Tools of the trade

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Tools of the trade

Unread post by taalismn »

Anti-Vibronic Armor(AVA):
Body armor designed to resist vibroblades by sensing the vibro-frequency of the blade and countering it via a process similar to 'white noise'. Special sensors in the armor detect and analyze attacks by vibroblades and then use special sub-woofers and amps inside the armor to generate a counter-harmonic to cansel out the blade frequencies(so the first melee of attacking with a vibroblade, the 'blade does FULL damage), so the next melee the blade will do HALF damage, and the next melee after that, the blade(s) do NO damage.
Generally the system will block damage by ONE blade at a time, or blade MAKE and TYPE, provided they use the same vibro-frequencies(so if somebody wearing AVA is attacked by three Dogboys all carrying CS Vibroknives, after two melees, their blade attacks will do NO damage. On the other hand, if one of the Dogboys has a vibrosaber, with a different frequency corresponding to its different length, it will do full damage until the armor adjusts to counter it, but the AVA will lose the frequency setting for the knives, until they attack again, and the 'immune reaction' sets in again). The developers of AVA are working on developing armor that can 'remember' several sets of frequencies, allowing it to counter multiple attackers.
AVA enhancement is also effective against sonic weapons, adjusting to compensate for them as well.
While the AVA resistance field is up, the wearer is -10% to skills requiring a fine and steady hand, and -1 to Perception/Initiative, owing to bleedover from the counter-vibration shivering the person and literally rattling them.
AVA enhancement effectively increases the cost of body armor by HALF.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

That is a cool new item. I had thought about something similiar in the past, but I hadn't put it too paper.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:That is a cool new item. I had thought about something similiar in the past, but I hadn't put it too paper.

Yeah, took me 15 minutes from conception to execution(bolt of inspiration)...now I'm thinking of expanding on it as a Paladin Steel offering.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I'd like to see that expansion.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:I'd like to see that expansion.

It's up already in the Paladin Steel thread of the Rifts Forums. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Orgasmolocs---Restraint Devices

“Anata? The new prisoner restraints we acquired in the Paradise Federation? I took the liberty of locking myself into a set of them to test them. They are...effective. Related to that, there are six hours of missing surveillance footage from the equipment hold; do not be concerned. I am responsible for erasing them. Do not ask the ship’s A.I. to recover the data. The hold requires intense cleaning; you may wish to apply corrosive astringents, hard vacuum, and possibly fire. I will be in the shower running the water as cold as the system allows possible. When you are done purging the hold, please come to me...hold me...touch me...love me...help me remember who I am...”
-Rei Masaki Mustanga, Bounty Hunter, to her life-mate, after an incident with a set of orgasmolocs.

Orgasmolocs are active nueral restraint devices that were introduced to the Three Galaxies market by an as-yer-unnamed non-humanoid species with legal philosophies and attitudes clearly different from the humanoid norm. Typically incorporated into conventional restraint gear(at least in their initial law enforcement format), orgasmolocs stimulate the pleasure centers of prisoners so as to keep them blissfully distracted and less likely to attempt escape. The devices are particularly effective on certain powers and species who use states of intense focus or depression to access physical strength or metapotentials.
The standard mode is a constant relatively low-level ‘buzz’ that leaves the captive easily distracted and disoriented(save vs psionics 12 or better every minute, or be -20% to skill profficiencies and -3 to initiative/perception rolls). If the devices are tampered with, the orgasmolocs ramp up the stimulation to levels where the difference between pleasure and pain becomes virtually indistimguishable and blindingly intense, leaving the prisoner effectively unable to move(save vs psionics 12 or better every melee; failure means the person is effectively paralyzed, while a successful roll means reduce APMs to one, -50% to skill rolls, lose all perception/imitiative rolls, and HALF all physical bonuses, including Speed).
Orgasmolocs were touted when they were first introduced as ‘humane’ restraint devices and enjoyed some popularity with various law enforcement groups until the deleterious effects became known. It became soon obvious that the devices were easily abused, as their effects proved highly addictive. Constant exposure to their effects (twelve hours or more locked into them) will require a save versus M.E. or become addicted, with effects similar to alcoholism; the pleasure-addict will become morose and depressed when not blissed-out, and when locked back into the orgasmolocs, in the extreme cases may deliberately try to trigger the ‘blitz’ mode more frequently to get themselves ‘white-highed’. Abstinence and regular addiction detox is required to wean these addicts off their electronic narcotic fixation. When this side effect became known, and reports of several organizations inadvertantly(or deliberately) creating electro-stim addicts surfaced, prisoner rights advocates stepped up to protest.
Orgasmolocs have fallen from favor with the majority of their former users, and many worlds have classed them in the same category as controlled substances, with their use only mandated under closely controlled and monitored circumstances, and private possession illegal. The CCW hasn’t outlawed orgasmolocs completely, leaving it to the individual worlds to set policy, but CCW police agencies have divested themselves of the devices. The result has been a flood of the devices on the black market, among bounty hunters, fetishists, and e-addicts.
Orgasmolocs can be selectively tuned to affect most (non-MDC, carbon-based) species.
Cost: Adds 3,000 credits to the cost of a set of restraints.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

taalismn wrote:Anti-Vibronic Armor(AVA):

Hmm... In the 3Galaxies such "vibro-dampening" field is more like an anti-kinetic force field - ie. negating vibro-blades, punches, slugs, even
missiles (well partly - it will stop the missiles and even without triggering the impact fuse. However proximity and time fuses can go boom),
or at least stop the fragments - shockwave, radiation and heat damage applies, so , 25% damage from frag, half damage from AP, 75% from
HE (this includes nuclear, AM ) and full from plasma.

On the other hand, the field has MDC, and even there would be an MDC limit it can stop per attack.

IMO, of course.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

KLM wrote:Hi there!

taalismn wrote:Anti-Vibronic Armor(AVA):

Hmm... In the 3Galaxies such "vibro-dampening" field is more like an anti-kinetic force field - ie. negating vibro-blades, punches, slugs, even
missiles (well partly - it will stop the missiles and even without triggering the impact fuse. However proximity and time fuses can go boom),
or at least stop the fragments - shockwave, radiation and heat damage applies, so , 25% damage from frag, half damage from AP, 75% from
HE (this includes nuclear, AM ) and full from plasma.

On the other hand, the field has MDC, and even there would be an MDC limit it can stop per attack.

IMO, of course.

