Mechnoids and Magic

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What ALL can Mechnoids learn that isnt of thier Culture

Should Mechnoids be allowed to learn magic
50%
What range of Magics should be allowed
50%

Total votes: 12

Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

It's pretty much a given that the only Mechanoids capable of learning magic would be "free thinkers" such as Runners, Brains, and definitely Oracles (seriously doubt the Overlords would even bother).

As for what type of magic: Incantations; the common stuff. I'd say stuff along the lines of Dimensional portals and ley line manipulation. The problem with a Mechanoid using, let alone learning, magic are their cyborg bodies. Classically, metal interferes with casting and, with the exception of one whacko from RIFTS Earth, cybernetics/bionics destroys the body's ability to use magic.

I'll also offer a suggestion, if you don't mind the reference to RIFTS: one form of magic that the Mechanoids would benefit the most from and actually be able to use is Techno-Wizardry. Their psionics and incredible amounts of ISP would allow them to easily figure out and power TW devices (or in the most likely case: weapons).

Who knows? If it piques their interest, they might even be able to create and clone a non-cyborg class of Mechanoid programmed to learn magic and create TW devices. Create more clones and they could mass-manufacture it.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Swift-13 wrote:It's pretty much a given that the only Mechanoids capable of learning magic would be "free thinkers" such as Runners, Brains, and definitely Oracles (seriously doubt the Overlords would even bother).

As for what type of magic: Incantations; the common stuff. I'd say stuff along the lines of Dimensional portals and ley line manipulation. The problem with a Mechanoid using, let alone learning, magic are their cyborg bodies. Classically, metal interferes with casting and, with the exception of one whacko from RIFTS Earth, cybernetics/bionics destroys the body's ability to use magic.

I'll also offer a suggestion, if you don't mind the reference to RIFTS: one form of magic that the Mechanoids would benefit the most from and actually be able to use is Techno-Wizardry. Their psionics and incredible amounts of ISP would allow them to easily figure out and power TW devices (or in the most likely case: weapons).

Who knows? If it piques their interest, they might even be able to create and clone a non-cyborg class of Mechanoid programmed to learn magic and create TW devices. Create more clones and they could mass-manufacture it.

Ditto on that :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Actually, Crazyfool, the Mechanoids' cyborg bodies are more like...extremely ergonomic power armor. If the outer shell is destroyed, the Mechanoid inside can be removed and installed into another body easily. In the alternative, for example, Mechanoid Runners actually slide out of their bodies to feed in nutrient baths.

Besides, the Mechanoids just wouldn't be as cool without their psionics! :D
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Crazyfool wrote:Thanks A million,,,i need this Swift-13,,, i wanted to hear what was bad bout it all,,,,,,,,

What's with all the commas...?

As for techno-wizardy,,, I think the mechanoids can take that to levels that may impress the splugorth and such a thing may if need to be left to "elite" groups,,, like Wasps could be souped up in body weapon style, number of weapons , force feilds,and perfomance enhancemnet that is could outrun anything sub light,,,and even a person deminsional telepoter and scanner,,,ouch.,,, thats what send to meet players who can haldle epic scale battles and want a serouis challenege that makes a splugorth weak to its stomach,,,,

Mechanoids with Technowizardry would be even scarier!
They would absolutley LOVE it, if they could find a Techno-wizard that would teach them how to make it (or be willing to enchant stuff for them in exchange for cash or just staying a alive a bit longer...)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Crazyfool wrote:Hey I want to share,,,and NOT be some stuck up jerk that want to be the next great writer,,,im a poor schmuck thats probally gonna die a poor schmuck,,so mind as well have have more fun than im suppose to right LMFAO,,i made my peace years ago to being common,,soo im Humbly sorry for the Commas,,,hope i can make a few idea thou LOL

The key to sharing is clear communication.

As for techno-wizardy and learning it,,,,as ive been told many time bout mechanoids and ANY technology,,,, object read,,,some research and development,,but if All assault mechanoids were givin techno-wizardy items,,, the Dm would have to Justify this in a mechanoid Culture,,, thou i can aleady see how it can be forseen looking at their history,,,,,,be very easy,,, but then again,,, their psychology must change for them to Accept Techno-Wizardy,,,some kind of Relolution must take place and the mechanoids allow to awaken fomr their blind rages

They're already curious about magic, so I don't think it would be a big deal for them to start using Techno-Wizardry. They'd adapt to it like we have to cell phones.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Angryjack wrote:in the original mechanoids Rpg Oracles could cast regular magic.

