Good Qualities

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Leo H
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Never attempt to reason with people who know they are right-Dune

Good Qualities

Unread post by Leo H »

What qualities as a GM do you think it takes to run Palladuim games? I've found that adaptability is a major quality I've needed to run games. I have players who are....unconventional and that quality comes in handy. I know that running the game can be difficult, kinda like trying to herd cats on catnip. What're your thoughts on the subject?
All knowledge comes at a price. Be sure it's a price you're willing to pay.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Good Qualities

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Leo H wrote:What qualities as a GM do you think it takes to run Palladuim games? I've found that adaptability is a major quality I've needed to run games. I have players who are....unconventional and that quality comes in handy. I know that running the game can be difficult, kinda like trying to herd cats on catnip. What're your thoughts on the subject?

The ability to select and ignore rules to focus on to give the game a consistant mechanical feeling. This is harder than it should be.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Good communication skills help a lot. You've got to be able to communicate rule interpretations clearly and persuasively with Palladium's games since they're frequently very flexible.

Clarity of vision is good to have too. Rifts in particular is so huge and diverse, it can be easy to dilute the game with too much information and weirdness. The more familiar with the setting the group is the less of an issue that can be, but it's still easy to get overwhelmed with layers of detail.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Consistency, ruthlessness, mercy.

If you can balance those three, you can GM rifts with the best of them.

I'd say creativity, but with the setting in place, it actually isn't necessary to be overly creative. Further, letting your creativity out can actually hurt. That isn't me saying don't explore and think for yourself. I'm just saying that in Rifts you don't need to for it to be fun.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Lots and lots of Flexibility to deal with situations that aren't covered in the rules and by the creative use of skills, spells and powers in ways there are not mentioned anywhere, not even on the boards. Also need clear effective communications skills so that you can make sure that all the various house rules in place are known and understood.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Mostly improvisation. Their systems arent as complete and streamlined as D&D. But the systems are also much more open and free. You just need a little more imagination. A quick imagination is even better.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”