Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®: Dimension Books

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:49 pm

Priest

SolCannibal wrote:

Or lead to the formation of some special security cadre of sorts, specially if concerns over potential infernal infiltration threats rises to the fore, leading to a climate of increased vigilance.

Just a thought or two.

An adventure scenario might be the chronically-underfunded meta-response department of some remote Golgan outpost, staffed with rejects and underperformers from other bureaus.....finds themselves as the first line of difference against an unexpected paranormal threat to the Republik(and potentially the entire Anvil galaxy)...Nobody higher-up believes them, at least not in time to do any good, so they're effectively on their own.

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:21 am

Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

Or lead to the formation of some special security cadre of sorts, specially if concerns over potential infernal infiltration threats rises to the fore, leading to a climate of increased vigilance.

Just a thought or two.

An adventure scenario might be the chronically-underfunded meta-response department of some remote Golgan outpost, staffed with rejects and underperformers from other bureaus.....finds themselves as the first line of difference against an unexpected paranormal threat to the Republik(and potentially the entire Anvil galaxy)...Nobody higher-up believes them, at least not in time to do any good, so they're effectively on their own.

Ironically, a surprise attack from the Rynncryyl Kingdom, where some of the governors seem to have considered such a move as "easy targets to drum up morale & practice", maybe bolstered by some deals of the moment with one or both infernal powers in the Minion War (or stragglers of their forces) seems like a quite feasible possibility.

And for no particular reason that i can guess, i keep imagining the meta-response department as a mix of Lexx and Red Dwarf in a derelict possibly older than the Dominator War.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:58 am

Priest

SolCannibal wrote:
[
And for no particular reason that I can guess, i keep imagining the meta-response department as a mix of Lexx and Red Dwarf in a derelict possibly older than the Dominator War.

"We still haven't found the restrooms on this thing."
"Then where are we supposed to-"
"Be really careful when pushing the 'flush' lever. Make damn sure it's the one with the 'flush' painted on it. The other lever also flushes, but it flushes the whole airlock into vacuum."

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:32 am

Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
[
And for no particular reason that I can guess, i keep imagining the meta-response department as a mix of Lexx and Red Dwarf in a derelict possibly older than the Dominator War.

"We still haven't found the restrooms on this thing."
"Then where are we supposed to-"
"Be really careful when pushing the 'flush' lever. Make damn sure it's the one with the 'flush' painted on it. The other lever also flushes, but it flushes the whole airlock into vacuum."

"Welcome to the station, private. Based on your records you have been picked to be our new chief gunner."

"Bu-but i was a stock clerk, i've never held a gun outside of training, what to say of capital ship weapons!"

"Immaterial, Golgan. Your medical records show you possess advanced sight & hearing, making you the only one outside the bridge officers capable of reading and listening to the interface's displays for our Zebuloid gunners and direct. Ergo, jellyfish herding duties are yours now. You also get a translator."

"Madam, Zebuloids speak our language, that's kind of insensiti...."

"The interface, private. You have to understand it to respond correctly to it."

"It's not on Golgan?!"

"No, and it refuses to accept reprogramming or new language packages. How experienced with sign language or mime performance are you? Do you know how to dance?"

The duo reach a room and the door slide open. Within one can see what somewhat resembles a bridge and a peculiar square platform with a garishly colored pattern of symbols utterly alien to the baffled young golgan clerk in front of a screen. Perched close by one may see what seems like the unholy lovechild of a macaw with a peacock spider, that ruffles itself upon their arrival. "Reporting and awaiting for duty, custodians."

"Custodians?" The younger golgan mumbles.

"The natives see us as caretakers for the proprietors."

"Proprietors? And natives from where?!"

"The station, it's a holy land according to them. Long story, leave chatting for the canteen. Now it's time for your crash course in breakdancing with cannons."

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:25 am

Priest

THAT.....is the beginning of one psychotic adventure...

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:39 pm

Champion

taalismn wrote:
THAT.....is the beginning of one psychotic adventure...

Like the most entertaininig ones are. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:08 pm

Champion

Reminds me of a comment made by a ship captain in one of Ms. Moon's Space Operas...
She stated that a captain she used to be under had all the ship's weapons keyed to sound as instruments in an orchestra...so he could tell by the missing sounds what weapons were damaged or off-line.

