Stating out an AI for a ship: need opinion

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Stating out an AI for a ship: need opinion

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I am taking the approach of the AI as the mind/character and the ship as th body. as a vessel of exploration field scientist fit. Now the part I'm on is what skills and should ship's systems be considered aspects of her senses or should she be like Archie?

Trying to avoid a situation like andromeda..but sadly I see Ruby with an android body eventually. unless some other options strikes me.

Character Class: programmed as a Field Scientist
Alignment: Unprincipled
Experience Level: 6
Experience Points: 0
XP total for Next Level:
Disposition: Quiet and efficient. Fairly easy to get along with. just don't call her a warship...she's a vessel of exploration
Insanity: None
Allies of note:

ATTRIBUTES
I.Q.: 30
M.E.: 26
M.A.: 14
P.S.: N/A
P.P.: N/A
P.E.: N/A
P.B.: N/A
Speed: N/A

PHYSICAL DATA:
HP: n/a
SDC: n/a
Sex: Female
Height: As per ship, her AI is a that of a Dylarian
Weight: none, no physical body
Skin: grey with a red patterns similar to lava flows
Eyes: Dark red
Racial/OCC abilities:

1. able to access and operate all functions on her vessel. Typicaly uses drones and robots to perform mundane fucntions.

2. Recognizing Alien Artifacts 50%+4%
This special skill enables the scientist to recognize an item not of Dylarian origin and surmise its probable purpose/use. Furthermore, the field scientist can recognize Robotech Master, Zentraedi, and Invid technology/items.

2. Use Alien Technology 22%+5% per level of experience.
The scientist can analyze and try to use devices of alien design. This may require building it into a human made device, modifying it, or use it as is, such as perfectly good alien weapon, vehicle, etc.
Analysis time will vary depending on the complexity of the item, it's purpose and level of technological sophistication. Likewise, something that is completely new, that is to say, supernatural or unlike anything ever created by man, will be even more difficult to figure out. Add a bonus of +10% when dealing with Robotech Master, Zentraedi, or Invid technology/devices.
Time Restrictions:
Low technology, humanoid design: 1d4 hours and +10% to skill Medium technology, humanoid design: 2d6 hours High technology, humanoid design: 1d4x10 hours Super technology, humanoid design: 4d6x10 hours
Penalties (all penalties cumulative):
Non-humanoid design: -15% and add 1d6x10 days Mentally activated/operated: -10% and add 4d6 hours Mystical properties: -12% and add 3d4x10 days Completely alien technology: -30% and add 4d6x10 days Each failed attempt:-5% (due to frustration)
A failed roll means the item remains a mystery and can not be used despite the hours, days or weeks of analysis. Of course the scientist can try again, rerunning the same tests or performing a battery of completely new tests. The field scientist can try as many times as it takes to figure it out, but each time there is more confusion and frustration involved.

O.C.C. Skills:
Radio: Basic (+10%)
Read Sensory Instrument (+10%)
Language: Tyrolian/Zentraedi (+20%)
Literature: Tyrolian/Zentraedi (+20%)
Language: Dylarian (+20%)
Literature: Dylarian (+20%)
Maths: Basic (+20%)
Maths: Advanced (+20%)
Computer Operation (+10%)
Research (+20%)
Translate unknown Language: (+20%)

MOS:

OCC Related/Other Skills: 8 (1 additional skill at levels 2, 3, 6, 9 & 12.)
Communications: Any (+10%)
Domestic: Any
Electrical: Any (+5%)
Espionage: Forgery, Intelligence & Wilderness Survival only (+5%)
Mechanical: Any (+10%)
Medical: Any (+10%)
Military: Any, except demolitions (+15%)
Physical: Any, except acrobatics
Pilot: Any, as field scientist if he encounters human Plus Bioroids (+5)
Pilot Related: Any (+10%)
Science: Any (+15%)
Technical: Any (+15%)
WP: Any
Secondary Skills
Select 6 other skills with no bonuses

Combat Data
HTH Type: expert (Mecha/Robot Combat For use with Drones and Power armour purposes only)
Number of Attacks:
Initiative Bonus:
Strike Bonus:
Auto Parry Bonus:
Dodge Bonus:
Roll w/Punch:
Pull a Punch:
Crit Strike Natural
Entangle
Damage:
Disarm:

Weapon Proficiencies
Starship Weaponry
Drone Weaponry

Saving Throws

Equipment
Starship systems:

Small Arms: (for use by crew)

Armor: (for use by crew)

Power Armour: (for use by crew)
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Stating out an AI for a ship: need opinion

Unread post by Nightmask »

If you've the Phase World books there's a ship with a sentient AI (pirates removed the brain from a Machine Person and installed it into the ship) you might look at for comparison.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Nightmask wrote:If you've the Phase World books there's a ship with a sentient AI (pirates removed the brain from a Machine Person and installed it into the ship) you might look at for comparison.

Will do that. sounds like what I have in mind is. thanks for the tip.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:If you've the Phase World books there's a ship with a sentient AI (pirates removed the brain from a Machine Person and installed it into the ship) you might look at for comparison.

Glad to be of help.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Have you thought of just using the rules in Revise Sourcebook 1 for creating an AI and then just inventing a core program. I have created lots of ships AIs this way.

Also, have you looked at the Zebuloid RCC in the Anvil Galaxy book, page 62. They have a multi-tasking / compartmentalized brain natural ability that lets them do two things at once. I have given this ability to all my AIs and even let players upgrade to three or even four things at once with some very expensive upgrades.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rimmerdal wrote:

Another way to do it is to make a Brain Ship like ones in Anne McCaffrey's brain-braun books. (Started with the novel 'The Ship Who Sang')
A 'Brain Ship' is much like a full con. borg but their "body" is the ship (or station) they are installed in.
(Braun's is a person that is the mobile partner of the BB team.)
-----------------------------------
For a A.I. run ship you should just use the Robot Class found in the Rifts Sourcebook 1 or the Robot Power Cat. in HU.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”