Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » Megaverse phpBB Bugs/Wish List

Unread postPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Champion

Comment: Old Ones officially downgraded from 'Great' to 'Adequate'
I would like to the see the rules of the forum applied equally to everyone.

That's all.

sexykitty wrote:
Spoken by the guy the who gives legal advice to the Devils Advocate. lol :ok: :ok:

Carl Gleba wrote:
You gotta love Snuzzels. He's the snoop dog of the forums :ok:

CS Special Forces wrote:
Little Snuzzles..your my hero! :ok:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Part of the issue is that unless a post is reported, the mods can't respond to a rule being broken, because they won't generally run into it themselves. It's not like every mod reads every post in every thread, so they can generally only put out fires when they get a call about it (i.e., they can only Warn or Ban if the offense is brought to their attention).

Another part of the problem is that there's no real way for us to tell how even the enforcement IS. Sometimes a person gets a public warning, sometimes they get a PM, sometimes both.
And even when it's a public warning, we can't really tell if it's the warned person's first offense, or their tenth, or what.
I was in a situation recently where both I and another poster broke the rules. We both got warned. The other person got warned publicly, though, and I did not.
The result was that the other person made two false assumptions: 1) that I had reported their post, and 2) that I had NOT been warned, even though he had.
And even if I had been banned, there would have been no way for him to know about it, other than waiting for a week and seeing if I post again. (which might just be me taking a week off for other reasons)
This kind of thing can lead to people misreading the situation, and that poster might well believe at this point that I received some kind of preferential treatment, or that the punishment dished out had been uneven.

Personally, I think that there is a greater perception of uneven moderation than there is actual unevenness.

The only kind of solution that I can come up with is some kind of public pillory, as I've seen on other websites- a list of banned offenders, with a statement detailing their offense, and a link to the offending post where possible. And there might be some kind of system where a public notation is made under a person's name that lists how many Warnings they currently have.
BUT there's a pretty big downside there, which is that some people will want to argue with the mods over each and every warning/ban issued, claiming that it was unfair and/or that an exception should have been made, and/or that the mods are showing favoritism.
This kind of thing would put a LOT of drag on the system, and stir up unfair resentments against the moderation team.

While I fully agree that the current system is far from perfect, I really don't see any way to make things better without significant risk of making them worse.
Also, remember that the mods are unpaid volunteers. They might not be perfect, but they're doing this in their spare time, in order to help out.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:36 am

Dungeon Crawler

Little Snuzzles wrote:
I would like to the see the rules of the forum applied equally to everyone.

That's all.

I don't think there is any bark left on the tree, we've been over this eleventy seven times. Short of Rain Man coming through with a miracle, best your gonna get is what we got.