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Priest

Borast wrote:
Reminds me of a comment made by a ship captain in one of Ms. Moon's Space Operas...
She stated that a captain she used to be under had all the ship's weapons keyed to sound as instruments in an orchestra...so he could tell by the missing sounds what weapons were damaged or off-line.

"LISTEN TO MY CONCERTO OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!!!! BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 pm

Champion

And now that i've had my fun, let me give show a little of the method/sense to my insanity.

First off, coming up for a reason for an average Golgan bureaucrat, to end up in a sort military command position he's utterly unsuited for (Golgans can't start as men-at-arms according to Anvil Galaxy and i do count pilots or gunners among those, though not 100% certain of that).
So, our stock officer that ends up as the station's chief-gunner by virtue of being one of the few who's not blind and deaf to the system interface used by the original builders. Just the kind of thing that would like an awesome edge on paper to many a xenophobic golgan politico, but far less so when you are the paper-pusher suddenly finding itself as gun jockey.

But...while fine, dandy and obviously helpful, being able to see and hear something on itself doesn't have to mean you understand what is being said or displayed on screen - and there comes the importance of an interpreter, to help you make sense of the foreign words & characters, not to mention speak correctly (what in some cases one might be biologically incapable of).
And there comes in the peculiar non-humanoid alien in its perch, my admitedly surreal on the concept of Red Dwarf's Cat, the last member of a sapient race evolved from the abandoned pets of the station builders after millions of years on their own (and with some tweaking by the AI to help it with some internal issues).

The mime performance/Dance Dance Revolution set up, much like elements of the intepreter's appearance, was inspired by non-verbal communication methods, such as the courtship dances of peacock spiders or the flying gyrations & dance code coreographies of many bee species.
More than once i have inserted miming & dancing languages - what imho makes considerable more sense than things like pheromone communication, that might be interefered by something as simple being downwind or the beating of their wings, in flying insectoids such as the Xiticix - for sapient arthropods in games based on this and i brought up an interface conceived with that in mind too as a little personal joke.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:11 pm

Priest

Worlds GNE/USA Personnel have received Peerage Titles/Land Grants

“For an egalitarian democratic corporate state, we sure have a lot of knights, earls, barons, lords, dukes, princes, princesses, and even some kings and queens on our payroll.”

“My full title, if you must know, is Technical Sergeant Zelmo Zale, Greater New England Regular Army, United Systems Alliance Joint Command, Holder of the Stainless-Silver Trench Digger, Stone-Layer of Mezni, Master Builder of the Populduct and Earl of Cadover.”

These are worlds where active duty United Systems Alliance personnel have been gifted with (more than merely honorary*) titles, usually as a reward for saving the locals. Such gifting has been seen as a way of securing the planet’s/kingdom’s security by tying its fortunes more securely to the Alliance, and giving the technologically/magically-superior USA personnel a personal stake in securing the future security and prosperity of the kingdom. These worlds tend to have neofeudal/neobarb cultures, available openings/gaps in their aristocratic society(usually as a result of whatever crisis caused to the GNE/USA to get involved in the first place), and/or open land to spare.

(*Most notably, worlds such as Skenzia and Paloi award honorary knighthoods and citizenship to the worthy, but these come without land titles or property)

-Ilovona(Protectorate)----Attempted coup thwarted by GNE solders; the young GNE-educated King is seeking to replace the ousted conspirators’ titled ranks with more progressive GNErs willing to uplift the kingdom.

-Dahaz(Protectorate)---- Local tyrant and his pet monster overthrown almost by accident. GNE diplomat declared the new king and several of his companions by extension become local nobility.

-Kaldia/New Providence(Protectorate)----Local neobarb uprising/invasion devastated many medieval-level kingdoms. Many communities and kingdoms offer/award abandoned lands/titles to liberating USA personnel to encourage them to stay on as protectors and champions.

-Kalipsis(Protectorate)----Relocated refugees from Infernal invasion gratefully offered land grants on their new world to USA soldiers who rescued them, to encourage their continued protection and uplift.

-Tetrak(Protectorate)----Former resort colony taken over by corrupt aristocracy and pirates. Reform-minded King seeks to fill empty court seats with USA personas to secure continued protection and support.

