My personal RIFTS/Palladium Fantasy modified system

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eashamahel
Hero

My personal RIFTS/Palladium Fantasy modified system

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Eashamahel wrote:Going to start recording this here, apologies as it's going to be a bit of a mess as it takes me a little while to get it all together. Basically it's my expanded/modified RIFTS system.

I absolutely LOVE the original RIFTS game, to me it's amazing, and my changes have less to do with changing the whole system and more to do with just trying to get the basic stuff to work a little better.

Feel free to leave any comments, I'll put a better write up here later.

Modern Weapons
The following is my modified system for modern weapons, specifically the Aimed, Burst and Wild system and how it works with Energy Weapons. In it, I am trying to stick as close as possible to the original concept which i loved so much (when I finally learned to understand it).

Introduction:
Spoiler:
Basically, the problem I encountered in the system was the use of the line "Rate of Fire: Standard" for ALL high tech weapons, without any real explanation as to what that is, explanation that is done for current style guns, but not high tech or energy weapons. For example, a revolver with "Rate of Fire:Standard" would be easy to understand, as it has the standard rate of fire for a revolver, and the same would be true of an automatic pistol and an Uzi. Although they all have the 'standard' rate of fire, that standard is different for their different types.

Energy weapons break down here in the early system because there IS NO distinction between types, unlike with modern weapons which have WP Revolver, WP Automatic Pistol and WP Sub-Machinegun to let you know what the "Standard" firing style for that weapon is. Imagine what the game would be like if a revolver and an Uzi were both part of "WP-Conventional Pistol", and both had 'Rate of Fire: Standard". It would be impossible to make that system work properly, either revolvers would be firing on full auto (which is basically how the original RIFTS was often run), or everything would just be limited to one shot per attack (which is how the game was changed eventually, as it is in the Ultimate Edition).

After establishing that this was an area of confusion, there were two options. One would be introducing WP Energy Weapon classes the same as Conventional Weapons, as currently the E-Weapons contain all of these:

WP Energy Pistol - WP Revolver
- WP Automatic Pistol
- WP Sub Machinegun
WP Energy Rifle - WP Bolt Action Rifle
- WP Automatic and Semi-Automatic Rifle
- WP Sub Machinegun

This would pretty much solve the issue, but would require EVERY SINGLE GUN in the game to be figured into one of these categories. To do this either I would have to multiply the number of WPs already in the game and assign each weapon to one, or instead (the option I've chosen) create a few guidelines to decide where these guns fit and thus what it's 'Standard' rate of fire is. Obviously these are guidelines, so when new weapons are introduced you've just got to talk it over with your Gm if it's unclear.

Weapon Type Guidelines for Energy Weapons:
Spoiler:
-A pistol is a Semi-Automatic unless it says or indicates otherwise. If a pistol contains 20 or more rounds, it is Fully Automatic.

-A rifle is automatic unless it says or indicates otherwise. If a rifle contains 10 rounds it's probably semi-automatic. If a rifle is 'Single Shot', as in each pull of the trigger is a single shot, it is semi-automatic.

-A weapon with 1 round or that clearly has to be 'pumped' in between is a non-automatic weapon.

-Particle Beam and Plasma weapons are almost NEVER fully automatic

Additionally, the Burst rules would have to be cleaned up, they don't need to be precise, they just need to be fun and easy to follow, and to stick with the original concept. Presented here are my cleaned up Burst rules, combining the RMB and Conversion book numbers. I've opted to remove the 2 attack Full Clip burst, as the same thing can be accomplished by using two attacks to fire two half clip bursts, with absolutely no downside and by doing so remove several potential problems. Also note that the 'automatic' and 'semi-automatic' naming doesn't necessarily refer to the mechanism by which the energy weapon works, but is helpful way to think of them for the system.

Modified Burst Rules:
Spoiler:
Bursts from Automatic or Submachine style Energy Weapons (Automatic rifle, Automatic pistol and Submachinegun type energy weapons)
By keeping the trigger depressed, weapons of this type are able to fire off a great number of shots in a very short time, often an entire clip in a second or two. Still, characters may have to pause for split seconds to adjust their aim, or follow targets as they move.

Short Burts - fires 25% of the Magazine. Damage: Normal Damage for ONE round x2/x3. Uses up one attack
Long Burst - fires 50% of the Magazine. Damage: Normal Damage for one round x3/x5. Uses up one attack
Weapons with thirty rounds/extended magazines use the second multiplyer. Some very few Automatic and semi-automatic style weapons will have fewer than 20 rounds (generally 10). If this is the case, then the weapon can fire Short Bursts, which instead use up 50% of the ammunition, or long burst, which use up 100% of the ammunition.

