Gargoyle Question

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jerell
Hero

Gargoyle Question

Unread post by Jerell »

In Rifts, are Gargoyles effectively immune to Lasers and Plasma? I notice they're 'immune to heat'...
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Re: Gargoyle Question

Unread post by JTwig »

Jerell wrote:In Rifts, are Gargoyles effectively immune to Lasers and Plasma? I notice they're 'immune to heat'...

I've noticed this very thing a lot in Rifts and Palladium Fantasy, as being immune or resistant (1/2 damage) to fire & heat is a very common natural ability for many supernatural and magical creatures. I've also noticed that for some reason if a creature is immune or resistant to plasma it will list it separately. This leads me to believe that for some reason lasers and plasma (and similar type of attacks) is not included in this blanket immunity or resistance, despite real world physic.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

They aren't immune to the lasers or plasmas direct impact. just the heat they geneerate. the Cellular damage still seems to affect them. Same with other heat causing energies. the direct damage hurts them just the heat based after effects and fire would not harm them.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Do not assume real world physics is at play. Unless otherwise stated Plasma weapons are not included as part of most D-Bees immunities to fire.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Kinda what I figured after looking at what Triax uses as weapons. Fair amount of lasers, no way they'd use them if Gargoyles weren't effected by them.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Lasers are "Energy weapons" as per the PB lexicon.
(Which means they are not affected but heat-fire immunities.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

with lasers the heat is a byproduct of the impact of photons on the target.. true weaponized lasers are going to do more damage through the impact of their photons on a target than by the heat that impact creates. (right now IRL we haven't figured out how to make lasers that potent yet, so we rely on 'burning' via heat transfer since we know we can do that, and that requires weaker lasers. takes lots longer though.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

glitterboy2098 wrote:with lasers the heat is a byproduct of the impact of photons on the target.. true weaponized lasers are going to do more damage through the impact of their photons on a target than by the heat that impact creates. (right now IRL we haven't figured out how to make lasers that potent yet, so we rely on 'burning' via heat transfer since we know we can do that, and that requires weaker lasers. takes lots longer though.)

I'm curious how you think that, given the amount of damage an individual photon can do is pretty much fixed and they rarely knock off parts of the atoms they hit, or that you think somehow that the burning aspect of a laser doesn't constitute weapon status and somehow unless they're not really a weapon until they hit like a bullet instead of burning like a laser.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I don't see how being immune to fire is all that good anyway. More people die from suffocation than from burns when it comes to fire.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “G.M.s Forum”