house rule, clever or not??

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

house rule, clever or not??

Unread post by mercedogre »

during the game, if a PC rolls 10% or lower on a skills check, that one skill automatically goes up a level ie adds the % per level normally added when reaching a new level. That skill will still get the usually increase on the next level also. Thought behind the idea is that the exceptional roll triggered some muscle memory or discovery of a profound technique. It can help a PC stand out as an expert in that specific skill/ability and may encourage skill roll playing in a heavy combat campaign.
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: house rule, clever or not??

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I would say 3% or lower, and only if that beats the total adjusted skill (penalties included) by more than 50%. I say it should be lower because 10% is like a 19-20 on a d20, it's a better rating than automatic success with critical damage, ya know?

If you want to keep it 10%, I suggest you make the increase only 1%, but allow it to go over skill cap for the purpose of overcoming penalties.

Having played quite a few games that went over 7th level, you end up with quite a few skills sty cap quickly. Gotta consider the long term when you make house rules.

I like the idea though, would love it if more GMs did stuff like that.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

maybe 5% then, that would be equal to a natural 20
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rolling under 3% and only going up by 'one skill level' once per level, max. would be how I would set the numbers, if I did that.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Rolling under 3% and only going up by 'one skill level' once per level, max. would be how I would set the numbers, if I did that.

Personally I would go with 1% on the dice since that is the closest equivalent of a Nat20 on a D20 when using Percent Dice. If the value is higher maybe require a string (3 or more) of consecutive rolls in the goldilocks zone.

I agree about the limitation here drew, I'd probably add some addition limitations:
-isn't accessible until a minimum character level (like say starting/after Level 5) since this would be a boon to higher level characters who generally have to wait a longer amount of time to level up.
-add a drawback of a natural 100/00-00 on the dice resulting a loss of skill as another balancing factor, if even only a temporary loss (because confidence is badly shaken, got facts really messed up, etc)
-maybe instead of making it a permanent level increase it should be a temporary bonus that would only apply for the next check/session/in-game-time-period so one does not have to "track" which skills have been effected each level.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

So the idea is that not only did they succeed while applying the skill, but they gained some new insight in the process.

I like the idea, but it's a step away from a level based system towards a points based system which, since the palladium system is a level based system, might cause some strangeness during play. But if it works for you, that's great!

One obvious effect of the rule is that skills that are used a lot will quickly max out.

One tweak I'd suggest is to make the increase a flat 1% increase and not allow a skill to increase more than once each day (give the new insight time to sink in). But you're still going to have characters with maxed out prowl and basic math very quickly.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

1% for a permanent skill increase otherwise it is like getting a permanent x2 to damage whenever you roll a 20 on a to hit roll. Sure it isn't double... but it is permanent and potentially more dangerous than any critical.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
malthos
D-Bee
Comment: "Kill one your a murderer, kill many your a conqueror, kill them all your a god.

Unread post by malthos »

See when i have someone roll a "crit" on their skill roles i just give them more ...critical information. Even if they get close to their target number and fail, ill still give them some info, not all because they failed. And the farther from their number the more vague or incorrect info i will give them, but said in a convincing manor so they take it as a success. But an increase to skill due to a roll can be exploited very easily. Oh i need to walk, skill roll "oh look a crit" gain in skill total, .."oh i need to breath" skill roll.....so on and so forth.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

malthos wrote:See when i have someone roll a "crit" on their skill roles i just give them more ...critical information. Even if they get close to their target number and fail, ill still give them some info, not all because they failed. And the farther from their number the more vague or incorrect info i will give them, but said in a convincing manor so they take it as a success. But an increase to skill due to a roll can be exploited very easily. Oh i need to walk, skill roll "oh look a crit" gain in skill total, .."oh i need to breath" skill roll.....so on and so forth.

For the win.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Duster
D-Bee
Comment: Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Unread post by Duster »

My rule on the matter is that when a PC rolls a "crit" (under 10% of the ADJUSTED skill percentage) on a skill roll they earn twice the usual XP's (50 instead of 25) for such a "decisive" use of the skill. I also do like malthos said and make the result of the skill more pronounced (more information, a better performance, higher quality, etc.).
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

I had tried a skill system that was a combination of the old Chaosium systems and newer RPGs like Skyrim, where use in a skill actively improved that skill. Once per session, if you used a skill it got a "tick" if it failed, success got it two and a "critical" got it three. When it got so many, it would automatically level up that skill. Once so many skills were leveled up (anyone familiar with Earthdawn?) the character leveled up, getting new HPs/ISP/PPE/whatever.

Worked okay in practice, but was a little "book-keepey"
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

malthos wrote:See when i have someone roll a "crit" on their skill roles i just give them more ...critical information. Even if they get close to their target number and fail, ill still give them some info, not all because they failed. And the farther from their number the more vague or incorrect info i will give them, but said in a convincing manor so they take it as a success. But an increase to skill due to a roll can be exploited very easily. Oh i need to walk, skill roll "oh look a crit" gain in skill total, .."oh i need to breath" skill roll.....so on and so forth.

I've usually got several players who are always trying to use skills, even when the roll itself is well beneath them. I've tried to teach the players that skill checks are only necessary when the GM calls for one, otherwise, its an automatic success.

As an example, I had a player who was about as basadd a pilot as one could get. He had nearly all the pilot skills that we were using and the primary ones were were using were maxed out. Undocking from port? Why would I call for a roll for such a simple task? He's a pilot with a decade of experience, this is something he's done thousands of times. But... Character asked to roll for it. I smiled my Evil GM Smile :twisted: , and said "Sure!" I proceeded to apply a penalty to the roll because this was an experimental, one of a kind, custom built, starship that he had never flown before and had no design input on, and this was a station he had never flown out of before, and he never did any kind of checking for "Pilot's Notes" anywhere he went. Needless to say, the skill penalty was unnecessary as he critically failed the roll. I made him roll for damage to the craft, then damage for the station. He wound up owing them 20,000 cr. all because he wanted to make a skill check for the 25 exp. Hasn't asked for a skill check since! :D (If he had just failed, no consequences. but they like playing with criticals, so we play with criticals...)

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey

Return to “G.M.s Forum”