Bursts from Semi Automatic Energy Weapons (Semi automatic rifle, revolver type weapons)
Each pull of the trigger for these weapons fires another round. It is still possible to fire a great number of rounds in a few seconds, but not as quickly as with a fully automatic weapon. Semi-Automatic Weapons may only fire Short Bursts.
This isn't to say a semi-auto weapon can't keep firing, but in the same way that I've eliminated Full Clip bursts as players can simply fire two long bursts for the same effect, players with semi-auto weapons can continue firing short bursts each attack instead of firing long bursts would take longer due to the extra manual component and thus use up multiple attacks.

Bursts from non-Automatic Energy Weapons (Bolt action rifle, pump action shotgun, ect)
These weapons require a manual re-cocking before another round can be fired. Still, it is possible for a trained individual to see an impressive rate of fire with such a weapon. Non-Automatic weapons such as these fire one round/attack.

Examples of Use:

So, how does this all work out? Here are some examples:

C-18 vs Wilks 320
Spoiler:
Originally a CS soldier with an C-18 Laser Pistol (10 shots) could fire 2 shots and do x2 damage, half of his clip and do one rounds damage x5, or or spend two attacks and do x10 (perfect burst accuracy). This was a bit silly as a Wilks Laser Pistol with it's 20 shots and better accuracy somehow could fire 2x the number of shots and get half the hits. What happens with those two under this system?

Well, the C-18 is a Pistol, and since it's not indicated otherwise is a semi-automatic weapon (and one with less than 20 rounds, 10 to be exact). This means that where before it could fire 2 rounds and get 2 hits, 5 rounds and get 5 hits, and 10 rounds and get 10 hits (in two attacks) it can NOW fire 5 shots (50% of the clip for firing short bursts) and get 2 hits and will take 2 attacks to empty it's magazine.

The Wilks 320 is a Pistol, as it has 20 shots, it's going to be an 'automatic' style weapon (and uses the normal % per attack, unlike the 10 shot c-18). This means that where before it could fire 4 rounds and get 2 hits, 10 rounds and get 5 hits, and 20 rounds and get 10 hits (in two attacks), it can NOW fire 5 shots and get 2 hits on a short burst or 10 shots and get 3 hits on a long burst. It's accuracy (hits/shots) is greater if it sticks to short bursts of course, as I feel it should be.

JA-11 (with a Short Clip and the Cannister)
Spoiler:
The JA-11 is a laser and ion gun, it is a rifle. The laser is clearly labelled as not being able to fire bursts (works like a Bolt Action Rifle). The Ion Rifle get's the 'standard' rate of fire, and effectively has two clips, one of 10 shots, and one of 30. This means it's going to fire the 10 shot clip like a semi-automatic, and it's 30 shot clip like a fully automatic. (stick with me if this sounds confusing)

Originally, this would mean that the Ion could fire (in the 10 shot clip) 2 shots and get 2 hits, 5 shots and get 5 hits, and 10 shots and get 10 hits (two attacks) giving it perfect burst accuracy or (using the 30 shot clip) 6 shots and get 2 hits, 15 shots and get 5 hits, or 30 shots and get 10 hits (two attacks).

NOW it can fire (with it's short clip) 5 shots and get two hits (short burst using up 50% of the ammo) or 10 shots and get 3 hits (long burst using up 100% of the ammo) or (with it's long clip) 7 shots and get 3 hits, 15 shots and get 5 hits, and in two attacks can empty it's clip, getting 30 shots and 10 hits. A consistent 1/3 or so hits, regardless of the number of shots fired.

Attributes and Bonuses

The following is my modified attribute system. It's relatively simple and just works on the idea that there is a better way than having previously eight or nine numbers (originally 14...) being pointless in a system that (generally) uses fifteen to determine how good someone is at something.

Intoduction:
Spoiler:
Generally speaking, characters with six points different in an attribute should be noticeably different in a meaningful way. A character that has a six point advantage in PS, for example (one character with a 9, another with a 15) is clearly stonger, but in the current system, that same difference means nothing when applied to IQ, ME, MA, PP, PB.

Since the system has extended the range of bonuses to include more of the numbers, it's not necessary to have an artificial 'bonus point' providing extra dice to certain rolls. This also removes any confusion about whether characters with attributes different than the standard 3D6 (like 3D6+2 get a bonus dice on a 16+ (before or after the +2?)) get a bonus dice, and where it happens (on a 12 for 2D6, but not in RIFTS? What about 4D6?). The key is that it changes the basic system from dividing people into the category of 'most are average' or 'the exceptional few' and instead uses incremental differences.

Most of these differences have only minor game changing effects.

