Palladium FRPG questions

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Palladium FRPG questions

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Aus wrote:I have recently had some questions arise in relation to the logic of some of the rule interpretations. Perhaps you all could provide some insight. :)

In relation to the combat rule in which all ranged combat gets first initiative.

1) As the GM, my contention is only sniper or surprise ranged attacks get auto-initiative because they "cannot be countered" and therefore no cause for the victim to worry about his/her initiative roll for the first round. However, my group is convinced that the rule applies at all times, ie: in melee range, all ranged attacks go first regardless of initiative (for the first round).

My scenario is an archer/caster class is in sight of a melee class. They both see each other and both are prepared to do combat. My group feels the ranged class will get auto-initiative every time (for the first round). My response is they both need to follow the normal order of initiative due to the fact that the melee might have a defense of some kind against the ranged attacks and just because he can't do damage to the ranged class, he might still be able to negate the damage that is coming his/her direction if he is able to get the better initiative.

I think my answer will be that all attacks should follow the order of initiative including all ranged and melee attacks, except for sniper/surprise attacks. This will give melee's a chance to defend themselves in the event they have an ace up their sleeve.

Totally what you said. Surprised attacks go first as no one even knows they are in combat. Once they do roll initiative for all as equals ranged & melee together - if ranged rolls 9 and melee rolls 10 the melee takes his action first.

Aus wrote:2) I have a warlock in the group who wishes to cast more than 1 phantom footman. He also wants his summoned elemental to be able to cast more than 1 phantom footman. Can a warlock summon multiple numbers of phantom footman? Obviously the first response is if he has enough PPE, then so be it. It is a hugely overpowered situation however.

Our scenario is in a dungeon. They are in the proximity of a ley line. He finally, after several sessions, been able to make his summoning role and brought forth a lesser elemental to do his bidding. Due to the increased rate at which PPE regenerates, and due to the large number of PPE he has (approx 260PPE), he is able to consistently summon several phantom footman, while his PPE regenerates very quickly, almost too quickly. Then he also has his summoned elemental summon a plethora of phantom footman. He is a level 5 warlock. Due to the increased PPE regen, they can practically summon unlimited phantom footman and makes things highly unbalanced.

I think my ruling is going to be that a warlock can only summon one of each type of being, ie: 1 lesser elemental, 1 phantom footman, etc. I'm curious as to what latitudes other people have allowed in past adventures?

I had a priest who had phantom footman spell. Yes he can do whatever his PPE allows and yes it can be very unbalancing! Your ruling makes some sense (with the guilt of enslaving too many of his elemental brethren). As long as the player doesnt feel overly cheated by the limitation given all will be cool.

Aus wrote:3) Now on to a physical ranged attack question. When discussing archery, in this case a shortbow, what does 'rate of fire' actually equate to? My contention is a character with the appropriate WP archery at level 5, will have a rate of fire of 5. My group wishes to contend that is so underpowered that it cannot possibly be accurate and that the 5 rate of fire equals 5 arrows fired per melee attack. In this case I believe the character in question, has 3 HTH attacks per round, which of course comes out to 15 arrows fired per 15 second combat round. This character is a level 5 priest, which I have a hard time allowing a priest to fire 1 arrow per second and only getting more obscene as they get higher level.

I'm almost certain that my ruling will be the wording means it is the equivalent to 5 ranged attacks per round, or 5 single arrows fired.

Rate of fire is ****. Your right - he'd have 5 attacks which means he can fire more arrows than he could slash a sword. Stupid rule. Up to you if you want to ignore it and used hand to hand attacks for firing bows. Ask your group I bet they all say yes.

Aus wrote:These are my scenarios which have caused the most verbal discourse over the past couple of months and so I recorded the events with the idea to see what other people have done in the past.