*Kasenti Stellanion(Independent Star Kingdom)----In gratitude for killing a Dark God and scuttling a coup attempt, the reformist Queen of this Dark Elf kingdom made a temporarily stranded GN soldier and several other outworlder companions full Peers of the Realm, with an eye towards pursusing closer relations with their respective nations with the newly annointed Lords and Ladies as liaisons.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:49 am

Champion

Out of curiosity, what might "dark elf" mean in a megaverse context beside being a non-light skinned elf, heretic/renegades or something else? :| :?:

Ah, re-reading the Stelanion's history data got me this "The Stellanion was founded by an offshoot of Alfheim’s ancient society. According to legend, apparently a number of elven sects unhappy with the influence of either the Asgardian or modern-day ‘star elves’, decided to leave and settle elsewhere. The Stellanion was one of these dissident migrations."

So my overall impression is that "dark" in this context means divergent or splinter sect, in a Warhammer/Dragonlance style take of the term.

Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:00 am

Priest

SolCannibal wrote:
Out of curiosity, what means "dark elf" in a megaverse context beside being a non-light skinned elf? :| :?:

There are various degrees of 'drow' elves in the megaverse ranging from simply blue-gray or black-skinned elves to the equivalent of night-skinned Asgard elves, just as there are various degrees of humans across the megaverse.

In general though, merely dark-skinned elves follow the same general skin-tones as humans, so various degrees of tan brown, to heavy melinated near-ebony as in humans don't cause calls of 'drow'. Less likely dark shades of blue-gray and jet-black(as opposed to other colors like dark purple or green, as happens in some elven variant septs), a higher degree of magic, bad attitudes towards non-elves, and generally living below ground or in low light conditions are regarded as signs of 'drow-ness'.
Some dark-skinned elven septs and cultures sharing those characteristics object to being grouped with 'dark elves/drow', and conversely there are those 'pure' dark elf cultures who deride those same groups as being pretenders or watered-down and degenerate versions of their own ethnic purity...vicious wars and campaigns of ethnic cleansing(by or against elves) have been fought over who is or isn't a 'Dark Elf' , and a good many dark-skinned elves have suffered by association with the rumors swirling around 'Dark Elves'.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:24 am

Champion

Yes, re-reading the write-up on the Stelanion i finally came up to the part where is mentioned most of the elven population (about 85% of it) tends to darker skin tones ranging from dusky brown to blue-black. Had mostly forgotten that was there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 am

Priest

SolCannibal wrote:
Yes, re-reading the write-up on the Stelanion i finally came up to the part where is mentioned most of the elven population (about 85% of it) tends to darker skin tones ranging from dusky brown to blue-black. Had mostly forgotten that was there.

In that, the Stellanion is liberal in that it encompasses a range of dark skin-tones. Some elven cultures are decidedly less tolerant and would not consider the Stellanion a 'Dark Elf' society by any stretch.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:20 am

Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

In that, the Stellanion is liberal in that it encompasses a range of dark skin-tones. Some elven cultures are decidedly less tolerant and would not consider the Stellanion a 'Dark Elf' society by any stretch.

For some reason, the whole "drow or just dusky-skinned elves" subject got me thinking of a "drow meets space Africa" kind of blend, with the queen possessing, or recently starting, a gender-flipped version of the Mino regiment of the kingdom of Dahomey (that according to some versions, where all technically the king's spouses), a "royal military harem" so to speak.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Priest

SolCannibal wrote:

For some reason, the whole "drow or just dusky-skinned elves" subject got me thinking of a "drow meets space Africa" kind of blend, with the queen possessing, or recently starting, a gender-flipped version of the Mino regiment of the kingdom of Dahomey (that according to some versions, where all technically the king's spouses), a "royal military harem" so to speak.

Entirely possible; I really haven't fleshed out all the details of what happened in the Stellanion aside from 'local version of Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters attempted to unleash an alien intelligence posing as an ancient elven god/dess, to feed on all the impure elves and non-elves, get their gooses cooked when nosey outsiders and plucky local misfits interfere".

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:36 pm

Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

Entirely possible; I really haven't fleshed out all the details of what happened in the Stellanion aside from 'local version of Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters attempted to unleash an alien intelligence posing as an ancient elven god/dess, to feed on all the impure elves and non-elves, get their gooses cooked when nosey outsiders and plucky local misfits interfere".

Yes, yes. From the basics in that one sentence of yours i'm tempted to riff "Lord Voldenot" as either a Shifter or Witch empowered by a supernatural link with the Alien Intelligence or something similar - maybe with Shadow Meld and related powers for "darker than black" aesthetic - but the Evil Immortals from Pantheons of Megaverse show quite nicely you don't have to be from either or these OCCs for such an Intelligence to consider giving you a power boost.

