Parkour Skill

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GreenGhost
Adventurer

Parkour Skill

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Hey All.

Has anyone created a Parkour Skill?
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Re: Parkour Skill

Unread post by Svartalf »

What's "parkour"? Is it not covered under other skills?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Svartalf wrote:What's "parkour"? Is it not covered under other skills?

Obstacle courses better known nowadays for type of "Free running". People moan too much about the amoutn of skills in Palladium already and Parkour skill would be too close to acrobatics to be bothered with. It's like the general athletics against aerobic athletics - just another skill to boost (not needed) IMHO.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7QNWEGcNI

i actually would be cool with more skills (the more the better i think) but i can see how gymnastics would be the best to do here, for free running maybe roll every 10' or so and for parkour just roll for each flip or jump
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

There is little to Parkour IMHO that cant be replicated by just taking a couple of the physical skills we already have.
Running + Tumbling/Acrobatics would be my personal choice. *shrugs* personal mileage will vary.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I have a manuscript that is sitting on Kevin's desk awaiting review that has the "Free Running" skill in it. :)
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I have a manuscript that is sitting on Kevin's desk awaiting review that has the "Free Running" skill in it. :)

Is this going to be yet another optional unofficial rifter physical skill, or an actual canon, blanket skill.

Because A rifter skill is no different than the host of OTHER rifter physical skills, and changes.....or the dozens of versions of free running/parkour on the forums/web/what ever. An official skill would be....well official. I would have to see the skill before I could comment, but I would probably just feel that its yet more buff bloat. *shrugs*
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=133380
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

eliakon wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:I have a manuscript that is sitting on Kevin's desk awaiting review that has the "Free Running" skill in it. :)

Is this going to be yet another optional unofficial rifter physical skill, or an actual canon, blanket skill.

Because A rifter skill is no different than the host of OTHER rifter physical skills, and changes.....or the dozens of versions of free running/parkour on the forums/web/what ever. An official skill would be....well official. I would have to see the skill before I could comment, but I would probably just feel that its yet more buff bloat. *shrugs*

If printed it will be an official skill.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

If printed in the rifter it will be nothing of the sort, it will just be an optional proposal
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Unread post by GreatArelius1 »

Definitely a handy site for Heroes Unlimited and does have a decent Parkour write up. Unofficial but good stuff
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... ee_Running
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

GreatArelius1 wrote:Definitely a handy site for Heroes Unlimited and does have a decent Parkour write up. Unofficial but good stuff
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... ee_Running

I agree, it is a handy site, but that reads as an H2H form, is it meant as such?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
eliakon wrote:

If printed it will be an official skill.

Then hopefully what ever official supplement this goes in addresses the issue that you can buff physical stats and combat bonuses into the stratosphere, but nothing for the mind or soul. And some sort of canon limit/cap on the amount of boost you can get from physical skills would be nice as well. :D

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually i've written up a "free running" skill for one of my projects.. a few small physical bonuses, but the main thing is it lets you get over various obstacles if you pass a skill roll. i wanted to focus on the unique aspect of freerunning, the various methods they use to traverse the urban enviroment beyond just running. it has a % for both scaling high areas, and for the 'bounce off things to jump up/down over obstacles', though i'm fine tuning the penalties based on how big something is compared to normal distances. mainly so low level characters aren't going all 'matrix' on GM's.. a high level char that started with the skill would be very good at pulling off the special moves.. though without additional physical boosts the actual moves themselves aren't going to be very major. on the otherhand, a high level juicer with the skill could pull off some real impressive stuff in terms of height/distance for each move.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Unread post by GreatArelius1 »

To Beowolf.

Its meant to be a progression but an all in once skill. If you like at the revised acrobatics, gymnatics skill over on Black Vault, they are setup the same way.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”