Board index » SDC Worlds » The Mechanoids®

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:07 am

Republican

Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.
Laux the Ogre wrote:
Grell wrote:
Well there you have it then!

Still, look at the picture of the digger "without body armor" on page 192 and tell me that wouldn't be a creepy, vampiric little critter!

"Little"? Not very, unless you consider Dominator Ships to be "middling-sized".

I'll admit that I assume the digger pilot is more manageable sized than the behemoth digger machine, though the book doesn't spec out the pilot organism beyond HP.

Oh, and in Homeworld, it states that the free thinkers DO have haven areas with specially kept atmospheres for them to relax in, both in and out of their suits. Will post page number later.

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Explorer

sweet vampire mechanoids, Fear the mechapires

how about the three galaxy vampires with access to starships and space age tech like forcefields.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:17 am

Hero

Comment: What happened in here last night? It smells of cheap booze and expensive regret...
An interesting thought. Most of the posts seem to be applying a micro-engagement scale to this scenario. Against any opponent, this inherently favors the vampires, let alone mechanoids. To truly test the strength of each side, you need to take this to the macro scale. This means a mechanoid mothership parks in orbit around a planet ruled by vampires, with at least one vampire intelligence residing on it (more than likely half a dozen, all playing their games against each other). So this means hundreds of millions of mechanoids against billions of vampires.

In this scenario, the mechanoids are the aggressor. They see a planet with 'humans' on it and decide to cull it. Following their SOP, they defoliate the world chemically, then descend to 'play' with the local population. This will rouse the vamps to action as sure as it would if a person were to set a farmer's fields on fire. Their food is at stake. Initial engagements will favor the vampires for the simple fact that lasers, bombs and the rest do exactly jack against them.

However, as time wears on, the balance will tip in favor of the mechanoids for one simple reason. Mechanoids have been shown, time and time again, to be extremely adaptable. This is their strength as much as it is for humans. Vampires do not adapt. They are limited by their nature as supernatural predators. They will rely on their natural abilities, every one of which can be countered by relatively mundane means. To be specific, the mechanoids will start asking questions.

"Why are these things nocturnal? Where do they go in the day?"
"What is the significance of the 'humans' to these abominations? How can this be exploited?"
"They seem to avoid areas that are water-rich. Why?"
"Do any of these humans know how to fight them?"

These and many other questions will be asked, and answered, by the intellectual capacity of the mechanoids. When they only find one of the lethal weaknesses of vampires (of which there are several), the war is over. The mechanoids will exploit this weakness to its fullest and at best, the vampires will be rendered combat-ineffective (being confined to mist form to avoid attack) or will be exterminated.

The only possible reprieve for the vamps is if the intelligences are able to call in reinforcements from other worlds. They can prolong the war and perhaps find a way to infiltrate the mechanoid mothership and sabotage it from within. However, from what we have learned, a humanoid civilization has existed in a mechanoid ship for centuries and has not found this magic red button yet. This is a long shot for the vamps at best.

In the end, the planet will be chewed up like all the others. It isn't a matter of 'if', but 'when'.

If I am going to be accused of misdeeds and treated accordingly, then I am going to actually earn the treatment I get. Period. There is no need to hold back when I am treated with one standard and others are treated according to another standard.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com
The Vampires would have to start out as stowaways on one of their ships. Makes sense since there are many different people living between the cracks.

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:25 am

Explorer

a single master vampire smuggles 1 coffin into a mother ship - 3 days later, the first "native" vampire is born. Living off the humans and mutants in the tunnels is going to suck, but as long as they don't get killed, the vamps have forever to find out how to blow up the mother ship.

Of course, that's just one mother ship, and far to late to save the planet.

As soon as they find out the vampires are nocturnal, what's to stop them from restricting their operations to the daylight side of the planet untill they find a weakness in these strangely resiliant humanoids?

Have any of the people hiding in the tunnels fought vampires on their planet before? Has anyone who knows a their weaknesses ever used a mechanoid brain pool? If so, the mechanoids know the vampire's weaknesses.

