Instant actions

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Instant actions

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Every now and then I notice spells in Rifter that refer to "instant actions". I understand the use of "instant" when it refers to the duration of spells like fireball, but is there such a thing now as an "instant action"? I assume it's something just in Rifter, as I can't seem to find mention of it in any of my rulebooks. If so, what are the exact rules of an instant action? All the ones I've seen as being instant actions so far seem to be powers that augment something - such as an attack roll. For example, some spells that give you a bonus to hit with one attack. So, I assume that these are part of the action itself and don't use an actual melee attack?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Instant actions

Unread post by The Beast »

RainbowDevil wrote:Every now and then I notice spells in Rifter that refer to "instant actions". I understand the use of "instant" when it refers to the duration of spells like fireball, but is there such a thing now as an "instant action"? I assume it's something just in Rifter, as I can't seem to find mention of it in any of my rulebooks. If so, what are the exact rules of an instant action? All the ones I've seen as being instant actions so far seem to be powers that augment something - such as an attack roll. For example, some spells that give you a bonus to hit with one attack. So, I assume that these are part of the action itself and don't use an actual melee attack?

I think people are adding words when they don't need to. I suggest dropping "action" off of every spell that has it, and you should be good in the overwhelming majority of cases.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Instant actions

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Maybe tell us where some examples of these 'spell in the Rifter' are.......
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”