-PP for instance sees no mechanical difference between a character with an 12-15 vs a character with a 16+ attribute to the current system, but does create a difference between 12 AND 15, and between 10 and 12.

-PE and ME see their bonuses to savings throws vs Magic/Psionics mostly unchanged, with 14-15 now gaining a bonus, but 20 (and even numbers beyond that) seeing their bonus reduced by 1.

-Some stats now have bonuses connected to them that were previously either unconnected to any attributes (like the bonus to Strike with ranged attacks being connected to ME as well as the bonus to save vs "pain") or not talked about often, and others have mechanics connected to them now that are non-bonus based (as PE was to physical endurance, so ME is now to mental endurance).

-I've also very briefly given an explanation for PB/MA and ways to use them. This would be expanded upon, but I just crammed it in there in the attribute section for now.

Rolling Attributes-
Spoiler:
All players start by rolling the eight attributes for their race (or using another system, such as rolling eight sets of 3D6 and applying them as they choose and then modifying them as appropriate for the race, or applying a set of numbers to their attributes, ect. Other creation systems work equally well but are not going to be detailed here).

It is important to note that the ‘additional dice’ for rolling over or equal/over 12/16/ect for various stats has been cut out. With attributes mattering at the 12+ point, there is no need to extend the rolls artificially with extra dice.

Each level after the first, characters gain one point which they can put into any attribute they choose. This can of course immediately alter the bonuses to a given stat and is the first thing that should be done when a character goes up a level.

Attribute Requirements:
Spoiler:
Some OCCs have attribute requirements. With attributes mattering at the 12 point, these requirements make a lot more sense (previously any requirement between 9-15 had no game effect and there was absolutely no mechanical reason for them). If an OCC has Attribute Requirements and you are using a random-roll attribute generation system, simply bump up the attribute so that it meets the requirement. If you are using a system where you place your attributes, then to select that OCC the player must place numbers meeting those requirements in each attribute.

The Attributes:
Spoiler:
IQ- High IQ adds a one time bonus to starting skill percentages (including skills selected after character creation). The second line indicates how often the character may learn an additional Secondary Skill, starting with being able to learn one skill every few levels (for example, 1/5 would mean every 5th level, so at levels 5, 10, 15). If a characters IQ changes throughout the game, use this new number to indicate the next level the character may learn a skill, but do not alter the number already selected (for example, a character who learned one new Secondary Skill every 5 levels (1/5) and was level 7 would know 1 additional Secondary Skills and would gain another at level 10. If that characters IQ were raised to allow them to learn a new skill every 4 levels (1/4) then the next level he would learn a skill would be changed to 8.
Characters with very low IQ’s have a penalty applied to their number of Secondary and Related Skills at the time of character creation.

ME- The first line indicates the number added as a bonus to save versus Psychic attacks and Insanity/Pain and any other effects that attack the mind or disrupt concentration (such as another character using their MA or PB to attempt to influence them). The second is the added bonus to strike with ranged weapons (concentration on aiming, timing, focus). The ME number also represents how many hours a character can stay awake before suffering from Exhaustion.

MA- MA represents the chance of a character to invoke trust in another person (if friendly) or intimidate another (if unfriendly to each other). Players may announce their intention to do so and then roll percentile dice or the GM may do so on their behalf when they feel it is appropriate. A success indicates they have influenced the other character, for example a successful roll may mean you have 'bluffed' an opponent in a game of cards, or the character doing the bluffing may apply half of their % to a relevant skill roll (Cardsharp). In the case of very low stats, this may apply a negative to the characters own relevant skill rolls.
NEW-combat section removed, was unnecessary and complicated

PS- This is the bonus to damage the character adds to their hand to hand attacks or a negative for a very low strength score.

PP- This bonus is added to the characters Strike/Parry/Dodge rolls or a negative to those rolls for a very low attribute.

PE- The first number indicates the % bonus a character gains to survive Coma/Death, the second their bonus to save vs Poison/Disease/Gas and other effects that attack the body, and the third is the characters bonus to save vs Magic spells and rituals. In all instances a very low attribute inflicts a negative on this characters rolls.

PB- This represents the characters chance to Charm or Impress another person. Players may announce their intentions to do so, or the GM may roll whenever it becomes relevant. This roll may be influenced by many factors, and may not be appropriate in some situations at the GMs discretion, but should apply more often than not. Although a character may not find another being attractive, they may still appreciate their physical form, poise, ect in the same way that one may appreciate the beauty in a tree. If successful the character may apply half of their % to a relevant skill roll, and may receive other benefits such as a discount on the cost of items or services within reason. Very low attributes may see the opposite occur.