As stated repeatedly above, once that happens (even if they only learn about sunlight) it's over for the vampires. Solar mirrors focusing sunlight on each of their towers and each of their diggers while they work would definately be right up the mechanoid's "style", but why stop there? While a few million go down to the surface to "play" with these strangely resiliant humanoids, let's surround the entire planet with a one way mirror and see just how high we can drive the tempratures, and what effect it has on the harvestable materials. Then we'll detonate the star for a new power crystal and move on, our sadistic curiosity momentarily satiated.

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:17 am

Palladin

Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Vamps are harmed by sunlight for magical reasons, not chemical or physical. It has to be actual light from the actual sun.
"The" sun of earth, or the closest sun which the planet they're on revolves around?

Plus Phantoms/Guardians

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Knight

Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.
As soon as it's daylight and the vamps hide/sleep, the mechanoids take the planet. Game over.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:
As soon as it's daylight and the vamps hide/sleep, the mechanoids take the planet. Game over.

Um... you're aware that it's always night time on half the planet, right?

Basic geometry is hard!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Knight

Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.
Thanks Rallan. You've always been such a peach.

Over the course of 24 hours as the sun shines on the planet's different bits and pieces, the vampires lose. Excuse my lack of ten page explanation.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Republican

Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.
Mechanoids absolutely win. Superior numbers, can't be turned, likely can't be controlled/enslaved and their operations will eventually consume the planet leaving the vampires no real place to hide from the sun.

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Palladin

Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.
No place except for the various astral realms without sun, or sunless dimensions, which they inhabit and thrive in.

Post subject: Re: Re:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Tor wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Vamps are harmed by sunlight for magical reasons, not chemical or physical. It has to be actual light from the actual sun.
"The" sun of earth, or the closest sun which the planet they're on revolves around?

Presumably, whichever sun the planet in question is orbiting around.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:15 am

Champion

Grell wrote:
Mechanoids absolutely win. Superior numbers, can't be turned, likely can't be controlled/enslaved and their operations will eventually consume the planet leaving the vampires no real place to hide from the sun.

Not to mention that the Mechanoids have such ridiculous numerical superiority that they just won't give a damn if they lose a fleet or three in the process of figuring out how to kill vampires. Not that the vampires have got a serious chance of wiping out a Mechanoid fleet in the first place of course.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Looking at this thread I have to wonder if the Vampires and Mechanoids will ever come into serious conflict. Vampires almost never control whole worlds and if Mechanoids come after a world vamps are on they are they intelligence is likely to just abandon it. Defeating a space based opponent with no blood or ability to be turned just seems like work.

Ultimate Insider - World Book 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - World Book 34: Northern Gun 2
Proud Showdown Level Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:16 am

Champion

Warshield73 wrote:
Looking at this thread I have to wonder if the Vampires and Mechanoids will ever come into serious conflict. Vampires almost never control whole worlds and if Mechanoids come after a world vamps are on they are they intelligence is likely to just abandon it. Defeating a space based opponent with no blood or ability to be turned just seems like work.

If the Mechanoids ever get loose in a dimension that's got supernatural beings in it, they'll come into serious conflict regularly. Or serious conflict by vampire standards anyway. They might not rule many planets, but they exist all over the damn place.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Adventurer

Mechanoids, they will start off "running in with guns blazing", they will find out things aren't working, they will decide to find out what will work, mechanoids aren't just gonna keep using the same failing strategy they are crazy, yes, but incredibly smart.

This vampire planet is going to have to have food. The mechanoids will start using psionics eventually to pull info from anything intelligent on the planet. Eventually they will find out a weakness here and there. Since they are psionically connected then once one weakness is known, they all are going to know very, very, very fast. Wont take long before they know enough to deal with the vamps.

Of course another way they can destroy the vamps, kill the food supply. The mechanoids will figure out one way or another that they need to feed on the slave stock. THen they could destroy the "food" and the vamps are done.

So some think they wont destroy the planet or wont be able too. Well don't forget the mechanoids create those power cells and they use starts for that. The mechanoids if it came down to it could just go destroy the sun and make power crystals. Sure the vampires wont have to worry about the sun, but since the temperature will drop so much, they will freeze (maybe not to death, but will be incapacitated).

Pretty much if one avenue would fail, they just have another option to go too.

plus dumb luck, with millions of mechanoids attacking vampires. Honestly with that happening the mechanoids will accidently find out weaknesses. A stray blast hits trees which fall on a vamp and see that hurts them for example. Heck a tk attack by a mechanoid hurling trees or wood at them. A fight gets close to water and with the numbers there is nothing unrational about that, and there they observe another weakness. prolonged fight and the vampires just always flee when the sun comes up, the mechanoids are too smart to not be able to put that one together. perhaps it takes a couple days but they will figure it out.