Adios
KLM

Good points. But I imagine that there might be varying levels of efficiency of the technology...and this interation isn't particularly efficient to the point where it's effectively a vibrofield in itself...otherwise the wearer of the armor would be able to (slowly) effectively CHAINSAW his way through objects in his path. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Sign Vocalator
This handy device converts sign language into vocalizations, allowing beings who do not possess the power fo speech to communicate effectively with beings who do not understand sign langauge. Worn on the chest, the small disk/medallion-shaped device uses a combination short range laser scan and motion detection system(familiar to anybody who’s used a Wii), to track limb movements and translate them into synthesized speech. Much faster than keyboarding phrases.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I like the new gear. Is there a cost to the last new device? Or is it FREE? :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:I like the new gear. Is there a cost to the last new device? Or is it FREE? :D

Depends on the society and setting. Some charge as much as 3,000 credits for the device, while others give them away as a standard communications assistance device. Rummaging around on Phaseworld, you can probably find one for the cost of a cellphone.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
bigwhitehound

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

taalismn wrote:Sign Vocalator
This handy device converts sign language into vocalizations, allowing beings who do not possess the power fo speech to communicate effectively with beings who do not understand sign langauge. Worn on the chest, the small disk/medallion-shaped device uses a combination short range laser scan and motion detection system(familiar to anybody who’s used a Wii), to track limb movements and translate them into synthesized speech. Much faster than keyboarding phrases.

NICE! It would be real handy for some races and ,of course, for the mute/deaf.
taalismn
Priest

bigwhitehound wrote:

Thanks. I do wonder, however, if somebody isn't working on something similar to it NOW. Given the convergence of small wearable computers and motion sensors, such a thing might be possible and available in the foreseeable future. Though I'd think it would most likely start with wearable 'motion instruments'(virtual squeezebox?) that would create music in response to a person's hand movements, or maybe even whole body movements with enough kinetic sensing ability. Give such a device to somebody who likes to express themselves with their hands as much as their speech, and listen to the fireworks!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
bigwhitehound

Unread post by bigwhitehound »

taalismn wrote:
bigwhitehound wrote:

Thanks. I do wonder, however, if somebody isn't working on something similar to it NOW. Given the convergence of small wearable computers and motion sensors, such a thing might be possible and available in the foreseeable future. Though I'd think it would most likely start with wearable 'motion instruments'(virtual squeezebox?) that would create music in response to a person's hand movements, or maybe even whole body movements with enough kinetic sensing ability. Give such a device to somebody who likes to express themselves with their hands as much as their speech, and listen to the fireworks!

Just make sure your movements are well planed or saying Hello could come out F**k you. :D Also what would happen if you sneezed? the sound-movement could be really interesting :-P
taalismn
Priest

bigwhitehound wrote:[
Just make sure your movements are well planed or saying Hello could come out F**k you. :D Also what would happen if you sneezed? the sound-movement could be really interesting :-P

"I was TRYING to simultaneously micmic a bird's outspread wings and create an orchestral crescendo..."
"Yes, but what you DID was communicate "I have come to strangle all of you" with accompanying battle cry. Need another hit of your pain medication?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

(Thanks to Thinyser for his suggestions and hard-stats for the molecular adhesion line option. If your PC gets nailed with that particular device, please show your appreciation to him. :P :D )

YoncaTech Trapnoid Spider Apprehension Unit

The pirate’s voice over the general comm channel was practically gloating.
“Now, now, kind sentient beings! I imagine you think your nice tricked-out little hidey-hole will allow you to hold out and maybe turn the tables on me lads, but if I can have your attention to just outside your weapons turrets, I think you’ll see some very good reasons why further resistance is del-let-terious to your cause!”
Reluctantly the besieged company security agents turned to the external monitors. There, crawling into view of the viewports, came a dozen dark arachnoid shapes, their long legs skittering them over the hull of the captured starliner. Visible in the large transparent abdomens were several forms recognizable as other passengers, now stripped naked and shackled, expressions of terror visible on their faces as they stared through the plastisteel that was the only thing standing between them and cold unforgiving hard vacuum.
“As you can see, you’re best off surrendering to me lads and I’ll walk all those reasons back into my warm safe ship! Continue to put up a fight and, well, any deaths are on YOUR heads...”

The Trapnoid is an arachnoid configuration robot drone designed for the capture and transport of living beings. Used singly or in hordes, the robots can be unleashed to track down and take down fugitives, hostages, or live specimens. The spider-like design of the ‘bot alone is often enough to induce feelings of fear and panic in its target prey, and the sight of a horde of them climbing up a building or over barricades has sent even hardened criminals with warrants on their heads into paroxysms of terror.
The Trapnoid resembles a large spider, with eight legs, a fanged head, and a large abdomen. The robot is armored in slick, dark, ceramic armor that is tough enough to shrug off most small arms fire. The eight legs give the ‘bot a high degree of mobility, while molecular grippers give it the ability to climb over obstacles, up the sides of buildings and ships, and clamper over most barriers with ease. The head contains an array of vibro-mandibles, laser cutters, and stun weapons for cutting through obstacles and subduing prey. Once the robot has tracked down and subdued its target, the stunned/restrained prisoner is transfered to a reinforced holding cage in the large abdomen pod. This cage’s walls can be rendered transparent to show its prisoner, or opaqued to help induce sensory deprivation(though some operators use this feature to parade their captives for the media or other observers).
While rumor sometimes has this spider-like robot design ascribed to a long-extinct arachnoid species, it is actually a more recent design of the Kittani, working for the Splugorth arms merchant Yongrrllyth. Naturally, many systems on the Trapnoid are knockoffs of other peoples’ work, in keeping with Yoncatech’s unspoken policy of keeping development costs down by ripping off others’ copyrights. Yongrrllyth is more than happy to encourage the ‘spider race connection’ if it boosts the sales and prestige for the design.
Though outlawed in the CCW due to restrictions on certain kinds of autonomous robots, the Trapnoid is available on the open market elsewhere where local law permits. The Trapnoid has been bought up openly by bounty hunters, some law enforcement organizations, and some research groups for trapping animals, but the ‘bots have also been acquired by various criminal groups, shadow organizations, and pirates. Though violently opposed to anything Splugorth, the TGE’s Imperial Security Agency has acquired a few as well through third parties, using them on the sly against the FWC, sending the drones to track down known rebels(or their dependents).
Type: YT-CR-14 Trapnoid
Class: Robot Drone, Apprehension/Capture Unit
Crew: Robot drone; can carry one prisoner
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 240
Prisoner Cage 100
Head/Sensor Array 80
Legs(8) 60 each
Height: 6 ft
Width: 4 ft; legs can extend out to 16 ft wide
Length: 8 ft
Weight: 1,000 lbs
Cargo: The capture pod can hold a human-sized prisoner of up to 7 ft tall(may have to be curled up to fit inside the roughly spheroid cage) or up to 800 lbs of cargo.
Physical Attributes of Note:
I.Q.: 11
P.S.: (Robotic) 40
P.P.: 18
Powerplant: Nuclear Micropack with 15 year energy life
Speed:(Running) 100 MPH
(Climbing) Thanks to the molecular adhesion pads on its feet, the Trapnoid can scamper up vertical surfaces and cling to overheads very easily.
(Leaping) Can leap 12 ft up/15 ft across from a standing position. +10 ft with a running start.
(Flying) Not possible
(Flying-Space) Fully capable of operating in space, but must cling to a hull or tether.
(Underwater) Limited to running along the bottom at 6 MPH, maximum depth of 1,000 ft.
Market Cost: 8 million credits in the Three Galaxies
Systems of Note:
Standard Robot Systems, plus:

-Standard Robot Audio, plus Amplified Hearing(can also listen through microphones in its legs to vibrations through walls and floors to track its prey).