Spd- This is a measurement of the characters running speed.

Attribute Bonus Table
Spoiler:
Attribute Bonus Chart- High numbers offer bonuses to a character’s rolls. Extremely low stats give negatives to those exact same rolls. A character with no number in a certain attribute is unable to perform anything connected to that attribute, but may receive bonuses from other sources. (This doesn't show up perfectly, as it's copied from another document, but isn't that difficult to read.)

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
IQ- NA -50% -40% -35% -30% -25% -20% -15% -10% -5% +0% +0%
NA NA NA NA -4 -3 -2 -2 -1 -1 0 0
ME- NA -10 -5 -4 -3 -2 -2 -1 -1 -1 +0 +0
NA -5 -4 -3 -3 -2 -2 -1 -1 -1 +0 +0
MA- NA -50% -45% -40% -35% -30% -25% -20% -15% -10% 0% 0%
PS- NA -9 -8 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 +0 +0
PP- NA -15 -10 -5 -4 -3 -2 -2 -1 -1 +0 +0
PE- +4% -60% -50% -40% -30% -24% -20% -16% -12% -8% -4% +0%
NA -15 -10 -5 -4 -3 -2 -2 -1 -1 +0 +0
NA -15 -10 -5 -4 -3 -2 -2 -1 -1 +0 +0
PB- NA% -50% -45% -40% -35% -30% -25% -20% -15% -10% 0% 0%
Spd- No special bonus

12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
IQ-+5% +6% +7% +8% +9% +10%+11%+12%+13%+14%+15%+16%
1/5 1/5 1/4 1/4 1/3 1/3 1/2 1/2 1 1 1 2
ME- +1 +1 +1 +2 +2 +2 +3 +3 +4 +4 +5 +5
+0 +0 +1 +1 +1 +1 +2 +2 +2 +3 +3 +4
MA- 10% 15% 20% 25% 30% 35% 40% 45% 50% 55% 60% 65%
PS- +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +10 +11 +12
PP- +1 +1 +1 +2 +2 +2 +3 +3 +4 +4 +5 +5
PE- +4% +8% +12% +16% +20% +24% +28% +32% +36% +40% +44% +48%
+1 +1 +2 +2 +3 +3 +4 +4 +5 +5 +6 +6
+0 +0 +1 +1 +1 +1 +2 +2 +2 +3 +3 +4
PB- 10% 15% 20% 25% 30% 35% 40% 45% 50% 55% 60% 65%
Spd- No special bonus

24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
IQ- +17% +18% +19% +20% +21% +22% +23% +25% +30% +35% +40% +50%
2 2 3 3 3 4 4 5 6 7 8 10
ME- +6 +6 +7 +7 +8 +8 +9 +10 +11 +12 +13 +14
+4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +10 +11 +12 +13 +14 +15
MA- 70% 75% 80% 85% 90% 95% 98% 98/45% 98/50% 98/55% 98/60% 98/65%
PS- +13 +14 +15 +16 +17 +18 +19 +20 +21 +22 +23 +24
PP- +6 +6 +7 +7 +8 +8 +9 +10 +11 +12 +13 +14
PE- +52% +56% +60% +64% +68% +72% +76% +80% +84% +88% +92% +96%
+7 +7 +8 +8 +9 +9 +10 +11 +12 +13 +14 +15
+4 +5 +5 +6 +6 +7 +7 +8 +9 +10 +11 +12
PB- 70% 75% 80% 85% 90% 95% 98% 98/45% 98/50% 98/55% 98/60% 98/65%
Spd- No special bonus

(Note that the second number for MA and PB represents that characters with those stats may attempt to try again with their rolls, using the second number)
Last edited by Eashamahel on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Eashamahel
Hero

Re: My personal RIFTS/Palladium Fantasy modified system

I'll keep adding to this as I get my notes in order, and when I expand it out it will hopefully make more sense. On other sites I've seen a lot of talk about how people change RIFTS rules or what they would do if they re-wrote them, ect., and I thought I'd record mine here so that I can direct others to them.

Anyways, even if this is just more for me/reference, everyone should feel free to comment or criticize, share your views, ect.
Eashamahel
Hero

Added Spoiler tags which should hopefully make navigating this a lot easier, so that the original post isn't so daunting, as well as put up my Modern Weapons burst rules. They are pretty much the same as was originally in the RIFTS system, but hopefully with the kinks worked out.

Edit, threw in some examples of the modern weapons rules being used. One of a C-18 being compared with a Wilks pistol, and one of a JA-11.

Going to take a break as I'm starting to make mistakes trying to get this all together.
Last edited by Eashamahel on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eashamahel
Hero

Reserved.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”