Omega 13 and Time travel complications

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Omega 13 and Time travel complications

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

I have a game where my players will encounter a ship with an omega 13 style device (galaxy quest reference). My version will be able to rewind time for everything but the ship. So if the ship goes into combat takes damage and then rewinds the damage is still there. Like wise everyone on the ship remembers what happened while everyone off the ship is reset.

Now for the complication I am trying to think through. What if someone is on the ship at the start point, gets off, and then the ship rewinds. Do they get rewound from where they were to back on the ship? Are they forever lost on a "branch" of timetravel?

Same thing with the inversion. Some one is off the ship, then boards it, then the ship rewinds. The copy on the ship would logically remain there, but what about the originally copy? Would it exist permanently creating two of the same creature? Would it exist only for the time delta until the rewound occurred (ie i'm my fighter at noon, i land inside the ship at 12:15, the ship rewinds at 12:20 back to noon so my old self would last for 20 minutes?)

My goal is to create something vaguely logical, can be consistently applied, and not go crazy dismantling or infinitely multiplying the party.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Omega 13 and Time travel complications

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

If the ship doesn't repair, then neither would the crew.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

kamikazzijoe wrote:I have a game where my players will encounter a ship with an omega 13 style device (galaxy quest reference). My version will be able to rewind time for everything but the ship. So if the ship goes into combat takes damage and then rewinds the damage is still there. Like wise everyone on the ship remembers what happened while everyone off the ship is reset.

Now for the complication I am trying to think through. What if someone is on the ship at the start point, gets off, and then the ship rewinds. Do they get rewound from where they were to back on the ship? Are they forever lost on a "branch" of timetravel?

Since they weren't on the ship when time was re-wound, their personal timeline is reset and they appear back on the ship but with no memory of future events. To them, this is the "first" time they went through these actions and they might think everyone else is crazy. Also, if the ship damage doesn't get reset, to them the ship will have been "instantly" damaged, as well as the people who were on board.

kamikazzijoe wrote:Same thing with the inversion. Some one is off the ship, then boards it, then the ship rewinds. The copy on the ship would logically remain there, but what about the originally copy? Would it exist permanently creating two of the same creature? Would it exist only for the time delta until the rewound occurred (ie i'm my fighter at noon, i land inside the ship at 12:15, the ship rewinds at 12:20 back to noon so my old self would last for 20 minutes?)

I don't follow that logic. Instead, consider this: The person who was originally NOT on the ship but then boarded the ship and was included in the time reset, would find themselves in the place they were when they were not on the ship - BUT, they will have retained their memories. So if this is a villain/enemy, they will know what happened even though no-one else around them will.

kamikazzijoe wrote:My goal is to create something vaguely logical, can be consistently applied, and not go crazy dismantling or infinitely multiplying the party.

I believe what I posted in response to you maintains the logic you're looking for. I hope that works out.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Just don't include time travel in your game as the Vulcan Science Council has stated it is impossible!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

glitstam's point about showing back up where they started is a good one. perfect example is Stargate SG1's Window of Opportunity episode. T'ealc and O'neil end up in a time loop (groundhogs day style) where events keep recurring, but they remember everything. even if they end the looped period on another world, they reappear back where they started the day each time.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “G.M.s Forum”