-Inaudoble Frequency Transmission---The Traponoid can communicate with other Trapnoids(the ‘bot is smart enough to coordinate attacks with other units) via radio or by sonic frequencies inaudible to the human ear. Those with amplified earing often report hearing a hissing or buzzing from the ‘bots as they close in.

-Standard Robot Optical, plus Thermographic Imaging, Passive Night Vision/Low-Light, IR/UV Optics, Telescopic, and Video Recording.

-Motion Detector--500 ft range

*Molecular Analyzer---Gives the Trapnoid the ability to track by scent; 80%.

*Molecular Adhesion Pads----These allow the Trapnoid to climb walls and ceilings, and walk on hulls with ease.

*Bio-Sign Monitors---System used to monitor the health of prisoners. Some systems are rigged to anesthetize prisoners via IV or aerosol chemical agents.

Programming:
-Military:
Detect Ambush 75%
Detect Concealment 68%
Land Navigation 68%
Intelligence 89%
Climbing 98%
Tracking 80%
Prowl 76%
Hand to Hand: Expert(equivalent)

The ‘bot is also programmed to recognize thousands of different uniforms, body armor types, personal weapons, insignia, and munitions.

Weapons Systems:
1) Laser Fangs(2)---The two prominent ‘fangs’ of the Trapnoid are really short range lasers, used to cutting through obstacles and gunning down particularly resistant prey(or those protecting it).
Range: 2,000 ft
Damage: 3d6 MD single blast, 6d6 MD double blast(counts as one attack), 1d6x10 MD pulse blast.
Rate of Fire: ECHH
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

2) Energy Stunners(2)---In keeping with Yoncatech’s policy of copying and ripping off Naruni Enterprise’s designs whenever possible, Yongrrllyth’s Kittani engineers copied these weapons right off NE’s PA E-1000 Enforcer .
Range: 1,000 ft
Damage: Reduces the target’s Speed and Physical Prowess by 3d6 per each blast, plus lose 1 APM and -3 to all combat actions. If either attribute reaches zero, the victim collapses. Effects last 2d6 minutes per blast(half that for beings with P.E.s of 18 or better). Targets in fully sealed body armor can save versus the blasts at 14 or better. Non-supernatural beings save at 12 or better, and even on a failure, take half damage/effect. Supernatural beings are NOT affected by this weapon.
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

3) Capture Foam Sprayer---Another NE knockoff is the inclusion of this restraint foam sprayer. The Trapnoid typically uses this weapon to trap a target, then hold them while it stuns the target unconscious, then disarms/strips them, applies additional restraints, then cages them. The Trapnoid also carries a supply of the chemical needed to safely dissolve the foam.
Range: 200 ft
Damage: None. A blast of foam hardens within seconds to have 60 MDC
On a roll to strike for 12 or higher, the spray completely engulfs the target. Targets without a supernatural P.S. of 40 or higher is stuck until released. Stronger beings can break free in 1d6 melee rounds.
Rate of Fire: Two blasts per melee
Payload: 60 applications

4) Vibro-Blades---The legs mount retracting vibroblades along their length. They’re meant mainly for cutting away obstructions and disarming/disarmoring targets.
Range: Melee
Damage:+1d6 MD to melee damage

5) Drug Injector---Fang-like hypos, used for delivering a dose of drugs to
Range: Melee
Damage: 1 SDC going in, plus chemical/drug effects.
Payload: 60 doses of up to ten different chemicals/drugs

Hand to Hand Combat:
Actions/Attacks per Melee: 6
Initiative:+1
Strike: +4
+2 to strike w/ ranged weaponry
Parry:+6
Dodge:+6
Roll: +2
Pull:+4
Disarm:+4
Restrained Punch/Slap 4d6 SDC
Punch/Jab 2d4 MD
Leap Attack (takes 2 actions) 4d6 MD
Body Block 2d4 MD

Options:
*Shock Cage---This electrifies the containment cage; any attempt to break out will result in the prisoner recieving a painful electrical shock;
Light Shock: 1d4 SDC/HP
Moderate Shock: 2d6 SDC/HP
Lethal Zap: 5d6 SDC/HP, plus 01-33% chance of stunning humans, D-bees, and small animals for 1d4 melees, 01-33% against large or inhumanly strong/powerful animals. A successful save means victim takes HALF damage and only lose initiative and one APM.
Stun means -6 to strike, dodge, and parry, plus reduce APMs and Speed by HALF.
Being shocked on the strong/lethal setting for more than 5 times, or once the victim's Hit Points drop below half, means they are knocked unconscious for 2d4 melees. Chance of cardiac arrest as detailed in Rifts: Lone Star, pg. 50.
Ineffective against EBA, power armor, 'bots, and 'borgs.
Cost: +5,000 credits

*Forcefield Cage---More pirated Naruni technology; this is a containment forcefield with 160 MDC.
Cost: +200,000 credits

*Tunable Laser---This modifies the laser fangs to have SDC settings, for times when delivering a painful warning, and not vaporization, is preferable. The laser(s) can be tuned to deliver 1d6, 3d6, or 6d6 SDC damage. Cost: +3,000 credits

*Molecular Adhesion Grapple Launcher---This is affixed to the underside of the abdomen, but can be pitched backwards, over the back of the Trapnoid, or under it, aimed to clear the legs. The device fires a head with a molecular adhesion device attached to a line of ultra-tough braided monofilament line, with a high-speed winch at the anchor end. This device can be used to throw a line across open spans and distances to allow the 'bot to swing across, or to lower itself down shafts and the sides of buildings. In space, it be thrown across to a ship, spacestation, or asteroid, and used to reel the Trapnoid in(or the line can be anchored between two objects and used as a rope-way for others). The launcher can also be used offensively, thrown to tag a target and pull it in. When used such, the Trapnoid has a +1 to strike, while the target, if hit, must either be able to beat the Trapnoid's Robot P.S. to break free(takes about 1d6 melees to do so) and keep from being reeled in, or else must do 60 MD with a cutting weapon or 50 MD with an energy weapon to the adhesion head or line(not easy to do, when taking into account the fact that the Trapnoid is probably simultaneously shooting at the tagged target with its other weapons). The line can also be wrapped around a target, in which case the following penalties apply:-6 to strike and parry and lose 1/2 attacks if wrapping the arms and -6 to dodge and speed lowered to 2 if the legs are wrapped. Same means of escaping apply under these circumstances; beings with a P.S. of 40 or better can break free in 1d6 melees, or they can attempt to cut or blast their way free.
The line can support the 1800lbs of bot and captive 6 times over with a tensile strength of at least 12,000 lbs and has a winch that can pull with 3600 lbs of force. Max speed of winch is 5.
Range: 30 ft(launched under terrestrial gravity conditions). The reel has 4,000 ft of line, allowing for longer distances in space.
Cost: +55,000 credits
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

