strike. It has to be the (usually natural) number required by your HtH form. However, if you have a special move (like Goldberg's spear) and the result of that move is a critical strike, you can announce that you're doing that move before rolling the die.

So using Ninjas and Superspies as the source for the following examples:

The Ninja HtH form (page 99) gives the Dedicated Martial Artist Critical Strike on Natural 18 or better at level 8. This means from that level on the DMA will always do a critical strike with zero need to announce it beforehand as long as the natural roll of the d20 is 18, 19, or 20 (barring the defender defending or the DMA wanting to do a pulled punch of course).

However that HtH form starts with the Leap Attack as a special attack. That means a first level DMA with Ninjitsu can start off their melee with a leap attack (this special move must be done as the first attack of the round) and they will do a critical strike if successful. The player just has to announce the move as his first attack that round before rolling their die, and be willing to sacrifice the rest of their attacks for that round (since that attack uses all available attacks/actions that round).

He's not my gm. He's a random guy on the internet that takes the position you can't call leap attacks, or any other critical hit, knock out, death blow. Two other guys came on the thread and told him quit confusing natural critical strikes with special move critical strikes.
CES

Return to “G.M.s Forum”