(and from what i can see in CB2, Devy'Orhal, the Evil Immortals' patron, is a quite average CB1 AI example, except for the aforementioned hefty boost it offers its Neuron Beast minions)

Speaking of agendas, considering their xenophobic bent and the irregular distribution of ley lines within Kasenti space, i can imagine such a cult/secret society attempting to kill two birds with one stone through empowering a world or even star system's ley lines through the application of celestially aligned purification-genocide in a planet with a larger proportion of non-elves or "impures" ones in its population.

Maybe, to go with the "magical purification" imagery - and avoid repeating the nuclear option of Chaos Earth-Rifts and Armaggedon Unlimited - a worldwide series of cataclysmic firestorms and volcanic eruptions, jumpstarted through well-placed geomantic manipulation in concert with the planetary alignments. A world covered in ashes, to bring life and vitality for the survivors to work in building a new era, a cleansed and renewed for the Asheaters to bring a new beginning.

Alas, it was not to be and their fate has been thwarted, at least for the time being, until the planets and stars are right once more.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Priest

Pinarr---Homeworld of the Pinarii, Golgan Protectorate World(Anvil Galaxy)
“Pinarr can be termed a ‘banana republic’ in that the local hereditary despots are cheerfully supported by big Golgan agro-concerns, who don’t care how the locals savage each other as long as the commercial crops are big and harvested and shipped out on time.”

“I haven’t met a Pinarii yet who didn’t claim to be a deposed ex-baronet, third distaff cousin of a lannds-earl, fifth son of a fifth son of a fifth son of a hereditary assistant vice minister of a royal council, or the currently exiled secret love-child of an eighth circle high patootie.”

“Pinarr needs a few thousand LaFayette-types...the American Revolution hero, not the frigate....to reform the government and calm the populace, if they don’t want heads to roll in abundance when their own revolution comes.”

“Pinarr’s dotted with enough castles, strongholds, and fortified country estates, of which many have been reinforced with modern armoring materials, that any widespread social unrest on the plent ain’t going to be pretty. Winkling defenders out of those positions is NOT going to be easy.”
----Excerpt from Office of Positive Outcomes evaluation report RG-2324423Pni

Pinarr is the homeworld of the Pinarii species, a tall, smooth-skinned people known for their ability to see through supernatural illusions, and for their aristocractic mannerisms(or pretensions), even from those of low social birth. Body armor is also a big thing on Pinarr, although most of it is merely decorative; there are few Pinarii who don’t own at least a large gorget or back-and-beast cuirass indicating their social status.
Pinarr is a world firmly under Golgan Republik control. Over a century ago, the ruling aristocracies and their entrenched social generals, who had managed to stave off the social upheavals normally associated with global industrialization up to their space agae, cut a deal with the alien Golgans. In return for steadfast loyalty to the Republik, the Pinarii ancien regimes would remain in power, in control of the advanced technology that the Golgans would trade them. The Pinarii would advance as a people, but under the firm grip of the aristocrats’ police, with the (benign) oversight and technical support of the Golgans. Now several centuries later, Pinarr has several offworld colonies, star travel, and the protection of the Golgan Argosy. For their part, the Golgans have a satrapy, system that can serve as a base for their fleets, an agricultural source, and a waystation for their commercial trade. The Pinarii are also, with their smooth skins and bulging eyes, not as unattractive to Golgan sensibilities, and the Pinarii ability to see through illusions, something all the advanced Golgan senses cannot always do, is becoming appreciated by some security-sensitive parts of Golgan society.
However, this bargain has backfired in some ways; though Pinarr has remained under the grip of unrefotmed royal police states, access to Galactic technology and star travel has allowed a quiet, but substantial, exodus of disaffected Pinarii offworld seeking personal freedom. A major part of this migration consists of minor and younger reform-minded aristocracy who fear that increasingly the refusal of the old regimes to change their ways will result in an eventual catastrophic collapse of Pinarii society and the total assimilation of the remains as a Golgan state.
Ironically, there are actually MORE Pinarii in the offworld free colonies and sanctuaries than there are in the Republick-assisted ones. Many of these free enclaves are in the United Systems Alliance territories, and the Pinarii there have been using their connections to covertly support revolutionary cells back on Pinarr. Information, money, and weaponry has been slipping across borders and down to the Loyalist worlds under Republik control and to growing labor unions and reformist groups.
Pinarr would seem a natural hot spot and point of contention between the Golgan Republik and the United Systems Alliance in their current state of conflict. However, nobody’s predicting a clean and bloodless overthrow of the standing government and Pinarr’s defection to the USA; the Pinarii aristocracy have dug in their spurs and aren’t about to give up their privileged lifestyles for egalitarian power-sharing with the ‘rabble’ any time soon.