I like your Trapnoids Taal but they need a molecular adhesion grapnel. Not only to tether them to space ships and such but to help them capture prey. Mount it on the belly and it could shoot forward or reverse. Have a special nano-tech line that can wind around the target a few times then attach with the adhesive then go rigid to further restrict movement. Say -6 to strike and parry and lose 1/2 attacks if wrapping the arms and -6 to dodge and speed lowered to 2 if the legs are wrapped. Give it the same "Targets without a supernatural P.S. of 40 or higher is stuck until released. Stronger beings can break free in 1d6 melee rounds. " that you gave the spray foam. The line an only be cut by inflicting 60 MD with a cutting weapon or 50 MD with an energy weapon.

Due to the nature of the line it can only be propelled out a very short range in gravity of only 25 feet if fired horizontal 15 if fired up. In zero G or if being shot straight down while in gravity it has an effective range of 100m and can spool out to a total of 1000m (1km), handy for ship to ship crossings. The line can support the 1800lbs of bot and captive 6 times over with a tensile strength of at least 12,000 lbs and has a winch that can pull with 3600 lbs of force. Max speed of winch is 5.

You could even get really wicked and have a single dose delivery injector on the tip so that it can deliver a chemical agent like the fangs.

A miss means you have to retract it at the max of 5 feet per second this limits the attacks per melee to 2 at the most.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
taalismn
Priest

Thinyser wrote:I like your Trapnoids Taal but they need a molecular adhesion grapnel. Not only to tether them to space ships and such but to help them capture prey. Mount it on the belly and it could shoot forward or reverse. Have a special nano-tech line that can wind around the target a few times then attach with the adhesive then go rigid to further restrict movement. Say -6 to strike and parry and lose 1/2 attacks if wrapping the arms and -6 to dodge and speed lowered to 2 if the legs are wrapped. Give it the same "Targets without a supernatural P.S. of 40 or higher is stuck until released. Stronger beings can break free in 1d6 melee rounds. " that you gave the spray foam. The line an only be cut by inflicting 60 MD with a cutting weapon or 50 MD with an energy weapon..

Took your suggestion to heart, added it as an option, and fixed the blame. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

:) ...<= it said "Your message contains 2 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 5." So I had to add those ... haha
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

taalismn
Priest

Thinyser wrote::) ...<= it said "Your message contains 2 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 5." So I had to add those ... haha

You're welcome! And I upped the price of the option to 38,000 credits, since Molecular Adhesion technology(not to mention MDC line) tends to cost. It still might be rather cheap at that.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

taalismn wrote:
bigwhitehound wrote:

you mean comparable to the sleeve thing used in Congo?

i don't know if that was real or not (probably was based on a real thing), but i know there have been a number of apps that can do things like realtime translation of text, and augmented reality, so i'd not be surprised if you couldn't program something.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:[i don't know if that was real or not (probably was based on a real thing), but i know there have been a number of apps that can do things like realtime translation of text, and augmented reality, so i'd not be surprised if you couldn't program something.

Well, you combine pattern recognition software like that developed for instant facial reading and Wii-style motion sensors, and it should be possible to render signed langauge into audible speech. A lot less finicky that direct neural(or muscular) link to a sound synthesizer. :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

taalismn wrote:
Thinyser wrote::) ...<= it said "Your message contains 2 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 5." So I had to add those ... haha

You're welcome! And I upped the price of the option to 38,000 credits, since Molecular Adhesion technology(not to mention MDC line) tends to cost. It still might be rather cheap at that.

Agreed I would not have an issue with 50k-100k cr for that option.

taalismn
Priest

Thinyser wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Agreed I would not have an issue with 50k-100k cr for that option.

55,000 then. Yoncatech means to make money on this, after all, not give them away to charity. :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice. I like it. I wonder if carpet of adhesion might be able to capture one of these little beauts? Or if the micro adhesion units in the feet might be able to eliminate that little thing.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:Very nice. I like it. I wonder if carpet of adhesion might be able to capture one of these little beauts? Or if the micro adhesion units in the feet might be able to eliminate that little thing.

Carpet of adhesion ought to hold it. That's the beauty of magic; it can bypass a lot of things. And as molecular adhesion grips default to 'doesn't stick itself to stuff' rather than 'can't be stuck', it would be gripped just fine by the magic.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Thank you. I was just wondering. I appreciate your answer.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Holo-Gems
“On Kartaneous Prime, out on the fringe, this stuff is all the rage with the high-born aristocrats...they practically encrust their clothing with the things, buried in among the gold and platinum filligree, and they pay top lyam for the latest pretties from makers like Optexx. On Medetos, closer to the core worlds, it’s the uniform used by the guild prostitutes to advertise their profession and availability...which is kinda superfluous if you ask me, since the guild ‘uniform’ only consists of a pair of pasties and an adhesive panty, and most of either is just backing for the holocrystals.”

Holo-Gems are dress jewelry that is fairly popular in the Three Galaxies. These are synthetic gemstones with embedded circuitry that transforms them into miniature holographic projectors. Incorporated into larger pieces or simply skin-glued to the body, holog-gems can be pre-programmed, or activated remotely by extremely short range cell signals(for example, from a command bracelet or appropriately equipped headjack), the tiny holographic projectors can emit an optical signal into the surrounding medium(will not work in a total vacuum) and produce simple holographic images in mid-air. Image definition is not terribly great; simple images and floating text are about what the little projectors can handle. However, the projectors can be used as flashlights, flash-blinders(with effects similar to the spell ‘Blinding Flash’), or to mimic energy blasts/magic spells.
Size: Range from nickle-sized to 4 inches long.
Range: Up to 25 ft before the image signal begins to fade with distance.
Battery Life: The miniature dime-sized power cells typically have a constant use lifespan of 6-8 hours before needing replacement/recharging.
Cost: 30-450 credits a piece, depending on size, detailing, and image capabilities.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice. I can think of some military uses for this sort tech. And some unscrupulous uses too. Any idea of the corporations that might make this product? Or has it become one of those techs everyone is making?

