W.P. Archery question

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

W.P. Archery question

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

so the book states that rate of fire is 2 at level one, just to be clear(because my players wanted me to ask) that's 2 attacks a melee yes? And my next question is for a magical bow... this bow does not use normal arrows, instead when the player draws back the string, a magical arrow appears. would not having to reach into a quiver, grab another arrow, and knock it up their rate of fire to more than the standard 2 at level one, and if so.. by how many? right now the player has 7 attacks a round.
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: W.P. Archery question

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rate of fire 2, means two attacks per melee with a bow.

GM ruling will have to cover that. Maybe double the RoF of the a normal bow.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prysus
Champion

Re: W.P. Archery question

Unread post by Prysus »

Eryk Stormbright wrote:so the book states that rate of fire is 2 at level one, just to be clear(because my players wanted me to ask) that's 2 attacks a melee yes?

Greetings and Salutations. This is correct. I don't believe there's anything specifically called out for in Rifts, PF2, or most other main books. However, if we look at PF1, page 25, at the top of the page there's a "Code Key" and one of the codes is "R. = Rate of fire (per melee)" (bold and italics same as in the book). I'd say the best way to think of it is like Magic (in PF2 main book). The Rate of Fire is separate from Attacks per Melee (and may not overlap smoothly). Note: The argument could be made that this was changed in second edition to mean something else, but I have found no proof of this yet.

Eryk Stormbright wrote:And my next question is for a magical bow... this bow does not use normal arrows, instead when the player draws back the string, a magical arrow appears. would not having to reach into a quiver, grab another arrow, and knock it up their rate of fire to more than the standard 2 at level one, and if so.. by how many? right now the player has 7 attacks a round.

Well, that would be a G.M. call. I can think of a few ways to rule this.

1: The Rate of Fire remains the same. This is time for lining and adjusting a shot, not drawing the arrow. Sorry, no real advantage. Note: Not the way I'd rule it, probably ever.
2: Rate of Fire remains the same. But any attacks per melee (that exceed the rate of fire) may be used to move, dodge, etc. Note: Not a bad rule if these kind of things play a major role in the game.
3: Use ROF or adjusted APM, whichever is higher. Adjusted APM means Extra Attacks gained from additional limbs do not apply (I personally don't feel having 4 or 6 arms will aid in firing a bow faster), as well as some other sources (determined on a case by case basis). Attacks from Hand to Hand do apply. Boxing (unfortunately) I'd probably allow to apply as well. Note: This would be the one I'd most likely use.
4: Use ROF or APM, whichever is higher. Note: Similar to the above, but kept simple. Much easier for bookkeeping.

Anyways, just a few ideas (and a book reference for the first one). Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”