Board index » Across the Megaverse® » G.M.s Forum

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: NPCs how much detail?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:29 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 106
It is a simple question. Do you go through the effort to make a legitimate character or do you just wing it?
I do a little of both some major ones I flesh out completely and others not so much. So how do you guys run it?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:55 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 1648
Location: Reno, Nevada
I generate a list of names in advance and assign those names as I narrate the story. Keeps me from having a lot of Bobs and Janes. Occasionally, when I intend to use a character across multiple sessions, I'll make some notes regarding their appearance, motivations, and relationships.

_________________
Contact me if you're looking for games in Reno, Nevada.
Resources


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 140
I recycle old or dead pcs from previous game so there is lots of details. Also when another player throws away a character I ask if I can keep it to add to my flock. I tend to alter their appearance or personality from the original in either slight or very dramatic ways. But that is only the npcs that might become important to the pcs. Otherwise no I have data for Toby the gate attendant or Tyr the guy a pc might gun down or help across the street.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 pm
Posts: 282
For NPCs traveling with the party, I get around to statting them out and giving a backstory after the PCs start relying on them and I need to know what they can and can't do. For important NPCs, I tend to have a character concept down, a few abilities noted and that's about it. For unimportant NPCs, off the top of my head. Bites me in the rear too, when the PCs take an unimportant NPCs and say "Let's take her along!"


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:57 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:44 am
Posts: 3002
Location: Tech-City of Melbourne
NPC level of detail is directly proportionate to the importance of said NPC.

So the bartender will have a name and an OCC and a couple of details (i.e. a bionic arm and a face tattoo or some minor pyschic powers etc.)
The barfly has no details, except possibly a name, which I will likely make up on the spot.
The black market contact will have some basic combat stats just in case something goes bad.
The main bad guy is a fully realised character with almost all skills and stats worked out. His/her flunkies probably have all combat stats worked out.

_________________
Image
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:11 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 15060
Location: Eastvale, calif
Snow Hawk wrote:
It is a simple question. Do you go through the effort to make a legitimate character or do you just wing it?
I do a little of both some major ones I flesh out completely and others not so much. So how do you guys run it?

some where between wing'n it and writing the char up.....but no french novel type thing

_________________
Q's on this board need canon answers first for the question that was asked. Then you can post your own house rules listed as your house rules.
I say what the classes ARE even if the books mislabel them, so get over it.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:30 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 106
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Snow Hawk wrote:
It is a simple question. Do you go through the effort to make a legitimate character or do you just wing it?
I do a little of both some major ones I flesh out completely and others not so much. So how do you guys run it?

some where between wing'n it and writing the char up.....but no french novel type thing

No French novel type thing?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:53 pm
  

User avatar
Monk

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 15060
Location: Eastvale, calif
Where you write out the chars reasonings for the actions they take in extremely defined details.

The "prototypical" example is "writing three pages of text about why he ate the apple." sort of thing

_________________
Q's on this board need canon answers first for the question that was asked. Then you can post your own house rules listed as your house rules.
I say what the classes ARE even if the books mislabel them, so get over it.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:53 am
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 106
Ok thank you for the clarification. I might do that from time to time, not intentionally I some times just get carried away.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:01 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:29 am
Posts: 5
Comment: Do you seriously want to do that? Are you sure?
You know I never can tell. I've had detailed, worked up NPCs the group just blew by and they end up recycled down the road. And some of my all time favorite NPCs the players have known and loved for years started as a random, pulled out of thing air NPC I totally winged and they just clicked. I have binders full of worked up characters and charts of stats and sometimes I still just pull the old "Well this guy is +2 to strike, +4 parry/doge" and just go with a random personality that I hope is entertaining. Before you know it, I'm rolling 'em up because they're reoccurring every game.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 106
GM Jay wrote:
You know I never can tell. I've had detailed, worked up NPCs the group just blew by and they end up recycled down the road. And some of my all time favorite NPCs the players have known and loved for years started as a random, pulled out of thing air NPC I totally winged and they just clicked. I have binders full of worked up characters and charts of stats and sometimes I still just pull the old "Well this guy is +2 to strike, +4 parry/doge" and just go with a random personality that I hope is entertaining. Before you know it, I'm rolling 'em up because they're reoccurring every game.

This happens a lot for me aswell.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:35 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:36 pm
Posts: 250
for random goons / troops I generally use a base template and don't go into much detail. I keep a number of text docs with a basic type on my pc and just print them off as needed, so a basic CS trooper will have the same stats for simplicity, like a Skelebot has the same stats all the time.
For a major villain etc I'll take the time to give more filler to the stat sheet.

_________________
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group