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Roto-Glove Tool
Whhhhiiirrrrrrrrrrrrr....
"OH NO!NOT THE GLOVE!"
"That's right! You're going to hand-buff my ENTIRE four hundred foot staryacht! Mwahahahahahaha!!"

This tool resembles a thick glove or thin gauntlet with what look like multiple small rotating brush-heads on the inside edge of the fingers and palm. A battery powers the rotating brush heads at variable speeds. The Roto-Glove is used variously for polishing and washing objects, but it has also been used for massage-therapy, amusement(tickling) or torture(or tickle-torture).
GM notes: Trying to do delicate work aside from rubbing and polishing with the rotors going is nearly impossible(-20%), and unless a weapon has oversized grips and triggerguards, accurately holding a gun and shooting with the glove on is at -2 to strike.
Fitting the rotary heads with wire-stiff bristles and setting the glove at maximum speed will do 1d4 SDC abrasion damage per melee to soft objects(like somebody's face).
Using very soft bristles may add a +5% to a Seduction/Interrogation roll if the user is trying for tickle-torture on a victim(GM's call).
Cost: 400 credits; bristle heads cost generally 10-60 credits for a complete change set depending on their purpose and stiffness.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Smiling_Bandit wrote:The sign language glove ya'll were discussing earlier are already real.

LINK to a youtube video showing one version. Not sure if it has hit retail yet or not.

Smiling_Bandit - Figures a lot of great inventions are the related to hamburgers in one fashion or another

Yeah, I sorta figured that something akin to what I posted already existed or was about to exist...kinetic motion sensors have been around for a while, and similar systems have already been linked to sound synthesizers to create 'kinetic music'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is another quirky device. I think thep rice is right for purchasing. I will take two please.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Anti Lip-reader System: The ALS is a dual piece blue-tooth sized and shaped device used in security/espionage fields to prevent, well, people reading their lips. Put one piece in each ear, and it uses a scanner that maps out their face and casts a hologram of alternate words/expressions to fool others. This was put out from the Hartigal Combine, after a few attempted break ins were determined to be the work of lip-reading thieves. This unit comes with a micro power-cell good for 24 hours of continuous use, along with an E-clip adaptor and wall socket charger. Cost: Starts at 2,500 credits, can be more expensive with more options, built in radio/phone, vocal scrambler, extended lifespan, adapted to helmet/head-band/earrings/collar, etc.
Last edited by Roscoe Del'Tane on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
taalismn
Priest

Hmmm...Programmed by New Hong Kong movie dubbers for that classic 'out of synch' look? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Hmmm...Programmed by New Hong Kong movie dubbers for that classic 'out of synch' look? :D

Got it in one! It was actually inspired when I finally saw 2001 all the way through, and thought this might be a good item to have, and would be so much more inconspicuous than a surgeons mask/bandanna/etc.

Cultural Assistant Program: An add-on to the A.I. Buddy, this item can be loaded with information on up to 10 foreign cultures and religions, to give a temporary 85% skill in that culture/religion. The CAP won't take over what you say and do, so much as it tells you before you speak or act if said actions/speech would be offensive; and if you blunder into a cultural minefield, it will give options on the best way for you to get out without causing MORE offense (a polite way of saying, "Sorry, I done goofed; total accident, not on purpose"). 2,500 credits for a basic pack with three cultures/religions on it (can be chosen off of a list, or choose from a pre-loaded program), with additional cultures a 750 credit charge to add.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
taalismn
Priest

Parasite Cam---A surveillance technology rumored to be available from the T'Zee, parasite cams start out as nanotech-modified parasitic organisms that are introduced to a victim through skin contact, food, or drink. Once in the body, the long worm-like parasites(similar to those responsible on Earth for 'river blindness', gravitate towards the eyes and brain. The nanite-infected ones, however, once they reach their targets, die off without making the victim ill, but not before depositing the nanite packages, which go to work constructing a mini-optical array on the host's optical nerve, as well as an attached micro-transmitter and antennae(typically a micro-wire to the ear, where another nanite package has created an audio sensor attached to the host's eardrum). Once established, the parasite cam turns the host into an unwitting surveillance array, the tiny micro-station picking up what the host sees and hears, then, powered by the host's own bio-electrical energy, transmitting the information via low-powered signal(maximum range is 5 miles). The only thing the host-victim feels is a slight tingling and possible headache while the surveillance array is constructing itself. Depending on the model(and the rumor), the array lasts only ten days before breaking down and being flushed out of the body, or else it can become permanent.
The array can be detected only by a very close medical scan(although some models are said to be detectable simply by their interference with retinal scan biometric security measures), and possibly by the low-powered signals emanating from the person(some models are said to have built-in memory, and will only transmit their acquired data when prompted by a short-range active signal, remaining passive until triggered). Removal is by remedial medical nanosurgery, eye surgery, or magical purification.
Cost: Unknown. The T'zee deny the existence of this technology, and anybody else rumored to have it isn't talking, but rumors constantly circulate of the technology available for sale(typically for exorbitant prices).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice. I think these devices are very cool. Thank you for sharing them. I will have to create something when I am not as busy.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Zeus Electro Gauntlets: designed as a non-lethal alternative to the Forearm-Integrated Weapon Systems used by the military, these are essentially fist mounted Tasers, with a reach of 50 feet. On a normal, adult human, the ZEG covers the entire hand, and most of the forearm, and weighs less than a pound (while a bit cumbersome, you will quickly adapt to the weight). The gauntlet is usually put on the non-dominant hand to allow the user full use of their primary hand, and also doubles as a dandy set of brass knuckles in a fight. Made out of lightweight and low level M.D.C. material, it allows the user to punch most objects with impunity (though not electrified or super-heated items) adding 1d6 to all punches and slaps with that hand.

The ZEG houses a micro-laser between the middle and ring finger knuckles, and upon activation, fires a low-powered beam at the target, creating an ionized path for the electrical discharge to follow. Each strike by the electricity does the same type of stunning effect as a neural mace, but can be scaled up to down depending on the target and the type of resistance they can muster (obviously, a child wouldn't need very much, but an angry Juicer would need one WHALE of a jolt to knock him down). The laser, while powerful, is not intended as a weapon, doing only 2d4 S.D.C. damage attack.

Cost: 2,500 credits, though it can be built/retrofitted into a bionic/cybernetic arm for an additional fee.
Availability: Fair to good, while originally created by the Hartigal Combine, it was quickly copied and is being reproduced by Bandito Arms and half a dozen other weapons manufacturers.
M.D.C.: 15, if your reduced to parrying or blocking with this, your indeed in deep trouble.
Range: 50 feet for the Taser, 75 for the laser.
Payload: 25 shots, takes one standard E-Clip. Unfortunately, the receptacle is buried in the middle of the gauntlet, and takes two melee rounds to open the ZEG, replace the spent clip, and close everything back up.

