Mechanoids Vs. Vampires

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nightmaster wrote:Read again Rifts Sourcebook 2 and pay close atention to the description the KS gives about the reactions that a mechanoid would have if outsmarted or defeated by humanoids. Not bizarre exagerations.

What page?

I remember reading this as well in either CB1 or SB2.
The Beast

dark brandon wrote:...the mechanoids on RIFTS earth wouldn't stand a candle of a chance against the vampires on RIFTS earth.

Then again, the vampires on rifts earth wouldn't stand a candle of a chance against the mechanoids from "Mechanoid invasion".

Agreed.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nightmaster wrote:Read again Rifts Sourcebook 2 and pay close atention to the description the KS gives about the reactions that a mechanoid would have if outsmarted or defeated by humanoids. Not bizarre exagerations.

What page?

Again I ask, "what page?"
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

What page?

If it's in CB1, then it would be one the page where it talks about both Robotech and The Mechanoids PCs. If it's in SB2, then it should be toward the rear where they have a bunch of general descriptions about the mechanoids broken down into bullets. If you really want me to give you a page number though, you're gonna have to wait until December at the earliest for me to give it to you.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

What page?

If it's in CB1, then it would be one the page where it talks about both Robotech and The Mechanoids PCs. If it's in SB2, then it should be toward the rear where they have a bunch of general descriptions about the mechanoids broken down into bullets. If you really want me to give you a page number though, you're gonna have to wait until December at the earliest for me to give it to you.

:twiddles thumbs:

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

The Beast

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

What page?

:twiddles thumbs:

How's that thumb twiddeling working out for ya? :lol: If you're still waiting on me for the answer, I'll be back by Christmas.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:How's that thumb twiddeling working out for ya? :lol: If you're still waiting on me for the answer, I'll be back by Christmas.

It'll make a great Christmas present for me.

Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Vampires would work behind the scenes helping the humans in any way they could, like intel gathering and assassinating key Mechanoid units.
The Beast

Peacebringer wrote:Vampires would work behind the scenes helping the humans in any way they could...

and then they eat them. :P
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

If the Mechanoids invaded a planet ruled by vampires, the vamps would wipe the floor with them in the short term. But it'd only be a matter of time until the Mechanoids figure out how to defeat vampires (I mean hell, they've got a whole damn planet full of people in the know who can be captured and tortured for information), and after that the vamps won't have a snowball's chance in hell. After all, the Mechanoids have oodles of resources. It wouldn't take too long to kit out an expeditionary force with high-pressure water cannons.
The Beast

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:How's that thumb twiddeling working out for ya? :lol: If you're still waiting on me for the answer, I'll be back by Christmas.

Contacted transportation toady. they shuld be bringing the stuff within thenext couple of weeeks
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Contacted transportation toady. they shuld be bringing the stuff within thenext couple of weeeks

Whew.

My thumbs are a-gettin' sore.

The Beast

Nightmaster wrote:They are schizofrenik to begin off.

Just because they're crazy doesn't mean they're all stupid as well.
The Beast

Hmmmrph. :nh: Quickly scanned through the book and didn't find it where I thought it was. I'll have to check all my Mechanoid books more thouroghly now.
The Beast

:badbad: Grrr! The only things I've been able to find are notes on how the free-thinkers tend to underestimate humanoids. Maybe I'm confusing them with some other species, but I don't know which ones would react that way. I keep thinking vampires, but that doesn't make any sense as they normally were human.

Either that or it's one of those things that did happen, but somehow temporally/dimensionally shifted into not happening. Kind of like Mandela dying while in prison.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:Either that or it's one of those things that did happen, but somehow temporally/dimensionally shifted into not happening. Kind of like Mandela dying while in prison.

Yeah, that sort of thing happens to me too.

Darned temporal/spacial shifts in reality. :nh:

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Y'know, I just realised that there's a veritable superweapon the Mechanoids could use against a vampire-dominated planet.

Ice asteroids. If you've got an Earthlike planet, lobbing enough comets and ice asteroids at it will do several fun things.

- they'll significantly increase the sea level, turning thousands and thousands of square miles of low-lying coastal areas into shallow seas that vampires can't operate in.

- the increase in sea level will lead to an increase in evaporation, which in turn leads to an increase in average humidity and an increase in rainfall around the world. Further, the extra humidity causes a greenhouse effect, raising global temperatures and further accelerating the cycle of evaporation and precipitation. In most parts of the world this will drastically increase the number of nights in the year that vamps just can't operate outside at all due to rain or the risk of rain.

- a big enough chunk of ice will vaporise a city if it drops down from orbit. That's the hiding places of hundreds or even thousands of vampires wiped out in an instant.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rallan wrote:Y'know, I just realised that there's a veritable superweapon the Mechanoids could use against a vampire-dominated planet.

Ice asteroids. If you've got an Earthlike planet, lobbing enough comets and ice asteroids at it will do several fun things.

- they'll significantly increase the sea level, turning thousands and thousands of square miles of low-lying coastal areas into shallow seas that vampires can't operate in.