No, they couldn't.
Quit making stuff up.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

mechaniods with magic or tw, that just is scary in so many ways
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Mechnoids and Magic

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Crazyfool wrote:i will psot more in detail later,,,but for know i am experimenting with mechnoids and magic in a home game I run with a couple of freinds,,,,
i seek much input about this for now whether it is as stupid as my name or very novel idea for a truly powerful foe

TY Justin

According to the Mechanoids Sourcebook for Rifts, the study of magic is forbidden to the Mechanoids. They may observe the phenomenon, but can't actually learn to harness it; Given their narrow mindset, it seems unlikely that they would have the unwavering belief required for its use anyway.

The AbM Mechanoids may be able to learn magic, though only the AbM Runner is ever explcitly stated as having this option.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Sure, take all the fun out of it. :P
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Swift-13 wrote:It's pretty much a given that the only Mechanoids capable of learning magic would be "free thinkers" such as Runners, Brains, and definitely Oracles (seriously doubt the Overlords would even bother).

Thus I am desturbed by the thought.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

And that's the lovely fun of it! :D
Remember who you wanted to be.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

IF the mechanoids learn magic and dimensional travel...they win.

I'd say they simply can't learn magic, ever, the machines interfear somehow
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

While I would probably have to say no to the current Mechanoids learning magic, considering their skills in genetic engineering, what if they made a full-bodied Mechanoid specifically to cast magic. On a place like Rifts Earth, it wouldn't be that hard for them to find a magic rich species, clone one, and write a Mechanoid mind over the existing one while it is being formed. Add in some minor cybernetics under the surface to make it fit in with the other Mechanoids, and voila! A Mechanoid LLW.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

devillin wrote:While I would probably have to say no to the current Mechanoids learning magic, considering their skills in genetic engineering, what if they made a full-bodied Mechanoid specifically to cast magic. On a place like Rifts Earth, it wouldn't be that hard for them to find a magic rich species, clone one, and write a Mechanoid mind over the existing one while it is being formed. Add in some minor cybernetics under the surface to make it fit in with the other Mechanoids, and voila! A Mechanoid LLW.

The ability to use magic isn't a genetic trait.
It just takes a strong enough believe and understanding, something that the mechanoids could accomplish.

Their cybernetic bodies might interfere, but then again it doesn't interfere with their psionic powers so it might not interfere with magic either.

Hmmm... if they captured a Splugorth Slave Barge they might be able to figure out (or "convince" a human techno-wizard to do it for them) how to put a mechanoid in the cockpit of the thing. Then he could survive on Rifts Earth without a containment suit, and could cast magic freely.

devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Killer Cyborg wrote:The ability to use magic isn't a genetic trait.
It just takes a strong enough believe and understanding, something that the mechanoids could accomplish.

We know that, but the Mechanoids wouldn't. What they would know would come from what they can observe. What would they observe? Some creatures from a race can cast magic, others can't. Since there isn't anything noticably different between them, the difference must be genetic. Think of the episode of Charmed where that doctor thought Piper's healing was something genetic, instead of a magical healing. The Mechanoids would think exactly along the same lines. They have several hundred failures, then imagine their surprise when they come upon one of the races where specific members of the race are born and bred magical, not taught; like say Gargoyles. They clone a Gargoyle Mage and use it as their basis for a magical-born Mechanoid.

Their cybernetic bodies might interfere, but then again it doesn't interfere with their psionic powers so it might not interfere with magic either.

For the more powerful Mechanoids, like the Oracle and Overlord, I don't think they would have a problem learning magic. Shell or no shell.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Swift-13 wrote:Who knows? If it piques their interest, they might even be able to create and clone a non-cyborg class of Mechanoid programmed to learn magic and create TW devices. Create more clones and they could mass-manufacture it.

Ahhhhhh!!!! Cylons!!!!
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Killer Cyborg
Priest

devillin wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The ability to use magic isn't a genetic trait.

We know that, but the Mechanoids wouldn't. What they would know would come from what they can observe. What would they observe? Some creatures from a race can cast magic, others can't. Since there isn't anything noticably different between them, the difference must be genetic.

Or they just assume that it's a learned skill. Not every human is a doctor or lawyer, but it would be odd to assume that those were genitic talents.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Mechnoids and Magic

Unread post by The Beast »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Crazyfool wrote:i will psot more in detail later,,,but for know i am experimenting with mechnoids and magic in a home game I run with a couple of freinds,,,,
i seek much input about this for now whether it is as stupid as my name or very novel idea for a truly powerful foe

TY Justin

According to the Mechanoids Sourcebook for Rifts, the study of magic is forbidden to the Mechanoids. They may observe the phenomenon, but can't actually learn to harness it; Given their narrow mindset, it seems unlikely that they would have the unwavering belief required for its use anyway.

The AbM Mechanoids may be able to learn magic, though only the AbM Runner is ever explcitly stated as having this option.

I was just about to point that out.

Return to “The Mechanoids®”