Simplify the Rules

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aaryq
Adventurer

Simplify the Rules

Unread post by Aaryq »

Howdy, folks.
I started getting my oldest two daughters (1st and 2nd grade) to start gaming with me in PFRPG. They're very intelligent for their ages but a First and Second Grader isn't quite ready for all of the complexities of PFRPG. I don't want to simplify it TOO MUCH but I also want them to be easier than a simple board game. I really want to put the essence on the roleplay aspect and less to the combat aspect.
What rules would you suggest I add/modify/remove?

As for content, I will tailor it down to to a PG level of gaming. The kids know that to kill a band of goblins is all made up and to hurt another living being (humans or animals) is unacceptable. Content is not really an issue, it's more of the rules I'm struggling with.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Noon
Champion

Re: Simplify the Rules

Unread post by Noon »

As I understand it, I'd say the rules don't really cover what your talking about. They cover combat.

Other RPG's like the riddle of steel and its spritual attributes cover roleplay.

"What do the players do?" is the question to figure out.

I'd say the ruleset really doesn't answer that much and continuing to look at it really hard wont help figure out the answer to the question.

For me, I invent what the players do for a campaign of mine. It comes naturally enough to me.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I would do away with AR, and most penalties (adding and subtracting back and forth can be a pain). If you do use any penalties, just do so when it creates tension, like on a really important save, attack or dodge. Use your better judgement.

I'd also do away with Attacks per Melee as we understand them. just do round-robin forever, and let them move their SPD in feet as part of any action they take, x2 or x3 if all they do is move. As they get a grasp of things, then you can start implementing things like Roll with Impact, running out of APM etc.

Though definately use HF still. Kids love that stuff if you can make it camp-fire scary.

I think Palladium's stance on social interaction is fine, you're just roleplaying everything. If the kids don't know what to say or do, you can have NPC's (or other players if they're there) help them, no harm in that. You can also, if they have the social bonuses from MA or PB, make rolls on that to get what they want. It's important to encourage them to interact with the world, however.

I don't mean be be GMing 101 on you, heh, i'm sure you know what you're doing. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Alrik Vas wrote:I would do away with AR, and most penalties (adding and subtracting back and forth can be a pain). If you do use any penalties, just do so when it creates tension, like on a really important save, attack or dodge. Use your better judgement.

I'd also do away with Attacks per Melee as we understand them. just do round-robin forever, and let them move their SPD in feet as part of any action they take, x2 or x3 if all they do is move. As they get a grasp of things, then you can start implementing things like Roll with Impact, running out of APM etc.

Though definately use HF still. Kids love that stuff if you can make it camp-fire scary.

I think Palladium's stance on social interaction is fine, you're just roleplaying everything. If the kids don't know what to say or do, you can have NPC's (or other players if they're there) help them, no harm in that. You can also, if they have the social bonuses from MA or PB, make rolls on that to get what they want. It's important to encourage them to interact with the world, however.

I don't mean be be GMing 101 on you, heh, i'm sure you know what you're doing. :P

The AR and penalties are something I scrapped. You lose armor first, then SDC, then HP. It's easiest.
I'll try that with APM too. That seems like quite the simple trade-off.
I never thought of using HF to involve the campfire scaryness. I like this a lot.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Glad i could help, mate.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

My second oldest (6) decided to play a wizard. I'm just going to allow unlimited spells for now and let them be cast instantly. Do you think that's a good idea?
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

Aaryq wrote:My second oldest (6) decided to play a wizard. I'm just going to allow unlimited spells for now and let them be cast instantly. Do you think that's a good idea?

That can quickly turn into a situation where the magic completely overpowers the game. What about 1ed rules about spells per day?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

One other thing I would do would be to be honest with them and say you have mod'ed the rules to make game play easier. That way, later, when they read the books they will not come crying to you that you/they (PB) changed things.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Get rid of attacks per melee. Allow all spells to be cast in a single action. Allow all parries and dodges to be automatic (kids like the thrill of getting to defend, but not if they can't attack).

Keep the focus off combat if possible, but keep enough to make things exciting for the kids.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Aaryq wrote:My second oldest (6) decided to play a wizard. I'm just going to allow unlimited spells for now and let them be cast instantly. Do you think that's a good idea?

Not really.

Write his spells on some cards or pieces of paper. One card per spell (even for duplicates)

When he uses the spell, he gives you the piece of paper.

That tracks how many spells he has left, neatly.
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

damn! This sounds so much more fun! I WANNA PLAY!!!
There is no spoon.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I agree with Flatline that spells should be casted as a single action (unless you want certain ones to take time, as it might be dramatic).

However, I would limit number of castings somehow. I think Noon's suggestion could work. It's simple and lets your kid see their resources clearly.

But above all, as Drew said, i think making sure that they understand the rules have been moded is important.

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Could have a number of tokens given to the wizard and on each spell it needs X number tokens. Each rest or at set points the wizards gets a number of tokens.
Last edited by Rimmerdal on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”