Burn out

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Burn out

Unread post by arouetta »

Feeling a little down today. Have a game in two days and no plot. Nada, zip, zero. I've gone through all my usual resources for plot hooks and nothing is clicking.

What's most frustrating is that I have thrown out to the players five major plot hooks and they aren't following up on any of them. So I've been doing filler small stuff from session to session, waiting for them to say "Let's start researching how to do 'x'" and it's not happening. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to have to hit them with a two by four. Repeatedly. One two gods have commanded they do, another only one god commanded them, a third was highly recommended by their best buddy alchemist, a fourth a PC was advised to watch her step as what was happening to other priests could happen to her, and the fifth was player requested - but when the buddy alchemist gave a list of ingredients no one followed up on where to get them.

I'm at the point of flat out asking the players what they do want out of the ongoing plot next session and explaining why I'm feeling so frustrated. I've had plot hooks flushed down the toilet before. But the players (only two of which are still playing) role-played out their disinterest and gave me a fairly clear cut alternate direction to go in. I'm not getting that this time. Just a whatever attitude that leaves me struggling for filler.

Now that I've gone through the pity party, does anyone have resources for medieval fantasy plots? Maybe more resources will help.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Burn out

Unread post by Glistam »

I've found inspiration here before: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/plots.htm
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

Glistam wrote:I've found inspiration here before: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/plots.htm

Wow, rereading my post, I was really down last night. That list did help lead me to an idea (ironically I already had the list printed out and tucked in my 5 inch thick GM book :-D ) and I called a couple of the players last night to discuss the situation with them. That all helped pull me out of the doldrums.

Here's a couple of resources I've been relying on:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/83932/650-Fantasy-City-Encounter-Seeds-%26-Hooks

http://www.roleplayingtips.com/download-your-pdf-1372-roadside-encounter-ideas/

http://www.roleplayingtips.com/5-room-dungeons/
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Go get'm then. :ok:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

What are the player characters life goals?

If they have none...well, I've certainly been caught trying to fan an ember into flame before...an ember which was just not there.

I'll stress, it really isn't a lopsided 'the GM does all the work of entertaining the players' situation. The players have to do some of the entertaining of themselves/entertain each other. It might be a skewed proportion - maybe the GM does 80% of it, the players only 20%. Maybe the GM does 90% and the players 10%. But you can't do 100% of it and expect to be happy as a GM. Playing games is supposed to be entertaining for you - taking on 100% of the job of entertaining just means you wont be entertained. That sucks. Thus burn out.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Noon wrote:What are the player characters life goals?

If they have none...well, I've certainly been caught trying to fan an ember into flame before...an ember which was just not there.

I'll stress, it really isn't a lopsided 'the GM does all the work of entertaining the players' situation. The players have to do some of the entertaining of themselves/entertain each other. It might be a skewed proportion - maybe the GM does 80% of it, the players only 20%. Maybe the GM does 90% and the players 10%. But you can't do 100% of it and expect to be happy as a GM. Playing games is supposed to be entertaining for you - taking on 100% of the job of entertaining just means you wont be entertained. That sucks. Thus burn out.

Thats why good players keep goals and ideas on their sheets. most my toons have goals ranging from top score on the Mig Waxer Arcade game to designing a world altering soda can...and even a few useful ones. and when all else fails..pick up a good "choose your own adventure".

I've used Steve Jackson books as adventure ideas.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I used to ask for certain items my character wanted and started there. As a GM in military games such as Robotech, I use missions. But in rifts and other fantasy games I hint to some rare items out there for the taking. I miss my player who always played a bounty hunter. He always could get the group motivated to go get some cash.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

arouetta wrote:Feeling a little down today. Have a game in two days and no plot. Nada, zip, zero. I've gone through all my usual resources for plot hooks and nothing is clicking.

What's most frustrating is that I have thrown out to the players five major plot hooks and they aren't following up on any of them. So I've been doing filler small stuff from session to session, waiting for them to say "Let's start researching how to do 'x'" and it's not happening. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to have to hit them with a two by four. Repeatedly. One two gods have commanded they do, another only one god commanded them, a third was highly recommended by their best buddy alchemist, a fourth a PC was advised to watch her step as what was happening to other priests could happen to her, and the fifth was player requested - but when the buddy alchemist gave a list of ingredients no one followed up on where to get them.

I'm at the point of flat out asking the players what they do want out of the ongoing plot next session and explaining why I'm feeling so frustrated. I've had plot hooks flushed down the toilet before. But the players (only two of which are still playing) role-played out their disinterest and gave me a fairly clear cut alternate direction to go in. I'm not getting that this time. Just a whatever attitude that leaves me struggling for filler.

Now that I've gone through the pity party, does anyone have resources for medieval fantasy plots? Maybe more resources will help.

what game's it for? PFRPG?

A lot of GMs think of themselves as players & GM. I like more along the lines of characters and NPCs.

You already have a lot going on and I wouldnt recommend throwing in more scenarios especially if there are unrelated to any of your four plots.
You have already established your NPCs (alchemists and GODS!!) so instead of asking how do I as a GM create an interesting plot, the question you need to ask is How do I get them to not ignore the four Ive already set up?
Going back to the Pc/NPC thinking (Instead of a GM). How are these gods responding to a few mere mortals defying their great and holy commands?? Do the PCs really think they can ignore the commands (not suggestions) or a god (or a couple of gods!)? And they expect nothing to happen/no consequences?

I would think of a reaction from your gods that is realistic. what I mean by this is that the god NPC isnt a tool to railroad the PCs with threats or "do it or I'll kill you." the god picked these PCs as he foresees they can accomplish the quest he has in mind. So killing them is the opposite of getting his needed quest completed. So is punishing them with curses or disfigurement (well maybe some curses might work) or lowering their power. BUT - these PCs DO need to learn a lesson that no one ignores a god!
What alignment is the god? If he's evil then the PCs are ******. I recon family members may be kidnapped or a deadline of complete the quest by X or I'll kill you may work.
Gods teaching people lesson do not do it by given out rewards either.

OOOOO - just thought - you could swap the PCs mind and bodies - let them play each other until they do as they are commanded. In fact I love that idea. Go do that...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

If your players don't respond to plot hooks, make something happen for them to react to.

Plot hook
Gm: he says the natives are restless, rumors of a new holy man...blah...blah...blah
Players: *yawn*

Making it happen:
Gm: you smell smoke and realize the inn is on fire. you look out the window and see a bunch of natives setting the town on fire...

Of course, the players could ignore the inn being on fire, but unless they like the idea of burning to death, it seems unlikely. Now once they're doing something (presumably trying to escape the conflagration), there's nothing that says they'll get involved in the whole "restless natives" thing, but at least they're not still sitting in the inn ignoring your plot hooks.

If the players weren't biting, one GM I played with would simply start a war between the nation we were in and one of its neighbors. Even if the PCs had no interest in fighting on either side of the war, you can make a whole campaign that revolves around avoiding getting conscripted into the army.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

the trick is getting the Players personally involved as mentioned above. That way they WANT to do it and have that "buy-in" to complete the task as best it can be (man I sound like Im giving management training).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “G.M.s Forum”