Is it weird I want to watch you game?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Is it weird I want to watch you game?

Unread post by McFacemelt »

I got introduced to Palladium about two years ago when some friends came across some books and asked if I would be interested in playing. After some time, our GM got burnt out and I offered to take it up. Surprisingly with no experience on my part everyone enjoyed the games, and made me official GM. After all this time though, I feel like my games are lacking. The only thing I have to compare my games to are to those of a GM who swears I am 100 times better at it than he is.

I have searched the internet of Rifts videos, most of which end up for that awful excuse of a video game. But the ones that are for the Rifts that we love, are usually not videos of games at all. Is it weird I want to watch you game? I don't know why, but even I'm a little weirded out when I put it like that. Anyways, while normally I would seek out a game of Rifts somewhere near by and try to find out what it is I am missing or doing wrong, where I live Rifts is a pretty dead game. It also doesn't help I live in a state that has fewer people in it than most large cities, but its home.

I am all for being a GM, I am all for trying to introduce new people to the game. One of my players is a gaming shop owner who wants me to try and start raising some interests at his shop. But until I know what a truly epic game of Rifts can be, or just a game of Rifts run by someone other than myself, I never know what to strive for. I would love to go to the open house next year, as it seems about the only chance I would get to see the game at its best. But the reality is I work and go to college full time with a kid on the way later this year, there is zero chance of me making it there.

I'm not even sure watching a video of people game would help, but since playing a game isn't exactly an option I don't know what else to do.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Is it weird I want to watch you game?

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I don't have any video recordings of my games, and I really don't like Rifts. However, I do run games in chats and others do as well. You can try to sync up with some in the Palladium Chat system to watch one live.

Other options include checking out some message board games. Or you can even check out my site ( http://www.prysus.com ) where I have some of my old game logs. As logs, you can start and stop any time you need, or even skip parts you find boring.

Note: I will not say if I'm a good or bad G.M., merely presenting the option.

If you check out my site, as I said I don't run Rifts, my recommendations would be in the Sci-Fi section. Zach (mini) is a short game so won't require lots of time to go through. More Phase World based. Terra Final Enclave V is a bit longer, but still short. Takes place in a video game (post apocalyptic, but with a Final Fantasy video game inspiration). Being part of a video game makes it a bit weird and at times restrictive, but was fun. And Those With Dreams is incomplete and very long, but often one of my most epic (at the end the story started to meander some).

Anyways, hope that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

See if you can sit in on some chat rooms or video conferencing sites. If you're not disruptive, I find that a lot of groups don't mind.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

A good GM is a good GM. You need to get involved in local RPGs at a FLGS or convention where you can experience various GMs of any RPG whatsoever and see what they do. A good GM can transfer his skills to whatever game they enjoy.

Also, ask LOTS of questions on this forum and the Rifts forum.

As for the Open House, don't miss it. Start saving your pennies. Stop drinking soda, cut useless expenses, do whatever you can to put cash aside and convince a couple of friends to roadtrip to the OH with you. In the OH forum, you will find a thread about making the OH cheaper.

If you want to become a better Rifts GM, there won't be any better training than deep immersion at the OH and the hotel where you live, eat, breathe Rifts with various GMs and freelancers for 4 days.

I'm a highly experienced, highly regarded GM and I learned LOTS at the OH. I'm excited about going to more OHs because its incredible fun and I learn great stuff.

Get thee to the Open House!
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Here's the thread on making the Open House cheaper to attend
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=100873
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

It doesn't have to be Rifts, it could really be any Palladium game. I own core books for all of Palladium's games with the exception of Nightbane and Robotech. Rifts is simply what we usually play, and what most of my collection currently consists of.

Also money isn't the issue for the open house Spinachcat, it's timing. I work, will have a 6 month old at that time, and will at the time of the open house be in the middle of finals.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Hit youtube their are a few games running on there. Try SpiffySquee s channel games fun to listen too and the guys not a bad GM.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”