Random Gem Table

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Random Gem Table

Unread post by McFacemelt »

The game I currently gm is psionic and techno wizard heavy so I made up this random gem table, after rolling percentile for the type I usually have them roll a d4 for number of half carats of w/e gem but obviously that can be tweaked to any dice you want for w/e carat you want to give. Hope someone finds it useful, it has been for me. For those of you wondering, the list is in ascending order of cost based on the gems listed in the TW section of RUE, alphabetical order breaking all ties.

01-03: Ivory
04-06: Agate (red-orange)
07-09: Quartz (clear)
10-12: Agate (fire)
13-15: Tourmaline (black)
16-18: Quartz (rose)
19-21: Quartz (smoky)
22-24: Topaz (yellow or brown)
25-27: Turquoise
28-30: Quartz (ruby)
31-33: Zircon (yellow, brown or gold)
34-36: Amethyst
37-39: Chrysophase (quartz)
40-42: Andradite
43-45: Opal (all others)
46-48: Amber
49-51: Opal (black)
52-54: Opal (fire)
55-57: Garnet (all other colors)
58-60: Jade
61-63: Onyx
64-66: Zircon (blue)
67-69: Aquamarine
70-72: Zircon (red)
73-75: Garnet (black)
76-78: Malachite
82-84: Tiger's Eye
85-87: Zircon (clear)
88-90: Citrine
91: Lapis Lazuli
92: Pearl (white)
93: Pearl (black)
94: Diamond
95: Emerald
96: Sapphire (all other colors)
97: Ruby (blue)
98: Ruby (deep red)
99: Sapphire (black)
100: Star Sapphire
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Random Gem Table

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would make two or three table not one. So you can make the Quartz family of minerals have a greater percentage of the possibilities given for raw/uncut stones. For when they are found in the wild.

The one in your post could be good for a jewelry shop in a world with a global economy.

There is the also regional considerations to take in account. Omitting the ones that are not found on the continent being played on.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Good stuff.

In some of the game worlds I think they may have created some fictional gems too.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

I use it as a base mainly, then tweak it here and there for what I need. As is it is good for say group of PC's kills 1 or more techno wizard's or geomancer's with a random assortment of gems, roll x amount of times to see what gems they were carrying.

It can also work to see what a gem vendor might currently have if our PCs run into a gem trader. I roll % dice and everything from the number I rolled and below is what he has in stock. I would then roll the d4 to see how many half carats he has of a said gem if someone shows interest in a particular kind.

If you want to give it more regional flare, you can omit one's that would not appear for more of the one's that would.

The current game I run is set in Arkansas, home of the only diamond mine in North America (no that isn't a joke, it's true in real life) mainly cause that's where were from and as I stated before is a fairly TW happy group. If were mining in the diamond mine it is obviously a much different table, but still keep's most of it's same format, give higher % to gems that can actually be found there and remove the one's there shouldn't be a chance for i.e. Black Pearls.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”