Ps: This doesn't even address the whole duel wield issue and the huge over powered aspect of a barbarian who is duel wielding giant sized weapons that have been blessed by a priest to do an additional 2d6 damage. With 7 attacks per round, a DW barbarian in the group is doing a minimum of 6d6 (I'm sure I'm forgetting something) times 14 sources of damage with a strength of 30 he is a Juggernaut. :/ I really dislike duel wielding, hehe.

In all of your questions you have a great understand of the rules. Youre spot on on what your reading, welcome to the minor frustrations of this "so so close to being uber" game! Trust your decisions they all seem logical with the right limitations and a group that understands them too. Have fun and if youve any more questions (but I think you'll figure most out on your own - you already did here!) then just ask.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

*looks at questions, looks at Dark Elf's answers, nods head in agreement*
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

Dark Elf did a great job anwsering all of the questions. I just wanted to put one tid-bit about elemental summoning.

Per canon yes you could summon as many as you want, assuming you have the p.p.e. But over the past eight years I have been running a campaign with a air/earth warlock and a fire warlock. And we all agreed after reading the warlock text, that summoning even phantom footmen as cannon fodder wasn't something they would do.
Also because of (hmmm how to word this...) simple elementals are could you even command a group or would each one need there own command. They just dont act or behave like us. We don't even know if they feel pain. If you asked a fire elemental to follow someone and that someone swam out to the middle of a lake would the elemental follow? Even though it would kill them. The book says they don't even understand life and death, true that's not the same as experiencing pain.
As to having a minor elemental summon footmen, I ruled no in my game. Elementals don't like be summoned so why would they have a spell to summon ones? I know it says they have all spells, just never made sense to me.

Also as a side note, if you think thats powerful wait till they get tornado. When players can cast earthquake, tornado and river of lava. You send them to the Land of the Damned for a good time.

and as a side, side note, my first PFRPG character was a Ogre Mercenary who rolled max strength, then took every stat enhancing physical skill he could. And of course who dual wielded battle axes. Loved that character, but it was the other people in the group who made that really made it special. (Not just saying that cause it's the campaign where I met my wife. Her Gnome Thief would ride on his shoulder and then made a small room in his backpack.)
(You do lose auto-parry when you swing with both weapons in one action.)
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Aus wrote:I have a warlock in the group who wishes to cast more than 1 phantom footman. He also wants his summoned elemental to be able to cast more than 1 phantom footman.

Greetings and Salutations. I agree (for the most part) with the others, that Dark Elf answered your questions well. This part right here though it looks like everyone before me missed.

Phantom Footman (at least in my 3rd Printing and my 6th Printing) cannot cast magic (they don't even have P.P.E. listed). Therefore they cannot summon more. The Warlock can summon Phantoms (level 5), and those Phantoms (in theory) could cast Phantom Footman (but couldn't summon more Phantoms because that's level 5 and they don't have that high of spell magic).

Now there's another flaw with this plan. Okay, Warlock summons 8 Phantoms (240 P.P.E.). Each Phantom then summons 5 Phantom Footman (40 total!). So now the character controls 48 minions, and this took only about 2 minutes. The Phantom Footman aren't very good at combat, but hey, there's 40 of them and they can handle situations with overwhelming numbers. So the Warlock orders his minions to do something. The 8 Phantoms head off to execute the task while the 40 Phantom Footman just stand there doing nothing. Why?

Simple. The Phantom Footman only obey the warlock who summoned them. If the Warlock doesn't summon them, he can't order them. They'll only obey the Phantoms (the ones who summoned them). If he's sending them off, the Phantoms will probably be gone (45 mph) before the warlock even realizes his mistake (and the Phantom Footman will stay within 1000 feet of the Phantoms, so they'll eventually run off too and the warlock may just think they delayed in their response). Note: He could, in theory, try to micromanage through the Phantoms, but ever play the game of Telephone (a.k.a. Chinese Whispers)? Now imagine playing that game with a bunch of alien beings who don't truly understand you to begin with.

If you want to do this, don't necessarily tell the player what's wrong right away. Just have the elementals act (without explanation) ... and let him figure it out on his own. Just a thought. Okay, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”