Rogue Mechanoids? ...Demons vs. Mechanoids sub thread

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Rogue Mechanoids? ...Demons vs. Mechanoids sub thread

Unread post by The Beast »

Nightfactory wrote:Warshield73 and I were having a debate about the Mechanoids vs. The Demon Fleet and I suggested that the Demons might be able to corrupt the Mechanoids.

The Mechanoids Invasion Trillogy book, p122, in the description of the Exterminator says:

The Exterminator is a born predator which delights in the hunt and destruction of other living creatures (including rogue Mechanoids).

So far as I know, the only Mechanoids that could potentially go rogue are the Overlord, Brain, and the Oracle. Are these the only ones who could go rogue or are their others?

If the Demons could corrupt a Overlord, whom virtually all other Mechanoids must obey (at least on that ship), that could have potentially nasty results, don't you think? :-P

As of SB2 Oracles were "fixed" so they can no longer go rouge. Also, in the same book, there are the AbM Mechanoids that would be hunted down by the Mechanoids.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

In a fanatical intolerant society 'rouge' has a wide latitude. Rouge doesn't have to mean 'likes humans' it could mean 'hates bipeds insuficently' or 'thinks that four armed mermen are non-biped enough'
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightfactory wrote:
eliakon wrote:In a fanatical intolerant society 'rouge' has a wide latitude. Rouge doesn't have to mean 'likes humans' it could mean 'hates bipeds insuficently' or 'thinks that four armed mermen are non-biped enough'

I, also, feel that four-armed mermen are non-biped enough. :wink:

That's it humi-lover. Time to break out the Exterminators :bandit:

On a serious note I can see internal conflict as each group strives to be more ideologically pure than the other. Societies where deviation from the norm is punishable from death this is a natural result. You can look at the Soviet Union under Stalin, Maoist China, North Korea, and many other examples.....And when everyone's a telepath to boot....*shudders*
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Absolutely!

But remember, that semi-independence of Oracles is useful in protecting the species. If a Brain or Overlord were to be possessed by a demon or just glitch or otherwise go rogue, the Oracle is the only Mechanoid who might notice instead of just obeying blindly.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Overlords and brains are tough customers so possession is hard, also other mechs plus the brain pools would not likely be fooled by it. Too many psionics. I think you could potentially corrupt a few runners, brutes, maybe even a few brains. I just don't think you could ever corrupt or possess enough to make a difference on even a Mechanoid Battleship, much less a mother ship.

The only people who stand a chance against the Mechanoids are large groups of advanced (technologically, magically, psionically, etc.) and unified peoples with some sort of edge. Better weapons, cloaking technology, advanced electronic warfare, magic defenses that limit the effect of mechanoid energy weapons. There is no silver bullet with these guys.

Best example to me, Mass Effect 3. Reapers=Mechanoids.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Warshield73 wrote:Overlords and brains are tough customers so possession is hard, also other mechs plus the brain pools would not likely be fooled by it. Too many psionics. I think you could potentially corrupt a few runners, brutes, maybe even a few brains. I just don't think you could ever corrupt or possess enough to make a difference on even a Mechanoid Battleship, much less a mother ship.

The only people who stand a chance against the Mechanoids are large groups of advanced (technologically, magically, psionically, etc.) and unified peoples with some sort of edge. Better weapons, cloaking technology, advanced electronic warfare, magic defenses that limit the effect of mechanoid energy weapons. There is no silver bullet with these guys.

Your all aiming too low. Why corrupt the drones? Corrupt the Ship Brain..........

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

eliakon wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:Overlords and brains are tough customers so possession is hard, also other mechs plus the brain pools would not likely be fooled by it. Too many psionics. I think you could potentially corrupt a few runners, brutes, maybe even a few brains. I just don't think you could ever corrupt or possess enough to make a difference on even a Mechanoid Battleship, much less a mother ship.

Your all aiming too low. Why corrupt the drones? Corrupt the Ship Brain..........

Have you read the stats on Brain Pools & Master Computer Brain? The Brain Pools have no personality to speak, probably not entirely sentient, and not sure that they can make any real changes to the systems (from the description it might be read-only).

The Master Brain Pools are 20th level psychics that can rewrite your brain without a saving throw and is effectively an Alien Intelligence.