"I think you've got the solution Aegis."- Sentinel

"Enjoy the boards instead of trying to make them into your own image!!! "- Maryann

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Rallan wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

If the Mechanoids ever get loose in a dimension that's got supernatural beings in it, they'll come into serious conflict regularly. Or serious conflict by vampire standards anyway. They might not rule many planets, but they exist all over the damn place.

This is actually my point, they are everywhere. If the Mechanoids show up where they are they might try and fight but as soon as they see what they are up against, the vampire intelligence will just leave for safer feeding grounds and once the intel leaves, the vamps die.

As for finding vampire weaknesses, everyone seems to forget that in addition to being cyborgs and general technological juggernauts they are also psychic with incredibly high ME and IQ. Even if they do not get the information straight from the vamps the will undoubtedly get a fair bit of demon and monster lore from the locals.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:47 am

Palladin

Would vampire mind control work on Mechanoids? Each vamp can make 1 servant, and I think a master can make 2, could be used to glean Mechanoid-level technology one would think.

If humans could plausibly fight off Mechanoids, then vampires could too, via dominating a human civilization.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:
Would vampire mind control work on Mechanoids?

Nope, Vampire kingdom is specific that it does not work on borgs or people viewing through optics.

Tor wrote:
Each vamp can make 1 servant, and I think a master can make 2, could be used to glean Mechanoid-level technology one would think.

Again no. Borgs are immune to slow kill and even if you say the Mechanoid organism is not a true borg it could not survive outside it's body for the 3 days required before the completion of the slow kill. Most Mechanoids lack the hit points to even survive the first bite.

Tor wrote:
If humans could plausibly fight off Mechanoids, then vampires could too, via dominating a human civilization.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't everyone that has ever faced the Mechanoids lost? From humans, to Kittani, to gods every mention of them is followed by a solid but kicking. The only reason they disappeared is they destroyed themselves.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:16 pm

Palladin

Never been totally clear on the borginess of Mechs. On one hand, they get described as borgs, but on the other, they appear to be full conversion borgs who retain full use of master psionics, spitting in the eye of RMB, much less RUE which is even more restrictive.

I guess I just assumed Kev input some kind of human heroes who somehow stood a chance... lol

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:13 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:
Never been totally clear on the borginess of Mechs. On one hand, they get described as borgs, but on the other, they appear to be full conversion borgs who retain full use of master psionics, spitting in the eye of RMB, much less RUE which is even more restrictive.

There have always been exceptions to this rule. Arrak Chrome in Mercenaries is the best example. There are races with advanced cybernetics that do not interfere with psionics. Mechanoids are certainly the most advanced in that regard but not alone.

Tor wrote:
I guess I just assumed Kev input some kind of human heroes who somehow stood a chance... lol

Not to speak for KS, but in the original Mechanoids game it appears to me that one of the major plot points is that you do not stand a chance against them. I have a feeling that will be different in, should it ever be released, the new Mechanoids space books.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:23 am

Palladin

Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.
From what I seen the mechanoids in the original trilogy took on a chump planet that wasn't ready.
And somehow this lack luster victory over an inferior opponent has turned them into the most feared things in the galaxy??? Bwahaha. Come on really next time I floor a whitebelt I'm gonna be all like I'm the scourge of the galaxy. Lol.

Against an equal or idk a worthy opponent mechanoids blow. Jussayin.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:31 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

say652 wrote:
From what I seen the mechanoids in the original trilogy took on a chump planet that wasn't ready.
And somehow this lack luster victory over an inferior opponent has turned them into the most feared things in the galaxy??? Bwahaha. Come on really next time I floor a whitebelt I'm gonna be all like I'm the scourge of the galaxy. Lol.

In the original book 1 and 2 you might be correct. However, Book 3 Homeworld describes many of their enemies, all let us say black belts or above, that they were wiping the floor with before they left.