Solar System(Feydma)
Number of Stars: 1
Types of Stars:
-Yellow Dwarf
Number of Planets: 9
-Asteroid(Palut)--- Palut is a Ceres-sized planetissimal that plays host to an automated solar weather observatory.

-Terrestrial(Ruli)---Huge Ruli is covered in a thick violent atmosphere that has a tendency to eat spacecraft that unwisely venture within. A ‘super-Venus’, Ruli’s poisonous atmosphere and crushing gravity make exploitation unlikely. Even at a distance, Ruli evoked impressions of dread in early Pinarii astronomers, and it features in some Pinarii folklore as a bad-tempered deity, home of ill-tempered spirits, or purgatory of disrepactful children. It does possess five rather better-reputationed moons that have become mining and scientific outposts.

-Terrestrial(Pinarr)--- System lifeworld and home of the Pinarii

-Gas Giant(Esco)---Miniscule for a gas giant, Esco nevertheless manages to hold onto 17 moons. the three largest of which have been acquired by the Golgans and made into mining colonies and naval stations. A large gas mining operation keeps the staions and their complements of ships fueled and supplied.

-Gas Giant(Gawl)---Barely a cohesive puff of gas, Gawli falls into the ‘microscopic’ category of gas giants. Following some probe data, Golgan scientists have been taking a closer look at Gawli, wondering if it may begin evaporating at an accelerated rate like Garf.

-Asteroid(Chiggen)--- Despite its distance from Feydma, this cold rocky body is rumored to be the site of an exclusive space habitat hideaway for Golgan corporate types and their Pinarii aristocratic high blue-blood allies who shuttle out in space yachts bought for them by the Golgan corporations. Popular rumor has it this is where, during lavish parties serviced by advanced technology and supplied with delicacies imported from across the Republik, and safe from prying eyes, corporate overlords and their local collaborators hash out policy to continue to screw over the rest of Pinarii society. It’s most likely pure bunko, but the asteroid DOES seem to attract a higher than normal amount of space traffic than a mere rock should warrant.

-Terrestrial(Moyt)---Huge Moyt is shrouded in dark cold methane clouds. Its toxic atmosphere and high gravity make it an unattractive prospect for manned exploration, though the interaction of its methane atmosphere and several volcanic hotspots has led to some spectacular surface storms.

-Gas Giant(Garf)---Another ‘barely there’ gas giant, Garf seems to be inexplicably falling apart. a phenomenon which has attracted the interest of Golgan astronomers, who are perplexed as to WHY the planet seems to be evaporating. Best estimates give the planet another 1.2 million years of life before it dissipates completely into a thin ring of gas and debris around Feydma.

-Terrestrial(Gilov)--- Small icy Gilov sits at the far edge of the Feydma system. The Golgans have established a small communications station on Gilov as a backup booster-relay to theri galactic communications. The Gilov station is generally staffed by low tier Argosy personnel on what amounts to punishment or ‘get lost’ assignment-details. Assignment to Gilov means long tedious watch-jigs checking and rechecking the equipment, going over maintenance logs, and eating reconstituted rations while painfully aware that the Argosy personnel further in-system are enjoying Galactic entertainment and regular helpings of the local produce.

Planet(Pinarr)
Type: Terrestrial
Diameter: 13,220 km
Gravity:: 1.3 g
Temperature: Temperate, albeit on the cooler side.
Unusual/Special Features:
-Tilted Orbit---Pinarr’s orbit is tilted some 45 degrees out of aligment with the general disc of the other bodies orbiting Feydma.
- Unusually Long Orbit----A Pinarr ‘year’ is 2.2 Earth years long thanks to an unusually slow progression around Feydma.
-Moons(2)---Altha and Durma ae both half the size of Earth’s moon, but bth have been developed by Golgan technology into outposts. Altha supports several mines and a trashipping port, while Durma supports a Golgan Argosy naval base.
-Craters---- Pinarr bears a healthy collection of impact scars, telling of some impressive past meteor bombardments.