- the increase in sea level will lead to an increase in evaporation, which in turn leads to an increase in average humidity and an increase in rainfall around the world. Further, the extra humidity causes a greenhouse effect, raising global temperatures and further accelerating the cycle of evaporation and precipitation. In most parts of the world this will drastically increase the number of nights in the year that vamps just can't operate outside at all due to rain or the risk of rain.

- a big enough chunk of ice will vaporise a city if it drops down from orbit. That's the hiding places of hundreds or even thousands of vampires wiped out in an instant.

Hm.

Good thinking!

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

The only real question left is:

If Mechanoids are basically just very mutated humans, could you make a Mechanoid Vampire?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rallan wrote:The only real question left is:

If Mechanoids are basically just very mutated humans, could you make a Mechanoid Vampire?

I would think that you could, but that it wouldn't be very effective.
They'd just be like any other vampire, only oddly shaped, and the only way they could be turned would be to tear up their containment suits/armor.
And even if you got some armor intact, I don't know that they could still interact with it in the same way. If they have any actual cybernetics/bionics that allow them to control their armor, turning vamp would mean that the implants would be rejected.

The Beast

Hmm. There are vampire elves and ogres in the Old Ones book, and mechanoids are a mortal species, even if they've engineered themselves to where they're at now. I'd say it's possible, but you'd likely end up with a very phsyiclly weak vampire (based of the artwork of their description).
The Beast

And I see KC ninjaed in the same reply I was going for. :lol:
The Beast

I FOUND IT!

Page 31 SB2, second to last paragraph on the left.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:I FOUND IT!

Page 31 SB2, second to last paragraph on the left.

Whew!

I was on my 32nd pair of thumbs!

Here's one of them:

:ok:

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Re:

Unread post by Grell »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

I would think that you could, but that it wouldn't be very effective.
They'd just be like any other vampire, only oddly shaped, and the only way they could be turned would be to tear up their containment suits/armor.
And even if you got some armor intact, I don't know that they could still interact with it in the same way. If they have any actual cybernetics/bionics that allow them to control their armor, turning vamp would mean that the implants would be rejected.

I would think that being a vampire in their mutated form would be pretty odd looking.....and kind of cool!

At any rate, a mechanoid vampire would be a pretty creepy villain to introduce in any setting, especially with their unreasoning hatred of all things humanoid..
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Explorer

Re: Mechanoids Vs. Vampires

Unread post by Avatara »

Plus they could go out in sunlight do to the fact that they are incased in an exoskeleton all they would have to do is paint the window black and rely on their hud. dispite that I think a mechanoid vampire would be stupid. And should not be.
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Avatara wrote:Plus they could go out in sunlight do to the fact that they are incased in an exoskeleton all they would have to do is paint the window black and rely on their hud. dispite that I think a mechanoid vampire would be stupid. And should not be.

I actually don't think that would be the case. Vampire Kingdoms pretty clearly states that vamps don't wear armor due to their elemental nature after the change and that it inhibits their transformation powers.

I doubt a mechanoid vampire would even bother with an exoskeleton. Small size and transformation powers would still make for a wicked cool, yet odd looking, vamp villain.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

except for the part where the thing can't walk. But I'd also figure that the mechinoids would be too transformed by the prosses that they became mech's anyway to become a vamp but thats just me.
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Avatara wrote:except for the part where the thing can't walk. But I'd also figure that the mechinoids would be too transformed by the prosses that they became mech's anyway to become a vamp but thats just me.

Well, don't the mechanoids have telepathy in lieu of speaking ability?

As far as the creatures being too transformed for a conversion to Vampire, I'd agree with that except (though I could be wrong) don't they have the ability to leave their mechanical bodies for relaxation periods?

Granted, I could be confusing them with the Invid in that regard...

Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

well yes they can leave the suit but there kind of like the old villian from the TMNT cartoon and he was not all that good at moving around with out his toys.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Avatara wrote:well yes they can leave the suit but there kind of like the old villian from the TMNT cartoon and he was not all that good at moving around with out his toys.

Yeah, but vampire metamorphosis could help out with that! :P

Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

Aren't mechanoids cybernetic creatures? As in bonded to their machines? So turning them into vampires would be incredibly useless they would end up as blobs i.e. do they even have a mouth? Though yes, they could stay in bat/mist form pretty much always.
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Severite wrote:Aren't mechanoids cybernetic creatures? As in bonded to their machines? So turning them into vampires would be incredibly useless they would end up as blobs i.e. do they even have a mouth? Though yes, they could stay in bat/mist form pretty much always.

If they were bonded to their machines, then no because they'd essentially be considered a full conversion borg. But this line of thought is based on the idea (whether right or wrong) that they have the ability to leave their mechanical bodies, something a traditional full borg can't do.

I don't think it would matter much how weak the mechanoid is physically outside their suit because the vamp conversion is a supernatural process and the creature would be getting new stats anyways (stats that don't take into consideration what form the vamp had while mortal).

Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

Grell wrote:
Severite wrote:Aren't mechanoids cybernetic creatures? As in bonded to their machines? So turning them into vampires would be incredibly useless they would end up as blobs i.e. do they even have a mouth? Though yes, they could stay in bat/mist form pretty much always.