In addition the story of the Kittani, the three lords of Magic from Federation of magic and several deities in Pantheons all describe very advanced cultures that were just overwhelmed by the Mechanoids. You're right that the Mechanoids individually are not that tough, but at the risk of quoting one of histories great monsters "quantity has a quality all its own" and it is hard to beat mechanoid quantities along with what is incredible levels of cultural unity.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:00 am

Palladin

Would be great if the Horde that Arrak Chrome fought was covered in a future Palladium sourcebook, perhaps tougher than Mechanoids.

Could make good allies for the Star Hives in Phase world, since the Horde wants to destroy all organic life and the Star Hives are silicon-based.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:21 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:
Would be great if the Horde that Arrak Chrome fought was covered in a future Palladium sourcebook, perhaps tougher than Mechanoids.

Could make good allies for the Star Hives in Phase world, since the Horde wants to destroy all organic life and the Star Hives are silicon-based.

I have been dying for this since the Mercenaries book came out 20 years ago. I have used the Horde twice in my games, both times I used the Manhunters from the old Manhunter SB. However in the future I may use the robots from Splicers.

Your idea about the Star Hives is interesting, would they see them as too close to organic even though they are silicon based? I would tend to say yes but with so little information I am not sure.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Palladin

If silicon is too close to carbon it begs the question of what element the Horde is based on. Are we going by proton count in the nucleus or something? Silicon has 14 protons compared to carbon's 4, although they're both in the same column of the periodic... blah, complex.

I take it at face value, Horde hates carbon-based, tolerate anyone based on other elements.

Using Manhunter is a neat idea, always liked 'dimension book 0'. TBH I only snuck a peak at the OCCs.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:28 am

Champion

Going back to the vampire mind control question for a mo, I can't see it working. A vampire can only turn someone into a slave by repeatedly feeding on them, and good luck trying to repeatedly feed on a genocidal mutant supersoldier that spends its entire life locked in an armored life support unit inside a military combat robot.

Which leaves regular psionics (and magic, for vampires who were spellcasters before they turned), but that's gonna be of limited use. The mechanoids are bred for fanatical loyalty, they're psychics who communicate telepathically, and they're even crazier than Daleks when it comes to ruthlessly purging unorthodox behavior. I doubt any Mechanoid who's had his brain scrambled by a vampire would be able to pass unnoticed for very long. And if they had enough problems with mind-controlled Mechanoids they'd probably just send humungous forces of android against suspected vampire hotspots to minimise the risk.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
say652 wrote:

You haven't seen enough of the original trilogy, apparently.
Gideon E was just one of their snacks.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:50 am

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
Grand Marshal Lazareal wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nice analysis!
:ok: :ok:

The only thing I disagree with is #6.
Vamps are harmed by sunlight for magical reasons, not chemical or physical.
It has to be actual light from the actual sun.

I never thought about it that way before. But if it isn't a chemical or physical reaction to the light, What is it? Sunlight in and of itself I doubt is magical. So does it say why light would effect vampires?

(It's been several years since I've read vampire kingdoms)

Actually, with Fleets of the three galaxies we have a cannonical answer that Sunlight, as opposed to other sources of light, DOES inherently have supernatural properties apart from regular light. We learn this in the Dominator section where it says that cosmic energy shares the supernatural properties of true sunlight without actually being true sunlight. And of course, it couldn't copy the magical properties of sunlight without sunlight having magical properties to compare it to.

And no, Mechanoids don't have Cosmic Energy weapons, that's still a Dominator monopoly for the tech on that.

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:57 am

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
Tor wrote:

Actually, the Coalition already has a Full conversion borg prototype that retained full Mind Melter powers. The NPC is in Vampire Kingdoms the origional, just 1 book after RMB (I think he's in revised Vampire kingdoms but i'm not sure). The Cyborg escaped, but there's no reason the CS can't keep experimenting on new subjects to make it reliable.

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:49 pm

Palladin

Ah true, page 135, The Amazing Doctor Gray Matter, Coalition Experimental Psi-Borg, a full conversion borg with master psionics. He has 2 super psionic powers but I don't think he was a Mind Melter, more like epic MOM implants gave him some stuff. I gotta stop forgetting that guy.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:38 am

Dungeon Crawler

Vampires would tend to stay out of mortal-wars because, well, they are not their concerned; they don't care which prince rules, just that there are peasants to feed from. The Mechanoids are a serious threat and the vampires would join the humans to protect their food-source.