Atmosphere: Breathable terrestrial nitrox mix
Terrain: 4+ terrian types.
Notable Mineral Concentrations:
- Mercury
- Iron
- Colombite
- Scheelite
- Diamond
- Fluorite
- Emerald
- Asbestos
Hydrosphere:
69% of Pinarr’s surface is covered in open water
Biosphere:
Lush; the Pinarii deal with the Golgans has benefitted them all in respect that Galactic technology helped avoid the worst damage native industrial revolutions usually inflict on a sophony species’ homeworld environment. Pinarii is nearly undamaged by technological development, and the aristocracy enjoy vast private hunting parks and nature preserves.
Civilization:
Settled
Population:
4.5 billion Pinarii. There are also several enclaves holding about 318,000 Golgans and other Republik client-races.
Technology:
Industrial Age/Early Information Age; though the Pinarii enjoy the advantages of imported Stellar Age techology and the rare bit of Galactic tech, their actual production capacilities are still fairly primitive by Galactic standards. Most high tech is in the hands of the aristocracy and their retainers; the Royal Army and personal guards of high-ecehelon families being the only ones permitted to carry megadamage weaponry.
Economy:
Agricultural----Much of Pinarr is still covered and divided up into plantation-style fiefdoms and holdings growing crops. Advanced agricultural techniques imported form offworld have made these farms very productive, the bulk of the surplus crops being snapped up by Golgan agro-corps for sale elsewhere in the Republik.
Wealth:
Wealthy---Pinarii is making good money selling agricultural products to the Republik. Golgan agro-concerns like FructdiCelestiDelisi and PromoBotan have substantial stakes in Pinarii agriculture. The upper social classes on Pinarr can afford advanced medical care, technological amenities, and Galactic luxuries and entertainments. Aside from trickle-down effects and the occasional civics project such as medical clinics and colosseum-style mass entertainments such as holodomes, the lower classes rarely see any of the wealth in their own hands.
Government:
Aristocracy---Pinarr is divided up into multiple fiefdoms ruled by aristocratic bloodlines. Power games between the ruling clans is a favorite sport, though the status quo changes very little.
Law Level:
Overbearing---The ruling class rules through a combination of police state tactics and social class pressure. There are literally different laws for the various social classes, and the lower on the societal scale one is, the less rights one has, until the peasant class can almost be bought and sold. As if that wasn’t bad enough, the very top tiers are maneuvering to erode what small handle the lower tiers have on holding the upper crust responsible for their actions.
Popularity:
Ambivalent--- Though a certain amount of traditionalism is respected in Pinarii society, the fact that society and governance have become static has begun to breed unease in many Pinarii. Even some of the aristocracy are chaffing under the Golgan-sympathizer/collaborator ruling party, especially as of late they seem to be rewritting the laws to give themselves even more power, backed by the technology and support of the Golgans.
Stability:
Unrest, especially in the lower classes. Multiple generations of families working in the same roles for the same people(or their descendants) with little visible advancement or opportunity for change have begun to wear at the public patience.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:24 am

Priest

The Gunrunners' War
The Golgan War (or ‘GREAT Golgan War’ as it has been sometomes called) proved a boon for the Three Glaxies armament industry, especially in the Anvil Galaxy.
The situation led to an unexpected (and uneasy) truce of sorts between the three major weapons manufacturers of note in the conflict; Naruni Enterprises, Hartigal Combine, and Argis Stellar Industries, all of whom had links to the Altess Dynasty.

-Naruni Enterprises
The Altess Dynasty was less than happy that Naruni had supplied the Golgans with much of the armament used during the Republik’s offensive campaign to either subjugate or destroy the Dynasty, especially as the Altess own a controlling share of NE Three Galaxies. However, with the Golgan’s destruction of an NE Repo-Fleet has made the Altess plans to punish Naruni less awkward and wearisome; the Naruni are eager for revenge and have declared that it’s time for payback against those bill-scoffing Golgans. The Naruni have therefore offered large discounted arms deals to those worlds in teh path of the Golgans’ Kultural Revolution campaign. This has spared the Altess the problem of again threatening the Naruni with buying NE out from under them. though NE is also strengthening its local position with the profits it stands to make, even with the discounted goods, from sales to paanicked worlds fearing teh Golgan steamroller in their neighborhood.