The Grav-Sweeper is another Hartigal Combine produced item, and is a combination broom, metal detector, and electromagnet. It looks like the stereotypical metal detector (long metal rod with a handle full of knobs, dials, and fiddly-bits, and a flat circular head), though this one is collapsible, and can be used to pick up more than ferrous objects. The 'head' of the Grav-Sweeper uses gravity waves to attract or repel objects its aimed at, and can even support the weight of a full grown man (about 250 pounds) without difficulty. Useful for picking up loose-change, small but important items that roll/fall behind heavy equipment, retrieving recalcitrant cats, sneaking food, etc.

Price: 1,500 credits for a basic unit, can cost up to ten times that depending on the upgrades you choose.
Availability: So far, this remains a Hartigal Combine item
Range: 30 feet for a standard unit, can be beefed up to 120 foot range.
Payload: Typically carries two standard E-Clips as power, but can easily take Long E-Clip; for a fee it can bee given a power cable that can be hooked up to a generator or power armor/bionic characters. Each E-Clip gives the Grav-Sweeper half an hour of use, an E-Clip double time, and essentially unlimited power if running off a wall socket or power armor/bionics
Sensors: Has basic PA scanners (though limited to 20 feet), but can be upgraded to the users needs at will.
M.D.C.: 2, while its made out of m.d.c. materials, its not intended as a weapon, its an exploration and retrieval tool.
Size: A normal Grav-Sweeper at full extension is 3.5 feet long, about an inch thick along the shaft, has a six inch rounded-disc on one end, and a 3 inch wide by four inch long box/grip on the other. It can be collapsed and folded to about ten inches long (even comes with a convenient hip/thigh carrying case).

Scent Blaster: A device that the Coalition States has recently begun producing is a synthetic scent system designed to fight the claustrophobia produced by long term armor and bionic use. Whenever the user is getting too stressed and are in an environment where they cannot safely remove their head-gear (ie, under water, in combat, high altitudes, radioactive environment, etc), the system gives them a gentle puff of air carrying a calming scent. Each user is given a psych eval and scent testing, and their Scent Blaster will be loaded with the smells that do the best job in calming them down.

So far, no other group is known to use this, but it has proven very effective at fighting off claustrophobia, homesickness, and reducing PTSD in most soldiers, due to scent being the sense closest linked to memory. The eval and testing is to find the smells most closely linked to GOOD memories, ones that will help suppress the unpleasant memories and emotions the user is currently feeling.

The first two are some ides that I've been kicking around for a while, and thought that you guys might enjoy. The ZEG sounds like somehting that the police a security guards would like to have, so they have a weapon that can't be easily taken away and is non-lethal, while the Grav-Sweeper is something that I would give my eye-teeth for. It seems every time I turn around, theres something that I need that's just out of reach, or jammed into a little crack, etc. The last is just a little something I came up with after listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXBTM6viIU

taalismn
Priest

Love the Grav-Sweeper and the Scent-Blaster. Quality of life devices indeed! 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are cool ideas. I know I am looking forward to reading more of them.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Just three ideas at the moment, hope you guys enjoy!

Apocalypse Launcher-90: A new release from the Hartigal Combine, this is a modified close-quarters automatic rifle that has altered to launch grenades. Based off of the ancient P-90 from the Golden Age of Man, it has been re-chambered, upgraded in materials, and had hyper-efficient electromagnets installed in the barrel for propellant. The AL-90 has proven very popular with many police and S.W.A.T. teams, as it allows non-lethal means to take down rioters and perps, with the option for lethal action if required. Some AL-90's have specialty clips, designed to fire grappling hooks and tow-cables, other altered payloads should also be considered. At least a dozen have been given over to Forest Services as a forest fire fighting tool (making fire breaks) on a jungle planet.

The AL-90 can be used as a standard rifle (read, direct fire) in close quarters combat in a pinch. The AL-90 has a two stage safety, first click prevents the weapon from firing, second prevents the grenade from arming, letting the user bean people with grenades in an emergency (make sure you police your brass after firing though). The clip typically holds 9 grenades (can be of any standard type sold by Hartigal Combine or Naruni) and includes the E-Clip to power the launcher; extended clips can hold anywhere from 12-18 grenades, but impose a -2 and -4 to strike while in use, as they unbalance the gun.

Rate of Fire: Single shot, and three round burst. Magazine can be replaced in two melee actions
Range: Up to 750 feet at max power (little to no arcing at this extreme range though, acts more like a rifle), can be used to drop 'death from above' at closer ranges (250-300 feet) by arcing the rounds behind cover.
Damage: 2d4x10 S.D.C. damage from rounds impacting a target, plus whatever the grenade carries as payload.
Cost: 10,000 credits, comes with three magazines and a recharging station/adaptor. Additional clips cost 200 credits a piece.
Note: Each clip is a little smaller than the average 2-Liter bottle of soda, so reloads are going to be big and bulky, remember that while packing this weapon.

Smart Weave and Nano-Rouge: Hair and make-up for people who want to look good, but don't want to take the time to keep themselves well-groomed and dolled up. Essentially, its a cybernetic implant(s) that allows the user to get their hair (replaced with low level M.D.C. simulacra) and makeup (implanted under their skin) done in a flash by uttering a code-word. Within two melee rounds, their hair will be arraigned in the designated style, and their makeup will be flawless. Cost is 2,500 credits, and each can store up to a dozen styles with ease. Each counts as one cybernetic implant.

Quantum-Composter: Another fine Hartigal Combine product, this one is typically used by settlers and explorers, especially if they are unsure of the soil quality where they are headed. Essentially, the QC takes organic refuse (table scraps, leaves, dirt, human and animal waste, etc.) and turns it into a variety of manures and topsoils over a short period (typically 2d4 hours). Compost and soil produced in this have all toxins, bacteria, and chemicals stripped from it, save those that are programmed in. Once the compost has been extruded (in sacks/cubes produced by the QC), all excess matter is also produced in separate containers, marked with their chemical names.

