Hatchling Dragons Instincts, Racial Memory,Learned Behavior

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Hatchling Dragons Instincts, Racial Memory,Learned Behavior

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I have a Dragon hatchling in the current game I am in and the GM has some qualms about the published instincts and personality traits.

He doesn't like solitary nature of Dragons, the territorial behavior. The main problem is how do Dragons learn morality, how to act in social situations, work with or even just co-operate with other intelligent beings?

I know I am not totally getting his concerns right or even understanding some of it, any input and suggestions would help.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Hatchling Dragons Instincts, Racial Memory,Learned Behav

Thank You Nightfactory for your response, you have given me much to think on and talk over with my GM.
Veni Vidi Vici
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Another thing, the main source of confusion is dragons typical solitary behaivor towards other dragons. Dogs and cats can also be very territortial to others of the same species, but that dosn't prevent them from sometimes interacting with other speices, nor does it mean they can't form groups within their own species. it just means they have a natural disinclination towards it. But if you suddenly bring in more dogs and cats into a house, the first one won't like it for quite a while.

A hatchling dragon in a party of humans or other humanoids isn't that uncommon a sight (well, the dragon will probablly be shapeshifted to blend in, but). Two hatchlings in the same party is harder to justify, and mostly likely the players of both should have them snip and possibly fight for a while until they get used to the other.

at the same time, tolkeen more or less proved that the idea that dragons cannot live togeather as wrong in tolkeen where Freehold was a city founded and ruled by dragons. it was a very loosly organized city, with no one dragon ruling over the rest, and herding cats was easier and safer than trying to get them all to do anything togeather, but they at least tolerated their neighbors.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SpiritInterface
Hero

Nightfactory wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:Thank You Nightfactory for your response, you have given me much to think on and talk over with my GM.

You are quite welcome, Sir (or Ma'am, as the case may be). Glad that helped. :)

Sir works, now that I passed my 5th decade I accept the title. 8)
Veni Vidi Vici
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant

Return to “G.M.s Forum”