Sixth Sense vs. Non-lethal gas attacks

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Re: Sixth Sense vs. Non-lethal gas attacks

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Grug wrote:I can completely agree to disagree, mr. Madman :)
Glad to see people are still willing to do that around here!

I will admit that I'm taking a lot of liberties regarding how the rule is written. Hence why I can see your veiw as the 'right' view and mine as being wonky.

I just feel there's too much text in the sixth sense description if it only applies to life or death causes just say that lol. First they say danger, then when they say when life is in great peril which is another word for risk and vulnerable and finally the life threatening absolute statment. And as the good man Prysus said anything as simple as getting into the bath or walking in the rain could be life threatening.
So in the end when I gm, if the attack against the player/npc would require a saving throw (including parry/dodge, minus horror factor) sixth sense would go off.
But hey I'm weird and not a rules heavy type of gm. Last session for example, the players are in the land of the damned one of the players is kind of new to this campaign and is still trying to flush out his character a little more, a minotaur barbarian.
To keep this short and not derail your thread too much I will give you the abridged version. The group has to destroy Slaughter rock in the darkest heart and whip them into a blood frenzy. So another character (air/earth warlock) uses the sculpt and animate creature spell, to create a construct with body of a tusker and a drill like head. The minotaur makes it his mount and rides into the werebeast horde to try and save another player and then rolls 5 natural 20s in a row. It was crazy fun to gm, and later that night I asked the warlock player if he would be willing to lose some ppe permanently to make the tusker mount permanent for the other player who had a blast on back of it and named it already. Of course the warlock said yes. Cause it's what role-playing is all about having fun with friends!

Sorry about the long off topic rant... /blush.

No, it's cool, that's an awesome story. The truth is I have no problem bending the rules in my game to keep things light and fun for everyone. That's in game. When people are talking about the nature of a rule, that's when my Asperger's kicks in and I start getting literal.

It's all good. At least here. The game on the other hand is taking some terrible turns as one of the primary players has essentially dropped out to join a cult and the other primary is refusing to host at his house anymore. However, this planned scenario is tailor made for dropping characters, as after the short intro where the gas happens is over, it will be "You wake up from cryo-sleep..." so I can just have the other missing players characters in cryo somewhere else.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

wait, a cult, like IRL? bummer...
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
MADMANMIKE

Alrik Vas wrote:wait, a cult, like IRL? bummer...

He spent quite a bit of time with them a few years ago, and I actually met some of them a couple of times when he bought them Schwan's food from me, but yeah. He's only available to game once in the next month because he has a busy schedule of traveling around the country to "meet with his fellow Christians and to preach against sin at gay-pride parades".

Everyone in our gaming group is a Christian and even the least tolerant of homosexuality in the group is scratching his head over this. I suspect it's a case of "thou doth protest too much", but it's only a piece of the puzzle.
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I have lots of Lgbt friends. I have lots of Viking friends. Lots of wiccan and pagans. Several Jehovah witness peeps. But zero ignant bigot Christian friends. Imigine that.
MADMANMIKE

say652 wrote:I have lots of Lgbt friends. I have lots of Viking friends. Lots of wiccan and pagans. Several Jehovah witness peeps. But zero ignant bigot Christian friends. Imigine that.

That's just it, say652, you can't be an ignorant bigot and a Christian. It's entirely against Christ's teachings to be an ignorant bigot.

As I predicted, the group stepped off the ship into the passageway and were told to wait for decontamination, none of them made their saving throw vs. non-lethal toxins and they all went to sleep. A new character joined the group, a pirate, and his back story was that he was screwed over by the other pirates, so he ended up in cryo with the group. When the accountant NPC who was supposed to be their contact on the station managed to escape the pirates and sneak down to the storage level where they were to free them, they all set about freeing the station.

Mature adults, nobody complained, everyone was cool with it. When they made their way up to the dry-docks and found their ship was almost completely upgraded the mechanic was ecstatic and set about finishing the upgrades. All's good.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Good stuff. I guess I feel a certain kinda way about discrimination. But in the end "Thays just my opinion man"Sorry for the minor derailment.

Now back to the unifying factor. So the team was sleep gased and cry-dozed but, for how long??
What of the SS Pos? I guess I'll have to stay tuned to find out.
The next exciting adventure of M.M.M Aluens unlinited saga.....
MADMANMIKE

say652 wrote:Good stuff. I guess I feel a certain kinda way about discrimination. But in the end "Thays just my opinion man"Sorry for the minor derailment.

Now back to the unifying factor. So the team was sleep gased and cry-dozed but, for how long??
What of the SS Pos? I guess I'll have to stay tuned to find out.
The next exciting adventure of M.M.M Aluens unlinited saga.....

Once I recover from having just mowed the lawn, I'm going to write it up for the thread on the Heroes Unlimited forum.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I know I just did two miles in 100 degree weather. I'm dying. I'm dying. Lol
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Just initiate the "attack" 95+ feet away from the targets and Sixth Sense doesn't matter.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
MADMANMIKE

SpiritInterface wrote:Just initiate the "attack" 95+ feet away from the targets and Sixth Sense doesn't matter.

We've already established by the text of the power that non-lethal gas doesn't set it off, and I explained two posts ago that my plan already worked in game.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:Just initiate the "attack" 95+ feet away from the targets and Sixth Sense doesn't matter.