-Aegis Stellar Industries/United Systems Alliance
ASI and the USAns are currently considered the boon lesser kindred of the Altess for their standing with the Altess in the latter’s hour of need. Though the USA’s industrial capacity is rather taxed by all the demands made on it by recent galactic events, Altess investiture, both overt and covert, in USA concerns, has buffered strained USAn industrial muscle somewhat. That having been said, even though the USA is already openly at war with the Republik, the Altess have discretely made large purchases of USA-made armaments and hired crews from the USA and Central Alliance to ship(and in some cases smuggle) them to needy worlds in the path of the re-energized Golgan warmachine. The unleashing of the USA’s ‘Irregulars’ on the Golgans has also helped this, as OPO-trained insurgency groups have been arming and advising resistance movements behind Golgan lines.
The Altess have managed to persuade ASI agents in the region not to unduly antagonize Naruni. Embarrass and school them, perhaps, but nothing that will have NE turning and focusing on taking the USAns out of the picture, rather than beat on the Golgans. Sensing more moving under the surface from the senior polity, the USAns have agreed, and backed off from any plans to cut Naruni from the regional arms and shipmarket.

-Hartigal Combine
The Golgan War has put Hartigal in a difficult position; on one hand Jelko Rodula wants to stick it to the Golgans for attacking his homeland, while on the other hand, he really wants to punish Naruni for killing his old friend Lester M’kri. Though he doesn’t know the full extent of the Dynasty’s control of NE, he does suspect that their hand in the arms corporation is substantial, and frankly he’d like to punish his fellow Altess accordingly for what he sees as their complacency in M’kri’s death. Though recent secret revelations from the EShemarians have softened Rodula’s ire somewhat, the renegade Altess is still looking to play out his grudge, albeit on a longer time scale. Of more immediate concern though is Hartigal’s potential role in the current Great Golgan War. Jeko would LOVE to see Naruni bled white seeking to undermine the Republik, but knows that ain’t going to happen. If Rodula has Hartigal enter the warzones and compete with Naruni, offering discounts to needy worlds, he’ll have to slash his prices even more, and simple economics dictates that there’s only so much Hartigal can afford to lose on sales, especially when it has to stay solvent to continue the fight against Naruni Enterprises. And if Rodula plays his Altess trumpcard to pull strings and influence people, he’ll have Armoria agents in force out to drag him back to the Dynasty. For now, Hartigal has simply increased its presence in the warzones and begun cutting its prices, while Rodula awaits a better opportunity to promote Naruni’s downfall and hurt his countrymen who have enabled Naruni’s monstrous corporate policies.

Overall, the Great Golgan War has led to an uneasy truce between the three weapons manufacturers. While Naruni is baldly competing for profits(and gouge out Golgan eyeballs in the process), the USA is looking to win hearts and minds among the worlds at threat from the Golgans, while Hartigal is looking to make money, but also replace Naruni in the minds of clients and at least tie with the USAns for market share.
The unofficial truce means that NE, ASI, and HC ships don’t shoot at each other when encountering their opposite numbers, and that they don’t try to openly undercut each others’ efforts to reinforce the Golgan secessionist worlds. Offcamera, though, the three are going hammer and tongs to outcompete each other in garnering position.
The Altess want to bleed the Golgans, punish Naruni by bleeding them too, and cultivate the USAns and Hartigal (not suspecting that HC is already run by one of their own) as alternatives to Naruni(and threats to dangle over NE’s heads).
The Golgan position in this is very simple; they’re getting shellacked by an unexpected informal alliance of their ‘lesser’ enemies. The Golgan steamroller is hitting roadblocks in the form of surprisingly increasingly well-armed resistance in worlds they were expecting to storm easily. There’s growing guerilla movements on worlds they HAVE taken, and the effort of putting out all the little fires in their backyard is further taxing the already stretched Argosy and Guard units at a time when they should be focused elsewhere.

Perhaps the real winners in this are the smugglers, who have been making record profits, despite(or BECAUSE of) the risks in the warzones, running guns to secessionist worlds, passing illicit technology to the Golgans for reverse-engineering, and getting refugees and fugitives out of the warzones.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
I was going to make a thread title: "Have any of you guys made a complete star system using the rules in the books?"
Like with full detail of each planet including intelligent species and political organization and such. But it looks like many of you have done that already. So I dont need to ask now. And I'd like to thank you guys. I've been trying to do it myself but its very difficult. My original idea was a budding civilization just discovering space travel and not yet knowing they were part of the Three Galaxies. Maybe a group of explorers or warriors or pirates or privateers or merchants. I wasnt sure. Now I have more inspiration to get going.

