Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®: Dimension Books

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Champion

Ok so on Megaverse in Flames page 158 it describes the Flaming Skull Army of Overlord Necroskull. In the layout of the army it stats that there are 5,000 Nexus Deevils in that army alone.

Now according to Dimension Book 11: Dyval page 63 it states that there are 6,000 Nexus Deevils in the entire Megaverse. Also, if add the numbers of the individual layers of Dyval, there are only about 992 present in Dyval.

So is the number in MiF a typo? Or is the Infernal population retconned?

Thoughts?

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Demon Lord Extraordinaire

Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?
It's someone not paying attention to what was previously written, and just throwing in whatever number they feel like.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 pm

Champion

The Beast wrote:
It's someone not paying attention to what was previously written, and just throwing in whatever number they feel like.

Probably. But the rest of the numbers are realistic for the other sub races of Deevils. I don’t know. I’m kind of a numbers guy and this one really through me off.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
Seems like the numbers fit. 5000 in the Army there, 992 in Dyval, 8 just kind of wandering around. They are rare demons, meaning the numbers are limited.

Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:19 am

Knight

Hystrix wrote:
according to Dimension Book 11: Dyval page 63 it states that there are 6,000 Nexus Deevils in the entire Megaverse.

Actually it reads:
    Nexus Deevils are as rare as they are beautiful and alluring.
    It is believed that fewer than 6,000 are found throughout the many levels of Dyval.
    Scholars suggest this is because their natural ability to dimensional teleport and control Rifts compels them to explore the Megaverse.

The 6000 is the upper-estimate on the ones in all combined levels of Dyval, not the Megaverse as a whole.

It doesn't include those presently waging war on Hades, the Palladium World, Rifts Earth, Wormwood, Phase World, etc.

The "believed" also opens the window to having greater numbers present if the GM desires, so you could have 1 million Nexus Deevils per level of Dyval if you really wanted to.

Hystrix wrote:
if add the numbers of the individual layers of Dyval, there are only about 992 present in Dyval.

*pg 106, 120 are "Hel's Lesser Deevils"
*pg 110, another 100 elsewhere in Prime (total 120 in layer 1)
*Pg 116, 12 "or so" in Northern Dyzonia
*pg 121 "none known" in Southern Preserves
*pg 131, 200 in 3rd layer
*pg 153 "few, if any" in the Glacia region of Tundra
*pg 159 "none known" in Frozen Wastes region of Tundra
*pg 163, 300 in Tundra Expanse
*pg 176, "10 or so" in Inferno
*pg 193 "50 or so" in Mines
*pg 215 200 in Grim Mortis

I think the presence of phrases/words like "or so" or "few" or "known" give a lot of flexibility there.

Also useful to keep in mind is what's mentioned earlier on 215...

while the Deevils think Grim Mortis is the farthest they can go, they are wrong.
There could be and endless number of levels to Dyval.
In fact, Lord Sahtalus may have already created additional layers to Dyval
or other worlds in alien dimensions,
but only he has the key to visit these unknown realms.
It is quite possible that Sahtalus has millions or more troops standing by ready to be unleashed.
No one knows what truly lies beyond Grim Mortis except Sahtalus and Grim

I don't know if Hades has an impressive blank cheque like that, the closest I can think is how easily they can great Greater Demons via the Death Demon plaque.

I'm not sure if there is ever a "total in the megaverse" statement anywhere for ANY type of Hadesian/Dyvalian demon. Would be very interested in knowing where it is and its context, since these numbers would change over time.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
I would like to point out that most of the demons and devils are not even really "Exclusive".
We have plenty of canonical statements that most of these demons and devils are found in the service of other powers as well.
Hades and Dyval are just the 'main stage' since those are the ones that get the most face time in the books.
Or we should say these versions of Hades and Dyval are, since there is plenty of evidence that there are multiple versions of both.

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Knight

Are you referring to the CB1 alien intelligences which I think got reprinted in Dark Conversions?