Demo Characters and Races

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Demo Characters and Races

Unread post by Bill »

Prepping material for a con game, I'm curious whether it would be better to keep the racial weirdness down to a minimum or to really ratchet it up? On the one hand, I want to focus on mechanics and rules to maximize the teachable moments of the game. On the other, I want to be true to the setting and the game (Rifts); and to do that I think I ought to go as gonzo as possible. Thoughts?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Demo Characters and Races

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I suggest balancing a little. as in, if you have something monstrous, yet acceptable like a grackletooth, give him MDC clothing and a gas mask instead of full body armor. give the caster a fair range of buffing spells but also a decent damage TW device. make one of the squishies psychic, toss in a juicer or crazy and you're done.

or if course you can go high power, but, meh.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

If Ive got 6 PCs to write for players might throw in just one that is something out of the ordinary.

Reason: You never know who is playing and they may all be newbies. Even at the POH we have new players (friends or wags mainly).
The more you have to explain about a character the more time consuming it is and ergo usually less fun. KISSIE.
Keep
It
Simple.
Simple
Is
Effective.

In a one shot adventure its more about the game and the interaction than then character as its short.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

Bill wrote:Prepping material for a con game, I'm curious whether it would be better to keep the racial weirdness down to a minimum or to really ratchet it up? On the one hand, I want to focus on mechanics and rules to maximize the teachable moments of the game. On the other, I want to be true to the setting and the game (Rifts); and to do that I think I ought to go as gonzo as possible. Thoughts?

At first, my reaction was RUE core book, but after thinking about it, you might be onto something here. A LOT of the younger people are attracted to higher power / crazier the better games where you can be something really outlandish. I think they feel they can express themselves better with more options. If you are trying to attract a younger audience, you might want to go with some outlandish characters, I think it is a great idea for a con game.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

The Dark Elf is right about keeping it simple. For a convention game, you have either 4 hours or 6 hours for your slot. You don't have time to spend explaining too much stuff and certainly, characters have to be stripped down, fast and easy to explain and play. It's all about speed because those 4 hours fly by.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”