Now as I read the description I came up with the idea that if you destroy the master brain pool (there is only one per mother ship) a demon or other advanced being might be able to control or poses an individual computer brain. But there are 10 on spider fortress, millions on a mother ship and each controls only one small area or function so I am not sure what it gets you.

What I love about the brain pools (and especially the master brain pool) is that it gives you a target on a mother ship for a PC group to go after. About 6 or 7 years ago I helped a guy on the forums write an entire Phase World campaign were the PC group boarded, scouted, found, and then at a pre-arranged time destroyed the master brain pool just before the mother ship was attacked.

To me, this is the demons best line of attack against Mechanoids.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Warshield73 wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Have you read the stats on Brain Pools & Master Computer Brain? The Brain Pools have no personality to speak, probably not entirely sentient, and not sure that they can make any real changes to the systems (from the description it might be read-only).

The Master Brain Pools are 20th level psychics that can rewrite your brain without a saving throw and is effectively an Alien Intelligence.

Now as I read the description I came up with the idea that if you destroy the master brain pool (there is only one per mother ship) a demon or other advanced being might be able to control or poses an individual computer brain. But there are 10 on spider fortress, millions on a mother ship and each controls only one small area or function so I am not sure what it gets you.

What I love about the brain pools (and especially the master brain pool) is that it gives you a target on a mother ship for a PC group to go after. About 6 or 7 years ago I helped a guy on the forums write an entire Phase World campaign were the PC group boarded, scouted, found, and then at a pre-arranged time destroyed the master brain pool just before the mother ship was attacked.

To me, this is the demons best line of attack against Mechanoids.

Yerp the Master Brain is basicly an AI.....sounds like the perfect target for a bunch of demons lords that are effectively gods.
I didn't say it was going to be EASY, I just said that if you can do it, you have pretty much co-opted all the subordinate mechanoids.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

The big kicker with trying to corrupt a Mechanoid is that the entire civilisation is
a) fanatical about rooting out deviant or unorthodox thought from its own ranks (kinda like the Daleks in Doctor Who)
and
b) psychic.

So if a demon did use spells or psionics or his supernatural abilities to turn a Mechanoid, the only thing he'd get for his troubles would be... a Mechanoid. It might be able to hide its deviance and spy for a little while before it gets caught, or long enough to do a kamikaze sabotage, but that's about it.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rallan wrote:The big kicker with trying to corrupt a Mechanoid is that the entire civilisation is
a) fanatical about rooting out deviant or unorthodox thought from its own ranks (kinda like the Daleks in Doctor Who)
and
b) psychic.

So if a demon did use spells or psionics or his supernatural abilities to turn a Mechanoid, the only thing he'd get for his troubles would be... a Mechanoid. It might be able to hide its deviance and spy for a little while before it gets caught, or long enough to do a kamikaze sabotage, but that's about it.

I agree. The best use here for the demons would be to take over or coopt a mechanoid (or small group of mechanoids) for a specific job.

Maybe a Kamikaze run on a few brain pools that control defense or on the master brain pool?
The Beast

Amaaz wrote:Warshield73 and I were having a debate about the Mechanoids vs. The Demon Fleet and I suggested that the Demons might be able to corrupt the Mechanoids.

The Mechanoids Invasion Trillogy book, p122, in the description of the Exterminator says:

The Exterminator is a born predator which delights in the hunt and destruction of other living creatures (including rogue Mechanoids).

So far as I know, the only Mechanoids that could potentially go rogue are the Overlord, Brain, and the Oracle. Are these the only ones who could go rogue or are their others?

If the Demons could corrupt a Overlord, whom virtually all other Mechanoids must obey (at least on that ship), that could have potentially nasty results, don't you think? :badbad: :eek: :x

The new Oracles were "fixed" so they no longer would be able to go rouge.
The Beast

J.L. Duncan wrote:Palladium Published without permission of consent.

Huh? :?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

The Beast wrote:

A person went through a bit ago and spam-bombed all the threads. You can safely ignore it.

The Beast

eliakon wrote:
The Beast wrote:

A person went through a bit ago and spam-bombed all the threads. You can safely ignore it.

Yeah, you're 20 days late on that.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

The Beast wrote:
eliakon wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Yeah, you're 20 days late on that.

When corrupting things (whether threads or Mechanoids) a good necromancer is always helpful :D

Or its just that I only check this forum every week or three because its so slow. One of the two.

Return to “The Mechanoids®”