Called Shots

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Called Shots

Unread post by Grell »

If my copy of R:UE and Dead Reign are any indication, is it safe to assume that PB has done away with the required 12 or higher to strike on called shots in favor of multiple actions and penalties to hit?

On a related note, do you apply the penalties to strike small targets for physical attacks?

Thoughts?
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Called Shots

Unread post by The Beast »

Grell wrote:If my copy of R:UE and Dead Reign are any indication, is it safe to assume that PB has done away with the required 12 or higher to strike on called shots in favor of multiple actions and penalties to hit?

On a related note, do you apply the penalties to strike small targets for physical attacks?

Thoughts?

AFAIK, PB still uses the called shot rules. For some unknown reason they haven't updated the errata to say one way or another. It would be nice if Palladium Books would have someone update it from time to time.

As for your other question, I would, but I haven't seen a ruling for or against it anywhere. It was just something that always made sense to do with every group I sat down and played with.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Also if a rule makes sense may as well use it. and that called shot rule certainly makes sense. Otherwise everyone one is a master marksman and makes the the much feared called Head shot.

And remember, Head shots are only funny if its not your head that explodes like a melon.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Our current group uses a mix of the new and old rules. Mostly the old rules, where aimed and called shots took 1 acttion and called shots required a 12 or higher. Only small targets which list a penalty to hit with a called shot typically get a negative modifier.My old gaming group instituted a house rule where called shots to the head that missed also missed the main body.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Since we do so much moving while attacking, i just let my players aim or called shot if they don't move on their action. it's 12 for melee on a called shot, with -3 for small areas. It's 15 for ranged called shots, -3 for small areas. The penalties matter, espeically for the purposes of missing.

I do it that if you get a 8 or lower while making a precise called shot after bonuses, you miss. Not hitting main body, miss. The same is true for an 11 or lower on a ranged attack.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Huh...I never noticed the removal of the requirement of a 12 to hit on a called shot....the things you learn...

As for the penalties....from what i can tell it is not specified as to of such penalties are for ranged combat only. I'd apply them as it is still s small difficult target to hit.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Grell wrote:If my copy of R:UE and Dead Reign are any indication, is it safe to assume that PB has done away with the required 12 or higher to strike on called shots in favor of multiple actions and penalties to hit?

Thoughts?

Correct.
And Yes.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Thoughts?

Correct.
And Yes.

Fantastic. Thanks everyone for the replies, they've been most helpful indeed. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

personally, i'd see no problem with a mix of the old and the new..

the new "aimed called shot" uses normal to hit targets and actually benefits from the +2 bonus of the aimed shot.. but it uses 3 actions due to it being a carefully aimed sniper style shot.

the old called shot was a rushed, 1 action attack.. that was 50% tougher to connect with (target of 12 instead of 8.)

both make a lot of sense. and they aren't really contradictory. one is slow but accurate.. the other fast but inaccurate.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Good points. I like the new , though when it comes to burst rules I prefer the old.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”