Kingdom Building

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Kingdom Building

Unread post by dragonfett »

Is there any material (official or not) that deals with kingdom building in the Phase World setting? I'm looking at picking up Star Empires for Starfinder otherwise.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
taalismn
Priest

Re: Kingdom Building

Unread post by taalismn »

I made Random Interstellar Kingdoms charts...It's not a build-by-point, but random roll, but it can give you a start on what to look for in a galactic polity.
http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=124225
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DD The Shmey
Explorer

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

I really enjoy kingdom building in the phaseworld/space opera setting, especially space ships, equipment, and planets. It's been a hobby of mine since 2000. Typically I will write 5-15 pages on each faction using some some short hand notation for space ships. I just took a bit of time and looked through all of the word documents and I have created 42 factions and written 285 pages worth over the last 20 years.

When I create factions, I never really use a random generator or anything, I just get some ideas in my head and start putting it down on paper. Taalisman, I've looked at your interstellar kingdom charts before, and I do like them. I've thought about making a header at the top of each of my factions where I pick the categories out of your lists that most closely fit my factions, and use that as a nice quick summary/introduction to the factions.

Another excellent source for faction building that gives them a lot of flavor is Stars Without Number (although i hate to promote a non-palladium product on this forum). Their is even a random sector generator using their rules found online called sectorswithoutnumber that is a phenomenal resource.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Indeed...World/kingdom building, whether with a deliberate design already in mind, or randomly rolling one, then trying to figure out how some combinations would work, work out, or have come to be, can be real exercises of imagination, especially when certain aspects seem to contradict each other.

Then again, you can look at RL and see plenty of examples where politics and human nature create even crazier contradictions....fantasy fiction has to run hard to catch up.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

DD The Shmey wrote:Another excellent source for faction building that gives them a lot of flavor is Stars Without Number (although i hate to promote a non-palladium product on this forum). Their is even a random sector generator using their rules found online called sectorswithoutnumber that is a phenomenal resource.

This is a great source for all kinds of ideas and has really become my favorite, non-Palladium, RPG to read. I would also recommend Skyward Steele for anyone who is trying to create a space fleet for a faction.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Thank you guys!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”