Or I may just steal all your ideas. How bout that?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Priest

Shorty Lickens wrote:

You ain't stealing' if you're contributin'.
Ideally, take one, leave one. :wink:
Let us all know what you're doing with the stuff.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:53 am

Champion

taalismn wrote:
-Hartigal Combine

Curse my meme-infected brain, that every time i come across the word combine, gets sidetracked from the text into thiking of either this or this (When not both put together, that is).

Years upon years of reading on the Three Galaxies and i still can't remember nothing of Hartigal beside "NE splinter with spiteful Altess boss" because of that. :roll: :oops:

taalismn wrote:
Perhaps the real winners in this are the smugglers, who have been making record profits, despite(or BECAUSE of) the risks in the warzones, running guns to secessionist worlds, passing illicit technology to the Golgans for reverse-engineering, and getting refugees and fugitives out of the warzones.

"The Swag Must Flow..."

More serious aside, someone with portal access to the right places could make some humongously filthy lucre in the whole situation. Of the three, i'd guess ASI has the largest edge on making use of that particular venue.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:04 am

Champion

Shorty Lickens wrote:
I was going to make a thread title: "Have any of you guys made a complete star system using the rules in the books?"
Like with full detail of each planet including intelligent species and political organization and such. But it looks like many of you have done that already. So I dont need to ask now. And I'd like to thank you guys. I've been trying to do it myself but its very difficult. My original idea was a budding civilization just discovering space travel and not yet knowing they were part of the Three Galaxies. Maybe a group of explorers or warriors or pirates or privateers or merchants. I wasnt sure. Now I have more inspiration to get going.

First things first - what kind of civilization do you have in mind? Let's throw some questions around and see what sticks ot the mind and maybe sparks the imagination.

- How new are they to space travel, just found FTL on their own, got it from someone else (either trade or acquiring from aliens, living or dead), hit upon an alternative like Stargates or rift-hopping through chance or not even that and are crawling to neighboring stars in relativistic speeds?

- How much of their initial star system have them explored, colonized or developed in any way?

- Does the homeworld have one sapient species or several? Are the natives from a species already known in interestellar society (human, wolfen, kreegor, noro, seljuk, etc) or some new brand of sapient? If the later, what's peculiar or special about them?

- Are they, as a whole or in part, familiar with magic, psionics, superpowers or some other peculiar resource through certain organizations or cultures peculiar to their civilization? If so, to what degree and how accepted, restricted or rejected it is?

Reading or rolling tables can lead to much more stuff indeed, but i hope just tinkering with those questions might help with defining a image of your own concept of civilization in mind.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:56 am

Priest

SolCannibal wrote:
[
- Are they, as a whole or in part, familiar with magic, psionics, superpowers or some other peculiar resource through certain organizations or cultures peculiar to their civilization? If so, to what degree and how accepted, restricted or rejected it is?.
\

"Have they got something to sell?"

"Well, we could afford to get rid of most of our lawyers-"
"Nope, got too many of the as is."
"Okay, how about our entertainment celebrity social class?"
"Every society goes through its own phase of making stupid people famous. We don't need to deal with the dross again. Anything else you want to clean out of your global garage?"
"We make a mean tube steak with hot sauce-"
"SOLD!"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
[
- Are they, as a whole or in part, familiar with magic, psionics, superpowers or some other peculiar resource through certain organizations or cultures peculiar to their civilization? If so, to what degree and how accepted, restricted or rejected it is?.
\

"Have they got something to sell?"

"Well, we could afford to get rid of most of our lawyers-"
"Nope, got too many of the as is."

Another lawyer joke - and now i had to remember the Advocate demons (from Land of Damned 1) and their infernal realm of Scarundar, because why not a whole hell made of lawyers and legal representatives looking for dupes, i mean, clients to iron out deals for, what's so bad about it?! Thanks. :x :roll: :lol:

taalismn wrote:
"Okay, how about our entertainment celebrity social class?"
"Every society goes through its own phase of making stupid people famous. We don't need to deal with the dross again. Anything else you want to clean out of your global garage?"

Guess i now know what new horrid power i'm going to add to the forces of the Minion War next.... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:56 pm

Priest

Blame this guy for the 'Stop Making Stupid People Famous!' line: https://signoftheapocalypse.com/.
It's become one of my social reform battlecries because it's true; we're making too many stupid people into celebrities!

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------