We've already established by the text of the power that non-lethal gas doesn't set it off, and I explained two posts ago that my plan already worked in game.

Yeah SpiritInterface what were you thinking posting in this thread!?!? How dare you offer anything after the OP has already made up his mind and said so. Jeesh, some people. (Just so you know that was sarcasm directed towards MMM needlessly telling you off.)

MMM, Bad form old chap, bad form. :nh:

Warning: User warned for baiting/trolling another forum user. - NMI
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

The rule should have been writing only one of two ways.

1: Sixth Sense is triggered by any type of attack/event that places the player or their friends, etc... In danger.

2: Sixth Sense is only triggered by a life or death situation involving the player, friends etc.

The only line in the written rule we can use is, ' The sixth sense is only triggered by an unexpected, life threatening event...'

Guess what though, anything and I mean anything can be considered life threatening. Taking a shower, eating food, taking a walk, getting punched in the stomach, driving a car, working on the roof, etc... so even being knocked unconscious could be life threatening. The only reason we knew it wasn't is cause god/the gm said it wasn't. But take out knowing what will happen and guess what it could be life threatening...

Yes this is taking the written text to the extreme, and there in lies the problem. It can be taken that way, because a threat is not an absolute. So there is no proof it will put the characters life in danger cause it's a threat...

Trust me though i can see and understand why it shouldn't go off. But please stop saying there is a wrong and right answer to this power. It's gm discretion on what's perceived as a life threatening situation.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Grug wrote:

The only line in the written rule we can use is, ' The sixth sense is only triggered by an unexpected, life threatening event...
Why is this the ONLY line that we can use? There is a whole paragraph there that repeatedly mentions "...life threatening..." (which by the way specifically is referring back to the more vague "danger" referred to in the beginning of the paragraph), "...his life is in great peril or the life of somebody he greatly cares about..." and then the one you said is the ONLY one that matters "...sixth sense is only triggered by an unexpected, life threatening event" of which unexpected and life threatening are in italics for emphasis.

For Palladium this is about as clear and concise as they can make it! They reiterate several times that danger to life MUST be involved to set it off. And further clarify that it must be an unexpected threat to life that will occur in the next 60 seconds. So being dragged in front of a firing squad is not gonna set it off no matter how life threatening it is since you know of the danger with your normal 5 senses. Remember this is a precognitive ability, its a very limited ability to see into the future and perceive unexpected, life threatening danger. The GM is the one that knows the future so he must be trusted to say when SS goes off.

Guess what though, anything and I mean anything can be considered life threatening. Taking a shower,
Nope. Falling in the shower would be an unexpected, life threatening event and SS would go off if that is about to happen. Otherwise a shower is NOT life threatening.
eating food,
Nope. Choaking on the food or eating poisoned food would be an unexpected, life threatening event and SS would go off if that is about to happen. Otherwise eating is not very life threatening.
taking a walk,
Nope. Getting hit by a bus, falling off a cliff, getting shot by a stray bullet in a drive by would be an unexpected, life threatening events and SS would go off if something like those were about to happen. Otherwise walking along minding your own business is not an unexpected life threatening event.
getting punched in the stomach,
Nope. Well at least not usually anyhow. A gut punch is not gonna threaten your life 99.99% of the time. Just because Houdini died from one does not mean that it is a routinely life threatening event. Now IF said punch was going to rupture your spleen then it would be an unexpected, life threatening event and SS would go off if that is about to happen. Otherwise fisticuffs to the midsection is probably not gonna kill ya. This would be a hard one for the GM to rule on I think because if the dude punching crits and does max damage its possible it could threaten the life of the person with 6th sense but the GM wont know what the rolls are until they are made and so couldnt guess that what is 99.99% of the time just a "knock the wind out of you blow" now turned into a potential deathblow.
driving a car,
Nope. Getting in an accident while driving would be an unexpected, life threatening event and SS would go off if that is about to happen. Otherwise driving (and not having an accident) is safe and people rarely (I wont say never because IDK that somebody hasn't) die just from driving...
working on the roof,
Nope. Falling from the roof would be an unexpected, life threatening event and SS would go off if that is about to happen. Otherwise just working on the roof is safe.

etc... so even being knocked unconscious could be life threatening. The only reason we knew it wasn't is cause god/the gm said it wasn't. But take out knowing what will happen and guess what it could be life threatening...
Nope, because 6th sense is a limited future sight so it (through the foreknowledge of the GM) can see that being knocked out by the KO gas (or any of the above everyday events you listed) is not going to be life threatening in the next 60 seconds.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Thinyser wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:

Yeah SpiritInterface what were you thinking posting in this thread!?!? How dare you offer anything after the OP has already made up his mind and said so. Jeesh, some people. (Just so you know that was sarcasm directed towards MMM needlessly telling you off.)

MMM, Bad form old chap, bad form. :nh:

Warning: User warned for baiting/trolling another forum user. - NMI

Thinyser if Mike had stopped to think for a moment he would have wondered why I chose that distance and how ridiculously short it was. But you are right it was evil of me to post something on topic...

Warning: User warned for baiting another poster. -NMI
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Because people do not know how to discuss a topic in a civil manner, without baiting one another, I am locking this thread.

Learn to AGREE TO DISAGREE! It is not that hard to do!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “G.M.s Forum”