Question regarding magic vs. AR

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Question regarding magic vs. AR

Unread post by Michael Barakofsky »

Durring a recent character roll up session to introduce some fresh blood to the Rifts setting the following question came up:

Does a magic spell ignore AR?

I said yes because thats how I have always worked it, however my friend/roommate/co-GM wanted to know in which book that is said. I have spent the last hour trying (and failing) to find where I read that. So my question is this:

Is it actually printed in a book that Magical spell attacks ignore AR (hence the saving throw) or have I been playing with a house rule so long that I forgot it was a house rule?
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
John 3:16 says it all
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Question regarding magic vs. AR

Unread post by The Beast »

AFAIK, a spell has to specifically state that it ignores AR in order to ignore it.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

[quote="The Beast"]AFAIK, a spell has to specifically state that it ignores AR in order to ignore it.[/quote Actually, AFAIK, most spells don't require a roll to strike. Which would mean those spells automatically ignore AR.

Spells that require a strike are situation dependant. If it is a mentally debilitating spell, the AR wouldn't affect it. So why would you count it?
GM common sense ruling, case by case basis.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Michael Barakofsky wrote:Durring a recent character roll up session to introduce some fresh blood to the Rifts setting the following question came up:

I said yes because thats how I have always worked it, however my friend/roommate/co-GM wanted to know in which book that is said. I have spent the last hour trying (and failing) to find where I read that. So my question is this:

Is it actually printed in a book that Magical spell attacks ignore AR (hence the saving throw) or have I been playing with a house rule so long that I forgot it was a house rule?

depends on what kind of spells your talking about. do you mean things like fire ball or carpet of adhesion or dominate?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Michael Barakofsky wrote:Durring a recent character roll up session to introduce some fresh blood to the Rifts setting the following question came up:

depends on what kind of spells your talking about. do you mean things like fire ball or carpet of adhesion or dominate?

Direct attack type spells like Fireball or Call Lightning and similar, spells like carpet of adhesion I know don't care about AR.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
The Beast wrote:AFAIK, a spell has to specifically state that it ignores AR in order to ignore it.
Actually, AFAIK, most spells don't require a roll to strike. Which would mean those spells automatically ignore AR.

Spells that require a strike are situation dependant. If it is a mentally debilitating spell, the AR wouldn't affect it. So why would you count it?
GM common sense ruling, case by case basis.

I assumed that he was asking about the attack spells (which, according to his previous post, he was). But no, you are right. Something like Blinding Flash, Fly as the Eagle, or Carpet of Adhesion wouldn't need to worry about an AR since neither one interacts with the other when in use.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Some damaging spells just "automatically hit" and the only way the target can avoid it is to try and dodge. It is unclear whether those spells would always bypass the A.R., or if they would always be subject to it. That would have to be a G.M. call.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

If a physical attack spell like fireball or energy bolt doesn't state that it ignores A.R. I have to assume that it doesn't, and works like any other attack. If there is a strike roll, then that just works as normal for any other strike. If there is a set target dodge, then consider the 'strike' roll to always be this, e.g. a fireball always hits with a strike of 18, so it will beat any A.R. of 17 or less every time. But if someone is wearing armour of Ithan (A.R. 18), then the fireball will hit the armour every time. An automatic hit spell like call lightning automatically hits so would do damage to the target, not his armour.

I don't really play Rifts, but I'm guessing it's different for no-A.R. M.D.C. armour.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

If there is a Strike Roll, there is the potential for AR to be a factor.
Keep in mind that not all spells have Strike Rolls - several mentioned in this thread (eg Fireball, Energy Bolt) have a Dodge roll but no Strike and AR is irrelevant without a Strike roll.
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Giant2005 wrote:If there is a Strike Roll, there is the potential for AR to be a factor.
Keep in mind that not all spells have Strike Rolls - several mentioned in this thread (eg Fireball, Energy Bolt) have a Dodge roll but no Strike and AR is irrelevant without a Strike roll.

thank you, thats how I have been working spells for years. I was just wondering if there was a page in a rule book somewhere that supported this or if I just slipped into a "this seems the right way" method.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Michael Barakofsky wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:If there is a Strike Roll, there is the potential for AR to be a factor.

thank you, thats how I have been working spells for years. I was just wondering if there was a page in a rule book somewhere that supported this or if I just slipped into a "this seems the right way" method.

There's no specific page. Palladium deliberately leaves a lot of niggling details up to the GM.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Michael Barakofsky wrote:

There's no specific page. Palladium deliberately leaves a lot of niggling details up to the GM.

Well all righty then, thank you everyone for your feedback I got what I was needing.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Spells with no strike rolls can't make called shots, so they hit the main body. I would have those spells always hit the armor, unless the character has some weird armor that doesn't really cover the main body. That would be my GMm call, and why.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I only use a strike roll for magic if they are trying to target a specific area of the body or touching the target is involved for the spell to work.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “G.M.s Forum”