If they were bonded to their machines, then no because they'd essentially be considered a full conversion borg. But this line of thought is based on the idea (whether right or wrong) that they have the ability to leave their mechanical bodies, something a traditional full borg can't do.

I don't think it would matter much how weak the mechanoid is physically outside their suit because the vamp conversion is a supernatural process and the creature would be getting new stats anyways (stats that don't take into consideration what form the vamp had while mortal).

Granted, they would be blobs with supernatural strength, but blobs all the same.....I need to go back and reread mechanoids again, I remember them being attached to their machines, so bollocks for me. Anywho, do you have a page number on their outside the cybernetics stats? Sides, even if your supposed to add superhuman speed, would you still add it to a flesh mound? Oh, and do they have mouths to feed?
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

A quick glance doesn't reveal any base stats. They're not cool like the Invid in that regard, though the book does state that the mechanoids metal bodies are more akin to EBA. It suggests that they could be removed from the body for whatever reason.

I'm tired, so I'll have to look more in depth later!

Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

go to page 56 of the mechanoid invasion trilogy. There is where you get the description of the mechanoids. it says they are geneticly engineered and infused with cybernetics also that they are clones aswell. as for the suits.

'It appears that the exterior machine shell serves them in much the same way as the Human E.B.A. Unlike the human E.B.A, these metal constuctions serve as a "permanent," environment providing constant stimulation, nourishment, protection, and sensory input.'

As for the fleshy parts "The organisms, themselves, are carbon-based creatures composed of soft, fleshy tissue and an intricate nervous system. This organism may or may not posses tendrils or any other obvios sensory organs."
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Well there you have it then!

Still, look at the picture of the digger "without body armor" on page 192 and tell me that wouldn't be a creepy, vampiric little critter!

Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Laux the Ogre wrote:
Grell wrote:Well there you have it then!

Still, look at the picture of the digger "without body armor" on page 192 and tell me that wouldn't be a creepy, vampiric little critter!

"Little"? Not very, unless you consider Dominator Ships to be "middling-sized".

I'll admit that I assume the digger pilot is more manageable sized than the behemoth digger machine, though the book doesn't spec out the pilot organism beyond HP.

Oh, and in Homeworld, it states that the free thinkers DO have haven areas with specially kept atmospheres for them to relax in, both in and out of their suits. Will post page number later.

Metathiax

Unread post by Metathiax »

sweet vampire mechanoids, Fear the mechapires

how about the three galaxy vampires with access to starships and space age tech like forcefields.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

The Vampires would have to start out as stowaways on one of their ships. Makes sense since there are many different people living between the cracks.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re:

Unread post by Tor »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Vamps are harmed by sunlight for magical reasons, not chemical or physical. It has to be actual light from the actual sun.
"The" sun of earth, or the closest sun which the planet they're on revolves around?

Plus Phantoms/Guardians
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

As soon as it's daylight and the vamps hide/sleep, the mechanoids take the planet. Game over.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Alrik Vas wrote:As soon as it's daylight and the vamps hide/sleep, the mechanoids take the planet. Game over.

Um... you're aware that it's always night time on half the planet, right?

Basic geometry is hard!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Thanks Rallan. You've always been such a peach.

Over the course of 24 hours as the sun shines on the planet's different bits and pieces, the vampires lose. Excuse my lack of ten page explanation.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Mechanoids absolutely win. Superior numbers, can't be turned, likely can't be controlled/enslaved and their operations will eventually consume the planet leaving the vampires no real place to hide from the sun.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

No place except for the various astral realms without sun, or sunless dimensions, which they inhabit and thrive in.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Re: Re:

Tor wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Vamps are harmed by sunlight for magical reasons, not chemical or physical. It has to be actual light from the actual sun.
"The" sun of earth, or the closest sun which the planet they're on revolves around?

Presumably, whichever sun the planet in question is orbiting around.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Grell wrote:Mechanoids absolutely win. Superior numbers, can't be turned, likely can't be controlled/enslaved and their operations will eventually consume the planet leaving the vampires no real place to hide from the sun.

Not to mention that the Mechanoids have such ridiculous numerical superiority that they just won't give a damn if they lose a fleet or three in the process of figuring out how to kill vampires. Not that the vampires have got a serious chance of wiping out a Mechanoid fleet in the first place of course.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Looking at this thread I have to wonder if the Vampires and Mechanoids will ever come into serious conflict. Vampires almost never control whole worlds and if Mechanoids come after a world vamps are on they are they intelligence is likely to just abandon it. Defeating a space based opponent with no blood or ability to be turned just seems like work.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Warshield73 wrote:Looking at this thread I have to wonder if the Vampires and Mechanoids will ever come into serious conflict. Vampires almost never control whole worlds and if Mechanoids come after a world vamps are on they are they intelligence is likely to just abandon it. Defeating a space based opponent with no blood or ability to be turned just seems like work.

If the Mechanoids ever get loose in a dimension that's got supernatural beings in it, they'll come into serious conflict regularly. Or serious conflict by vampire standards anyway. They might not rule many planets, but they exist all over the damn place.

Return to “The Mechanoids®”