The QC looks rather like a 10x3x3 foot trough that's covered and with a raised lip; matter goes in one end, and compost comes out the other. The QC comes standard with a high-density and long lasting solar screen to power it, as well as a multi-port adaptor for a direct power feed, and a computer terminal allowing the user to custom tailor the desired output. One Quantum-Composter typically costs 20,000 credits, and has a 100 year full repair or replacement guarantee for normal usage.

taalismn
Priest

Quantum Composter---Thundercloud-ready! :ok:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice. I like them all. The last one could be used by people who need to get rid of say......... a body. :D

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Aramanthus wrote:Very nice. I like them all. The last one could be used by people who need to get rid of say......... a body. :D

Indeed, and they would make quite excellent fertilizer; brings to mind the old saying "buying the farm", to reference somebody dying. It could very well be changed to 'took a job as a composter', or 'became a farm assistant' on some of the more lawless frontier worlds. Make the jobs of the cops and CSI techs a nightmare, "They SAY that old Jebadiah got sauced and fell into the Quantum Composter, but there's nothing left but grade A sod, nothing I can do chief." Heck, they might even turn it into the ultimate example of recycling. Make a big spectacle about the deceased being lowed into the trough during the funeral, and then send those gathered home with a tiny bag of the deceased to strengthen their own gardens. And criminals could be pitched in still kicking instead of wasting money on bullets or electricity!

And now, for something that's been rattling around in my head for the past 2-3 years, and finally congealed. Behold!

Nano-Morphic Read Only Devices: These tools look like a generic item (chosen before buying) that can be easily kept on your person, and used as a surprise/last ditch/survival tool or weapon. Common choices are bracelets, necklaces, pendants, 'broken' pocket watches, etc. The N.M.R.O.D. (hereafter referred to as the Nimrod) can be metal, plastic, or ceramic, and look like the average every day trinket until put into use.

When triggered (by psionic or verbal command, or physical manipulation of certain pressure points) the Nimrod will unfold into its alternate form within two melee actions. The Nimrod can expand into a variety of forms, usually a knife or small axe, (though the only imitations are the buyers imagination, size, and lack of moving parts). A bracelet or bracer could make a formidable knife, but not an axe or sword, while a cane wouldn't have the same limitations. One enterprising individual had their dreadlocks capped with a series of Nimrods, and was able to turn them into arrow and axe heads, another had a forearm brace for 'injuries from the war' that could turn into a kukri.

While useful, they have limitations, they are made of ultra-lightweight M.D.C. materiel, and any weapons will have a molecular edge, but they won't be able to deal M.D.C. damage. Also, they are no good for armor, as each Nimrod has only a handful of M.D.C. (2d6+3 for large items, 1d4 otherwise), and are also rather expensive and hard to come by. Aside from their booth on Center, the Nimrod can only be purchased from certain Hartigal Combine facilities.

Price: Each Nimrod costs a flat 10,000 credits per unit, whether that be a pair of earning, or a leg cast.
Weight: Generally less than one-tenth what the standard item would be due to the lightweight allows and composites.
Damage: Edged weapons due the same damage that an excellent quality weapon would, blunt weapons do half to 2/3 damage, as the weight to truly use the weapon to max effect simply isn't there. All damage is S.D.C.. unless the wielder has an ability that would change that.
Duration: Once the secondary form has been triggered, it will stay that way until it is triggered again (may be different areas for the pressure point choice).
Payload: Each unit has enough on board energy to change to weapon form and back 10 times before needing a recharge. Recharging required to enclose the item in a special bag/box (depends on items size), then hooked up to an E-Clip/generator/walk socket for 2-3 hours. Once charged, the unit will maintain its morphic abilities for an undetermined amount of time (record is 230 years holding a charge, but it's recommended to do so more often)

Limitations: While the Nimrod is size and mass challenged, nearly any hand tool can be made, so long as it isn't motorized. Hand saws, hammers (or at least the heads), drills, screw-drivers, hedge clippers, can all be made so long as the base form is large enough. Alternatively, if you have enough Nimrods, you could piece together a large tool, though you run the risk of being unable to use it if some of the pieces are lost. Also, if choosing verbal commands, the Nimrod will change no matter WHO says it, so you might not want to be wearing it, choosing a nonsense phrase and or using a little known language is also advised. It is also ill advised to have clothing, hats, or shoes be a Nimrod, as the wearer tends to forget them.

taalismn
Priest

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:[Nano-Morphic Read Only Devices: .

"The Wristband With Attitude." 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Brain Scrubber
(aka ‘Forget-Me-Box’, ‘Cabinet of Lethe’, ‘Brainwashing Machine’)

“She ready to go? Put her in! Oh, quit squirming! It will be over before you know it! It will be as if this all never happened! Oh, what? You think we’re going to KILL you? Please, too little beauty and innocence in the world to casually destroy it, angel, and that includes you. We’re just going to make you forget everything that happened here and that you ever saw us. Now, in you go.”*click*

This steamer trunk-sized psi-tech device is used to wipe the minds and erase the memories of living beings placed inside it. Using a combination of psylite-enhanced psi-tek, EM neural-effectors, and technowizardry, the device allows the operator to permanently erase entire blocs of memory, and even insert false ones.
To operate, a patient/prisoner/victim is pushed into the padded inner compartment and clamped inside, and the box closed and locked around them. A combination of psi-tek and technowizardry activates and induces a state of sensory deprivation, with an accelerated subjective sense of time. Then embedded psionics and neural-positronics erase the short-term memory of the person, and can then implant false memories in their place.
Generally a full neural-scrub and reformatting will take 20-60 minutes, depending on the depth of the brain-scrub and the sophistication of the cover memories implanted.
If necessary, two or more Brain Scrubbers can be linked to allow the prisoners to be imprinted with false memories of the SAME event, as seen from different perspectives, or to fake coordinated interaction between them(they remember having dinner together, when they were really watching in horror as an assassination went down).
The main advantages of the Brain-Scrubber over a live psychic is that permanent memory erasure/deep implantation is possible without permanent sacrifice of an attending psychic’s M.E. points, as if normal. The variety of spells used to impose effects combine synergistically to overwhelm the mental defenses of a subject, giving them little chance of fighting erasure. The device can also be used to more thoroughly implant false memories, with fewer inconsistencies and possible ‘holes’ that a person might remember.

Though extremely useful for special operations, extreme psychiatry, and criminal activities, the size and cost of the Brain Scrubber makes it inconvenient for all but the larger organizations to own and operate. Some corporations use the devices to protect corporate secrets(erasing key information from discharged employees), while some elite (and more ethical) espionage assassination teams go to the trouble of lugging around Brain Scrubbers to process innocent bystanders who may have witnessed things they shouldn’t have. The time needed to pull off a full erasure, and the encumbrance of the large device make it also poorly suited for quick and covert raids, especially if multiple persons have to be brain-scrubbed.

There are rumors that some BrainScrubbers have been modified with Splugorth biotech to RECORD memories of scrubbees, even as their memories are being wiped, as a hedge against knowledge being lost. These memories are supposedly stored on crystal or biological(modified neural tissue held invitro) memory devices and can be implanted, via Instill Knowledge/Memory Bank into another person or played back to the original person, restoring their memories.

