A dual personality Entity idea: two players one Character

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

A dual personality Entity idea: two players one Character

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Dr. Jeckle/Mr.hide, Etrigan/Jason Blood and The hulk/Bruce Banner are both two separate entities in the same body. Has anyone ever tried two players each playing one personality? If so how did it work out? How do you work it?

(Key advice: don't leave those plane tickets to Vegas laying around...:P)
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Giant2005
Knight

Re: A dual personality Entity idea: two players one Characte

Unread post by Giant2005 »

It doesn't sound like a very good idea if only one player can do anything at a time. Rather than have the body be a timeshare, you are better off having them both control it simultaneously and rule by committee.
You can actually find rules for such a type of character in Power Unlimited 2 under the Gestalt Superhero if you really want to give it a try.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Giant2005 wrote:It doesn't sound like a very good idea if only one player can do anything at a time. Rather than have the body be a timeshare, you are better off having them both control it simultaneously and rule by committee.
You can actually find rules for such a type of character in Power Unlimited 2 under the Gestalt Superhero if you really want to give it a try.

I was thinking something like that too. Like Jeckle/Hide in the League movies where they could talk to one another in reflections and such. But only the one in the driver seat acts..and his skills apply. The backseat driver can instruct or guide verbally.

The key would be to find a pair people who could pull it off. Think I may have a PU two..I'll take a look.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

We had a guy in 3rd Ed D&D who played a Cleric of Pelor and a Battle Ravager both trapped in the same body. Things got interesting when he switched during the middle of a really tough fight. Though instead of us needing his heals, he ripped the bad guys a new one, so no real complaints.

It's just that my character felt like he needed to be put down as he started making fetishes out of entrails when the battle was over.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rimmerdal wrote:Dr. Jeckle/Mr.hide, Etrigan/Jason Blood and The hulk/Bruce Banner are both two separate entities in the same body. Has anyone ever tried two players each playing one personality? If so how did it work out? How do you work it?

(Key advice: don't leave those plane tickets to Vegas laying around...:P)

I do have a Char that has two personalities come day or night. However, the char is really two chars that are under a curse. Sort of like in the movie LadyHawk, but only one body and it making the change to the other when they switch.
---------
On another note, the idea has merit in that it lets two people switch off doing the GMing of the game w/o having to have two chars that are not there half the time.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

If I did run with something like this, it would be a more careful designed thing out of the game, a longer term personality grab where only one of the two players attends the session at any given time (perhaps like, you have 6 friends, 4 can do weekly, and 2 can do bi-weekly because of life, those two characters could share a character who is in a weekly run game).
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
mastermesh
Wanderer

Unread post by mastermesh »

actually created a character like that once as an npc... Actually he had 5 different personalities, and was sort of a jester/side story to the main story... can make for some fun times... not sure I'd want it as a player character though...

closest thing in player characters was when I had an intelligence possess one of the pcs once... that got weird since the intelligence was very, very sadomasochistic

Return to “G.M.s Forum”