Board index » SDC Worlds » The Mechanoids®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:19 am

Explorer

How do all the Mechanoid fans feel about using Mechanoids in the other Palladium systems? (Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, Heros, BTS...)

What changes would you make to them in each setting to compensate for the varying styles of RP?

I'm really curious about this one so I'd like to hear people's opinions on it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:03 pm

Adventurer

Quote:
How do all the Mechanoid fans feel about using Mechanoids in the other Palladium systems? (Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, Heros, BTS...)

What changes would you make to them in each setting to compensate for the varying styles of RP?

I'm really curious about this one so I'd like to hear people's opinions on it.

I think the mechanoids can fit in really well in most other palladium universes. But there needs to be some balance to it. With the exception of Phase World (and maybe the AU part of the HU2 universe), you really cannot bring a whole mothership into the other universes, there is just too many mechanoid to realistically have any chance of defeating.

For worlds like the Palladium workd and BTS small groups of them (like under 10 I would dare say maybe less) would be needed .
For universes like the Nightbane and Systems failure, you probably could bring in a whole mothership since the main bad guys the Nightlords and the Bugs should be able to take care of the threat (I can just tell the arguments I am going to start on this one :lol: ). But what would the fun be of having them there if the baddies are going to be the ones killing them.
Rifts already has a book on it, i think that the numbers of mechanoids rifted in need to be increased though. I always thought that force was too small to really do any kind of damage or cause problems with all the forces out to get the (at the time) devouring swarm. Thats my opinion of course

I think the premis of the mechanoids is great for the other books, crazy murderous beings who surround themselves in cybernetic shells just remember to balance things so they arent overpowering.

Just some thoughs
Aegis :-D

"I think you've got the solution Aegis."- Sentinel

"Enjoy the boards instead of trying to make them into your own image!!! "- Maryann

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:32 pm

Explorer

I had been thinking of how to add them to BTS in such a way that it doesn't feel like aliens attacking at first.

One concept was that they were experimenting with teleportation for much faster strikes and circumventing orbital defences but something went wrong and most of the attack force was destroyed when they 'landed' on earth leavign a paltry few to complete their mission.

Fortune smiled upon them because they landed within range of one of those UFO cults and after the remaining mechanoids realised that these humans were worshipping them akin to gods they rethought their stragety.

Soon the cult was given orders from their new masters that they were the ones chosen to inherit the earth once it was 'cleansed' of the impure heretics. And so a simple group of harmless loonies are being transformed into a fanatical death-cult.

Post subject: Some problems
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:05 pm

Adventurer

Some problems that creep into this:

1) For assaulting, the Mechanoids standard is to arrive with a Mothership, which is roughly the size of the North American continent and brings them in by the millions (~600 million Wasps and 40 million Brutes to give one an idea). So if a teleport went "SPLAT!" then it's just a shrug of their metallic shoulders and then send down the orbital bombardment followed by waves of homicidal cyborgs. Not to mention that BTS Earth really has nothing to threaten them with to force testing a 'fast assault' -method.

2) The acceptance of a UFO cult is a bit of a stretch. Mechanoids are insanely and irrationally hateful of humanoids. Even beyond this homicidal pathology there's the weighting of playing the 'god card' versus security. The mechanoids will likely choose the security option which means liquidating any that know of their arrival and then going to ground to await rescue with some ambushing of humans on the side for experiments, intelligence, and just plain 'anger management therepy' Mechanoid-style.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:48 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

I'm getting ready to run a huge robotech campaign set in the year 2080. During the campaign, which will be fleet based, they will discover a Mechanoid ship. I'm going to led up to it like they led up to the Borg in Star Trek.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:05 am

Explorer

easy, fire the main gun. Although, that would happen maybe twice before the mechanoids sent HUGE waves against the robotech defenders. It would be one hell of a fight, but do you think that they could handle between 500 million to a billion mechanoids? They have a genocidal hatred of all bipedal lifeforms and are responsible for the massive obliteration of hundreds, maybe even thousands of races. Not to mention about half of them are mind melter class psychics.

It would have to be one hell of a fleet to even take on one mothership! It would be interesting though, Id actually like to hear about that campaign.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:41 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

I've been working on and off the campaign for three years. It's based off of my old campaign I ended three years ago in the year 2045. There's peace in the area. All the main races, except for the Invid, are members of the Sentenial Alliance. I've based the background story off of The Third Invid War webpage. Finally, after the wars are done and the rebuilding complete, the Sentinels have allowed commissioning of a exploration fleet.

I'm running the game in seasons. Each season equals one year of game time. At the start of the first season, the players will have finished their training and started their regular duties somewhere within the Alliance. Their duties will depend on the characters' actions. If one character is rude, disobiedent, etc., he/she may find themselves on a cargo ship, while one who is respectful and does their duty, may find themselves on a cruiser. Players most likely will not be in the same unit depending on their actions.

In the second season, they get their assignments to the fleet. Near the end of the season, I plan for them to find a colony missing. Not just the people, but the entire system. They only find debris.

In the third season, they will encounter more evidence of the Mechanoids and will have opportunities to fight scouting forces. It will lead up to a big fight against a mothership at the end of the season. Also, they will find a huge gate like structure in which ships can pass through. This will be a one way gate to Phase World.

After the third season, the sessions will take place in the larger Mega-verse. They will encounter anything from the Phase World books to some races in the Aliens Unlimited book. Of course, from time to time, I'm going to run encounters with the Mechanoids.

Even though they will be part of a fleet, I'm not assigning a SDF-class to the fleet. The biggest ship will be a Zentraedi flagship with it's main gun removed and converted into a mobile factory.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:09 am

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Chamalkan wrote:

Palladium Fantasy:

Option 1:
The Mechanoids are at full MDC capabilities and are set on eating the planet. This would pretty much run like the original Mechanoid trilogy (no chance to save the world).

Option 2:
The Mechanoids are MDC, but only a small group is sent. They are few, but virtually unstoppable. I'd run it kind of like a fantasy version of the "Tripods Trilogy" books.

Option 3:
The Mechanoids are numerous, but they are only SDC. Large-scale warefare and unusual alliances might force the Mechanoids back (for a while...)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:29 am

Wanderer

Comment: Palladium Chronicler
The Mechanoids have already officially shown up in Heroes Unlimited via the Justice Machine supplement.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:55 am

Dungeon Crawler

Come to think of it, I was planning on adding the Megaverse's Favorite Cyborg Bastards for a couple of rounds in my Palladium FRPG campaign. Not to redirect the topic, but think that would be a good idea?

Post subject: Crossovers
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:32 pm

Dungeon Crawler

It's best to import Mechanoids in small piecemeal groups in other genres. The entire invasion portion could be overwhelming.

As for Robotech crossovers, the main guns of the SDF / Zentraedi / Marduk ships can destroy Mechanoid battlecruisers, yet against a Mothership, I tend to use the crater damage (it makes a crater in the Mothership so many miles in diameter and so many feet deep).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.