Weight: 200 lbs
Size: Steamer Trunk- or cabinet-sized, roughly 5 ft long and 3 ft wide/tall.
Incorporated Psi-Tek:(all equivalent to 10th level)
-Mind Wipe(10 ISP/5 PPE temporary, 50 PPE permanent)
-Induce Sleep(4 ISP/2 PPE)
Incorporated Spells:(all equivalent to 10th level):
-Charm(12)
-Domination(10)
-Instill Knowledge(15)
-Memory Bank(12)
-Compulsion(20)
-Hallucination(30)

-Sensory Deprivation(50)

Effects:
-Memory Erasure---Temporary Mind Wipe of an event, knowledge, person or skill; 1d4 days per 5 PPE spent, and takes 4 minutes, and can be done without extensive preparation of the subject.
-Permanent erasure takes 50 PPE, 20-60 minutes, depending on the depth of the brain-scrub and the sophistication of the cover memories implanted, and the prisoner must be stripped down(for somatic sensors and affectors) before being locked in place.

Saves: Prisoners of the device are -8 to save on their saving throws to retain their memories.

Systems of Note:
*Megadamage Casing---Typically 60 MDC
*Bio-Monitor---Used to monitor the health and brain activity of a subject inside the device
*Drug Injection System---Supplements the magic systems with drugs.
*Basic Life Support----Good for 8 hours of sensory deprivation
*PPE Battery---Typically has a PPE capacity of 150, though PPE batteries or generator matrices can be attached as needed, and attending mages/psychics can pump in their own PPE/ISP if so needed.
Cost: 1.3 million credits
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

This one is a bit patchy in places, but hopefully it comes across clear enough (stupid muse, getting me out of bed to write up ideas :badbad: !). Hope you guys enjoy this new toy! :-) ;)

Memory Chips/Crystals*: The idea behind this new innovation comes from the Hartigal Combine, as a new safety measure for when they bring in consultants and testers into secure facilities; they can get honest, truthful answers without needing to compromise their security arrangements or worrying about the participant selling secrets to the competition.

On most humanoids, the MCC's are put into a helmet, headband, or tiara like device (needs to be in close proximity to the brain to do its job), and needs to be specifically tailored to the species and gender of the user. Using a MCC set up for incompatible species or genders will inflict a massive headache after two melee rounds, and start to burn through I.Q points (in game) at a rate of 1d4 per melee round, so make sure you know what you parents were. The MCC's work by diverting the short term memory of the user and storing them in the Chips/Crystals, preventing them from being processed into long-term memories (essentially giving mechanically/magically induced short-term amnesia without any nasty side effects).

Each properly calibrated and designed MCC can be used for up to 6 hours before needing to be removed, and has its own internal power supply good for three times that. Once deactivated, the MCC should not be used again for at least 18 hours to allow the brain a chance to 'reset' and make sense of the time acclimate to 'loosing' a big chunk of time (and to allow the strain on the thought processes to ease). When in use, the Crystals or Chips will light up with green lights upon first activation, and slowly progress to yellow, orange, red, and finally a prismatic rainbow after the time limit has exceeded recommended time. If the wearer is rendered unconscious, the MCC will automatically turn off.

Attempting to cut this rest period short will result in one insanity check for every half hour shaved off of the 'rest' period, failure means the character will develop over the course of several months either a phobia or fascination with mind-control/wiping abilities. This obsession or phobia will be deeply rooted and seriously difficult to remove, even with professional help and a willing subject. A second phobia comes as part of the standard package, pertaining to those trying to help the afflicted person; obviously 'they' are trying to sabotage their efforts to perfect/acquire/destroy the items.

Each MCC can be reused up to 20 times (assuming a full 6 hour course) before it needs to be replaced. Due to the complexity and fragility of the spells/circuitry, each Crystal or Chip cannot be reused, though using it as a memory viewing device is still valid.

This is the last, and the most sinister use of the MCC, the computers that calibrate for species and gender, can access and play back any thoughts that they user might have had while wearing the MCC. While this won't be good for things like defense layouts or schematics (or at least, not directly), surprisingly useful information can be pieced together from even just the average surface thoughts of a MCC user. It takes a technician trained in the use of this sophisticated program to do this, and is very time consuming, taking 1d4+2 times as long as the memories being viewed for everything to indexed, cross-referenced, flagged, and sorted.

Cost: 2.5 million for the computer to calibrate and read the MCC, 250,000 credits per MCC unit (10% discount on bulk orders of 50 or more units).
Size: Roughly the same size as the average baseball cap in its standard configuration, but can be set up to look like any reasonably sized head unit. For extra large or small heads, units can be custom ordered or a fee.
Weight: Less than half a pound, plus whatever the headgear its inserted into.
Durability: Very fragile, only 15 S.D.C., and cannot be built into anything more durable than the average Real Life construction Hard-Hat. Attacks to the head/unit do damage to both, with no reduction to either.

* The units function just fine as either magical Crystals, or as super-science Chips, they just sell the appropriate version to the recipient.

taalismn
Priest

Ouch...yeah, I had psylite memory recall implants for people with brain damage...worked to reclaim 'resident quantum resonance' of lost memories rather than rely on damaged or destroyed biochemical chains. Messing with memories can get tricky.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice items. I like the last one. gives you an excuse to have a chip on your shoulder. :lol:

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

PhaseBall
Phaseballs are glowing spheres, ranging from tennis ball-sized to exerciseball-sized, that behave just like ordinary balls with regards to laws of momentum, inertia, and gravity, except that they can effortlessly fly THROUGH solid materials. However, they can be caught by 'conscious matter', i.e. living organic beings or inorganic beings who actively wish/will to catch/hit the spheroids. 'Dumb' matter, like walls, windows, trees, and the like, simply provide no barrier to the phaseball.
While this would seem to be a recipe for disaster, for carrying weapons and pathogens through solid matter, phaseballs CANNOT be used in this manner. No amount of trying to paint or implant anything in or on a phaseball will prove effective.
Forcefields, gravity gradients, and psychic abilities CAN stop and affect phaseballs as well.
This makes phaseballs nothing much more than a novelty and curio, but the items are finding some use in sports, such as in 'Thru-Wall Tennis', and sports across environmental barriers(such as the recent Lurgess-Table Pong Tournaments).
It isn't known where phaseballs originate; most people assume they come from Phaseworld and are a creation of the Prometheans. In fact, the phaseballs are distributed by Nukkar Novelties, a Noro-owned toy company that is importing the 'balls from another universe, where they are apparently a natural phenomena(CEO Rulbar Nukkar's family, all pyschics, have checked the phaseballs for signs of awareness or malign energies, but have found none).
Cost: 500 credits per ball for the smaller ones, up to 2,000 credits for the larger ones.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”