Bounties on Supernatural Creatures

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Bounties on Supernatural Creatures

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

My players have decided to hunt down a particularly cunning, lethal and destructive gargoyle. It's in the Kingsdale area and has been disrupting commerce mostly, though several disappearances and other damages have been attributed to it as well.

The current posting is 1,000,000 credits plus damages/consumables.

(he's a "high level" gargoyle, armed with a speciality fire spear and has some other tools to hide himself)

Do you think this amount is fair? I think it might be too little considering the harm the creature causes.

It's going to be tough for this group, as they have to compete with other bounty hunters and the gargoyle itself is no slouch.

I suppose what i mean is, would you take this bounty if you were a small group of 4-6 guys all level 4 or below?

Also, what is the general bounty bar you set in your games, when you do it at all?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Bounties on Supernatural Creatures

Unread post by Bill »

I think offering anything above and beyond the cost of repairing/replacing their gear is pretty generous. I like to play the setting as resource poor though.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Mercenaries has the listing. If you don't have it let me know and I'll look it up for you, but it doesn't pay amazing unless its a special member of the species. Like my players recently spewed bloody murder when they only got 100 credits per Broodkil head, but that is what the book says. :lol:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

I made a mistake in game, the characters walked off with the contents of a warehouse, and I had a heart attack when I figured out the profit. But it ultimately didn't break the game. I could set what was available for sale and what wasn't, we could play with a few shinys that otherwise would never have made it in game, the characters bought land and I've been torturing them via land problems since.

My point: a large bounty is not necessarily a bad thing. It could open doors to other plots that would not be available to poor characters.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

1,000,000cr in Rifts can vanish pretty damn fast though. When i played games i always laughed in people's faces when they offered me less than a few 100k for even something simple, unless they were paying my expenses. Then again, my character was had 15 levels combined, so yeah.

This is a dangerous job. It is a special member of the species. It's an infamous outlaw from Europe that not even the NGR has ever been able to capture or kill.

An yeah, Akashik, i pretty much ignore the Merc book when it comes to that. 100cr for a brodkil head has got to be the most insulting thing i've ever heard.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Personally that on the high side. The profit always in my game is the equipment you take from them. You how much is the fire spear worth? To me it aways comes down to the party build. Example much damage is this alone mob going to do per attack? MOre the 40 MDC if not the mage can just keep casting armor of ithan every round their goes any costs.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

snip......i pretty much ignore the Merc book when it comes to that. 100cr for a brodkil head has got to be the most insulting thing i've ever heard.

Yeah, i do too....i think even the brodkil would be insulted too :lol:
The Dragon Has Spoken
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I'm with Arouetta. big reward does not always break a game. and it has a way attracting thieves or rivals. In merc town a merc has few professional secrets. Someone, somewhere will know the have that cash.

The reward may not be cash either. Part of the reward could be some equipment, a pre-paid Debit of some sort with a noted Company or manufacturer they use often say NG or one of the big companies. Could also be something valuable, but not cash redeemable and quite useful. It may even be a contract with an NPC that could be helpful or is hard to get a contract with. Sometimes its not what you own...its who you know.

Pre-paid contracts with a company like Crow's Commando's, Demonbusters Inc, Combat Medical Services and Air superiority Inc could prove handy.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Totally, Rimmerdal. That's the thing, they've kicked butt so far, but they haven't finishd this job yet. In the end though, they have no friends and think of themselves as better than most people. It's going to get them into trouble.

Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I think you are fine with the reward. As the GM you can set cost to everything and build adventures around stuff they get. As it has already been suggested. And there is always the Merc company that felt like the Players stole their reward and come out for revenge.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Return to “G.M.s Forum”